Revised 28 Aug. 2000, Gen. 96
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES AND SARAH NOBLE
OF MD & KY
John Graves (1) was born in St. Mary's Co., MD, and was buried at Thomas Meeting House (Methodist). He married Sarah Noble (also spelled Nobile) in 1783 in St. Mary's Co., although a marriage record has not been found. She was born in St. Mary's Co., MD, and was buried at St. Charles Church Cem., St. Mary, Washington Co. (in what is now Marion Co.), KY. At least their first 5 children were born in St. Mary's Co., MD.
John was a non-Catholic, but didn't mind that Sarah raised the children as Catholics, as she was "a very pious lady."
They moved to KY before 1800, and settled on land later (in 1897) owned by Joseph Hagan in Marion Co., KY, when "it was a trackless wilderness." John was an energetic, useful and law-abiding citizen. (Much of this information is from John Mattingly's "Biographies", at the Filson Club, Louisville, KY.)
According to Catholic Families of Southern Maryland, Records of Catholic Residents of St. Mary's Co. in the Eighteenth Century, compiled by Timothy J. O'Rourke, 1985, adult white males were required to take an Oath of Allegience to the revolutionary government of Maryland, according to a law passed by the General Assembly in the February Session, 1777. Among those taking the oath in 1778 (all administered by Justice John Ireland): Jeremiah Graves, John Graves, and John B. Greaves.
According to Muster Rolls and Other Records of Service of Maryland Troops in the American Revolution, 1775-1783, Baltimore, 1900, John Graves was a member of the St. Mary's County company of Capt. Uriah Forrest, part of Col. Thomas Ewing's Battalion for the Flying Camp, mustered 28 July 1776. It is believed that this John Graves and the one who took the Oath of Allegience are the one who married Sarah Catherine Noble, but there is no proof.
It is likely that John Graves was descended from John Greaves of St. Mary's Co., MD (genealogy 247), but the connection is not known. (R-1, R-3, R-5, R-6)
Children - Graves
+2. George N. Graves, m(1) Maria Mattingly, m(2) Catherine Medley, 10 (or 12) Feb. 1810.
+3. William Graves, m. Anne Buckler, 11 Oct. 1808, d. 1833.
+4. Jessamine A. Graves, m. Elizabeth Gannon, 11 Nov. 1817.
5. Eleanor ("Ellen" or "Nellie") Graves, m. Edward ("Ed") (or Howard) Askins, 8 Aug. 1803 (Washington Co., KY). They moved to Hancock Co., KY, and were reported to have become Protestants. "The family lost eight of them" (presumably to Protestantism), mourned John Mattingly in his "Biographies". Evidently Ellen and Ed had 7 children.
+6. Elizabeth Ann Graves, b. 1792, m. Henry Bickett, Jan. 1810, d.c. 1833.
+7. Susan Mary Graves, b. 1796, m. Benjamin Mattingly, 28 Jan. 1815, d. 25 Jan. 1849.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1) AND SARAH NOBLE
George N. Graves (2) may have first married Maria Mattingly, and he was probably the George Graves who married Catherine Medley, daughter of John Medly (or Medley?), on 10 (or 12) Feb. 1810 in Washington Co., KY. Catherine was born in 1793 in MD, and died in 1865. She secondly married Ralph Leak, her brother-in-law and the father of a Dr. Leak who married a Miss Rhodes and lived at New Haven, KY. (R-1, R-3, R-7)
Children - Graves
8. Dr.) John Graves
9. Dr.) William Graves
10. Elizabeth Graves, b.c. 1823 (KY), m. Paul Russell, 24 Jan. 1860 (Raywick, Ky.).
11. George Noble Graves, b.c. 1825.
+12. Jesse A. Graves, b. 28 Feb. 1827, m. Martha A. Downs, d. 30 Jan. 1866.
13. Mary M. Graves, b. 28 Sept. 1829, m. Alfred R. Vancleave.
14. Susan Graves, b.c. 1833, m. ------ Leake. She moved to MO with her mother.
15. James Graves, b.c. 1834.
16. Ellen Graves, m. Robert Franklin Hume. He was a tanner. They lived in Louisville, KY.
17. Sarah Ann Graves, b. 27 Aug. 1836, m. David L. Ray.
+18. Cynthia Ann Graves, m. James Ditts.
