Rev. 16 Sept. 2010, Gen. 126
DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS GRAVES OF NORTHAMPTON CO., VA
Thomas Graves (1) may have been born about 1735 in VA. He married Nancy ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1758, probably in Northampton Co., VA. He lived in Northampton Co., VA.
It was suggested by R‑8 that this Thomas Graves was the one who was born by 1724, descended from John Graves of Virginia and Northamptonshire, England (genealogy 270) via John1, John2, Thomas3. However, that Thomas married Elizabeth, not Nancy, his children are known, and the family lived in Orange Co. and Culpeper Co., VA, not Northampton Co. and Loudoun Co., VA. Neither that Thomas Graves nor any other person in genealogy 270 is known to have had a son named Launcelot or Lance.
The fact that this Thomas Graves lived in Northampton Co., the same area where Capt. Thomas Graves (genealogy 169) lived certainly suggests the possibility of a connection. However, no other evidence of a connection is known.
It has also been suggested that there could be a connection with the family of John Greaves of St. Mary’s Co., MD (genealogy 247). A Joshua Nelson married Elizabeth Greaves, daughter of John Greaves who died in 1748 in St. Mary's Co., MD (genealogy 247). The will of Joshua Nelson was written in 1744, filed in St. Mary’s Co., MD, and mentions his wife Elizabeth, children Lancelot, Mary Ann, Chloe, and Seneca, and slaves. Joshua apparently died between the codicil date of 11 May 1744 and 9 July 1744 when the will was proved.
The will in part states: “In the name of God, Amen, I Joshua Nelson of Northumberland Co. (VA)... I leave to Elizabeth, my loving wife, the use of four negroes... I give to my son Lancelot forty-five pounds sterling...” It is believed that Lancelot may have been by a previous marriage, before Joshua married Elizabeth Greaves.
It is interesting to note that the names of Mary Ann and Chloe were also used by Elizabeth’s brother Thomas Greaves for his children. Considering that the name of Lancelot is very rare and has not been found among the descendants of Capt. Thomas Graves of VA, is it possible that Lancelot Graves (son of Thomas Graves of Northampton Co., VA) could be part of this family of St. Mary’s Co., MD?
Northampton Co. and Northumberland Co., VA are close to each other. Also, Lancelot Graves’ children are believed to have included Lance (named after him), Elizabeth and Joshua (these last 2 might have been named for his sister and brother, since Thomas Greaves had a sister and brother by this name).
However, DNA testing of descendants of genealogy 126, genealogy 270, genealogy 247, and genealogy 169 shows they do not share a common Graves/Greaves ancestor through the male line. There is always the possibility of a connection through a daughter who named a son with her maiden surname (perhaps as a result of the son being brought up in her parents’ household), or an adoption of another relative or non-relative. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children - Graves
+2. Launcelot Graves, b.c. 1760, m(1) Lillie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Nancy Clark, possibly c. 1794, d.c. 1810.
CHILDREN OF THOMAS GRAVES (1)
Launcelot (or Lancelot) Graves (2) was born about 1760 in Northampton Co., VA, and died about 1810, probably in Loudoun Co., VA. In one biographical sketch he was called Lot. He first married an Indian girl by the name of Lillie. Because of her being full-blood Cherokee Indian, no one in the family would acknowledge the marriage or the children that came of it. They supposedly considered it a disgrace to marry an Indian or have any Indian connection. Later, Launcelot left Lillie and married a much younger white girl, Nancy Clark, probably about 1794, and the family once again accepted him. They apparently lived in Loudoun and Fairfax counties, VA, since that is where Elizabeth and Joshua were born.
There is a draft from the U.S. government giving Lillie $32.00 for her land. It is dated 1832 and was in the possession of John Gray, a descendant of Lancelot and Lillie Graves. Both Lillie and Lance (her son) are listed on the Cherokee immigration rolls of 1817. They were supposedly forced to move to the Oklahoma Indian reservation, but that is suspect since Lance later lived in TN and KY. Lillie and her children were wiped from the family records by almost all of the family; only one or two ever mentioned them, and then it was with great care.
The 1810 census for Loudoun Co., VA shows a household headed by a Nancy Graves who is probably this Nancy. If so, it would seem that Launcelot must have died between 1800 and 1810 (after 1800, because the household contained 2 males under 10, 1 female under 10, and 1 female 10-16 (Elizabeth)). The census also shows one male and one female over 45; although the male could have been Launcelot, since he would have been 50, it is more likely that his or her parents were living in the household, probably hers.
