Revised 28 Aug. 2010, Gen. 99
DESCENDANTS OF DOCTOR GRAVES OF NC AND BLOUNT CO., AL
Doctor Graves (1) was born about 1800 in NC, died between 1870 and 1880 in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. He was the youngest of the early Graves settlers in Blount Co., AL. He first married Sally Allred, daughter of Thomas Allred and Margaret Alldredge, on 1 March 1819 in Jefferson Co., AL, now Blount Co., AL. She was born about 1801 and died before 15 March 1824 in Blount Co. He married second Lutetia Gatewood on 15 March 1824 in Blount Co., AL; consent given by her guardian, Hezekiah Elliott. She was born 1800-10 in SC, and died between 25 Nov. 1845 and 1847. He married third Ann (or Anna) Morgan about 1847, probably in Blount Co. She was born about 1806 in TN, died after 1880 in Blount Co., AL, and was probably buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. She was recorded on the 1880 census in Blount Co., AL living with her son Mathias. She was probably part Indian. This family was recorded on the 1850-1870 censuses in Blount Co., AL. The 1850 census lists this family and shows that all children were born in AL.
Juda (or Judith) Elizabeth Morgan, born about 1836 in AL, Charles Randolph Morgan, born about 1840 in AL, who married Rebecca E. Caldwell, and Martha Jane Morgan, born about 1842 in AL, were children of Ann Morgan who were adopted by Doctor according to the Orphan's Court Minutes of Blount Co., 1829-1841. Charles Randolph (listed as Randle in 1850 census, Randal in 1860 census, both in the Graves household), was recorded as Charles Morgan in the 1870 Blount Co., AL census and as Charles R. in the 1880 Blount Co. census. Judah was listed with Doctor’s family in 1850 and 1860; in 1870 she was recorded in the next household in Blount Co. as Judah Morgan with 5-year old Mollie Moody, born in AL, and a 14-year old Rufus whose last name is indexed as Moody, not Morgan. He is recorded in subsequent Blount County censuses as Rufus Morgan; he was recorded in Walkers, Blount Co., AL in 1910 as Rufus Morgan, his mother Juda, age 73 lived with him. Jane was recorded with Doctor’s family in 1850, age 8, and in 1860, age 18. In 1870 there is a Martha J., age 22 recorded with the family. An aunt Jane Graves, age 25, born in AL, father born in NC, was recorded with Dewitt Graves, #11, in 1880 in Blount Co. Juda died 2 Nov. 1918 and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL.
It is possible that some of his other children were also adopted.
Doctor was a farmer, justice of the peace, and Overseer of the Poor in Blount Co.
Tradition says that a seventh son was sometimes named "Doctor" because he was supposed to be endowed with certain powers of healing and clairvoyancy. Doctor Graves settled in Blount Co., AL, near Alexander Graves (son of John, born 1779, who was a son of James, born about 1750), and was a witness at the wedding of Alexander, and Alexander was a bondsman in the adoption proceeding mentioned above. Based on this and his birth date, he could well have been the seventh son in the family of James Graves. (R‑1, R‑200)
Children - Graves, by Sally Allred
2. Mary Graves, b. 21 July 1820, m. John C. Graves, 12 Feb. 1838, d. 21 April 1889. Bur. Valley Spring Cem. (Cullman Co., AL). See genealogy of Thomas Graves (Genealogy 101) a probable brother of Doctor, for descendants. John C. Graves was a son of this Thomas Graves.
Children - Graves, by Lutetia Gatewood
+3. James Dewitt Graves, b. 25 June 1826, m. Angeline Brown, c. 1843, d. 9 May 1907.
4. Nancy Graves, b.c. 1829 (TN), never married; d.c. 1890. She lived with the family on the 1850, 1860 and 1870 censuses, and nephew Dewitt’s family in 1880. All four censuses record her place of birth as TN.
+5. Susan Graves, b.c. 1834, m. Richard Dutton, 19 Sept. 1858.
6. Hezekiah Graves, b.c. 1838 (Blount Co.), prob. not married, d. 28 Feb. 1862 (Ross Hosp. in Montgomery, AL in Civil War). Bur. Graves Gap Cem. He may have been the H.H. Graves who enlisted Sept. 1861 at Blount Springs and was sick on that day, entering hospital in Montgomery. He was a farmer. Was he named for Hezekiah Elliott, guardian of his mother Lutetia Gatewood?
