Rev. 20 Feb. 2012, Gen. 120
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN P. GRAVES AND MARIA SILVA
OF AZORES & MA
John P. Graves (1) was born about 1845 in Faial, Western Islands (Azores), and apparently died between 1892 and 1896, place unknown. His birth information was according to his children's birth certificates and the 1880 census. According to family legend, he was son of a courier for the British government.
He married Maria Laura Silva. She was born in Jan. 1851 in Faial, Western Islands (Azores), died 17 April 1928 in Medford, Middlesex Co., MA, and was buried in Oak Grove Cem., Medford. According to the 1900 census, she arrived in the U.S. in 1869. During the period of 1872-1885, they supposedly lived in Gloucester and Manchester, MA, and he shipped out in the merchant and/or fishing fleets (usually as a cook). By 1888-89 he seems to have moved to South Boston, and he shows up again in the 1890-91 street directory. By 1892-93 there is one listing in the directory for Mrs. Mary Graves and another listing for Henry, their son. John seems to have disappeared. By 1896 Mary is listed as a widow living in Cambridge with Henry as a boarder.
The question of when and where John died is complicated by the family tradition that he died in a sailors' home called "Snug Harbor", which was located on Staten Island, NY. Unfortunately, the only record they can locate is for one John Graves, born in England approx. 1790, who died in 1869. Could this be John's father?
They were in the 1880 census for Gloucester, Essex Co., MA, when he was a fisherman. Both his parents were born in the Azores. The 1900 census referred to above for Maria Graves was apparently the census for Boston, Ward 23, Suffolk Co., MA, which listed Maria, widowed, born Jan. 1851 in Brazil, immigrated 1869, both her parents born in Brazil, with daughter Minnie Graves, born Sept. 1875 in MA, both living as boarders in the household of Matilda Spry. She hasnŐt been found in the 1910 census. The 1920 census for Medford, Middlesex Co., MA, listed Mary E. Graves, 65 (born about 1855), born in Portugal, immigrated 1869, living with her daughter Mary and son-in-law Michael J. Stanton.
All their children were born in Gloucester, Essex Co., MA, except for Lewis, Joseph, and Amelia, who were born in Manchester, Essex Co., MA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. Henry Joseph Graves, b. 18 Jan. 1872, m. Elizabeth Genevieve Welch, 10 June 1907, d. 12 Jan. 1946.
3. John Graves, b. 18 Sept. 1873, d. 24 Nov. 1873.
+4. Mary Edith Graves, b. 20 Nov. 1874, m. Michael Joseph Stanton, 24 Nov. 1909, d. 10 Jan. 1956.
5. Lewis Graves, b. Sept. 1876, d. 2 Nov. 1877.
6. Joseph Graves, b. 28 Sept. 1878, d. 12 Oct. 1878.
7. Amelia Graves, b. 11 Aug. 1879, d. 14 Sept. 1879.
8. Anne Graves, b. 19 June 1880, d. 25 July 1880.
9. John Graves, b. 3 July 1881, d. 21 Sept. 1881.
10. Eva Graves, b. 6 Dec. 1882, d. 2 Sept. 1883.
11. Joseph Graves, b. 27 Aug. 1884, d. 9 Sept. 1884.
12. Frank Graves, b. 15 Nov. 1885, d. 9 Dec. 1885.
CHILDREN OF JOHN P. GRAVES (1) AND MARIA SILVA
Henry Joseph Graves (2) was born 18 Jan. 1872 in Gloucester, Essex Co., MA, died 12 Jan. 1946 in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., MA, and was buried in Holy Cross Cem., Malden, MA. He married Elizabeth Genevieve Welch (or Walsh), daughter of David Gregory Walsh (b. Charlestown, MA) and Hannah Maria Ward (b. Cambridge, MA), on 10 June 1907 in Cambridge, MA. She was born 28 Feb. 1877 in Cambridge, MA, died 11 Feb. 1944 in Boston, MA, and was buried in Holy Cross Cem., Malden, MA. All their children were born in Cambridge. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
13. Virginia Elizabeth Graves, b. 31 July 1908, m. Joseph Christopher Moran, 21 June 1931.
14. Mary Margaret Graves, b. 13 Dec. 1909. Entered the Convent of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur.
15. Helen Olive Graves, b. 29 July 1911, m. Thomas Joseph Hickey, 4 Sept. 1939.
16. Edna Josephine Graves, b. 7 Dec. 1912, m. Lawrence Stevens Kidd, 5 Oct. 1947, d. 8 Dec. 1948.
17. Gertrude Barbara Graves, b. 3 June 1914, m. John J. Dynan, 20 Aug. 1938 (St. Mary's Church, Cambridge, MA). He was b. 4 Jan. 1914, Cambridge, MA, d. 14 July 1968, Reading, MA, bur. Cambridge Cem., Cambridge, MA, son of Anthony Dynan (b. Ireland) and Susan D. McNamara (b. Ireland). No children.
18. Agnes Loretta Graves, b. 26 March 1919, d. 6 June 1920.
Mary Edith Graves (4) was born 20 Nov. 1874 in Gloucester, Essex Co., MA, and died 10 Jan. 1956 in Medford, Middlesex Co., MA. She married Michael Joseph Stanton, son of Owen Stanton (b. Ireland) and Hannah Troy (b. Ireland), on 24 Nov. 1909 at St. Joseph's Church, Somerville, Middlesex Co., MA. He was born 22 Dec. 1878 in Charlestown, Suffolk Co., MA, and died 24 May 1949 in Medford, MA. They were both buried in Oak Grove Cem., Medford. They were in the 1910 census for Somerville, Middlesex Co., MA. They were in the 1920 census for Medford, Middlesex Co., MA, and her mother was living with them. He was a marble setter. (R‑1)
Children - Stanton
19. Paul Michael Joseph Stanton, b. 13 Nov. 1910, m. Florence Annette Novelline, 2 March 1946, d. 9 Oct. 1975.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page