There may have been an older daughter, Rachel Graves, and an older son, Lance Graves, neither of whom were living in the household in 1810. Rachel was perhaps born about 1790 (based on her marriage date of 1808). Lance was born about 1793 in VA, married Lovena V. McCoy, and moved to Warren Co. and then to Marshall Co., KY.
If Nancy is the female, age 16-26 in the 1810 census, then she was probably born about 1784 (from 1784 to 1794), confirming that she was Launcelot's second wife. It would have been very unlikely that she would have married before age 14, about 1798 at the earliest. That would mean at least the older children were by a first wife. On the other hand, it is possible that Nancy was born earlier, and the 1810 census was either wrong about her age or the female 16-26 was someone else (such as an older daughter) (R‑1, R‑2, R‑8)
Children - Graves, by Lillie ------
3. Rachel Graves (possible child), b.c. 1790, m(1) Hardin Turner, 1808, m(2) Jeremiah Penick, by 1826.
+4. Launcelot Graves, b.c. 1793, m(1) Elizabeth Smith, 24 May 1814, m(2) Lovena V. McCoy, 18 Jan. 1842, d. 1860-1870.
Children - Graves, by Nancy Clark
+5. Elizabeth Graves, b. 5 June 1797, m. George Smith, 24 Dec. 1818, d. 25 July 1883.
+6. Joshua Graves, b. 7 Oct. 1799, m. Elizabeth Henderson, 1819, d. 1878.
7. daughter, b.c. 1801 (from 1800 to 1809).
8. son, b.c. 1805 (from 1800 to 1809).
CHILDREN OF LAUNCELOT GRAVES (2) AND NANCY CLARK
Launcelot (“Lance”) Graves (4) was born about 1793 in Northampton Co., VA, and died between 1860 and 1870 in KY. He was listed as Launcelot in the 1830 census, as Lance in the 1820 and 1850 censuses, and as Lancey in the 1840 census. He first married Elizabeth Smith on 24 May 1814. She was living with him in the 1820 and 1830 censuses for Warren Co., KY, born 1790-1795. He was in the 1840 census for Lauderdale Co., TN. According to R‑8, there were three children by this marriage, Edwin, William and James. The 1820 and 1830 censuses showed the first 4 children listed below, but they weren’t in the 1840 census. The 3 sons in the 1840 census (and named by R‑8) could not be found in the 1850 census.
He married second Lovena (or Lovina) V. McCoy on 18 Jan. 1842 in Lauderdale Co., TN. She was born about 1822 in NC (according to the 1850 census and the 1880 census for her son William). They lived in Marshall Co., KY, near Nashville, and in Pulaski Co., MO. Lance Graves sold land in Pulaski Co., MO in 1856-57. They were listed in the 1850 census in Marshall Co., KY, p. 37, dwelling 598, family 599. Lance was also in the 1860 Marshall Co., KY census as head of household, but he was not in the household in the 1870 Marshall Co. census, when Lovena and her 3 youngest children were living with her son Champ, indicating that Lance had died before then. (R‑4, R‑8)
Children - Graves, by first wife
9. daughter, b. 1810-1815.
10. daughter, b.1815-1820.
11. daughter, b. 1820-1825.
12. son, b. 1820-1825.
13. Edwin G. Graves, b. 1830-1835.
14. William F. Graves, b. 1830-1835.
15. James Graves, b. 1830-1835.
Children - Graves, by Lovena V. McCoy
+16. Mary Elizabeth Graves, b. 12 Dec. 1842, m(1) Peter Baker, m(2) James Wesley Logan, 15 Aug. 1859, m(3) Samuel A. Brookshire, 22 May 1865, m(4) Charles Spenser Gray, c. 1873, d. 20 June 1928.
+17. Champ Connor Graves, b. 30 Nov. 1844, m. Sarah Taylor, 12 May 1863, d. 12 Oct. 1911.
+18. Virginia Ann Graves, b.c. 1847, m. George Washington Marshall, 18 Feb. 1865, d. 1885.
+19. William Lance Graves, b. 9 Sept. 1849, m(1) Harriett Evelyne York, 1871, m(2) Emiline Henson, c. 1892, m(3) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(4) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(5) Nancy Gilkay, d. 7 Sept. 1935.
20. Perlina Jane Graves, b. 9 Aug. 1852 (Marshall Co., KY), m. William H. Baker, 1 April 1869 (Marshall Co., KY).
+21. James H. Graves, b.c. 1854, m. Artilla ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+22. Susan C. Graves, b.c. 1856, m. Wiley Puckett, 18 June 1879.