+7. Francis Marion Graves, b.c. 1840, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brown, m(2). Sylvania Waid, 26 Jan. 1890, d. 8 Jan. 1900.
Children - Graves, by Ann Morgan
+8. Mathais Graves, b. March 1848, m. Mary Etta Kent, 20 May 1884, d. 24 July 1926.
+9. Clement Clay Graves, b. 5 Oct. 1850, m. Orlena Valentine Whaley, 15 Nov. 1877, d. 9 July 1916 (or 1918).
CHILDREN OF DOCTOR GRAVES (1)
James Dewitt Graves (3) was born 25 June 1826 and died 9 May 1907, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Angeline Brown about 1843. She was born 14 Feb. 1828 and died 28 April 1907, both in Blount Co., AL. They were both buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL.
From the book Hold the Hazards, by William Zorn, a story about the 29th Infantry Regt., 1861-65, James D. Graves enlisted 19 Sept. 1861, Blount Springs, AL, was furloughed home to help care for the sick, 28 Feb. until 38 (?) June 1862. He was paroled at Greensboro, NC, 1 May 1865. He served in Co. F, 29th Alabama Infantry, C.S.A.
The family was listed in the Blount Co. censuses for 1850, 1860, and 1870 (Township 13, Range 2 West, Village Springs Precinct, living near Doctor Graves). His occupations were carpenter, farmer, and constable. Their children were born in Blount Co., AL.
According to R‑4, Angeline was Indian and a slender, dark headed woman. On Decoration Day at Graves Gap, she wore long dresses with an apron and her bonnet, carrying a basket of cut flowers from her yard. She would walk around and lay one flower on each grave. (R‑1, R‑4, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+10. Lutetia Graves, b.c. 1843, m. Enoch Vanlandingham, 18 Feb. 1869.
+11. Dewitt Clinton Graves, b. Sept. 1849, m. Martha J. Staton, 27 Sept. 1870, d. Feb. 1936.
+12. Margaret Jane Graves, b. 1853, m. George Harkness, 20 Sept. 1868.
13. Sylvania Graves, b. 3 Jan. 1854, never married, d. 5 April 1937 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
14. Mary (Jane) Graves, b. 1856, never married.
+15. Catherine Elizabeth Graves, b. 16 June 1866, m. Joseph Henry Swann, 1918, d. 12 Jan. 1923.
Susan Graves (5) was born about 1834 in Blount Co., AL. She married Richard Dutton on 19 Sept. 1858 in Blount Co. He was born about 1836 in GA. This family was recorded on the 1860 census in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Dutton
16. Eliza Dutton, b.c. April 1860 (probably Blount Co., AL).
Francis Marion Graves (7) was born about 1840, died 8 Jan. 1900, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., all in Blount Co., AL. He first married Martha E. Brown. She was born about 1855 in AL. This family was recorded on the 1880 census in Springville, St. Clair Co., AL; Francis’ age was recorded as 28. He married second Sylvania Waide on 26 Jan. 1890 at the residence of Miss S. A. Waide by J. A. Waide, in Blount Co. She was born 3 Jan. 1854 in Chepultepec, AL, died 5 April 1937 in Blount Co., and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co. Sylvania was recorded on the 1900 Blount Co., AL census as a 44-year old widow with no children living next to James and Angeline Graves in Blountsprings, AL. Her year of birth was listed as 1856. (R‑1)
Children - Graves, by ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brown
+17. Lula C. Graves, b. March 1874, m(1) Hannibal McAnnally, c. 1896, m(2) David A. Winborn, c. 1906.
Mathias Graves (8) was born in March 1848, died 24 July 1926, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., all in Blount Co., AL. He was a farmer. He married Mary Etta Kent, daughter of James M. Kent (b. 1830, SC) and Francina ‑‑‑‑‑‑ (b. GA), on 20 May 1884 in Blount Co. She was born in Aug. 1858 in GA, died in Blount Co., AL, and was also buried in Graves Gap Cem. She was part Indian. This family was recorded on the 1900 and 1910 censuses in Walker Precinct, Blount Co., AL and the 1920 census in Gumsprings Precinct, Blount Co. Their children were born in Blount Co. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+18. Charles Gardner Graves, b. 4 July 1886, m. Emma Chamblee, d. 3 Feb. 1949.