William Graves (3) died in 1833. He married Anne ("Nancy") Buckler on 11 Oct. 1808 (bond 6 Oct. 1808). Nancy was a daughter of William Robert (called Robert) Buckler or Richard Buckler, who settled before 1800 in that part of Washington Co., KY, from which Marion Co. was formed in 1834. William and Nancy lived on or near the farm that Ben Thompson owned in 1897. All their children were christened at St. Charles Church, St. Mary, Washington Co. (now Marion Co.), KY. (R-1, R-3)
Children - Graves
+19. George Noble Graves, b. 26 July 1813, m(1) Maria Mattingly, 7 Jan. 1834, m(2) Nancy Walker, c. 1847, d. 20 April 1889.
20. Thomas Graves
21. William B. (Buckler?) Graves, b.c. 1829, christened 15 (or 25) Jan. 1829.
+22. Ann T. Graves, b.c. 1831, m. William W. Wathen, 23 Sept. 1851, d. 1902.
23. James Elbert Graves (called Elbert), b. 24 Dec. 1832, christened 30 April 1833, d. 18 July 1909 (Salinas, CA). Bur. Odd Fellows Cem., Salinas, CA. In 1850 census he was probably the James E. Graves living with (and possibly working for) his uncle by marriage, Henry Bickett.
Jessamine ("Jesse") A. Graves (4) was born before 8 Nov. 1796 according to Thompson, or born 28 Feb. 17-- according to Fr. Lyons. He died 30 Jan. 1866 (according to the St. Charles Cem. records), but Thompson says it was "before 1850 census of Marion Co."; the first date is probably correct, and he was probably alive but not included in the census in 1850. He married Elizabeth Gannon, daughter of James Gannon, on 11 Nov. 1817. She was born 12 Dec. 1800 in Ireland, and died 20 July 1852. They were both buried in St. Charles Cem., St. Mary, KY. (R-1, R-3)
Children - Graves
+24. Edward A. Graves, b. 3 Nov. 1818, m. Catherine H. Merriwether, d. 16 July 1889.
25. Ann L. ("Nancy") Graves, christened 1824, m. (Dr.) Charles H. Porter, 22 Nov. 1853.
26. James M. Graves, b. 4 Dec. 1824, d. 21 Aug. 1869 (Louisville, KY). Bur. at Sisters of Charity Cem., Nazareth, KY. He was a well-known Jesuit priest.
+27. David Lovell Graves, b. 14 May 1826, m. Martha Ann Cissell, 20 Jan. 1852, d. 31 May 1907.
28. Maria or Mary ("Sister Susan", S.C.N.) Graves, christened 1828.
29. John Hamilton Graves, b. 31 Jan. 1831, bapt. 3 March 1831, m. Mary Ann Cooper, 21 Oct. 1860, d. 18 (or 19) Sept. 1861. Bur. St. Charles Cem. He may be the J. Graves shot in a foray of the Civil War, "unnecessarily, 'twas said."
+30. George Washington Graves, b. 4 Dec. 1832, m. Rose Philomena Johnson, d. 18 Jan. 1910.
Elizabeth Ann ("Betty" or "Betsy") Graves (6) was born in 1792. She married Henry ("Harry") Bickett (or Bicket or Beckett), third son of William Bickett and Jane Hart (questionable), shortly after the 5 Jan. 1810 marriage bond, in Raywick, Washington Co., KY. Henry was born about 1785 and died about 1854, probably in Marion Co., KY, according to the Marion Co. tax list. Betty must have died within 2 or 3 years after the birth of her daughter, Priscilla (about 1933-35), since Henry married again, and the first child of his second family was born in 1837. Henry's second wife was Jane Alvey Lamkin. He was a farmer, blacksmith, distiller, and miller. Living in Henry's home at the time of the 1850 census was "an 18 year old Kentucky native who attended school, James E. Graves." This was evidently Betty's nephew, James Elbert, son of William Graves. He may have been a sort of hired hand/boarder, as William Graves died in 1833 when James Elbert was only a year old.