23. David Graves, b.c. 1861 (KY).
Elizabeth Graves (5) was born 5 June 1797 in Loudoun Co., VA, and died 25 July 1883 in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. She married George Smith, son of George Smith and Mary Hibbs, on 24 Dec. 1818 in Loudoun Co., VA. He was born 27 Dec. 1795 in Loudoun Co., VA, recorded at Goose Creek Monthly Meeting, and died 22 Oct. 1875 in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. They were both buried in Guernsey Co., OH. They were Quakers, and probably belonged to Flushing Monthly Meeting. All their children were born at Flushing, Belmont Co., OH. (R‑2)
Children - Smith
+24. William G. Smith, b. 4 April 1831, m. Mary Ann Thwaite, 28 June 1854, d. 23 Jan. 1901.
+25. Samuel R. Smith, b. 19 March 1833, m. Catherine S. Kirk, 23 Oct. 1855, d. 21 Nov. 1903.
26. Mary Ann Smith, b. 14 Aug. 1836, d. 13 Nov. 1846 (choked on a whistle, Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH).
Joshua Graves (6) was born 7 Oct. 1799 in Fairfax, Fairfax Co., VA (near Washington, DC), and died 1878. He married Elizabeth Henderson in 1819. She was born 7 June 1802 in Loudon Co., VA (next to Fairfax Co., on the west). They have not yet been found in the 1840 census. They were in the 1850 census for Ohio Co., VA (later WV), when he was a laborer, and all their children were listed. They were in the 1860 census for Pease Twp., Belmont Co., OH (just across the Ohio River from Ohio Co., VA), when he was a huckster, and the children with them were Susannah, Eliza, Sarah and Lucinda. They were in the 1870 census for Buffalo Twp., Brooke Co., WV. Their first child was born in VA, the next 4 in OH, and the last 5 in VA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
27. Mary Graves, b.c. 1824.
28. Susannah Graves, b.c. 1826.
29. Joseph Graves, b.c. 1830.
30. Westford C. Graves, b.c. 1832.
31. George W. Graves, b.c. 1834.
+32. Robert Clemens Graves, b. 15 May 1836, m. Martha Jane Reed, 4 March 1858, d. 17 March 1917.
33. Eliza Ann Graves, b.c. 1838.
34. Sarah E. Graves, b.c. 1840.
35. Lucinda E. Graves, b.c. 1842.
36. Laura F. Graves, b.c. 1846.
CHILDREN OF LAUNCELOT GRAVES (4) AND LOVENA ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Mary Elizabeth Graves (16) was born 12 Dec. 1842 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN, died 20 June 1928 (or 1925) in Waynesville,Pulaski Co., MO, and was buried in Dry Creek Cem. on Fred Gray's farm, east of St. Roberts, Pulaski Co., MO. She first married Peter Baker. She married second James Wesley Logan on 15 Aug. 1859 (or 1858) in Pulaski Co., MO. He was born 3 April 1835 in Amherst Co., VA, and died 5 Oct. 1862 in Yellville, Marion Co., AR. She married third Samuel A. Brookshire on 22 May 1865 in Pulaski Co., MO. He was born 18 Dec. 1842 in Coffee Co., TN. She married fourth Charles Spenser Gray about 1873. He was born about 1828 in NY, and died in 1907 in Moab, Pulaski Co., MO. All her children were born in Pulaski Co., MO, the first 2 in Sally Logan homestead, and the others in Tribune. (R‑6)
Children - Logan
37. Sarah Logan, b. 5 Jan. 1860, d. 4 July 1869 (Marshall, KY).
+38. Lovina Judson Logan, b. 12 Dec. 1861, m. Andrew Jackson York, 23 Sept. 1877, d. 17 Aug. 1923.
Children - Gray
+39. Harry Bradford Gray, b. 13 April 1874, m. Cora Catherine York, 30 Jan. 1895, d. 30 Oct. 1938.
+40. Champ Frederick Gray, b. 7 Dec. 1877, m(1) Minnie Jane Lane, m(2) Rosina D. Hively, 9 April 1897, m(3) Sophia A. Church, 4 April 1929, d. 30 March 1953.
+41. Catherine Leola Gray, b. 14 May 1879, m. John Delbert Hively, 7 April 1894, d. 30 Oct. 1957.