+19. Viane Frances Graves, b. Jan. 1887, m. Jimmy Staten.
+20. Doctor Mathais Graves, b. 9 Feb. 1889, m. Ada Brooks, 1914, d. 7 Feb. 1975.
+21. Robert Clark Graves, b. 6 Dec. 1891, m(1) Donatta Reno, 18 Oct. 1912, m(2) Carry Morgan Gasscock, d. 1948.
+22. James Lewis Graves, b. 9 Aug. 1898, m. Alice Zady Barber, d. 22 Aug. 1962.
23. Rosie Lulu Graves, b. May 1897.
Clement Clay Graves (9) was born 5 Oct. 1850, died 9 July 1916 (or 1918 according to his tombstone), and was buried in Graves Gap Cem. (off Rt. 160 between Nector and Hayden, AL), all in Blount Co., AL. His middle name may have been Clinton. He was a farmer. He married Orlena Valentine Whaley, daughter of James Elgin Whaley and Rebecca Nobles, on 15 Nov. 1877 in Blount Co., AL. Her name was given as Liatha Arrean Whaley on her cemetery marker. She was born 25 Sept. 1857 and died 3 Jan. 1938, both in Blount Co., AL, and was also buried in Graves Gap Cem. She was Methodist and he probably was also. Their children were born in Blount Co., AL, and were buried in Graves Gap Cem. (R‑1, R‑3, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+24. Thaddeus Sylvester Graves, b. 19 July 1879, m. Locedia (or Louneetie) Josephine Armstrong, 14 Dec. 1904, d. 7 April 1964.
+25. Webster Garland Graves, b. 7 Jan. 1882, m. Carolyn Reed, 3 May 1906, d. 7 March 1980.
+26. Laura Bloom Graves, b. Feb. 1884, m. Manley J. Reid, 28 March 1907, d. 24 Feb. 1956.
+27. Maverick Ulesses Arnold Graves, b. 16 March 1887, m. Cora McCurry, 16 Jan. 1908, d. 18 Nov. 1958.
28. Alvin Elcana Graves, b. 23 July 1889, d. 12 Aug. 1905. Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
+29. Silas Linden Graves, b. 11 July 1892, m. Etta Mary Reid, d. 28 Oct. 1984.
+30. Merilla Emma Graves, b. 6 March 1894, m. James V. Sharred, d. 24 Feb. 1980.
31. Clifford Elsworth Graves, b. 31 March 1898, m. Florence (“Floy”) R. Harvel, d. 21 Nov. 1981. She was b. 7 Oct. 1908, d. 12 June 1997 (Cullman Co., AL). Both bur. Graves Gap Cem.
CHILDREN OF JAMES D. GRAVES (3) AND ANGELINE BROWN
Lutetia Graves (10) was born about 1843 in Blount Co., AL. She married Enoch Vanlandingham, probable son of David Landingham and Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 18 Feb. 1869 in Blount Co., AL (p. 294). He was born about 1847 in AL. He was a blacksmith. This family was listed on the 1870 census in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Vanlandingham
32. Alice Vanlandingham, b.c. 1869 (AL).
Dewitt Clinton Graves (11) was born in Sept. 1849 and died in Feb. 1936, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Martha J. Staton on 27 Sept. 1870 in Blount Co. She was born in Aug. 1855, and died 28 Nov. 1943, both in Blount Co., AL. They were both buried in Graves Gap Cem. in Blount Co., AL. They were recorded on the 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1930 Blount Co., AL censuses; their children were born there. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+33. Monroe Napoleon Graves, b. 27 July 1871, m(1) Lula Pannell, 10 Nov. 1892, m(2) Emma Kissie Waid, 1 July 1897, d. 28 Sept. 1938.
+34. George L. Graves, b. 24 Oct. 1873, m. Irene M. Dutton, d. 13 Jan. 1956.
