Rev. 28 April 2015, Gen. 108
DESCENDANTS OF WILSON GRAVES AND MELVINA ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Wilson Graves (1) may have been born about 1820 in NC, and died before 5 Feb. 1873; he was recorded as deceased on Calvin’s marriage record. He married Melvina (or Malvina) ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were listed on the death certificate of their son, Calvin. There may have been other children.
Children - Graves
+2. Calvin Graves, b.c. 1845, m(1) Dolly Willis, 6 Feb. 1873, m(2) Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1891, d. 11 April 1932.
Calvin Graves (2) was born in April 1845 in NC and died 11 April 1932, both in Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, and was buried in Yanceyville, NC. His death certificate listed his parents as Wilson Graves and Melvina Graves. He first married Dolly Willis, daughter of George Willis and Dilcia (“Dilsy or Dilcy”) Willis. She was born about 1853 in NC, and died between 1883 and 1891. Calvin was in the 1870 census for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC, with William Graves, 17, and Dilsy Graves, 13, living next to Charles Graves, 52, and Eliza, 46. Next to them was Tilly Graves, 46, and children Daniel, Mary, Elmira, and Giles. Also living close by, were James Graves and Melvina ‑‑‑‑‑‑, of Genealogy 22, and Samuel Graves, born about 1827, his wife, Tempy, and children Ella, Mary, Lindsey, and James; this latter family has not been linked to any genealogy. Dolly was also recorded on the 1870 census living very close to Calvin, William, and Dilsy. She lived with her mother, Dilsy and four of her siblings. Recorded as Dilcia in 1880, she lived next to Calvin and Dolly.
Calvin and Dolly were in the 1880 census for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC, with niece Ida B. Atkinson, age 10, living with them.
Calvin married second Jane (“Janie”) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1891. She was born in May 1851 in NC, died 8 May 1926 in Yanceyville, NC, and was buried in Graves Chapel Baptist Church Cem., Caswell Co., NC. Calvin and Jane were in the 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses for Yanceyville Twp., NC. Jane’s only child had died by 1900. He was a farm laborer in 1870 and 1880, and a farmer in 1900 and later. All his children were born in NC.
Calvin was recorded as a 92-year old widower on the 1930 census; he lived with his daughter and son-in-law Hattie and Grant Bigelow.
Children – Graves, by Dolly Willis
+3. Harriet Graves, b. Feb. 1866 (or 20 Oct. 1869), m. Grant Bigelow, c. 1890, d. 24 May 1965.
4. Sarah Belle Graves, b.c. 1872.
5. Ella Graves, b.c. 1874.
6. George Graves, b.c. 1876.
7. Louisa Graves, b. July 1879.
8. Jake Graves, b. March 1882.
+9. William Preston Graves, b. May 1883 (or 18 May 1885), m. Loucinda Jane Bigelow, c. 1908, d. 19 Dec. 1949.
CHILDREN OF CALVIN GRAVES (1) AND DOLLY WILLIS
Harriet (“Hattie”) Graves (3) was born 20 Oct. 1869 (or Oct. 1870 according to the 1900 census) in Caswell Co., NC, died 24 May 1965 in Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, and was buried in Graves Chapel Baptist Church Cem., Anderson, Caswell Co., NC. She married Ulysses Grant Bigelow, called Grant, about 1890. He was born in Feb. 1866 in NC. This family was recorded on the 1900-1930 censuses in Yanceyville, NC; their children were born in NC.
Children – Bigelow
19. Dollie Jane Bigelow, b. 30 Jan. 1892, m. Ben Lea, d. 13 June 1965 (Yanceyville, NC). Bur. Graves Chapel Cem.
20. Robert J. Bigelow, b. Aug. 1895, m. Jennie B. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
21. Pensicola (Pensie) C. Bigelow, b. Feb. 1898, m. Granderson Watkins, d. 10 May 1972 (Reidsville, Rockingham Co., NC). Bur. Graves Chapel Bapt. Church Cem.
22. Fred H. Bigelow, b.c. 1901.
23. Ophelia Bigelow, b. 15 Nov. 1904, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Phillips, d. 5 June 1989 (VA).
24. Ulysses Grant Bigelow, Jr., b. 26 Dec. 1906.
25. Addie L. Bigelow, b.c. 1910.
26. Oliver Grant Bigelow, b. 1 Jan. 1916.
27. Hollis Preston Bigelow, b. 13 Oct. 1918, m. Mary Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 23 Feb. 2000 (Caswell Co., NC).
William Preston (or Preston William) Graves (9) was born about 1879 or May 1883 according to the 1900 census (or 18 May 1885 according to his death certificate) in NC, died 19 Dec. 1949 in Williamsburg, Rockingham Co., NC, and was buried in Graves Chapel Baptist Church Cem., Caswell Co., NC. He married Loucinda (“Cinda or Sendie”) Jane Bigelow about 1908. She was born about 1893 in NC, and died after 19 Dec. 1949. They were in the 1920 census for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC. She was in the 1930 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, as a servant. He was a farmer and was recorded separately on the 1930 census in Yanceyville with their children.
Children – Graves
28. Vida Bell Graves, b. 10 May 1918, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bigelow, d. 12 Nov. 2001. Bur. Smyrna Church of Christ Cem. (Reidsville, Rockingham Co., NC).
29. George Edward Lee Graves, b. 30 July 1920, d. 8 Oct. 1920 (Yanceyville, NC). Bur. Graves Chapel.
30. Lusterene Graves, b. 21 Aug. 1921, m. John Garrett. They divorced 8 March 1979 (Rockingham Co., NC).
31. James Ernest Graves, b. 13 Oct. 1923, d. 26 Feb. 2004.
+32. William Preston Graves, Jr., b. 30 March 1925, m. Ivadell Cotton, d. 11 April 2004.
33. Bertha Mary Graves, b. 25 April 1928.
34. Lula Graves, b. and d. 4 Dec. 1931 (Yanceyville, NC). Stillborn.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 299, as posted on Ancestry.com.
North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 343, as posted on Ancestry.com. The informant, Grant Watkins, did not know the names of her parents.
 North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 14673, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, as posted on Ancestry.com; this birth date is probably incorrect as he did not appear on the 1880 census.
 North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 29328, as posted on Ancestry.com.