Champ Connor Graves (17) was born 30 Nov. 1844 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN, and died 12 Oct. 1911 in Livingston Co., KY. He married Sarah Taylor, daughter of William Taylor and Margaret J. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 12 May 1863 in Livingston Co., KY. She was born 12 Aug. 1846 in Livingston Co., KY, and died about 1918-1919 in San Luis Obispo, CA. Her parents and their children were in the 1860 census for Livingston Co., KY. Champ and Sarah were in the 1870 census for Marshall Co., KY, with his mother and siblings James, Susan and David living with them. Champ, his wife, and their children, were listed in the 1880 census for Cullen, Pulaski Co., MO. They were in the 1900 census for Smithland Twp., Livingston Co., KY, when their 3 youngest children and her mother were living with them. Their first 3 children were born in KY and the others in MO. (R‑5, R‑9)
Children - Graves
42. Eliza (“Lizzy”) Graves, b.c. 1865, m. John Franklin Bittrick. She was a widow in 1910, living with her brother Walter.
+43. William W. Graves, b. 17 Sept. 1866, m(1) Cynthia Rosanna Bittick, c. 1887, m(2) Malinda Davis.
44. Elizabeth Graves, b.c. 1869.
45. Dove (or Dovie) Graves, b.c. 1871.
46. Luticia Graves, b. 23 Feb. 1875.
47. Walter Graves, b.c. 1877, m. Rosetta Bittrick (sister of Rosanna Bittrick). Living in Morgan Twp., Lawrence Co., AR in 1900 and 1910. Farmer; no children in 1910.
+48. Christopher Alexander Graves, b. 30 Dec. 1880, m. Bella Zora Whitlow, c. 1903.
49. Sarah B. Graves, b. March 1884.
+50. Champ Connor Graves, b. 2 Nov. 1886, m. Nina Cash, 14 June 1911, d. 14 Dec. 1958.
Virginia Ann Graves (18) was born about 1847 in Marshall Co., KY, and died in 1885. She married George Washington Marshall on 18 Feb. 1865 in Smithland, Livingston Co., KY. He was born about 1830 (or 1840) in KY, and died 11 July 1878 in KY. They were in the 1870 census for Driskill Precinct, Livingston Co., KY, Smithland P.O., with him listed as farm laborer. Virginia was head of household, widow, in the 1880 census for Driskills 2nd Dist., Livingston Co., KY. All their children were born in KY. (R‑5)
Children - Marshall
+51. Mary Elizabeth Marshall, b. 31 Jan. 1866, m. Henry Blaine Saltzgiver, 15 July 1891, d. 28 March 1952.
52. Martha L. Marshall, b.c. 1868.
+53. Nancy Lorraine Marshall, b. 15 March 1870, m. Grundy McCoy, 1887, d. 9 Jan. 1910.
54. Nellie Adeline Marshall, b.c. 1871, d. 1872.
55. Florence Eleanor Marshall, b.c. 1873, d. 1929.
56. David Henry Marshall, b.c. 1876, d. 1947.
+57. George Gracey Marshall, b. 15 July 1878, m. Joseph Marshall Thomas, 24 Dec. 1894, d. 11 June 1951.
William Lance Graves (19) was born 9 Sept. 1849 in KY, died 7 Sept. 1935 in Pulaski Co., MO, and was buried in Friendship Cem., inside Fort Leonard Wood. He first married Harriett Evelyne York, daughter of Richard C. York and Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, in 1871 in Pulaski Co., MO. She was born in 1852 or 1854 in MO, and died about 1890 in Pulaski Co., MO. He secondly married Emiline Henson (or Emiline Arena Hanson), daughter of Cornelius Hanson and Melvina West, about 1892 in Pulaski Co., MO. She was born in 1868, and died in 1911 in Pulaski Co., MO. He married third Jane Williams on 12 Nov. 1912 in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. He married fourth Dorshie Ramey on 19 Oct. 1916 in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. He married his fifth wife, Nancy (“Nan”) Gilkay, on 6 July 1926 in Tribune, MO.
His family was in the 1880 census twice, the first time in Cullen, Pulaski Co., MO, page 371B, and the second time in Piney, Pulaski Co., MO, page 401C. They probably moved just after the census in Cullen. It is interesting to see the differences in the two censuses. In Cullen, his wife was listed as Harriet, age 28, and his oldest son was listed as Henry, while in Piney, she was Eveline, age 26, and the son was David H. According to R‑8, his first child was born in Pulaski Co., MO, his fifth in Perryville, MO, and all the others in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. (R‑4, R‑8)
Children - Graves, by Harriett E. York
+58. David Henry Graves, b. 31 Dec. 1872, m. Mary Elizabeth Labargar, 26 March 1893, d. 6 March 1948.