35. William Graves, b.c. 1875.
36. Hezekiah H. (“Has”) Graves, b. 11 April 1878, m. Lulu ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 19 Nov. 1962. She was b. 10 May 1898 and d. 25 Sept. 1966 in Blount Co. Both bur. Graves Gap Cem.
+37. Julius Oliver Graves, b. 16 Dec. 1880, m. Tennie Lou Staton, 12 Jan. 1908, d. 15 Sept. 1951.
38. Sarah A. Graves, b. April 1883.
39. Katie S. Graves, b. Nov. 1886, m. W. B. Whaley, 24 Jan. 1903 (Blount Co.).
40. Lulu P. Graves, b. Feb. 1888, m. Daniel Bell, 1 June 1902 (Blountsville, Blount Co., AL).
41. Laura Jane Graves, b. May 1890, m. J. M. Smith. He d. before 1910 when she was recorded as a 19-year old widow.
+42. Dewitt Cleveland Graves, b. 26 Dec. 1892, m. Timmi Lou Staton, 27 Aug. 1911, d. 8 Dec. 1975.
43. Edward Grover Graves, b. 25 Jan. 1895, d. 11 Feb. 1978 (AL). Bur. Hopewell Bapt. Church Cem. (Cullman Co., AL). He was a minister.
44. Mary Graves, b. 10 March 1897, d. 12 Feb. 1898. Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
45. Lewis Graves, b. 31 Jan. 1899, d. 23 June 1899. Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
Margaret Jane Graves (12) was born about 1853 in Blount Co., AL. She married George Harkness on 20 Sept. 1868 in Blount Co. He was born about 1850 in Blount Co. Their children were born in AL, probably Blount Co. (R‑1)
Children - Harkness
46. Mary A. Harkness, b.c. 1874.
47. Lidda Harkness, b.c. 1879.
48. Samuel C. Harkness, b. 3 May 1880, d. Jefferson Co., AL. Bur. Oak Grove Bapt. Cem., Cleveland, Blount Co., AL.
49. Margaret Harkness, b. Oct. 1884. Recorded with her grandparents in 1900 Blount Co. census.
50. Jonathan J. Harkness, b.c. 1886.
Catherine Elizabeth Graves (15) was born 16 June 1866, died 12 Jan. 1923, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., all in Blount Co., AL. She married Joseph Henry Swann, son of George Washington Swann and Elmirah Jane Jett, in 1918. He was born 16 Oct. 1861 in Blount Co., AL, died 24 April 1924, and was also buried in Graves Gap Cem. Joe was a pottery maker. His father owned a jug factory on Thacker’s Creek in Graves Gap area. He made jugs, urns, tombs and other ceramic items. (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Swan
+51. Rodie Jane Angeline Swann, b. 1892, m William R. Price, 28 Feb. 1910, d. 1958.
52. Rapsie I. Swann, b. 17 Oct. 1896, m. Bervie Hays, d. 23 Aug. 1912 (Blount Co.). Bur. Graves Gap Cem. After her death, Bervie married Rapsie’s sister Rosie. Bervie d. 22 June 1955 in Blount Co.
53. Rufus Edward Swann, b. 2 March 1897.
54. Rosie J. Swann, b.c. 1898, m. Bervie Hays, d. 1988. She loved music and played the guitar.
55. Ross Swann
56. Ralph Swann
57. Dewey Swann, b. 5 May 1900, d. 18 April 1920 (prob. Jefferson Co., AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
CHILDREN OF FRANCIS M. GRAVES (7) AND ‑‑‑‑‑‑ BROWN
Lula C. (“Chrissie”) Graves (17) was born in March 1874 in Blount Co., AL. She first married Hannibal (“Herold”) McAnnally, son of James Young McAnnally and Catherine Honeycutt, about 1894. He was born in March 1872 in Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1900 census in Bangor, Blount Co., AL. She married second David A. Winborn about 1906. This family was recorded on the 1910 and 1920 censuses in Bangor, Blount Co., AL. There were apparently no children by her second marriage.