The 1810 census of Garrard Co., p. 205, showed Henry Bickett, age 26 and under 45, 1; under age 10, 3; 16 but under 26, 1. He was newly married, so who were the children under 10? Could he have had a brief previous marriage? (R-1, R-3)
Children - Bickett
31. Mary ("Polly") Bickett, b. 1812, m. Isaac ("Ike") Harris, 16 (or 30) Nov. 1830 (bond date 30 Nov. 1830), d. 1852 (?) (Rocky Mountains).
+32. William Graves Bickett, b.c. 1815, m. Margaret Coburn Fauntleroy, 31 Aug. 1841, d. 21 June 1874.
+33. Edmund Graves Bickett, b. 16 Nov. 1817, m. Pamelia Ray, 29 Oct. 1839, d. 10 Jan. 1890.
34. Henry Graves Bickett, b. 3 Oct. 1822 (or 1820), m(1) Mary Russell, m(2) Eliza Jane Wills, d. 1888 (Bozeman, MT). Mary was b.c. 1822, d. 5 Sept. 1850 (?). Eliza was b. 1810, d/o Jacob and Mary Wills.
35. James Cyrillus Bickett, b.c. 1827, christened 1827, m. Laura A. Mills, 18 Nov. 1851, d. during Civil War.
+36. Martha Ann Bickett, b.c. Dec. 1828, m. John C. Martin.
37. Anne or Anna ("Annie" or "Nannie") Bickett, b.c. 1830, m. Benjamin A. Blanton, 15 July 1860, d. 13 Oct. 1904 (St. Joseph, MO).
+38. Priscilla Bickett, m. Barnabas Daley, 4 Jan. 1853, d. 27 April 1862.
Susan Mary (or Susannah) Graves (7) was born in 1796, died 25 Jan. 1849, and was buried in St. Charles Cem., St. Mary, Marion Co., KY. She married Benjamin ("Ben") Mattingly, son of John Mattingly and Mary Fenwick, on 28 Jan. 1815. Bond for their marriage was made 28 Jan. 1815. Ben was born 24 Dec. 1791, died 9 April 1854, and was also buried in St. Charles Cem.
John Mattingly was the eldest child of Leonard Mattingly, the original pioneer who started the Hardin's Creek Settlement, now known as St. Mary, KY. (R-1, R-3)
Children - Mattingly
39. Elizabeth S. ("Eliza") Mattingly, b. 16 Sept. 1818, m. Ben T. Elder, d. 7 April 1882.
40. Edward Graves Mattingly, b. 1824, m. Julia Graves.
41. John Graves Mattingly, b. 21 Aug. 1823, m. Elizabeth Downs, d. 7 Jan. 1910. She was b. 1828, d. 1900 (or 7 Jan. 1910?).
42. Sarah Ann Mattingly, b. 16 Jan. 1826, m. John M. Russell, d. 17 April 1859. He was a son of Charles Russell.
43. Benjamin F. Mattingly, b. 11 Oct. 1828, m. Catherine Ann Willett, d. 2 May 1913.
44. George Mattingly, b. 1831 or 1832, m(1) ------, m(2) Lydia Ann Redmon (?), d. 23 Feb. 1890.
45. Martina (or Martine) Mattingly, m. Robert Raley.
46. Alice Mattingly, m. ------ O'Daniel. Bur. St. Charles Cem.
47. daughter, died young.
CHILDREN OF GEORGE GRAVES (2) AND CATHERINE MEDLEY
Jesse A. Graves (12) was born 28 Feb. 1827 and died 30 Jan. 1866. He married Martha A. Downs, daughter of John Downs (1745-1857?). All their children were born in KY. (R-1, R-7)
Children - Graves
+48. William Downs Graves, b. 28 Aug. 1851 (or 1850), m. Louisa Blandford, 9 Feb. 1875.
+49. Sarah Graves, b.c. 1852, m. John William Miles.