59. Mary E. ("Mollie") Graves, b. 30 March 1876, m(1) Thomas W. Gan, 5 April 1891 (Pulaski Co., MO), m(2) John York.
+60. Martha Levine Graves, b. 24 Sept. 1879, m. William Jackson Atterberry, 7 April 1895, d. 14 Nov. 1903.
61. William Frank Graves, b. 1884 (?), m. Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑. Bur. St. Genevieve, MO.
62. Katheryn Virginia ("Jenny") Graves, b. 12 March 1886, m. John Lorenzo Manes, 30 Dec. 1903 (Pulaski Co., MO), d. 13 Feb. 1963 (Waynesville, Pulaski Co., MO). Bur. Bethlehem Cem., Pulaski Co., MO.
+63. Joseph Lillburn Graves, b. 10 March 1888, m. Maggie Lillian Crossland, 9 Dec. 1909, d. 3 June 1947.
Children - Graves, by Emiline Henson
64. Harriett Graves, b. 1892-93 (Pulaski Co., MO), m. Bruce Floyd Barnhill. He d. Aug. 1933 of typhoid fever. Their one son died.
+65. Everett Odney Graves, b. 18 June 1894, m(1) Clella Allaina Williams, 16 July 1919, d. 17 Oct. 1982.
66. Virgil (“Virgie”) Even Graves (son), b. 28 Feb. 1903, never married, d. 11 Feb. 1925 (of snake bite).
67. Lucy Mae Graves, b. 1906, m. Earl Dunlap.
+68. Marvin Clayton Graves, b. 18 Sept. 1908, m. Gladys May Silby, 2 Nov. 1931.
James H. Graves (21) was born about 1854 in Marshall Co., KY. He married Artilla ‑‑‑‑‑‑. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
69. Tennessee Graves
70. Indian Graves
71. Robert Graves
72. John Graves
Susan C. Graves (22) was born about 1856 or 1858 in MO. She married Wiley Puckett on 18 June 1879 in KY. He was born about 1850 in KY. They were in the 1880 census for Bishops Mill, Marshall Co., MO, page 167C. All their children were born in KY.
Children - Puckett
73. Cora E. Puckett, b.c. 1871.
74. George G. Puckett, b.c. 1875.
75. Robert L. Puckett, b.c. 1878.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH GRAVES (5) AND GEORGE SMITH
William G. Smith (24) was born 4 April 1831 in Flushing, Belmont Co., OH, and died 23 Jan. 1901 in Lawrence, KS. He married Mary Ann Thwaite, daughter of James Thwaite and Mary Ann Tew, on 28 June 1854 in Flushing, OH. She was born 16 Jan. 1835 in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, and died 6 Dec. 1900 in Lawrence, KS. They were both buried in Oak Cem., Lawrence, KS. They were apparently Quakers. Their first child was born in Flushing, Belmont Co., OH, and all the others in Guernsey Co., OH. (R‑2)
Children - Smith
76. Mary Jane Smith, b. 20 April 1855, m. James H. Day, 27 Dec. 1877, d. 12 Dec. 1914.
77. Ann Elizabeth Smith, b. 26 Nov. 1857, d. 29 April 1860 (Guernsey Co., OH).
78. Lucy Thwaite Smith, b. 29 April 1862, m. John Lewis Hall, 11 Sept. 1881, d. 13 April 1939.
79. Albert J. Smith, b. 17 Dec. 1863, m. Flora Isabell Van Fossen, 9 Nov. 1884, d. 27 April 1939.
80. Isabell Elma Smith, b. 14 Dec. 1867, never married, d. 28 Nov. 1953.
81. James W. ("Jay") Smith, b. 16 Oct. 1870, m(1) Anna Ford, m(2) Grace L. Cox, 21 Sept. 1910, d. 21 May 1948.
82. Alice Catharine Smith, b. 27 Nov. 1875, d. 25 July 1876.
Samuel R. Smith (25) was born 19 March 1833 in Flushing, Belmont Co., OH, and died 21 Nov. 1903 in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. He married Catherine S. Kirk, daughter of Joel Kirk and Mary Ann Smith, on 23 Oct. 1855 in Smithfield Meetinghouse, Jefferson Co., OH. She was born 13 March 1837 in Jefferson Co., OH (recorded at Plymouth-Smithfield Monthly Meeting), and died 31 Aug. 1892 in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. They were both buried in Old Quaker Church Yard, Smyrna, OH. They were Quakers. All their children were born in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. (R‑2)
Children - Smith
83. George K. Smith, b. 8 Feb. 1857, m. Anna Doudna, 27 March 1878, d. 6 June 1923.
84. Joel K. Smith, b. 5 July 1859, m. Laura E. Hibbs, 14 May 1881, d. 23 March 1926.
85. Harvey W. Smith, b. 20 Dec. 1864, m. Laura Ann Bond, 6 Oct. 1886, d. 9 Sept. 1948.
86. Murry L. Smith, b. 16 Jan. 1868, m(1) Alice Eblem, 9 Sept. 1891, m(2) Lavina Stanley, 31 Aug. 1899, m(3) Edith Hoyle Johnson, 10 May 1928, d. 18 Feb. 1934.