According to family oral tradition, Hannibal, Lula Graves' husband, was accidentally killed while "playing" a head-butting game-contest. This must have occurred sometime around 1900-05. He died the same day of the head-butt. Stella S. McAnnally, daughter of Hannibal and Lula, talked of this incident to her grandson, but he has not been able to locate a death certificate or other documents as evidence. Ode Belle, daughter of Stella, said that this head-butting incident was widely known by the entire Brooks/McAnnally family.
Ode Belle still talks of how close and helpful the Graves' family was to her and her siblings during any time of need. (There were plenty). Especially, Lula Graves, who was referred to as Chriss-mammy, who treated the Brooks family very kindly throughout her life, making sure all of the children were fed and taken care of whenever needed. (R‑1, R‑6)
Children - McAnnally
+58. Stella S. McAnnally, b. March 1895, m. James Brooks, d. 1968
59. Fannie E. McAnnally, b. March 1898 (AL).
60. Henry (“Dad”) McAnnally, b.c. 1901, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Grubbs.
61. Alice McAnnally, b.c. 1901, m. Wes Neslon.
+62. Delphia McAnnally, b. 17 Sept. 1902, m. Robert Barbee, d. Feb. 1985.
CHILDREN OF MATHIAS GRAVES (8) AND MARY E. KENT
Charles Gardner Graves (18) was born 4 July 1886 and died 3 Feb. 1949, both in Blount Co., AL. He was a farmer. He married Frances Emma Chamblee, called Emma, daughter of William Chamblee and Jane Curl of Gum Springs, Blount Co., AL. She was born 2 Feb. 1889 and died 19 May 1970, both in Blount Co., AL. They were both buried in Mt. Tabor Cem., Blount Co., AL. They were in the 1920 census for Gum Springs, Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
63. William C. (“Willie”) Graves, b.c. 1917, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ McFarland.
64. Jerry Graves, b.c. 1919, m. Elsie Swan.
65. Joe Graves
66. J. T. Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bales.
+67. Francis Graves, m. Bernice Black.
Viane Frances Graves (19) was born in Jan. 1887 in Blount Co., AL. She married John James (“Jimmy”) Staten. They were in the 1930 census for Walkers, Blount Co., AL, with his name given as John J. Staton, married to Frances V. Staton, with children John S. and James I. Staton, and no occupation. (R‑1)
Children - Staten
68. John Sivley Staten, b.c. Nov. 1920.
69. James I. (or Evans) Staten, b.c. Sept. 1924.
Doctor Mathias Graves (20) was born 9 Feb. 1889 in Blount Co., AL, died 7 Feb. 1975 in Cullman Co., AL, and was buried in Garden City Cem, Cullman Co. He was a mechanic. He married Ada Brooks, daughter of Molly Brooks, in 1914. She was born 27 May 1902 in Blount Co., AL, died 27 Sept. 1980 in Cullman Co., AL, and was also buried in Garden City Cem. In addition to raising a large family, she was one of the first women to accept a job in a manufacturing plant, replacing a man, so he could serve in WWII. His middle name was listed as Monroe on his World War Draft Registration Card.
Ada may have been the one who was listed in the 1910 census for Corinth, DeKalb Co., AL, living with her grandparents William M. and Elizabeth A. Brooks. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+70. Clarence Graves, m. Rachel Grubbs.
+71. Willis Graves, m. Mabel Marsh.
+72. Cannie Graves, m. Betty Wilson, d. May 1993.
+73. Hugh Max Graves, m. Nell ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+74. Horace Graves, m. Louise Troxell.
+75. Mae Graves, m. Luke Underwood.
+76. Lois Graves, m. Edward Sims.
+77. Lillie Bell Graves, m. Willy March.
+78. Pearl Graves, m. William Brummett.
+79. Tennie ("Tiny") Graves, m. Jack Brown.
+80. Maggie Sue Graves, m. Hugh D. McIntyre.