50. Susan Graves, b.c. 1854.
51. Alice Graves, b.c. 1856.
52. Elizabeth Graves, b.c. 1858.
53. Amanda Graves, b.c. 1860.
Cynthia Ann Graves (18) married James Ditts. (R-1)
Children - Ditts
54. John Ditts, b. 1839.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVES (3) AND NANCY BUCKLER
George Noble Graves (19) was born 26 July 1813 in Washington Co. (later Marion Co.), KY, died 20 April 1889 in San Jose, CA, and was buried in Catholic Cem., Salinas, CA. He first married Maria Mattingly on 7 Jan. (or Feb.) 1834 in Washington Co., KY. She was born in 1814 and died in 1846. He secondly married Nancy Walker about 1847. He went to California via Missouri in 1850, and in 1851 went back home to get his wife and family, and located near Haywards, Alameda Co., CA. In the fall of 1855 he bought 200 acres near Salinas, CA, and moved his family there. In subsequent years he added considerable acreage to his holdings, and became very wealthy before he died. Of his 17 children, 12 reached adulthood. (R-1)
Children - Graves, by Maria Mattingly
+55. Luvinia Graves, b. 15 Nov. 1834, m. E. F. Harris.
56. Thomas Graves, b. 3 Nov. 1837, m. Sarah ------.
57. William Ferdinand ("Bill") Graves, b. 12 Dec. 1840 (or 1841), d. April 1911.
58. Rose Ann (or Rosanna) Graves, b. 11 Dec. 1842 (or 10 Dec. 1841), m. R. C. Laws, d. 1928.
59. James Elbert (or Albert) ("Ell") Graves, b. 6 Jan. 1845 (Raywick, KY).
Children - Graves, by Nancy Walker
60. Annletha (or Annlethia) Graves, b. 9 April 1847, m. A. J. Gillett.
+61. Georgiana Graves, b. 18 March 1850, m. R. P. Bemiss.
62. Simeon Graves, b. 13 Nov. 1851, m. Anna Goodwin (dau. of George Washington Goodwin and Mary Downs (?)).
63. Hugh Graves, b. 9 Feb. 1853, m. Jennie ------.
64. Benjamine Graves, b. 10 May 1855, probably died as infant.
+65. Benjamin I. Graves, b. 31 Oct. 1856, m. Flora T. ------, d. 1951.
66. Charles Graves, b. 23 Feb. 1858, m. Clara ------.
67. Jesse Graves, b. 1860, probably died as infant.
+68. Mary Graves, b. 12 July 1865, m. John J. Kelly, 26 April 1882, d. 1953.
69. Jane ("Jennie") Graves, m. J. J. Conner, d. mid-1950's. He may have been a lawyer.
Ann T. Graves (22) was born about 1831, was christened 5 May 1831, and died in 1902 in Lebanon, KY. She married William W. Wathen, son of John B. Wathen and Ann L. ("Nancy") Riney, on 23 Sept. 1851. They lived at Lebanon, KY.
According to his obituary, he "was born in Lebanon Feb. 10, 1832, died July 19, 1894.
He entered the renowned St. Mary's College in 1844. Typhoid fever drove him home in 1847. He returned again in the fall and finished his studies in 1848.
In Sept. 1854 he married the beautiful and accomplished Ann T. Graves, who survives him. They had four children, two daughters and two sons. The eldest, the late Mrs. Will R. Spalding, was one of the loveliest women I ever knew, and Mrs. T. R. Spalding, still living, and Col. John B. Wathen. The youngest son, William Elbert Wathen, died at the age of 2 years and 8 months.
His was the happiest family I ever saw. He was ever dutiful and loyal to his family. Never so happy as when at home surrounded by his wife, children, and grandchildren.
He was for over four years the most popular postmaster Lebanon ever had. With this exception he was engaged in the mercantile business all his life. No man ever doubted his integrity or veracity. His word was law and gospel with his family and all others who knew him. He was one of the most popular men in Lebanon.
Mr. Wathen came of two of the most distinguished old families of the county, who settled here more than a hundred years ago. They were Catholics from Maryland, and founded St. Mary's College. His people filled all the higher walks of life, religious and social. Never did one of them dishonor his position but honored it.
