Revised 22 Nov. 2010, Gen. 90
DESCENDANTS OF BACHELOR/BARTLETT GRAVES AND RHODA CLAY OF VA AND WILSON CO., TN.
Bachelor Graves (1) was born about 1760 in Halifax Co., Va., died 31 March 1827, intestate, in Wilson Co., Tenn., and was buried on the family farm in Wilson Co. According to a 1958 letter from Dixon Merritt to William F. Graves, Bachelor was buried "on a hilltop on what is now the Joe N. and J. T. Arrington farm" in Wilson Co.
It is suspected that the name Bachelor was a nickname, and that his given name was Bartlett and his middle name may have been Bartholomew. One of his sons was also known as Bachelor (or Bacheldor or Batchler), but Dixon Merritt (see below) also identified him as Bartholomew and Bartlett, Jr.
Documentation for Bachelor (Sr.) places him in Halifax Co., Va. in 1801, 1804, and 1806. One of the Bartlett Graves in the 1820 census of Wilson Co., Tenn. is probably him. He was a farmer.
Bachelor married Rhoda Clay, and their marriage bond was dated 28 Oct. 1784 in Amelia Co., Va. She was born about 1864 in Va., and died 22 March 1829 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She was probably a daughter of Thomas Clay and Ann Powell. This link is established primarily on the basis that a Bachelder Graves was a bondsman for Dicey Clay who married Charles Dunaway in Jan. 1790 in Amelia Co., Va. Since Dicey was under legal age, Ann Clay signed her consent to the marriage.
If one accepts these relationships, then Rhoda's lineage can be traced back 6 generations to the immigrant Clay (John, born about 1592 in England, came to Va. prior to 1616, probably aboard the ship Treasurer). However, some of the documentation proving the posited lineage may not be of the highest quality.
Mr. Dixon Merritt, deceased, a respected Tenn. newspaperman, historian and genealogist of Wilson Co., Tenn., wrote in 1958 as follows: "Bartlett Graves I was born in Halifax Co., Va., but we don't know just where. On Oct. 22, 1784, he married Rhoda Clay of Amelia Co., Va. About 1805 they moved to Wilson Co., Tenn., and settled on Spring Creek in what we now call the Greenwood community. There they lived, reared their family, and died. They are buried on top of a hill on what is now the Joe N. and J. T. Arrington farm." Bartlett (or Bachelor) was apparently a good friend of Dixon Merritt's great-grandfather, James Merritt.
James Merritt did not go to Wilson Co., Tenn. He died in 1797 in Moore Co., N.C. His widow, Nancy Merritt, their children and their families went to Wilson Co. in 1805. The Clemmons family also went to Wilson Co. in 1805. Since Nancy Merritt and Martha Clemmons were sisters, Mrs. Thelma Landrum believes they all moved together.
There is not good documentation for any of the children of Bachelor and Rhoda. Bartlett Jr. has been assumed because of Dixon Merritt's statements, name similarity, and proximity. Mary is considered a child mainly because of the bondsman relationship to Bachelor. As regards Asa and Joel, they were present at the estate sale of both Bachelor and Rhoda, and bought items, as did Bachelor (Bacheldor) and a Lorenzo D. Graves. If we assume Asa and Joel to be the children of Bachelor and Rhoda on the rather thin evidence of the estate sales, then perhaps Lorenzo D. should also be considered a son. He married Jane Alexander on 9 March 1829 in Wilson Co., Tenn.
In the 1870 census of Collin Co., Texas, there is a Joseph Graves, farm laborer, listed in the Lorenzo James Graves household. His age is given as 66 and place of birth as Va. There is no other known record of this Joseph Graves in Texas. As further evidence that he may be a son of Bartlett and Rhoda, in the Tennessee Civil War Veterans Questionnaires, p. 1870, Benjamin Dugger Rogers (grandson of Sally Smith (Graves) Rogers) states that "My great uncles Joseph and Bartlett Graves also served with General Jackson in all his campaigns." There is documentation that Bartlett served in the War of 1812, but not under General Jackson. However, similar documentation for Joseph's service has not been found. (R‑1, R‑6)
Children - Graves
2. Thomas Graves, m. Susan ("Susie") Anderson, 1 Oct. 1809 (Amelia Co., Va.).
+3. Bartlett Graves, Jr., b. 1790, m. Nancy Ann Ferrington, 2 June 1816, d. 19 June 1871.
+4. Sarah Smith Graves, b. 12 March 1793, m. Henry Harper Rogers, 30 Oct. 1811, d. 26 May 1871.
+5. Asa Graves, b.c. 1796, m. Sally Jones, 23 Sept. 1824, d. after 1870.
+6. Nancy Graves, b.c. 1798, m. Henry Mitchell, 22 Dec. 1819.
+7. Jane Graves, b.c. 1801, m. Richard Jones, 2 Oct. 1823.
+8. Joel Graves, b. 1803, m. Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1825, d.c. 1870.
+9. Rhoda Graves, m. Robert Irwin.
+10. Mary Graves, m. Richard Anderson, 5 Dec. 1804.
+11. Joseph Graves, b.c. 1804, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 1924.
12. Lorenzo D. Graves, m. Jane Alexander, 9 March 1829 (Wilson Co., TN), d.c. 1835 (Wilson Co., TN; estate sale 1835, Wilson Co., TN).
CHILDREN OF BACHELOR GRAVES (1) AND RHODA CLAY
Bartlett (or Bachelor) Graves, Jr. (3) was born in 1790 in VA, probably in Amelia Co., died 19 June 1871 in Wilson Co., TN, and was buried on the Obediah Merritt farm in Wilson Co. He was a farmer, and was in the War of 1812. He married Nancy Ann Ferrington, daughter of John Ferrington of Wilson Co., TN, on 2 June 1816 in Lebanon (?), Wilson Co., TN. Bondsman was James Bradon. She was born 1798 in N.C., and died 15 Oct. 1876 in Wilson Co., Tenn. (Death date and age of 78 at death from old Bible.) She may have been buried in the Rutland Church Cem., Wilson Co., Tenn. All their children were born in Wilson Co., Tenn.
Some of the Merritts think Nancy Ferrington's name was spelled Farrington. A James Merritt married a Sallie Farrington. It is also claimed that Nancy’s father was Jehu Farrington.
From History of Wilson County, edited by Dixon Merritt, p. 302: "Bartlett (or Batchelor, as he was sometimes known) Graves entered the military service June 23, 1812, two days after Phillips got to Nashville and gave his message to Governor Blount. Graves thereby ....
Unlike most Wilson County soldiers of this war, Bartlett Graves did not serve with Jackson in the South, but with William Henry Harrison in the Northwest. His record shows him to have been a fife major in the 24th Regular United States Infantry. He was discharged at Louisville, Ky., Dec. 27, 1813."
From p. 321 of the same book, following a description of a company of Confederate soldiers being readied for service at Lebanon, Tenn. about 1862: "Piping the boys in grey off to war was Bartlett (Batchelor) Graves, soldier of the War of 1812, over 70, and without a tooth in his head, but still ready to do his part."
In addition to the children listed below, there may also have been another daughter who married Jack Donelson. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑7)
Children - Graves
+13. Lorenzo James Graves, b. 17 Nov. 1818, m. Mary Thompson Merritt, 27 Jan. 1842, d. 1 Sept. 1886.
+14. Lourane E. Graves, b. 17 Nov. 1820, m. Green B. Merritt, 19 Sept. 1839, d. Nov. 1879.
15. Martha Abegail (or Abigail?) Graves, m. William Donaldson (or Donelson), 24 June 1844 (Wilson Co., TN).
16. Mary ("Polly") Graves, b. 1828 (?), m. Lonsdale Graves.
+17. Esther Caroline Graves, b. 13 Feb. 1829, m. Thomas Tuggle Alloway, 1 June 1849, d. 9 Feb. 1909.
+18. Elvina Graves, b.c. 1830, m(1) John Drennon, 12 July 1848, m(2) Dick Martin.
19. Nancy Emmeline Graves, b.c. 1835-38, never married.
20. Bartlett Houston (called Houston or "Sam") Graves, b.c. 1841, d. Texas.
+21. Reuben Monroe Graves, b. 4 Feb. 1845, m. Mary Ann Frances Reed, 7 Oct. 1866, d. 28 March 1919.
Sarah (“Sallie”) Smith Graves (4) was born 12 March 1793 in Halifax Co., VA (or possibly in KY or TN), and died 26 May 1871 in Wilson Co., TN. She married Henry Harper Rogers, son of George Rogers and Frances ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 30 Oct. 1811 in Lebanon, Wilson Co., Tenn. (according to Wilson Co. records on LDS microfilm). John Ferrington was bondsman. (Could he have been a brother of Nancy Ferrington who married Bartlett Graves, Jr., brother of Sallie?) Henry Rogers was born 29 Aug. 1788 in Chatham Co., NC, and died 2 Feb. 1843 in Wilson Co., TN.