Robert Clark Graves (21) was born 6 Dec. 1891 in Blount Co., AL, died in 1948 in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Guinn’s Cove Cem., Blount Co., AL. He first married Donatta Reno, daughter of Leroy Pope Reno, on 18 Oct. 1912 in Blount Co., AL. He married second Velma Carrie (Morgan) Glasscock, probable daughter of Jesse Morgan and Mary/Molly Graves, after Jan. 1920 when both families lived side by side in Gumsprings, AL on the 1920 census.. Mary/Molly Graves is the daughter of Martha Jane Morgan who was adopted by Doctor Graves (#1). Known as Jane Graves, she married Jesse Morgan on 14 March 1886. Robert and Carrie had no children. He was a farmer. Carrie was first married to James Glasscock. She married third ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Vanzandt. (R‑1, R‑5)
Children - Graves, by Donatta Reno
81. Early Wesley Graves, d. age 13 months.
+82. Ludie Graves, b. 12 June 1916, m. Robert Larkin Bales, d. May 1990.
83. Lethia Graves, m. Roy Swan.
84. Edna Graves, m. Hillard Bradley.
James ("Jim") Lewis Graves (22) was born 8 Aug. 1898 in Blount Co., AL, died 22 Aug. 1962, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. He married Alice Zadie Barber. She was born 12 Oct. 1910 in AL. He did clock repair, and was a gunsmith, tinkerer, trapper, and farmer.
In the 1940's an article about Jim Graves was printed in the Blount County Democrat.
"Is this Alabama's Cave of Gold?
by Warren Musgrove
Is this 'The Cave of Gold'?
Jim Graves of Hayden, Ala., believes it is.
Folks around Blountsville have been hearing stories about 'The Cave of Gold' since before the turn of the century.
An old Indian set off the talk when he came back from the West and said: 'If folks knew what I know they would shoe their horses with gold.'
The Indian was always a little misty about the exact location of these fabulous riches. But he did say it was about a mile from a big spring. He also hinted darkly of some strange rock formation.
Graves points out the fact that this cave is within a mile of the spring known as 'The Acre Spring.' The cave is located in the edge of a weird half-acre of strange rock formations.
Some folks call this spot, the 'Devil's Tater Patch', others call it, 'The Devil's Graveyard.' Hundreds of rocks look remarkably like ancient tombstones. Some of them are so shaped that when you push them over they hop right up again.
There's an Indian footprint six inches deep in a solid lime rock near the cave. Is this where the Indian mired down as he carried his heavy load of gold to the cave?
Did the Indian tell the truth? Or did he tell a heap-big tall tale to cause white man much trouble?
Regardless of his intentions, many people took him seriously. This is evident by the numerous signs of digging and rock busting in the area.
The cave is about one-half mile east of the Bangor-Blountsville road in the Gum Springs Community." (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
85. James Vergil Graves, b. 10 April 1925, d. 18 May 1927 (Cullman Co., AL). Bur. Garden City Cem. (Cullman Co., AL).
86. Arvil M. Graves, b. 27 April 1930, d. 31 July 1990. Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
87. William Graves
88. Earl Graves
89. Paul Allen Graves
90. Edward Graves
91. Lucille Graves
92. Alene Graves
CHILDREN OF CLEMENT C. GRAVES (9) AND ORLENA V. WHALEY
Thaddeus Sylvester Graves (24) was born 19 July 1879, died 7 April 1964, and was buried in Graves Gap Cem., Hayden, Blount Co., AL. He married Locedia (or Louneetie) Josephine Armstrong, daughter of James S. Armstrong and Mary Hayes, on 14 Dec. 1904 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 22 May 1881 in Blount Co., AL, died 18 June 1962, and was also buried in Graves Gap Cem. James Armstrong was born in 1837 and died in 1904; Mary Hayes was born in 1843 and died in 1931. (R‑1, R‑3, R‑201)
Children - Graves
93. Lois Sevella Graves, b. 18 Oct. 1905 (Blount Co., AL), m. Rufus Edward Morgan, 16 Aug. 1925, d. 28 Oct. 1988 (Blount Co., AL). He was b. 2 March 1897 and d. 21 Oct. 1965. They were both bur. Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co.
+94. Dessie Lee Zella Graves, b. 17 Dec. 1907, m. Julius A. Hogeland, 23 Feb. 1930, d. 7 Oct. 1994.
95. Robert Marvin Graves, b. 8 Oct. 1909 (Blount Co., AL), m. Vergie O. Reid, 6 Nov. 1935, d. 22 Dec. 1998 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem. She was b. 10 May 1918.
+96. Flora Daylor Graves, b. 12 March 1911, m. C. Pettit, 14 Oct. 1933.