The families were the Wathens and the Spaldings. In the field of religion were Archbishop M. J. Spalding, of Baltimore, the best man that I ever knew; Bishop J. Lancaster Spalding, of Peoria, Ill., the most brilliant pulpit orator in the Catholic Church of America; and numerous lesser lights. In State, they have on both sides, filled all the political and civil offices, from Congress all along down the lines, distinguished and honored." (R-3)
Children - Wathen
70. daughter, m. Will R. Spalding.
71. daughter, m. T. R. Spalding.
72. Col.) John B. Wathen
73. William Elbert ("Willie") Wathen, b.c. 1858, d. 1860.
CHILDREN OF JESSAMINE A. GRAVES (4) AND ELIZABETH GANNON
Edward A. Graves (24) was born 3 (or 8) Nov. 1818 and died 16 July 1889. He married Catherine H. Merriwether (or Merriweather). She was born 2 March 1824 and died 23 March 1895. They both have big monuments in St. Charles Cem., St. Mary, KY. He was Marion Co. Representative to the KY Legislature, 1871-1873. Their children were all baptized the same day, 14 April 1864, by the Rev. Robert A. Abell. (R-1, R-3)
Children - Graves
74. David M. Graves, b. 1 Nov. (or 31 Oct.) 1850, d. 16 Oct. 1856.
75. William I. Graves, b. 15 Aug. 1852, d. 1915 (Louisville, KY).
76. George E. Graves, b. 14 Feb. 1855.
77. Charles P. Graves, b. 25 Jan. 1857, d. Louisville, KY.
78. John H. Graves, b. 6 Feb. 1863. Was he named for his uncle, John Hamilton Graves?
David Lovell Graves (27) was born 14 May 1826, was christened in 1826, and died 31 May 1907 in Lebanon, KY. He married Martha Ann Cissill (or Cissell or Cissel), daughter of John Cissill and Elizabeth Higan (?), on 20 Jan. 1852. The name Cissell was later changed to Cecil. Martha was born about 1832, was christened in 1832, and died 14 Aug. 1904. In 1873 David was running Mammoth Cave in Ky. This family lived many places, but lastly in Louisville, KY. (R-1, R-4)
Children - Graves
+79. John Cecil Graves, b. 10 April 1853, m(1) Mary Catherine Hennesy, m(2) Mable Ludlow, d. 20 April 1928.
80. James Edward Graves, b. 29 March 1855 (Raywick, KY). Supposedly studied medicine and then moved to AR to practice it. Said to have married in AR.
81. Thomas Leonard B. (or Lynn Boyd) Graves, b. 26 Aug. 1858.
82. Mary Elizabeth (or Elizabeth M.) Graves, b. 4 Nov. 1860 (Raywick, KY), m. Edwin J. O'Bryan (or O'Brian or O'Brien).
83. Samuel R. Graves, b. 17 April 1865.
84. David Lovell Graves, b.c. 1870.
George Washington Graves (30) was born 4 Dec. 1832 (or 1835, or 4 Jan. 1833), was baptized 6 April 1833, died 18 (or 16) Jan. 1910, and was buried in St. Charles Cem., St. Mary, KY, or in St. Augustin Cem., Raywick, KY. He married Rose Philomena ("Rosie") Johnson. She was born 9 Feb. 1845 and died 18 Dec. 1910 in Louisville, KY. He was listed as a farmer in the 1880 census for Raywick, KY. (R-1, R-4)
Children - Graves
85. George D. Graves, b. 1 May 1878 (?), d. 17 Oct. 1880.
86. Felix Graves, d. 26 Nov. 1939 (?)(Marion Co., KY).
+87. Lillie J. Graves, b. 18 Aug. 1866, m. Ivo Samuel Bickett, 14 Oct. 1891, d. 21 March 1947.
+88. James Emmett Graves, b. 20 Feb. 1868, m. Annabelle Thompson, Sept. 1889, d. 21 Nov. 1950.