Their marriage record seems to show that her maiden name was either Graves and she first married a Mr. Jones or her maiden name was Jones and she first married a Mr. Graves. This raises the possibility that she was the Sally Jones who married Asa Graves in 1824. That does not seem possible if her marriage to Henry Rogers was in 1811. Also, her birthdate of 1793 makes her only 18 when she was married in 1811, not giving her much time for a prior marriage. More evidence is needed to sort out the possibilities. If she was born Sallie (or Sally) Jones, then she wasn't a Graves at all, and her children by Henry Rogers would not have been Graves descendants.
All the children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑5, R‑10)
Children - Rogers
22. George Washington Rogers, b. 21 Oct. 1812, d. 25 April 1880.
23. James Braden Rogers, b. 8 Feb. 1814, m. Mary Ann Prim, 3 Oct. 1839 (Wilson Co., TN, W. B. Tarvee, J.P., G. W. Rogers, bondsman). James may have moved to KY and may have been a sheriff in TN. He may have first married Frances Bagby.
24. Louisa Harriet Rogers, b. 10 Jan. 1816, m(1) Tobias Henderson Chandler, 1 (or 2) Jan. 1840 (Wilson Co., TN, A. H. Russell, bondsman), m(2) John Oglesby, Oct. 1858 (Salem, IL), d. Feb. 1891 (Salem, IL). Tobias was b. 6 March 1816 in Wilson Co., TN, and d.c. 1846 in Marion co., IL, son of Eddins Chandler and Huldy Sherrill. John Oglesby d. Feb. 1897 in Salem, Marion Co., IL.
+25. Asa Graves Rogers, b. 22 Jan. 1818, m. Sarah Ann Paulina Chandler, 1 Jan. 1840, d. 18 Dec. 1893.
+26. Lucinda Green Rogers, b. 10 Dec. (or Nov.) 1819, m(1) John Wesley Chandler, 2 Dec. 1839, m(2) Robert Henry Sargeant, 10 Oct. 1853, d. 19 Dec. 1898.
+27. William Riley Rogers, b. 20 Dec. 1821, m. Martha Jane Emeline Horn, 5 June 1845, d. 2 Sept. 1879.
28. Jane Thomas Rogers, b. 5 Feb. 1824, m. Thomas Rogers, 12 Jan. 1843 (Wilson Co., TN), d. after 1850 (AR).
Asa Graves (5) was born about 1796 in VA, and died after 1870 in TN (since he was in the 1870 census). He married Sally Jones on 23 (or 22) Sept. 1824 in Wilson Co., TN. She died before 1850 in TN. He was in the 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN. Louisa Chandler, age 35, with two sons was living with him; she was a daughter of his sister Sallie. Living next door was Lorenzo Graves, age 32, son of Asa’s brother Bartlett. He was in the 1860 census for Wilson Co., TN, living with his son William. He was in the 1870 census for Wilson Co., TN, as head of household, with his son William’s widow and 2 children living with him. He has not been found in the 1880 census. All the children of Asa and Sally were born in TN. (R‑10)
Children - Graves
29. Riley Graves (?), not in 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN. Listed as a son by R‑10. There was a Riley Graves, b.c. 1828, in Blount Co., TN in 1850, but it seems unlikely that he was of this family. Perhaps son James R. Graves was called Riley.
+30. Francis M. Graves, b.c. 1830, m. Angeline ‑‑‑‑‑‑, prob. d. 1860-1870.
31. James R. Graves, b.c. 1833.
+32. William H. Graves, b.c. 1837, m. Mary E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, prob. d. 1860-1870.
Nancy Graves (6) was born about 1798 in VA. She married Henry Mitchell on 22 Dec. 1819 in Wilson Co., TN. They were in the 1850 census for Lebanon, Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co. (R‑2)
Children - Mitchell
33. Lorenzo M. Mitchell, b.c. 1832.
34. Matilda Mitchell, b.c. 1833.
35. Jessee C. C. Mitchell, b.c. 1837.
Jane ("Jinsey") Graves (7) was born about 1801 in VA. She married Richard Jones on 2 Oct. 1823 in Wilson Co., TN. He was born about 1800 in TN. They were in the 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co. (R‑2)
Children - Jones
37. Edward Jones, b. 1828.
38. William Jones, b. 1831.
39. Louisa Jones, b. 1834.
40. Lorenzo Jones, b. 1837.
41. Francina Jones, b. 1840.
42. James Jones, b. 1841.
Joel Graves (8) was born in 1803 in Va., and died about 1870 in Wilson Co., Tenn. He married Elizabeth (perhaps Prior) about 1825. (In the Marriages of Wilson Co., Tenn., 1802-1850, on p. 150, is listed the marriage of Joseph Graves and Elizabeth Prior, 22 Feb. 1837, by Thomas Davis, J.P., Burrell Reaves, BM. Could this Joseph have been Joel's brother?) Elizabeth was born in 1810 in Tenn., and her death date is unknown. Based on the 1850 census for Wilson Co., Tenn., all their children were born in Tenn.
In the 1850 census for Wilson Co., there is a Joel F. Graves listed as 23 years old (b.c. 1827), born in Tenn. It is possible that he is also a son of Joel and Elizabeth Graves.
Neither Joel nor Joel F. Graves have been found in the Wilson Co., Tenn. census for 1870. In the 1880 census, Joel T. Graves, 76 years old, is listed in the household of S. W. Graves, 42 years of age, born in Tenn. and a farmer. Joel is listed as father of S. W. Graves, and born in Va. (This certainly appears to be Joel Graves in 1880 living in the household of his son Samuel W. Graves. If so, Joel obviously didn't die about 1870, but rather after 1880.) (R‑1)
Children - Graves
43. Elizabeth Graves, b.c. 1829.
44. Eliza Graves, b.c. 1830.
45. Lorenzo Graves, b.c. 1833.
+46. Samuel W. Graves, b. 17 Jan. 1838, m. Mary F. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 7 Dec. 1870, d. 21 June 1925.
47. James Graves, b.c. 1841.
48. Sophia Graves, b.c. 1842.
49. Sarah Graves, b.c. 1843.
Rhoda Graves (9) was born in Halifax Co., VA. She married Robert Irwin. He died 9 June 1835 in Alton, IL. (R‑9)
Children - Irwin
+50. William Irwin, b. 30 April 1812, m. Mary Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 8 Feb. 1895.
Mary (“Polly”) Graves (10) was born in VA. She married Richard Anderson, son of Richard Anderson and Jane Foster, on 5 Dec. 1804 in Halifax Co., VA. He was born about 1773. (R‑11)
Children - Anderson
+51. Meedes P. Anderson, b. 12 July 1810, m(1) Martha Bass, 6 Feb. 1832, m(2) Mildred Milberry Bass, 23 Dec. 1844, d. 25 June 1891.
52. John W. Anderson
53. Mary A. M. Anderson
Joseph Graves (11) was born about 1804 in VA, and died in 1924 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He married ‑‑‑‑‑‑. (R‑10)
Children - Graves
54. Sam Graves
CHILDREN OF BARTLETT GRAVES, JR. (3) AND NANCY FERRINGTON
Lorenzo James Graves (13) was born 17 Nov. 1818 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 1 Sept. 1886 in McKinney, Collin Co., Texas. He was a farmer. He married Mary Thompson ("Polly") Merritt, daughter of Obadiah Merritt and Priscilla Clemmons, on 27 Jan. 1842 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She was born 22 Sept. 1822 in Tenn., and died 31 July 1898 in McKinney, Collin Co., Texas.
Lorenzo and Polly were buried initially in O'Brien Cem., Buckner, Texas (now extinct). The cemetery was in very poor condition, with no fence, pasture land with many goats, rooting hogs and cattle, and the headstone had been knocked over. Because of this situation, the headstone and the remains that could be found were moved in Feb. 1985 to Melissa Cem. (approx. 5 miles north of McKinney and 1 mile west of Melissa, Texas), where there is perpetual care.
The story of the trek to Texas from Wilson Co., Tenn. by Lorenzo J. Graves and his family is not recorded in family lore, so the exact date is uncertain. However, from an analysis of birth and marriage dates, it was probably in the late 1860's.
The following children almost certainly made that trip: John Willis, Amanda, Mary Jane, Benjamin, Susan, Rufus, and Samuel Houston. It seems reasonable that because of their ages and marriageable status, the other (older) children did not make the trip.
They were in the 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN, living next to his uncle Asa Graves.
All the children of Lorenzo and Polly were born in Wilson Co., Tenn. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Graves
+55. Nancy Jane Graves, b. 26 Nov. 1842, m. William A. D. Jones, 5 Oct. 1865.
56. Priscilla Desdimony Graves, b. 2 March 1844, m. Thomas J. Lea, 23 Jan. 1866 (Wilson Co., Tenn.), d. 9 Oct. 1890.
+57. Martha Elisabeth Graves, b. 22 March 1845, m. William B. Shorter, 2 May 1867.