87. Mark C. Smith, b. 18 Dec. 1870, m. Laura Alice Toland, 27 July 1892, d. 10 Aug. 1952.
+88. Walter R. Smith, b. 18 Aug. 1876, m. Ona Vivian Bracken, 12 Oct. 1898, d. 13 Sept. 1909.
CHILDREN OF JOSHUA GRAVES (6) AND ELIZABETH HENDERSON
Robert Clemens Graves (32) was born 15 May 1836 in Wheeling, Ohio Co., VA (now WV), and died 17 March 1917 in Kansas City, MO. He married Martha Jane Reed, daughter of Jane McCreary and John Lance Reed, on 4 March 1858. She was born 9 March 1838 in Noblestown, Allegheny Co., PA, and died 10 April 1927. All their children were born in Barnesville, Belmont Co., Ohio except for McClellan Graves, who was born in Wheeling, Ohio Co., VA. They were in the 1860 census for Malaga Twp., Monroe Co., OH. They were in the 1880 census for Barnesville, Belmont Co., OH.
The following is an obituary for Jane (McCreary) Reed, mother of Martha Jane Reed (newspaper and date unknown). "Mrs. Jane Reed, wife of John Reed, died June 14, 1877 at age 75. Mrs. Reed was born at Noblestown, Pa., July 15, 1802. In early life she was a member of the U.P. Church, but in 1841 she was baptized by Elder Eli Regal and became a member of the Disciples of Christ, remaining such until death. With her husband and family she removed from Pennsylvania to Barnesville, Ohio, in the year 1847, where she resided nearly ever since.
She was always charitable to the poor and friendless, a sympathetic friend and valuable help in sickness, a faithful wife, an affectionate mother, a true Christian.
Her last sickness was brief, lasting but 48 hours, when she peacefully breathed her last." (R‑1)
Children - Graves
89. Anna Graves, b. 5 Jan. 1859, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Henry.
90. Adelia Graves, b. 7 Nov. 1860, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Humphrey, 21 Oct. 1890, d. 17 June 1925 (San Antonio, TX). Grandparents of Mrs. William W. Howe.
91. McClellan Graves, b. 6 Sept. 1862, d.c. 1894.
92. Clara Graves, b. 15 Sept. 1864, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Reed, d.c. 1865. (She couldn't have married if she only lived a year.)
+93. Carleton Helier Graves, b. 5 March 1867, m(1) Isabella Crombarger, c. 1894, m(2) Marion L. (‑‑‑‑‑‑) Donaldson.
+94. Robert Clarence Graves, b. 2 April 1869, m. Mary G. ‑‑‑‑‑‑., c. 1889.
CHILDREN OF MARY E. GRAVES (16)
Lovina Judson Logan (38) was born 12 Dec. 1861 at Sally Logan homestead, Pulaski Co., MO, and died 17 Aug. 1923 in Fort Leonard Wood, Pulaski Co., MO. She married Andrew Jackson York on 23 Sept. 1877 in Republican Hollow, Pulaski Co., MO. He was born 6 Sept. 1853 in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO, and died in 1936. All their children were born in Dry Creek, Pulaski Co., MO, except for Margaret who was born in Decker, Pulaski Co., MO. (R‑6)
Children - York
95. John Luther York, b. 5 Nov. 1878.
96. William Wesley York, b. 12 Nov. 1880.
97. Henry Edward York, b. 6 May 1883.
+98. Mary Elizabeth York, b. 14 Feb. 1885, m. Henry Franklin Hively.