+89. Jesse R. Graves, b. 24 April 1873, m. Richard D. Cummins, Jr., d. 12 April 1945.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH A. GRAVES (6) AND HENRY BICKETT
William Graves Bickett (32) was born about 1815, and died 21 June 1874 in Raywick, KY. He married Margaret Coburn Fauntleroy on 31 Aug. 1841. She was a descendant of Ann Coburn McDonald Harrod, the wife of pioneer James Harrod. Mrs. Harrod had Margaret, who was not James Harrod's child, although he claimed her. Margaret married John Fauntleroy, and their daughter, Margaret Coburn Fauntleroy, married William G. Bickett. (R-3)
Children - Bickett
90. Robert Warren Bickett, m. Emma Priscilla Vowels (d/o Mathew Vowels). He was a carriage maker in Lebanon and Raywick, KY.
Edmund Graves Bickett (33) was born 16 Nov. 1817 in Raywick, KY, and died 10 Jan. 1890 in Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO. He married Pamelia (or Emily Pamelia?) Ray, daughter of Richard Ray and Mary ("Polly") Knott, on 29 Oct. 1839. She was born 18 Jan. 1821 in Raywick or Louisville, KY, was baptized 6 June 1846 in St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Raywick, KY, and died 22 Jan. 1900 in Maryville, MO. They were both buried in Maryville, MO. Edmund was a farmer and a justice of the peace. Their first 3 children were born in Raywick, and the others in Maryville. (R-3)
Children - Bickett
91. Ann Eliza Bickett, b. 6 May 1841, m. Thaddeus Stanislous Sobiecki Bickett, 12 Sept. 1865, d. 1 March 1872.
92. Richard Henry Bickett, b. 12 Feb. 1843, never married, d. 10 Jan. 1886 (Philipsburg, MT).
93. Susan Mary Bickett, b. 24 Sept. 1845, m. David Reardon, d. 27 June 1914 (Idaho Falls, ID).
94. Martha Ann Bickett, b. 24 Aug. 1848, m. August Rohlman, d. Oct. 1929.
95. Pamelia Elizabeth Bickett, b. 27 Aug. 1850, never married, d. 27 July 1851.
96. Pernecia or Pernesa ("Neecy") Emily Bickett, b. 24 Nov. 1852, m. Peter Kirch, 8 Feb. 1876, d. 14 Dec. 1923 (Los Angeles, CA).
+97. Harriet Amanda Bickett, b. 11 Feb. 1855, m. John William Hunter, 18 Jan. 1888, d. 1 Aug. 1926.
98. Laura Ellen Bickett, b. 15 Aug. 1857, m. Bernard Moran, 16 Oct. 1877, d. 1 Jan. 1937 (St. Joseph, MO).
99. William George Winterton Bickett, b. 23 April 1860, m. Roberta ("Bertie") Cook, d. 20 March 1932 (Maryville, MO).
Martha Ann Bickett (36) was born about Dec. 1828, and was christened 7 Jan. 1829. She married John C. Martin of Taylor Co., KY. (R-3)
Children - Martin
100. William Henry Martin, b. 1849.
101. John Martin, b. 1853.
102. Robert Martin, b. 19 Oct. 1856.
Priscilla Bickett (38) was christened 12 July 1831 at St. Charles Church, St. Mary, KY, and died 27 April 1862 in St. Joseph, Buchanan Co., MO. She married Barnabas Daley on 4 Jan. 1853 in Marion Co., KY. He was born 20 Jan. 1828 in Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada, died 8 April 1884 at Osage Mission, KS, and was buried at Osage Mission. He secondly married Mary Ella Whitacre of Dublin, TX.
Dr. Daley's sister, Jenny, married Isaac Hunter. Their son, John William Hunter, married Priscilla Bickett's niece, Harriet Bickett. (R-3)
Children - Daley
103. Anna Belle Daley, b. 17 Oct. 1853, never married, d. in infancy 17 June 1854 (?).
104. Mary Elizabeth ("Lizzie") Daley, b. 24 Feb. 1856 (Pictou, Nova Scotia), never married, d. 1 Nov. 1926 (St. Joseph, MO).
105. Pricillia (or Priscilla) Ann Daley, b. 27 April 1862 (St. Joseph, MO), m. Nicholas Weber, 20 Feb. 1884, d. 30 Nov. 1895 (St. Joseph, MO).