58. Obadiah Pitts Graves, b. 2 May 1846, d. 31 March 1854 (Mt. Carmel, Wilson Co., Tenn.).
+59. Esther Caroline Graves, b. 29 July 1847, m. James R. Shorter, 19 Sept. 1867, d. 22 Sept. 1891.
+60. John Willis Graves, b. 17 April 1849, m. Nancy Jane Byrd, 23 Aug. 1870, d. 23 Nov. 1874.
+61. Amanda Fredona Graves, b. 17 Jan. 1851, m. Theodric Frank Donnell, 9 May 1872.
62. Mary ("Mollie") James Graves, b. 7 Feb. 1853, m. John Francis Brown, 19 Jan. 1879 (McKinney, Collin Co., Texas).
63. Benjamin Franklin Graves, b. 28 June 1855.
+64. Susan Emaline Graves, b. 31 May 1857, m. James E. Whiteley, 20 Dec. 1877, d. 29 Feb. 1936.
+65. Rufus Everett Graves, b. 19 July 1859, m. Rowena Melissa Allen, 26 Aug. 1897, d. 30 Jan. 1936.
66. Samuel Houston Graves, b. 26 Feb. 1862, m. Lou B. Watson, 13 Sept. 1883, d. 20 May 1936. Bur. Masonic Lodge Cem., Pilot Point, Denton Co., Texas.
Lourane E. (or Louraney) Graves (14) was born 17 Nov. 1820, died in Nov. 1879, and was buried on the family farm, all in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married Green B. Merritt, son of Obediah Merritt and Priscilla Clemmons, on 19 Sept. 1839 in Wilson Co. Although Obediah signed his name Obadiah, everyone else spelled it Obediah (with an "e"). He was born 9 Sept. 1814 and died 22 April 1907, both in Wilson Co. He was a farmer and had land in Dist. 21, and she was a homemaker.
His house was still standing in 1989 and was in good condition. His grandson, Dixon Merritt, lived in it for many years. Green and Louraney were buried in a family cemetery on their home place. All their children were born in Wilson Co.
Much information was provided by Mrs. Thelma C. Landrum. Priscilla Clemmons was a sister of her g-g-grandfather, James Clemmons, and Obediah Merritt was a brother of her g-g-g-grandmother, Mollie Merritt Caraway. She has written a book on the Clemmons family. Priscilla was a daughter of Samuel Thompson Clemmons and Martha Coggin. (R‑1, R‑6, R‑7)
Children - Merritt
+67. Martha Evelyn Merritt, b. 2 Sept. 1840, m. Patrick J. Henderson, 20 Dec. 1874, d. before June 1900.
68. Lorenzo Willis Merritt (called Willis), b. 29 March 1842, never married, d. 1920 (Wilson Co., TN). Bur. Rocky Valley Baptist Church Cem.
+69. Mary Elizabeth Merritt, b. 22 March 1844, m. Orren Houston Merritt, 6 March 1866.
+70. Priscilla Jane Merritt, b. 4 Aug. 1846, m. Thomas Vanburen Warren, 7 March 1872, d. 1898.
+71. Green Thomas Merritt, b. 30 Sept. 1848, m. Betty Weatherly, 1 Nov. 1885, d. 1917.
+72. Obediah Janes Merritt, b. 20 Jan. 1851, m. Florence J. Sewell, 6 Dec. 1882.
73. Bartlett Alexander Merritt, b. 3 April 1853, never married, d. 1922 (Wilson Co., TN). Bur. Rocky Valley Baptist Church Cem.
+74. Noah Houston Merritt, b. 4 April 1855, m. Frances Weatherly, d. 14 Nov. 1920.
+75. Lourane Frances Thompson Merritt, b. 27 Sept. 1858, m(1) James Jaco, 28 Dec. 1872, m(2) R. Hatton Abernathy, 22 Feb. 1879, d. 7 July 1943.
76. Robert Hatton Merritt, b. 1862, never married, d. 1939 (Wilson Co., TN). He left a will dated 10 May 1930, proved 22 May 1939, in which he left all personal property to his niece Myrtle Merritt Holloway and nephew Dixon Merritt; all real estate to go to his sister Fannie Merritt and, at her death, to Dixon Merritt (Wills and Inventories Book 27, p. 500, Wilson Co. Court House). Robert H. Merritt was buried in Green B. Merritt family cemetery.
Esther Caroline Graves (17) was born 13 Feb. 1829 in Wilson Co., Tenn., died 9 Feb. 1908 in Nashville, Davidson Co., Tenn., and was buried in Mt. Olivet Cem., Tenn. She married Thomas Tuggle Alloway on 1 June 1849 in Wilson Co. He was born 24 Sept. 1826, and died about 1877 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She was a homemaker. All their children were born in Wilson Co. (R‑4)
Children - Alloway
77. James Alexander Alloway, b. 4 June 1850, m. Sarah ("Sallie") Baker, c. 1870 (TN), d. 28 Jan. 1913 (Nashville, TN).
78. Thomas Tuggle Alloway, b. 18 Aug. 1856, d. 20 Nov. 1929 (Nashville, TN).
79. Ariella Alloway, b.c. 1857, d.c. 1866 (Wilson Co., TN).
+80. Nancy Ann Elizabeth Alloway, b. 20 Jan. 1860, m. Henry Zebulon Gardner, 6 Sept. 1888, d. 3 Sept. 1934.
81. Martha Emmaline Alloway, b.c. 1861, m. Stephen Howell, 11 March 1879 (Wilson Co., TN).
82. Fannie Vannison Louise Jane Alloway, b. 17 Oct. 1866, m. David Perkins Oldham, c. 1886, d. 5 Oct. 1916.
83. Mary John Alloway, b. 5 Sept. 1868, d. 14 April 1937 (Nashville, TN).
84. William Alloway, b. 11 Dec. 1869, m. Sarah ("Annie") F. Scruggs, 12 July 1893 (Davidson Co., TN), d. 4 Jan. 1955 (Nashville, TN).
85. Nora Lee Alloway, b. 10 May 1875, d. 25 Nov. 1919 (Nashville, TN).
86. Infant, b.c. 1876, died at birth.
Elvina Graves (18) was born about 1830, and was apparently buried in Rutland Cem., western Wilson Co., Tenn. Much of the following information is from a book of cemetery records from Rutland Cem. Elvina first married John Drennon on 12 July 1848. She secondly married Dick Martin. (R‑6)
Children - Drennon
+87. Martha Drennon, b. 24 Dec. 1850, m. William Reuben Satterfield, d. 19 April 1916.
+88. Lucy Emeline Drennon, b. 6 Jan. 1855, m. B. H. Lane, d. 14 April 1917.
89. John Houston Drennon
90. Monroe Drennon
Reuben Monroe Graves (21) was born 4 Feb. 1845 and died 28 March 1919, both in Wilson Co., Tenn. He married Mary Ann Frances ("Fannie") Reed, daughter of Eli Reed and Sara Pentecost, on 7 Oct. 1866 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She was born 24 April 1839 and died 19 Oct. 1924, both in Wilson Co. They were both buried in the Reed Family Cem. on Walnut Grove Rd., near the intersection with Stumpy Lane and Tater Peeler Pike, in Wilson Co., Tenn.
Reuben was a farmer and a carpenter. He lived in the 21st District near Pondville (now Baird's Mill), on the Tater Peeler Pike near Old Union Methodist Church, in Lebanon, Tenn., and later on a farm on the Cainsville Pike, where he died.
Although he was a stern, strict person, he loved the practical joke, and people who knew him always remembered some of the jokes he would play on others.
All their children were born in Wilson Co., Tenn. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
+91. Dora Lee Graves, b. 8 June 1868, m. Archibald Debo Bostick, 14 Nov. 1889, d. 14 May 1959.
+92. Ammie Leslie Graves, b. 22 Dec. 1869, m. William Berry Shorter, 14 June 1888, d. 18 June 1907.
+93. Harry Eli Graves, b. 21 April 1872, m. Rosa Lee Wiggs, 10 Sept. 1910, d. 10 March 1945.
94. Bertie Graves (female), b. 18 Jan. 1878, d. 27 May 1879 (Wilson Co., TN). Bur. in Reed Family Cem., Wilson Co., TN.
CHILDREN OF SARAH GRAVES (4) AND HENRY H. ROGERS
Asa (or Aboy) Graves Rogers (25) was born 22 Jan. 1818 in Silver Spring, and died 18 Dec. 1893 in Leeville, both in Wilson Co., TN. He married Sarah Ann Paulina Chandler, daughter of Jordan C. Chandler and Elizabeth Allen Avery, on 1 Jan. 1840 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born 22 Oct. 1822 and died 27 Nov. 1906, both in Wilson Co., TN. They were both buried in Chandler Cem., Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN, at least the last 9 in Gladeville. (R‑10)
Children - Rogers
+95. Martha Virginia Rogers, b. 21 July 1842, m. William Jordan Bennett, 24 July 1859, d. 21 July 1927.