+97. Velma Louvera Graves, b. 2 June 1914, m. Dennis Jacobs, 23 Nov. 1935.
98. Dillard Alverson Graves, b. 23 April 1916 (Blount Co., AL), m. Pauline Hamm, 30 Jan. 1943.
99. child, b. and d. 6 Feb. 1918. Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
Webster Garland Graves (25) was born 7 Jan. 1882 and died 7 March 1980, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Carolyn (“Carrie”) Reed on 3 May 1906 in Blount Co. She was born 11 Feb. 1881 and died 21 Feb. 1963, both in Blount Co. They were born buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
100. Edna M. Graves, b. 10 May 1907 (Blount Co.)
+101. Venerable McCoy Graves, b. 21 Dec. 1908, m. Nannie Mae White, 26 March 1938, d. 20 Aug. 1995.
102. Berva A. Graves, b. 1911 (Blount Co.)
+103. Ezra Hebron Graves, b. 27 May 1913, m. Vida Mae Jacobs, d. 21 April 1985.
104. Henry C. Graves, b. 26 Aug. 1915 (Walker, Blount Co., AL), d. 15 July 1995 (AL).
+105. Luther Curtis Graves, b. 28 Feb. 1918, m. Barbara Beatrice Hamm, 29 Aug. 1941, d. 23 May 1988.
Laura Bloom Graves (26) was born in Feb. 1884 and died 24 Feb. 1956, both in Blount Co., AL. She married Manley J. Reid on 28 March 1907 in Blount Co., AL. He was born 1 Feb. 1881, and died 24 Feb. 1956 in Blount Co., AL. They were born buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. Their children were born in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Reid
106. Lullu (“Ludy”) F. Reid, b. 2 Nov. 1909.
107. Vera E. Reid, b. June 1913.
108. Samuel J. Reid, b. July 1917.
109. Alford J. Reid, b. Sept. 1919.
Maverick Ulesses Arnold Graves (27), called Arnold, was born 16 March 1887 and died 18 Nov. 1958, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Cora McCurry on 16 Jan. 1908 in Blount Co. She was born 11 May 1886 in Blount Co., AL, and died 1 Oct. 1969. They were both buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co. Their children were also born in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
110. Linnie M. Graves, b. 5 Feb. 1909.
111. Tira Little Graves, b. 8 Aug. 1910, d. 24 Jan. 1913 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
112. Wileford Graves, b. 1912.
113. Birtie Graves, b. 1914.
114. Ivra Graves, b. 1915.
115. Beatrice Graves, b. April 1918.
116. Selotice Graves, b. Dec. 1919.
Silas Linden Graves (29) was born 11 July 1892 and died 28 Oct. 1984, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Etta Mary Reid. She was born 11 Feb. 1894 in AL, and died 3 March 1968 in Blount Co. AL. They were both buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1930 census in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - Graves
117. Ottis H. Graves, b. 25 March 1914 (Blount Co.), m. Aldora Kay ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 27 Dec. 1979 (AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem. She was b. 29 Aug. 1922.
118. Mary C. Graves, b. Feb. 1916 (AL).
119. Bessie Graves, b. 3 March 1918, d. 18 March 1918 (both in Blount Co., AL). Bur. Graves Gap Cem.
120. Arra B. Graves, b. June 1919.
121. Hobert M. Graves, b. 24 Jan. 1922, m. Bertie S. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 21 Jan. 1996. She was b. 28 Feb. 1931, d. 24 April 1966. Both bur. Graves Gap Cem.
122. Med Graves, b.c. 1924.
123. Marie Graves, b.c. 1926.
124. Margaret Graves, b.c. 1929.
Merilla Emma Graves (30) was born 6 March 1894 and died 24 Feb. 1980, both in Blount Co., AL. She married James V. Sharred. He was born 10 May 1892 in AL, and died 28 Aug. 1943 in Jefferson Co., AL. They were both buried in Graves Gap Cem., Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Sharred/Sherred
125. Arlene Sherred, b.c. 1913, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Moon.
126. son, b. 30 Oct. 1916 (Blount Co., AL).
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 R‑1 lists her year of birth as 1878 and d. 27 Sept. 1966.