CHILDREN OF JESSE A. GRAVES (12) AND MARTHA A. DOWNS
William Downs Graves (48) was born 28 Aug. 1851 (or possibly 1850) in Marion, KY. He married Louisa Blandford on 9 Feb. 1875. (R-2)
Children - Graves
+106. William Kendrick Graves, b. 3 Nov. 1886, married.
Sarah Graves (49) was born about 1852 in KY. She married John William Miles. He was born in the 1840's or 1850's in Raywick, Marion Co., KY. All their children were born in KY. (R-7)
Children - Miles
107. James ("Jim") Miles, b.c. 1871.
+108. John Henry Miles, b. 20 April 1874, m. Frances Eugenia Artemissa Jane (Parks) Fields, 1897, d. 20 Sept. 1952.
109. Ida (or Mattie?) Miles, b.c. 1875.
110. William Jesse ("Bill") Miles, b.c. 1880.
CHILDREN OF GEORGE NOBLE GRAVES (19)
Luvinia (or Luvina or Levina) Graves (55) was born 15 Nov. 1834. She married E. F. Harris. (R-1)
Children - Harris
+111. Maria Harris, m. Sylvania Boronda, d. 1945.
Georgiana (or Georgianna or Georgia) Graves (61) was born 18 March 1850. She married R. P. Bemiss. The Bemiss family is well known in San Jose, Calif. Her father, George, may have lived near them toward the end of his life. (R-1)
Children - Bemiss
112. William C. Bemiss
113. Marshall P. Bemiss
114. Elizabeth Bemiss, m. ------ Amos.
+115. Nancy W. Bemiss, m. ------ Sheffield.
Benjamin (shown as Benjamine in Ben's Bible) I. Graves (65) was born 31 Oct. 1856 and died in 1951. He married Flora T. ------. According to a man at Ben's funeral, he was a cattleman, and used to ride to Big Sur (Calif.) to purchase cattle from his grandmother, and always paid in gold. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+116. Glenn T. Graves, m. Claire ------, d. 1983.
Mary Graves (68) was born 12 July 1865 and died in 1953. She married John J. Kelly on 26 April 1882 in the Catholic Church, Salinas, CA, the Rev. G. Sorrentini officiating. (R-1, R-3)
Children - Kelly
117. Mamie Kelly, m. Ed Palmtag.
118. Marjorie Kelly, m. J. T. Harrington.
CHILDREN OF DAVID L. GRAVES (27) AND MARTHA A. CISSELL
John Cecil Graves (79) was born 10 April 1853 in Raywick, KY, and died 20 April 1928 in Louisville, KY. He first married Mary Catherine Hennesy. She died in May 1913. There were no children by this marriage. They adopted 2 children: Lydia, d. 1964, and Ethel, d. Oct. 1970's.
He secondly married Mable Ludlow. She was born 26 Dec. 1881 (?) and died 12 March 1957 in Louisville, KY. Mable was from Laconia, IN.
John and both his wives were buried in St. Louis Cem., Louisville, KY. (R-4)
Children - Graves, by Mable Ludlow
119. Mary Katherine Graves
+120. Dorothy Ann Graves
121. Martha Cecil Graves
CHILDREN OF GEORGE W. GRAVES (30) AND ROSE P. JOHNSON
Lillie J. Graves (87) was born 18 Aug. 1866, died 21 March 1947 (?) of a stroke in Raywick, KY, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Louisville, KY. She married Dr. Ivo Samuel Bickett, son of Arcena Bickett and Isabelle Flanagan, on 14 Oct. 1891. He was born 22 Dec. 1865, died 13 Sept. 1906 in Raywick, KY, of a stroke, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Louisville, KY. He graduated from Louisville Medical College. (R-4)
Children - Bickett
122. Ruth Bickett, b. 14 April 1898, d. 13 Sept. 1918 (Louisville, KY, possibly of influenza).
+123. Graves Bickett, b. 6 May 1901, m. Lucille Blandford, 25 Nov. 1925, d. 29 Sept. 1973.