+96. Joseph Anderson Rogers, b. 11 Oct. 1840, m. Alice Stroud, 3 Oct. 1867, d. 11 Jan. 1912.
+97. Henry Jordan Rogers, b. 18 Aug. 1844, m. Martha Elnora Willis, 15 June 1869, d. 11 Jay 1912.
+98. Benjamin Duggan Rogers, b. 16 May 1847, m(1) Fannie Lorena Major, 20 Dec. 1866, m(2) Mary Barbara Kirby, 7 June 1887, d. 27 July 1927.
+99. Sarah Elizabeth Rogers, b. 11 Dec. 1849, m. Thomas Merritt Major, 14 Feb. 1867, d. 1933.
100. James Wilson Rogers, b. 9 June 1852, m. Sallie Edmondson, 30 Jan. 1879.
+101. Asa John Rogers, b. 15 Sept. 1855, m(1) Rebecca E. Bishop, 14 Dec. 1875, m(2) Johnetta Scoby, 5 Sept. 1894, d. 1 Aug. 1928.
102. Thomas Stroud Rogers, b. 16 May 1858, m. Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. Nov. 1876 (Gladeville, Wilson Co., TN).
+103. Eva Rosalie Rogers, b. 11 Feb. 1861, m. Asa Frazier Cochrane, 14 Feb. 1892.
+104. Mary Hatton Rogers, b. 3 Oct. 1863, m. Jonas A. Jackson, 18 Dec. 1895, d. 1949.
Lucinda Green Rogers (26) was born 10 Nov. (or Dec.) 1819 in TN, and died 19 Dec. 1898 in Alton, IL. She married John Wesley (or H.) Chandler, son of Andrew Chandler and Ann Hutchinson, on 2 Dec. 1839 in Wilson Co., TN (by William R‑‑‑‑‑, J. B. Murray, bondsman). John was born in 1822 in Wilson Co., TN, and died before 1850 in TN. She married second Robert Henry Sargeant on 10 Oct. 1853 in IL. All the children by her first marriage were born in Wilson Co., TN, and those by the second marriage in IL. (R‑10)
Children - Chandler
105. Albert T. Chandler, b. 4 March 1842, m. Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, before 1870 (IL). She was b.c. 1853.
106. Emmeline Brooks Chandler, b. 18 Feb. 1844, m(1) Erastus Bancroft, m(2) Jesse Wells, 30 April 1868 (Carlinville, IL), d. 11 Aug. 1913.
107. John Rogers Chandler, b. 26 June 1846, m. Melissa D. Armour, 8 July 1866 (Medora, IL), d. 16 Feb. 1923 (Ansley, NE).
Children - Sargeant
108. Cornelia Ann Sargeant, b. 23 June 1856.
109. Frank M. Sargeant, b. 13 Feb. 1858.
110. Liza Sargeant, b.c. 1860, d. 1865 (IL).
William Riley Rogers (27) was born 20 Dec. 1821 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 2 Sept. 1879. He was married to Martha Jane Emeline Horn, daughter of Matthew Horn and Martha T. Babb, on 5 June 1845 in Wilson Co., Tenn., by Rev. John Kelly, elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. She was born 11 March 1827.
He was a Sgt., Tenn. Volunteer Army, and was described as 5 ft., 5 in., dark complexion, black eyes, black hair. He may have been a sheriff in Tenn. and later moved his family to Ky., possibly moving to Caldwell Co., Ky. He lived in Lauderdale Co., Tenn. in 1850, on the state line. He was a farmer. (R‑5)
Children - Rogers
111. Matthew H. Rogers, b. 26 Dec. 1846 (TN).
112. Sophia Rogers, b. 9 June 1850.
113. John M. Rogers, b. 17 March 1855.
+114. James M. Rogers, b. 8 April 1858, m. Emery Belle Blick, 10 May 1886, d. 28 Feb. 1927.
115. Hantie H. Rogers, b. 4 July 1861.
116. William L. Rogers, b. 12 May 1864.
117. Edgar W. Rogers, b. 7 Feb. 1867.
CHILDREN OF ASA GRAVES (5) AND SALLY JONES
Francis M. Graves (30) was born about 1830 in TN, and probably died 1860-1870. He married Angeline (“Ann”) Harris, widow of West Harris, probably about 1852. She was born about 1819 in NC. She and her husband and children were in the 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN. Francis and Angeline were in the 1860 census for Wilson Co., TN. The 1870 census for Wilson Co., TN, shows Ann Graves as head of household, with her children and no husband. Her daughter Sarah (by her first marriage) and Sarah’s children are living with her. Francis was a farmer. All their children were born in TN. (R‑10)
Children - Graves
118. Francina (“Fannie”) Graves, b.c. 1854.
119. Lucy Graves, b.c. 1856.
120. Parthenia (“Patsey”) Graves, b.c. 1858.
121. Jane Graves, b.c. 1861.
William H. Graves (32) was born about 1837 in TN, and probably died 1860-1870. He married Mary E. (“Millie”) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, probably about 1858. She was born about 1840 in TN. They were in the 1860 census for Wilson Co., TN, living close to his brother Francis, and with his father living with them. Mary was in the 1870 census for Wilson Co., TN, with her father-in-law Asa Graves as head of household, and her two children living with her, but no husband. He was a farmer. All the children were born in TN. The 1880 census for Wilson Co., TN shows a daughter Emma Graves, b.c. 1872, in the household, but it seems almost certain that she couldn’t have been a daughter of William. (R‑10)
Children - Graves
122. Sarah (“Sallie”) D. Graves, b.c. Oct. 1859.
123. Martha Graves, b.c. 1862.
CHILDREN OF JOEL GRAVES (8) AND ELIZABETH ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Samuel W. Graves (46) was born 17 (or 27) Jan. 1838 in the Greenwood Community, Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 21 June 1925 in Nashville, Davidson Co., Tenn. He married Mary F. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ on 7 Dec. 1870 in Wilson Co. She was born 31 Jan. 1850 in Smith Co., Tenn., and died 30 Oct. 1933 in Nashville, Davidson Co., Tenn. He was a farmer and a blacksmith.
Samuel enlisted in Co. D, 7th Tenn. Infantry, CSA, on 20 May 1861 and took part in several major Civil War engagements, including Seven Pines, Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Cold Harbour, 2nd Manassas, and Gettysburg. He was wounded in the left foot at the Battle of 2nd Manassas. At the close of the war he was paroled at Appomattox Courthouse in April 1865 and returned to Wilson Co., Tenn. in Aug. 1865. He applied to the State of Tenn. for a veteran's pension on 24 July 1909, which evidently was granted, since in 1919 he stated, under oath, that he was eligible for an increase of $5.00 per month in his pension (Tenn. State Library Archives, roll 80, no. 11403).
According to the 1880 and 1900 censuses, all children were born in Tenn. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
124. Robert E. Graves, b. Jan. 1873.
125. Addie M. Graves, b. Nov. 1877.
126. George W. Graves, b. Feb. (or Nov.) 1882.
127. Samuel W. Graves, Jr., b. 1884.
128. Irma Graves, b. Feb. 1885.
129. Beula E. Graves, b. Feb. 1888.
130. May B. Graves, b. May 1891.
CHILDREN OF RHODA GRAVES (9) AND ROBERT IRWIN
William Irwin (50) was born 30 April 1812 in middle Tennessee, and died 8 Feb. 1895 in Wayne, IL. He married Mary Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born 23 Jan. 1821 and died 15 Aug. 1904. (R‑9)
Children - Irwin
131. Julia Irwin, d. 7 Jan. 1921.
132. Oscar Irwin
133. Lawrence Irwin
134. Louisa Irwin, d. 11 April 1852.
135. Isabella Irwin, b. 9 May 1848, d. 2 Sept. 1858.
136. Thomas Irwin, d. 20 July 1853.
+137. William Holland Irwin, b. 17 Feb. 1852, m. Martha Ann Carlisle, 7 Jan. 1878, d. 19 Nov. 1929.