99. Sarah Louisa York, b. 23 Dec. 1886.
100. Harry Lee York, b. 30 Dec. 1887.
101. Champ Fred York, b. 30 May 1890.
102. Amanda Leola York, b. 25 Nov. 1892.
103. Claude Monroe York, b. 27 Feb. 1894.
104. Addie Belle York, b. 5 May 1896.
105. Harvey Jackson York, b. 11 July 1899.
106. Clarence Marion York, b. 12 Feb. 1901.
107. Nancy May York, b. 24 Feb. 1903.
108. Margaret Lavina York, b. 10 Dec. 1904.
109. Bessie Lelia York, b. 7 Feb. 1907.
Harry Bradford Gray (39) was born 13 April 1874 and died 30 Oct. 1938, both in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. He married Cora Catherine York, daughter of Jacob Henry York and Amanda Jane Atterberry, on 30 Jan. 1895 in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. She was born 25 Jan. 1877 in Cullen, Pulaski Co., MO, and died in 1973. All their children were born in Pulaski Co., MO. (R‑6)
Children - Gray
110. Claude Monroe Gray, b. 6 Dec. 1895, m(1) Eller Odessa Ludwig, 29 April 1923, m(2) Evelyn M. Watson, 29 April 1934, d. 2 March 1958 (Hooker, MO). Evelyn was b. 6 Oct. 1907, and d. 15 March 1988 in Dixon, Pulaski Co., MO.
111. Marie Florence Gray, b. Oct. 1897, m. Harry Adkins. He was b. 30 Jan. 1890, and d. April 1968 in Beulah, MO, son of Amariah Simpson Chastine Adkins and Sarah Ann Christeson.
112. Ola Almeda Gray, b. 29 Nov. 1899, m. Edwward Stewart.
113. Orla C. Gray, b. 5 Oct. 1903, m. Edna Woolsy, d. 5 Feb. 1989 (Pulaski Co., MO).
Champ Frederick (“Fred”) Gray (40) was born 7 Dec. 1877, and died 30 March 1953 in Waynesville, both in Pulaski Co., MO. He first married Minnie Jane Lane, daughter of Jeremiah Erwin Lane and Mary Abigail Page. She was born 15 Nov. 1879 in KS, and died 2 Jan. 1970 in St. Louis, MO. He married second Rosina (“Rose”) D. Hively, daughter of William J. Hively and Sarah Elizabeth Chappel, on 9 April 1897 in Pulaski Co., MO. She was born 26 June 1880 in KS, and died 24 Jan. 1912 in Waynesville, MO. He married third Sophia A. Church on 4 April 1929. She was born 4 Feb. 1901 and died 3 April 1989. All his children were born in Pulaski Co., MO, all but possibly the last one in Cullen. (R‑6)
Children - Gray, by Minnie J. Lane
+114. Harry Delbert Gray, b. 2 Sept. 1903, m. Verbia Easter Loughrige, 9 May 1925, d. 16 April 1971.
115. Walter Clayton Gray, b.c. 1906.
+116. Robert P. Gray, b. 4 Oct. 1906, m. Lucy Myrtle Hough, 7 March 1927, d. 9 Jan. 1942.
Children - Gray, by Rosina D. Hively
117. Levina Almeda Gray, b. Dec. 1899.
+118. Nellie Belle Gray, b. April 1900, m. Clyde Collier, d. Sept. 1982.
119. Annabelle Gray, b. 23 Nov. 1901, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Terry, d. 10 Feb. 1975 (Jefferson City, MO).
Catherine Leola Gray (41) was born 14 May 1879 in Tribune, and died 30 Oct. 1957 in Waynesville, both in Pulaski Co., MO. She married John Delbert Hively, son of William J. Hively and Sarah Elizabeth Chappel, on 7 April 1894. He was born 22 Dec. 1875 in Hammond, Elkhart Co., IN, and died 26 Jan. 1956 in Waynesville, Pulaski Co., MO. All their children were born in Wildwood, Pulaski Co., MO, except for Everald who was born in AR. (R‑6)
Children - Hively
120. Albert Lee Hively, b. 28 March 1896, m. Ann Babbs, d. 23 Nov. 1977 (Salem, MO).
121. Luther Delbert Hively, b. 24 Nov. 1897, d. Oct. 1898 (Wildwood, Pulaski Co., MO).
+122. Cora Alice Hively, b. 16 July 1900, m. Harold Wickman, 15 July 1918, d. 22 Aug. 1986.
+123. Mary Elizabeth Hively, b. 11 Oct. 1902, m(1) Frank Horace McDaniel, m(2) Roy F. Sharp, m(3) Charles Thomas, d. 14 Nov. 1987.
124. William Spencer Hively, b. 7 Dec. 1904, m. Susie Layton Lotherage, d. 23 June 1996 (Pulaski Co., MO). She was b. 23 June 1902, and d. 10 Oct. 1998 in Pulaski Co., MO.
125. Rosa Fern Hively, b. 18 Sept. 1907, m. Robert Spaulding, d. 22 March 1995 (Pulaski Co., MO). He was b. 29 Aug. 1908, and d. 2 Nov. 1997 in Pulaski Co., MO. 1 child.