124. Artie ("Punk") Bickett, b. 11 May 1904, d. 21 Dec. 1953 (Louisville, KY).
+125. John Newman Bickett, b. 19 Dec. 1906, m. Wilma ------, d. 28 Sept. 1990.
James Emmett Graves (88) was born 20 Feb. 1868, possibly in Lebanon, KY, and died 21 Nov. 1950 of hardening of the arteries. He married Annabelle Thompson, daughter of John Bernard ("Jack") Thompson and Susan Tandy, in Sept. 1889. She was born 16 May 1869 in Louisville, KY, and died 19 Aug. 1944 of appendicitis in Lexington, KY. James, Annabelle, and all their children were born and died in Lexington, KY, unless otherwise noted, and they were all buried in Calvary Cem., West Main St., Lexington, KY. (R-4)
Children - Graves
126. John D. Graves, b. 18 June 1890, d. 17 May 1896 (appendicitis).
127. stillborn infant, b. and d. Oct. 1892.
128. Minnie Rose Graves, b. 27 Nov. 1894, d. 3 Sept. 1909.
+129. George Dewey Joseph Graves, b. 23 July 1898, m. Marie Anna Helmes, 13 June 1923, d. 29 March 1964.
130. Emmett Adolph Rennick Graves, b. 13 Aug. 1901, d. 17 Nov. 1958 (cancer, St. Joseph Hospital, West 3rd St., Lexington, KY).
131. Mary Anna Graves, b. 20 May 1903, d. 8 Sept. 1903 (Martinsville Sanitarium, Martinsville, IN).
132. Bessie May Graves, b. 18 Feb. 1905, d. 24 June 1909 (spinal meningitis after swallowing a copper penny).
Jesse R. Graves (89) was born 24 April 1873 and died 12 April 1945. She married Richard D. Cummins, Jr. He was born in 1874 and died 6 Dec. 1922 (?).
Richard, his father, emigrated to the United States, supposedly from County Carlow, Ireland, in 1844. He came over first, then came his mother and father, 1 brother and 3 sisters. His father opened a distillery in Raywick, KY, and then later in Loretto, KY. He also had a plant in Coon Hollow and Chicago, KY. Richard Sr. died in 1903.
Richard Jr. moved to Jeffersonville, IN after serving in the Spanish American War as a volunteer. (R-4)
Children - Cummins
133. Nina Cummins, b. 7 Nov. 1903, m. ------ Brittan, d. 21 Dec. 1989.
134. Theodore George Cummins, b. 30 Aug. 1905, m(1) Mary Catherine Smith, 1938, m(2) Donna F. Sewards, 1957.
+135. Rachel Cummins, b. 12 Oct. 1907, m. John W. McIntosh, d. 24 Jan. 1976.
136. Margaret Philomena Cummins, b. 12 July 1913, m. ------ Gillooly, d. 4 Feb. 1982.
CHILDREN OF EDMUND G. BICKETT (33) AND PAMELIA RAY
Harriet Amanda Bickett (97) was born 11 Feb. 1855 in Maryville, Nodaway Co., MO, and died 1 Aug. 1926 in Saxton, Buchanan Co., MO. She married John William Hunter, son of Isaac Hunter and Jennie Daley, on 18 Jan. 1888 in Maryville, MO. He was born 26 June 1862 in Brimfield (?), IL, and died 30 Sept. 1935 in Saxton, MO. He was a farmer. All their children were born in Saxton, Buchanan Co., MO. (R-3)
Children - Hunter
137. Henrietta Elizabeth ("Etta") Hunter, b. 9 Oct. 1889, never married, d. 5 Sept. 1920 (epilepsy, Saxton, MO).
138. Anna Mary Hunter (called Mary), b. 15 Jan. 1892, m. Lloyd Winston Pullen, 5 April 1917, d. 4 April 1968 (Washington, DC).
+139. Laura Helen Hunter, b. 26 Aug. 1893, m. A. A. Karl, 6 May 1925, d. 1 Dec. 1979.
140. Susan Pamelia Hunter, b. 24 Nov. 1894, m. Herbert S. Jones, 18 Aug. 1931, d. 15 Oct. 1988 (Dallas, TX).
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page