138. Robert M. Irwin, b. 23 Dec. 1853, d. 10 Feb. 1873.
139. Freddy Irwin
CHILDREN OF MARY GRAVES (10) AND RICHARD ANDERSON
Meedes P. Anderson (51) was born 12 July 1810 in VA, died 25 June 1891 in Wilson Co., TN, and was buried in Bass Cem., Wilson Co., TN. He first married Martha Bass, daughter of Sion M. Bass and Mary (“Polly”) Perry, on 6 Feb. 1832 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born 25 May 1816, died 24 Sept. 1844, and was buried, all in Wilson Co., TN. He married second Mildred Milberry (“Milly”) Bass, sister of Martha, on 23 Dec. 1844 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born 17 Sept. 1823, died 16 Jan. 1898, and was buried in Jan. 1898 in Bass Cem., all in Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN, except for Eliza who was born in Davidson Co., TN. (R‑11)
Children - Anderson, by Martha Bass
140. John R. Anderson, b. 18 April 1833, d. 10 Dec. 1851.
141. Joseph Anderson, b.c. 1834.
142. Owen Anderson, b.c. 1835.
143. Elizabeth Anderson, b.c. 1837.
144. Thomas Anderson, b.c. 1838.
145. Bradford Cato Anderson, b.c. 1840.
146. Nancy Anderson, b.c. 1843.
Children - Anderson, by Mildred M. Bass
147. James Anderson, b.c. 1846.
148. Martha Ann Anderson, b.c. 1847, m. Uriah Pond.
149. Sarah Anderson, b.c. 1848,
150. Charles P. Anderson, b.c. 1849, m. Florence E. Weatherford, 27 Sept. 1876 (Wilson Co., TN). She was b. 1854.
+151. Meedes Tarpley Anderson, b.c. 1851, m. Lizzie Wallace, 24 Oct. 1878, d. 13 Nov. 1913.
+152. Eliza John Anderson, b. 30 Oct. 1852, d. 9 Jan. 1918, m. Judithan Elias George, 30 Nov. 1874.
153. Margaret Anderson, b.c. 1854.
154. Arcella (“Ellen”) Anderson, b.c. 1856.
155. Harvey Richard Anderson, b.c. 1857.
156. Hugh L. Anderson, b.c. 1859, m. Lou Wallace, 29 Nov. 1880 (Wilson Co., TN).
157. George A. Anderson, b.c. 1861.
CHILDREN OF LORENZO J. GRAVES (13) AND MARY T. MERRITT
Nancy Jane Graves (55) was born 26 Nov. 1842 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married William A. D. Jones on 5 Oct. 1865 in Wilson Co. He was born about 1831 in Tenn., and was a farmer. The 1880 census for Precinct 4, Collin Co., Texas, shows that his father was born in Tenn. and his mother in N.C., and lists the following children, all born in Texas except the first two who were born in Tenn. (R‑2)
Children - Jones
158. Madorah Jones, b.c. 1866.
159. William R. Jones, b.c. 1867.
160. Geneva D. Jones, b.c. 1869.
161. John E. Jones, b.c. 1870.
162. Lorenzo R. Jones, b.c. 1873.
163. Eugene Jones, b.c. 1875, m. Cordie Calloway (?), 26 Jan. 1908 (Collin Co., Texas).
164. Wilson R. Jones, b.c. 1877.
165. Wiley Jones, b. June 1879, m. Linnie Jeffcoat, 16 Feb. 1910 (Collin Co., Texas).
Martha Elizabeth (or Elisabeth) Graves (57) was born 22 March 1845 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married William B. Shorter, son of James Shorter (b. 1815, TN, d. 1860, TN) and Martha Wyoone (b. 1819, TN, d. Aug. 1884, TN), on 2 May 1867 in Wilson Co., Tenn. He was born about 1840 in Tenn. This information and that for the children is from the family Bible and the 1870 and 1880 censuses of Dist. 19, Wilson Co., Tenn. (not there in 1900 census). All the following children were born in Wilson Co. (R‑2)
Children - Shorter
166. Samuel M. Shorter, b.c. 1868.
167. Mary Alice Shorter, b.c. 1870.
168. Ida M. Shorter, b.c. 1871.
169. Lucy John Shorter, b.c. 1876.
170. Anna B. Shorter, b.c. 1878.
171. Sally Shorter, b.c. 1880.
Esther Caroline Graves (59) was born 29 July 1847 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 22 Sept. 1891. She married James R. Shorter, brother of William B. Shorter who married her sister Martha, and son of James Shorter and Martha P. Wyoone, on 19 Sept. 1867 in Wilson Co., Tenn. Some of the information on this family is from the Bible and the 1880 census for Dist. 10, Lebanon, Wilson Co., Tenn. All their children were born in Wilson Co., the last 2 in Lebanon.
According to The Goodspeed Histories of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford and Marshall Counties of Tenn., in the Wilson Co. section, "J. R. Shorter, proprietor of a livery and feed stable, at Lebanon, Tenn., was born in Wilson Co. in 1845, and is a son of James and Martha P. (Wyoone) Shorter, who were of Irish descent, born in Tenn. in 1815 and 1819 respectively. They were married about 1836, and tilled a farm of 200 acres until 1858, when they purchased a 150-acre farm. Here the father died in 1860, and the mother in Aug. 1884. Our subject only attended school about three months during his life. Sept. 19, 1867, he led to Hymen's altar Easter C. Graves, daughter of Lorenzo J. and Mary Graves. Mr. and Mrs. Shorter have three children: Lorenzo J., Susie and Robert. In 1869 Mr. Shorter came to Lebanon and established a retail liquor store, but in 1871 bought a family grocery store, continuing three years. He then farmed three years, and in 1877 returned to Lebanon, and with W. G. Swindell began keeping a livery and feed stable. A year later Samuel Golliday purchased Mr. Swindell's interest, and he in turn was bought out by J. W. Hamilton. Since 1883 Mr. Shorter has carried on the business alone. He keeps ten horses, nine single and six double vehicles, and runs a buss to each train, and has met with merited success. He is a member of the K. of H. and K. of P., and he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church." (R‑2)
Children - Shorter
172. Lorenzo J. (or I.) Shorter, b. 1869.
173. Susie Shorter, b. 1874.
174. Robert Shorter
John Willis Graves (60) was born 17 April 1849 in Wilson Co., Tenn., died 23 Nov. 1874, and was buried in Lost Creek (Hogg) Cem., about 20 miles north of Brownwood, Brown Co., Texas, near Byrd, Texas and Lake Brownwood. He was a farmer.
He was long somewhat of a mystery to his descendants. The family was unanimous that he had died young and under unusual circumstances. One of the family tales stated that he had helped move a family to Brownwood, Texas, and that he had died in an accident. No one knew where he was buried, and not until the spring of 1984 was it established that he was interred at Lost Creek Cem., Brown Co. Marguerite Nichols, his great-granddaughter, assisted by her aunt, Mary Mowdy, his granddaughter, and by Naomi King, his great-granddaughter, found his grave.
Also in 1984, a venerable Brown Co. resident told Marguerite Nichols that he had heard from David P. Mallone (brother-in-law of John Willis Graves) that John had died of an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound. The accident occurred when John was cleaning his gun in preparation for his return trip to Collin Co.
He married Nancy Jane Byrd, daughter of Charles Byrd (born in Tenn.) and Mary Buhl (born in Mo.), on 23 Aug. 1870 in Collin Co., Texas. She was born 28 July 1850 in Mo., died 28 Aug. 1933 in Melissa, Collin Co., Texas, and was buried 29 Aug. 1933 in Highland Cem., between Melissa and Anna, Collin Co., Texas. She married three times after John's death, first to Dennis Callahan. They were divorced in 1881. She secondly married Gerard Leigh on 22 July 1881. He died in 1882. She then married R. P. Willock in 1888. This marriage was annulled in 1896. All children listed below were born in Melissa, Texas. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Graves
+175. John Marshall Graves, b. 2 June 1871, m. Jessie Lee Douglas, 27 Dec. 1891, d. 3 March 1953.
+176. William Dereigh Graves, b. 6 Sept. 1872, m. Mary Evalyne Barrett, 6 Jan. 1892, d. 6 Jan. 1933.
177. Annah Mary Graves, b. 29 July 1874, m. Hampton Slaughter ("Hamp") Wysong, 11 Oct. 1899 (Melissa, Texas), d. 24 Feb. 1959 (Melissa, Texas). Bur. Highland Cem., Collin Co., Texas.
Amanda Fredona Graves (61) was born 17 Jan. 1851 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married Theodric Frank Donnell, called Frank, on 9 May 1872 in McKinney, Collin Co., Texas, by J. R. Darnell. Frank was born in July 1849 in Ala., and was a carpenter. They were in the 1880 census for Collin Co., and were in the 1900 census for Greeley Twp., Oklahoma Co., Okla. All their children were born in Texas, at least the first four in Collin Co. (R‑2)
Children - Donnell
178. Samuel Thompson Donnell, b. 18 Feb. 1873.
179. Pearley Zoolah Donnell, b. 23 Jan. 1875.
180. John Addison Donnell, b. 15 May 1877.
181. Riley Donnell, b. Oct. 1879.
182. Effie L. Donnell, b. June 1884.
183. James F. Donnell, b. Dec. 1886.
184. Mary E. Donnell, b. Jan. 1890.
185. Hollis G. Donnell, b. Jan. 1893.
186. Leslie C. Donnell, b. Jan. 1895.
Susan Emaline (or Emeline) Graves (64) was born 31 May 1857 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 29 Feb. 1936. She married James Eldredge Whiteley, son of Etheldred Whiteley and Arrena Walker, on 20 Dec. 1877 in McKinney, Collin Co., Texas. He was born 18 Jan. 1858 and died 12 Oct. 1915. (R‑2)
Children - Whiteley
+187. Jesse Whiteley, b. 25 Nov. 1878, m. Della Lee.
+188. Bessie Whiteley, b. 24 Oct. 1880, m. Joseph Andrew Daniels, 6 Jan. 1901, d. 2 May 1948.
+189. Lizzie Whiteley, b. 13 May 1883, m. J. C. Woolfolk, 5 Feb. 1902, d. 7 April 1941.
+190. Marshall Whiteley, b. 26 July 1885, m(1) Belle Lee, m(2) Betty Hardin.
+191. Edgar James Whiteley, b. 25 June 1888, m. Annie Mae Veal.
+192. Lorenzo Loyd Whiteley, b. 30 July 1890, m. Lottie Lee, d. July 1944.
193. George Robert Whiteley, b. 3 Oct. 1892, m. Thelma Griffin, 16 Feb. 1926, d. 24 May 1955. She was b. 17 March 1902. No children.
Rufus Everett Graves (65) was born 19 July 1859 in Wilson Co., Tenn., died 30 Jan. 1936 in Collin Co., Texas, and was buried in Plano Mutual Cem. (Old Foreman Cem.), Plano, Collin Co., Texas. He married Rowena Melissa Allen on 26 Aug. 1897 in McKinney, Collin Co., Texas (marriage book, vol. 10, p. 510). She was born 11 June 1872 in Tenn., died 4 Aug. 1946 in Dallas Co., Texas, and was also buried in Plano Mutual Cem., Plano. All their children were born in Collin Co., Texas. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
+194. Loranzo James Graves, b. 8 June 1898, m. Ada Ailene Steward, 4 Oct. 1923.
+195. Hugh Allen Graves, b. 21 Aug. 1899, m(1) Ruth May Wilson, 30 April 1930, m(2) Dovie Grice Campbell, 24 Feb. 1944, d. 19 April 1973.
196. Henry Randall ("Slim") Graves, b. 9 Feb. 1901, m. Lucille ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 28 Dec. 1937 (Oakland, Calif.). Bur. Oakland, Calif. No children.
197. Willie H. Graves, b. and d. 31 Sept. 1903.
+198. John Willis Graves, b. 6 Aug. 1906, m. Claudia Mae Mayes, 22 July 1933, d. 30 Oct. 1950.
+199. Charley Lee Graves, b. 19 Sept. 1908, m. Zilla Mozelle Hall, 4 Sept. 1930, d. 4 Nov. 1959.
CHILDREN OF LOURANE E. GRAVES (14) AND GREEN B. MERRITT
Martha Evelyn Merritt (67) was born 2 Sept. 1840 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died before June 1900. She married Patrick J. Henderson on 20 Dec. 1874 in Wilson Co., Tenn. He was born in Nov. 1835 and died after June 1900. (R‑6)
Children - Henderson
+200. M. Frances Henderson, b. May 1872, m. Etheldred Pearce Massey, 5 Feb. 1893.
201. D. Henderson (dau.), b.c. 1874.
Mary Elizabeth Merritt (69) was born 22 (or 29) March 1844 in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married Orren Houston Merritt, son of Brantley Merritt and Melvina Grissom, on 6 March 1866 in Wilson Co. He was born about 1846 in Wilson Co. All their children were born in Wilson Co. (R‑6)
Children - Merritt
202. Charles G. Merritt, b.c. 1866, d. 1882 or 1884.
203. Brantley Luther Merritt, b.c. 1869.
204. Sam H. Merritt, b.c. 1871.
205. Selden Merritt, b. 1874, d. 1890.
206. Edward Merritt, b.c. 1876.
207. Orren Merritt, b.c. 1879.
208. Annie Merritt
209. Mary Merritt
Priscilla Jane Merritt (70) was born 4 Aug. 1846, died 1898, and was buried in the Green B. Merritt family cem., all in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married Thomas Vanburen Warren, son of Michael Warren and Mary Merritt, on 7 March 1872 in Wilson Co. He was born in July 1840 in Wilson Co., and died after 1900. All their children were born in Wilson Co., Tenn. The information on this family is from The Cunningham History and Genealogy by Hallie C. Edwards. (R‑6)
Children - Warren
+210. Adolphus Warren, b. Aug. 1873, m. Rosa Lee Ashworth, 13 March 1897, d. 15 June 1957.
211. Minnie E. Warren, b. 1875, m. W. F. Nelson, 26 Dec. 1897.
212. Loocher Merritt Warren, b. 1876, d. 1879 (Wilson Co., TN). Bur. Green B. Merritt family cem.
213. Thomas Warren, b. 1879.
+214. Dovie Anna Warren, b. 1 Dec. 1881, m. Thomas Houston Ashworth, 27 March 1897, d. 4 June 1962.
215. Harry Warren, b. June 1884.
Green Thomas Merritt (71), called Thomas, was born 30 Sept. 1848 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died in 1917. He married Betty Weatherly on 1 Nov. 1885 in Wilson Co. She was born in Nov. 1865. (R‑6)
Children - Merritt
216. Elza Merritt, b. Oct. 1885, m. Ethel Johnson, 23 Dec. 1911.
217. Herman Merritt, b. March 1890.
218. Letitia ("Tishie") Merritt, b. 15 March 1896, m. Johnnie Malone, 16 May 1915 (Wilson Co., TN), d. 28 Jan. 1921. Bur. Rocky Valley Church Cem.
Obediah Janes (or James) Merritt (72) was born 20 Jan. 1851 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and was buried in Mt. Vernon, Ill. He married Florence J. Sewell (or Seawell), daughter of Daniel W. Sewell and Amanda Martin (who later married Mr. McGuire), on 6 Dec. 1882 in Wilson Co. She was born in Nov. 1861 in Alexandria, DeKalb Co., TN, and died 28 April 1902 in TN. (R‑6, R‑7, R‑8)
Children - Merritt
219. Novella Merritt, b. Jan. 1884.
+220. Verna Merritt, b. 17 Jan. 1889, m. Robert Calvin Smith, 1909, d. 29 March 1972.
+221. Amanda Lourane Merritt, b. 14 June 1891, m. James Blaine Morgan, 22 Sept. 1909, d. 16 June 1972.
222. Clyde Merritt, b. Nov. 1892.
223. Alva Merritt, b. March 1897.
224. Dewey Merritt, b. June 1899 (TN), m. Edna Terry, d. July 1992 (IL).
Noah Houston Merritt (74), called Houston, was born 4 April 1855 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 14 Nov. 1920. He married Frances (“Fannie”) Weatherly. She was born 16 Jan. 1870 and died 1 Aug. 1942. They were both buried in Rocky Valley Church Cem. (R‑6)
Children - Merritt
225. Leland Merritt, b. 3 Oct. 1895, m. Myrtle Trammel, 16 Jan. 1921 (Wilson Co., TN), d. 13 Dec. 1941. Bur. Rocky Valley Church Cem.
Lourane Frances Thompson Merritt (75), called Frances or "Fannie", was born 27 Sept. 1858, died 7 July 1943, and was buried in Rocky Valley Church Cem., all in Wilson Co., Tenn. She first married James Jaco on 28 Dec. 1872 in Wilson Co. There were no children. She next married R. Hatton Abernathy on 22 Feb. 1879 in Wilson Co. It is not clear whether the children were by Hatton Abernathy or not, since their last name was Merritt. (R‑6)
Children - Merritt
+226. Dixon Lanier Merritt, b. 9 July 1879, m(1) Harriette Triplett Johnson, 27 March 1903, m(2) Ruth Eloise Yates, Aug. 1922, d. 9 Jan. 1972.
+227. Myrtle Merritt, b. 12 Oct. 1888, m. Frank Marion Holloway, 5 Oct. 1916, d. 22 Aug. 1961.
228. Charles Stanley Merritt, b. 12 May 1894, never married, d. Jan. 1915 (Wilson Co., TN). Bur. Rocky Valley Church Cem.
CHILDREN OF ESTHER C. GRAVES (17) AND THOMAS T. ALLOWAY
Nancy Ann Elizabeth Alloway (80) was born 20 Jan. 1860 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 3 Sept. 1934 in Henderson, Henderson Co., Tenn. She married Henry Zebulon Gardner on 6 Sept. 1888 in Davidson Co., Tenn. He was born 11 Jan. 1855 in Maury Co., Tenn., and died 20 Jan. 1937 in Henderson, Henderson Co., Tenn. All their children were born in Nashville, Davidson Co., Tenn. (R‑4)
Children - Gardner
229. John Thomas Gardner, b. 28 Aug. 1889, m. Fannie Solesbury Denton, 2 April 1908 (Henderson, KY), d. 1967 (Tampa, Hillsborough Co., FL).
230. Fannie May Gardner, b. 15 June 1891, m. Virgil Lewis Taylor, 1 Aug. 1910 (Davidson Co., TN), d. 11 July 1953 (Henderson, KY).
+231. William Henry Gardner, b. 21 Sept. 1895, m. Julia Elizabeth Norment, 10 Nov. 1919, d. 12 Aug. 1961.
CHILDREN OF ELVINA GRAVES (18) AND JOHN DRENNON
Martha Drennon (87) was born 24 Dec. 1850, died 19 April 1916, and was apparently buried in Rutland Cem., western Wilson Co., Tenn. She married William Reuben Satterfield. He was born in 1845, died in 1927, and served in Co. B, 82, 4th Regt., Tenn. Cavalry, C.S.A. (R‑6)
Children - Satterfield
232. Mary Willow Minor Satterfield, b. 24 June 1871, d. 3 Oct. 1885.
Lucy Emeline Drennon (88) was born 6 Jan. 1855, died 14 April 1917, and was apparently buried in Rutland Cem., western Wilson Co., Tenn. She married B. H. Lane. He was born 28 July 1854 and died 11 Dec. 1931. (R‑6)
Children - Lane
233. Temple Lane (probably daughter)
234. Minnie Lane
CHILDREN OF REUBEN M. GRAVES (21) AND MARY A. F. REED
Dora Lee Graves (91) was born 8 June 1868 and died 14 May 1959. She married Archibald Debo Bostick on 14 Nov. 1889. He was born 31 July 1864 and died 14 Dec. 1957. All their children were born in Wilson Co., Tenn. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children - Bostick
235. Archie Rubin Bostick, b. 27 Aug. 1890, d. 18 Jan. 1892.
236. Earnest Stephen Bostick, b. 4 Aug. 1891, d. 13 Jan. 1892. Bur. in Bostick Cem., Tater Peeler Pike, Wilson Co., TN.
+237. Edith Marie Bostick, b. 1 Feb. 1893, m. Maxwell Willis, 28 March 1925, d. 28 June 1988.
+238. Harry Gwynne Bostick, b. 18 Nov. 1894, m. Ceal Agnes Hoffkins, 2 Oct. 1927, d. 1983.
+239. Sophia Reed Bostick, b. 27 April 1897, m. Earl McCampbell Ammons, 25 April 1931, d. 13 Feb. 1973.
240. Clarence Otis Bostick, b. 22 Aug. 1898, d. 1 March 1901. Bur. in Bostick Cem., Tater Peeler Pike, Wilson Co., TN.
+241. Ralph Filmore Bostick, b. 5 Feb. 1903, m. Evelyn Stutts, 25 May 1927, d. 24 July 1969.
+242. Fred Jasper Bostick, b. 19 June 1905, m. Dora Frances Johnson, 20 Dec. 1930.
Ammie Leslie Graves (92) was born 22 Dec. 1869, died 18 June 1907, and was buried in the Reed Cem. on Walnut Grove Rd., all in Wilson Co., Tenn. She married William Berry Shorter, called Berry, on 14 June 1888. He was born 1 Sept. 1866 in Wilson Co., Tenn., and died 26 May 1907 in Arkansas. Berry homesteaded with his children to Arkansas about 1910 after the death of his wife. All their children were born in the Greenwood Community of Wilson Co. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children - Shorter
243. William Edgar Shorter, b. 13 July 1889, d. 13 March 1955 (Ark.).
244. Henry Bertie Shorter, b. 21 Dec. 1890, d. 23 Jan. 1892. Bur. in Russell Family Graveyard, Wilson Co., TN.
245. Andrew Monroe Shorter, b. 2 Dec. 1892, d. 7 Nov. 1910. Bur. in Reed Family Cem., Wilson Co., TN.
+246. Frances Janie Shorter, b. 26 Oct. 1894, m(1) Joe Slater, m(2) Bill Montgomery.
+247. Ammie Lucille Shorter, b. 10 June 1897, m. Travis Bennett, d. 26 June 1968.
+248. Carrie Katherine Shorter, b. 3 Sept. 1899, m(1) W. Frank Travis, m(2) Fred Sellers, m(3) Jim Pearson.
+249. Sophia Lee Shorter, b. 9 July 1901, m. William A. Miller, 17 Feb. 1919.
250. Robert Berrie Shorter, b. 4 June 1903, d. 18 Sept. 1904. Bur. in Reed Family Cem., Wilson Co., TN.
251. Cecil Ferril Shorter, b. 1 June 1905, d. 19 July 1932 (Ark.).
Harry Eli Graves (93) was born 21 April 1872 in Wilson Co., Tenn., died 10 March 1945, and was buried in Cedar Grove Cem., Lebanon, Wilson Co., Tenn. He married Rosa Lee Wiggs on 10 Sept. 1910 in Wilson Co. She was born 15 Aug. 1893 in Paris, Texas. All their children were born in Lebanon, Tenn. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
252. Ammie Elizabeth Graves, b. 31 May 1911, m(1) Joe Buckingham, 29 June 1946, m(2) Henry Trice, 19 Dec. 1965. No children.
+253. Edgar Eli Graves, b. 4 Sept. 1913, m. Mildred Blair, 28 June 1937.
254. Thomas Monroe Graves, b. 26 Jan. 1916, m. Mary Louise McCulley, 14 Nov. 1936.
+255. Mary Frances Graves, b. 9 Oct. 1918, m. John Berdyne Maddox, 21 July 1946.
+256. Ernest Lee Graves, b. 5 May 1921, m. Mary Emma King, 24 Feb. 1943.
+257. Harriett Marie Graves, b. 19 May 1924, m. August Gerst King, 26 Dec. 1953.
258. Katherine Louise Graves, b. 6 Aug. 1927, m. Thomas Richard Puryear, 10 Oct. 1950 (Lebanon, TN). No children.
+259. Charles Albert Graves, b. 30 Nov. 1930, m. Lotus Lee Speck, 10 June 1958.
CHILDREN OF ASA G. ROGERS (25) AND SARAH A. P. CHANDLER
Martha Virginia Rogers (95) was born 21 July 1842 in Wilson Co., TN, and died 21 July 1927 in Salem, Marion Co., IL. She married William Jordan Bennett, son of Richard Baxter Bennett and Elizabeth Chandler, on 24 July 1859 in Wilson Co., TX. He was born 16 June 1837 and died 29 April 1909, both in Salem, Marion Co., IL. They were both buried in East Lawn Cem., Salem, IL. (R‑10)
Children - Bennett
+260. Ida Eurydice Morgan Bennett, b. 6 March 1862, m. Elmer Elsworth Williams, 30 Oct. 1882, d. 30 April 1886.
+261. Mora Alberta Bennett, b. 20 Nov. 1875, m. James Calvin McLaughlin, 16 Aug. 1899, d. Jan. 1982.
Joseph (“Joe”) Anderson Rogers (96) was born 11 Oct. 1840 in Gladeville, and died 11 Jan. 1912, both in Wilson Co., TN. He married Alice Stroud on 3 Oct. 1867 in TN. She was born in 1850 in TN, and died in 1918 in Wilson Co., TN. They were in the 1870 census for Wilson Co., TN, with no children listed. They were in the 1900 census for Wilson Co., TN, with both of their children still living. If they had the first 2 children listed below (from R‑10), they must have died very young and not been counted. He was a medical doctor in 1870 and a merchant in 1900. (R‑10)
Children - Rogers
262. Joseph Anderson Rogers, b. before 1867.
263. Alice Stroud Rogers, b.c. 1867.
264. Walter Hampton Rogers, b. 21 June 1877.
265. Mary (“Mamie”) Stroud Rogers, b. 25 Oct. 1882, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Watts.
Henry Jordan Rogers (97) was born 18 Aug. 1844 in Gladeville, Wilson Co., TN, and died 11 May 1912. He married Martha Elnora Willis on 15 June 1869. (R‑10)
Children - Rogers
266. Lilly May Rogers, b. 7 Oct. 1866, m. James Carroll, 23 April 1893.
267. Joseph Willis Rogers, b. 15 June 1869, m. Alice Breen.
Benjamin Duggan Rogers (98) was born 16 May 1847 in Gladeville, and died 27 July 1927, both in Wilson Co., TN. He first married Fannie Lorena Major on 20 Dec. 1866 in TN. She was born in 1842 in Rutherford Co., TN, and died 26 Feb. 1885 in Grant, Smith Co., TN. He married second Mary Barbara Kirby on 7 June 1887. She was born about 1850 in TN, and died in 1940. All his children were born in TN. (R‑10)
Children - Rogers, by Fannie L. Major
+268. Alice Preston Rogers, b. 18 Feb. 1868, m. William D. Grindstaff, 29 Jan. 1891, d. 11 Sept. 1900.
+269. Gartee Paulina Rogers, b. 14 July 1870, m. William T. Phillips, 20 March 1890.
270. Asa Fowler Rogers, b. 5 Jan. 1873.
271. Jordan Major Rogers, b. 2 Nov. 1875.
272. Fannie Willis Rogers, b. 24 Jan. 1883.
Children - Rogers, by Mary B. Kirby
+273. Benjamin Duggan Rogers, b. 11 July 1888, m. Effie Lois Ligon, 29 Dec. 1909.
+274. Fannie Eulalia Rogers, b. 29 June 1891, m. Lester Cicero Franklin, 22 Aug. 1911.
275. James Kirby Rogers, b. 13 Aug. 1894, d. 11 June 1903 (Wilson Co., TN).
Sarah Elizabeth Rogers (99) was born 11 Dec. 1849 in Gladeville, and died in 1933, both in Wilson Co., TN. She married Thomas Merritt Major on 14 Feb. 1867 in TN. He was born in 1840, and died 9 July 1893 in Murfreesboro, TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑10)
Children - Major
276. Lizzie Bennett Major, b. 11 Oct. 1869, m. Theo Coleman, d. 1932.
+277. James Rogers Major, b. 2 July 1872, m. Vera Burnett, d. 1935.
278. William Hugh Major, b. 22 Jan. 1874, d. 1876.
279. Rosalie Thomas Major, b. 9 Sept. 1879, m. Joe Peach, d. 1945.
280. Benjamin Asa Major, b. 31 Aug. 1881, m. May Bell Lanius, d. 1959 (Wilson Co., TN). She was b. 1882 in Wilson Co., TN, and d. 1970.
281. Lulu Reed Major, b. 9 July 1886, m(1) Ben Hill, m(2) Levi Foster.
Asa John Rogers (101) was born 15 Sept. 1855 in Gladeville, Wilson Co., TN, and died 1 Aug. 1928 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He first married Rebecca E. Bishop on 14 Dec. 1875 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born in 1860 and died 3 Aug. 1893, both in TN. He married second Johnetta Scoby on 5 Sept. 1894 in TN. She was born in 1864 in Wilson Co., TN, and died in 1953 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. (R‑10)
Children - Rogers, by Rebecca E. Bishop
+282. Edna Augusta Rogers, b. 11 July 1879, m. Arthur M. Betty.
+283. Gordon Bishop Rogers, b. 21 June 1885, m. Glenna Fisher.
Children - Rogers, by Johnetta Scoby
+284. Asa Scobey Rogers, b. 1896, m. Elia Haseltine Jones, d. 1965.
Eva Rosalie Rogers (103) was born 11 Feb. 1861 in Gladeville, Wilson Co., TN. She married Asa Frazier Cochrane on 14 Feb. 1892. (R‑10)
Children - Cochrane
+285. Asa Frazier Cochrane, b. 30 Dec. 1893, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
Mary Hatton (“Mollie”) Rogers (104) was born 3 Oct. 1863 in Gladeville, and died in 1949, both in Wilson Co., TN. She married Jonas A. Jackson on 18 Dec. 1895 in TN. He was born in 1865, and died in 1934 in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑10)
Children - Jackson
286. Pauline Rogers Jackson, m. Frank Neal.
287. Alice Jackson
288. Jack Jackson
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM R. ROGERS (27) AND MARTHA J. E. HORN
James M. Rogers (114) was born 8 April 1858 in Tenn., and died 28 Feb. 1927 in Princeton, Caldwell Co., Ky. He married Emery Belle Blick, daughter of George D. Blick and Sara J. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 10 May 1886. She was born 12 March 1870, and died 15 Jan. 1943 in Paducah, Ky., in the home of her daughter. She belonged to Liberty Baptist Church, Princeton, Ky. All their children were born in Ky. (R‑5)
Children - Rogers
+289. Ora Pearl Rogers, b. 31 March 1887, m. Wallace Holt, 25 Dec. 1906, d. 1972.
+290. Otho M. Rogers, b. 4 Nov. 1890, m. Nellie Butcher, 17 Dec. 1914, d. 1963.
291. Minnie Lee Rogers, b. 20 Aug. 1892, m. Lee Byrd, 30 Jan. 1910, d. 12 March 1919 (vicinity of Princeton, KY).
292. Louard Rogers, b. 29 Jan. 1894, m. Beulah Malone, 26 June 1920, d. 7 Dec. 1973 (Benton, KY). No children.
+293. Leonard Rogers, b. 29 Jan. 1894, m(1) Lucy Freeman, 20 Aug. 1917, m(2) Minnie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 4 Aug. 1933, d. 1986.
294. Clarence R. Rogers, b. 14 June 1896, d. 16 March 1897.
+295. Robert Earl Rogers, b. 4 May 1898, m(1) Rose Schenk, m(2) Margaret ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(3) Vallie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 31 Aug. 1983.
+296. Violet G. Rogers, b. 10 April 1900, m. Gresham Barnett, 4 Sept. 1920, d. 19 Dec. 1979.
+297. Iva Ray Rogers, b. 8 April 1902, m. Frank Galusha, 7 Sept. 1921.
298. Beulah H. Rogers, b. 17 June 1904, m. Arthur Ladd, 29 June 1924. 6 children.
+299. Kelley H. Rogers, b. 13 Aug. 1906, m. Sophia Bednarzyk, 27 June 1929.
300. Jesse Hiett Rogers, b. 19 Feb. 1909, d. 19 Aug. 1934 (ruptured appendix, around Princeton, KY).
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM IRWIN (50) AND MARY JANE ------
William Holland Irwin (137) was born 17 Feb. 1852 in Wayne Co., IL, and died 19 Nov. 1929 in Watauga, Tarrant Co., TX. He married Martha Ann Carlisle, daughter of John George Carlisle and Mahalia Crockett, on 7 Jan. 1878 in IL. She was born 9 March 1852 in IL, and died 23 June 1941 in Fort Worth, Tarrant Co., TX. They were both buried in Oakwood Cem., on the north side of Fort Worth, TX. (R‑9)
Children - Irwin
+301. Clara Louise Irwin, b. 27 June 1880, m. John Henry Walker, d. 26 Oct. 1958.
+302. Jessie Viola Irwin, b. 11 July 1883, m. Dave Kennedy, d. 11 Nov. 1950.
+303. Lucy May Irwin, b. 14 Feb. 1885, m. William Thomas Williams, 23 Dec. 1906, d. 11 Jan. 1977.
+304. Ross Allen Irwin, b. 9 Aug. 1887, m. Grace Elizabeth Morgan, d. 5 June 1950.
+305. William Holland Irwin, b. 28 Nov. 1889, m. Rowena V. Francisco, 19 Dec. 1917, d. Nov. 1974.
+306. Elsie Rose Irwin, b. 7 June 1892, m. Joseph George Thomas, 24 Nov. 1915, d. 25 March 1952.
+307. Mary Jane Irwin, b. 7 July 1894, m. Leonard Wesley Wakeman, d. 7 Oct. 1985.
CHILDREN OF MEEDES P. ANDERSON (51)
Meedes Tarpley Anderson (151) was born about 1851 in Wilson Co., TN, and died 13 Nov. 1913 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He married Lizzie Wallace, daughter of George Wallace and Sarah Scott, on 24 Oct. 1878 in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑11)
Children - Anderson
308. Alice Anderson, b.c. 1879 (Wilson Co., TN).
309. Lorena Anderson
310. George Anderson
311. Bowden Anderson
312. Annie Anderson
313. Lillie Anderson
314. Katherine Anderson
Eliza John Anderson (152) was born 30 Oct. 1852, died 9 Jan. 1918, and was buried 12 Jan. 1918 in Mt. Olivet Cem., Nashville, all in Davidson Co., TN. She married Judithan Elias (“Gid”) George, son of Presley George and Diana H. (“Dicey”) Porter Partin, on 30 Nov. 1874 in Wilson Co., TN. He was born 7 Dec. 1845 in Wilson Co., TN, died 18 May 1927 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN, and was buried in Mt. Olivet Cem., Nashville. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑11)
Children - George
+315. Horace J. George, b. 15 May 1876, m. Carrie Smith.
316. Dessie George, b. 15 Dec. 1877, d. before 1880 (Wilson Co., TN).
+317. Ada Eliza George, b. 29 Dec. 1878, m. Edward Burton Wilkerson, d. 1911.
+318. Charlie George, b. 12 Jan. 1881, m. Jessie Anna Terry, d. 20 Dec. 1960.
319. Minnie Prather George, b. 27 Feb. 1883, m. Lonnie McGowan, d. 22 Nov. 1979 (Davidson Co., TN).
+320. Gussie Leona George, b. 14 Sept. 1885, m. William Grover.
+321. Harvey Darden George, b. 18 Oct. 1887, m. Edith Regina Bare, d. 27 July 1926.
+322. Bertha Milberry George, b. 20 Oct. 1890, m(1) John J. Mayo, m(2) Webb Lee, 1942, d. 28 June 1968.
+323. Otis Lee George, b. 12 July 1893, m. Minnie rinaldo, d. 15 Oct. 1980.
+324. Luther Anderson George, b. 20 Aug. 1895, m. Minnie Ollie Seat, 20 Aug. 1917, d. 19 Aug. 1962.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 According to R-7.