126. Everald Boyd Hively, b. 17 May 1914, d. 16 July 1915 (AR).
127. Violet May Hively, b. 28 Jan. 1917, m. Joseph Michael Page, d. 17 June 1991 (Pulaski Co., MO). He was b. 5 July 1911, and d. 16 May 1989 in Pulaski Co., MO. 1 child.
CHILDREN OF CHAMP C. GRAVES (17) AND SARAH TAYLOR
William (“Will”) W. Graves (43) was born 17 Sept. 1866 in KY. He first married Cynthia Rosanna Bittick, called Rosanna, about 1887. She was born in Jan. 1868 in MO. They were in the 1910 and 1920 censuses for Morgan Twp., Lawrence Co., AR. He was a farmer in 1900, and a ratchet-setter in a sawmill in 1910.
He married second Malinda Davis. She was born about 1894 in AR. They were in the 1920 census for Logan Twp., Independence Co., AR, when he was manager of a saw mill. She had apparently been married first to a Mr. Cook, since there was a step-son in the household in 1920, Richard Cook, 8, born in OK. All of William’s children were born in AR. (R‑9)
Children - Graves, by C. Rosanna Bittrick
+128. Neppie Graves, b. Oct. 1891, m. Irdie C. Wilson, c. 1907.
129. Leo Allie Graves, b. 1 Jan. 1897.
Children - Graves, by Malinda Davis
130. Raymond Graves, b.c. 1914 (AR), d. 1951.
131. Connor Graves, b. 21 Oct. 1917, d. 10 March 1993.
132. Horris Hollie Graves, b. 29 Jan. 1920, d. 8 Aug. 1974.
Christopher Alexander Graves (48) was born 30 Dec. 1880 in Waynesville, MO. He married Bella (“Belle”) Zora Whitlow about 1903. She was born about 1878 in AR. She had a previous marriage, and 2 children by her first marriage were living with them in 1910. They were in the 1910 census for Livingston Co., KY, and the 1920 census for Wycough Twp., Independence Co., AR. They have not been found in the 1930 census. He was a farmer. Their first 2 children were born in AR, the next 3 in KY, and the last in AR.
Children - Graves
133. Myrtle D. Graves, b.c. 1905.
134. Lance Graves, b.c. 1907.
135. Boyd G. Graves, b. 1910.
136. Golden J. Graves (son), b.c. 1913.
137. Loyd C. Graves, b.c. 1915.
138. Dove F. Graves, b.c. 1918.
Champ Connor Graves (50) was born 2 Nov. 1886 in Howell Co., MO, and died 14 Dec. 1958 in Dearborn, Wayne Co., MI. He married Nina Cash, daughter of John Lawson Cash and Cecelia Riley, on 14 June 1911 in Paducah, McCracken Co., KY. She was born 23 Feb. 1891 in Eddyville, KY, and died 20 Aug. 1948 in Paducah, KY. Their first 4 children were born in Livingston Co., KY, and the fifth in Memphis, Shelby Co., TN. (R‑5)
Children - Graves
+139. Cordelia Ruth Graves, b. 11 April 1912, m. Herbert Leslie Bunting, d. 7 Oct. 1992.
+140. Ava Nell Graves, b. 31 Jan. 1914, m. Joseph Rayburn Duffey, 23 Oct. 1931, d. 27 Nov. 2000.
+141. Sallie Lucille Graves, b. 13 July 1915, m. William Blashill, d. 23 Nov. 2001.
+142. John Connor Graves, b. 15 April 1917, m. Louella Ainsworth.
+143. Helen Juanita Graves, b. 25 Jan. 1930, m(1) Henry W. Yates, 23 April 1950, m(2) Eugene Leslie Hoffmeyer, 7 June 1952, d. 2 March 2000.
CHILDREN OF VIRGINIA A. GRAVES (18) AND GEORGE W. MARSHALL
Mary Elizabeth Marshall (51) was born 31 Jan. 1866 in Livingston Co., KY, Smithland P.O., died 28 March 1952 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., UT, and was buried 31 March 1952 in Logan, Cache Co., UT. She married Henry Blaine Saltzgiver, son of Orlando Pool Saltzgiver and Charity Hendon, 15 July 1891 in Charleston, Mississippi Co., MO. He was born 9 Nov. 1868 in Model, Stewart Co., TN, died 11 Sept. 1943 in Logan, Cache Co., UT, and was buried 14 Sept. 1943 in Logan, UT. They were in the 1910 census for Paducah, McCracken Co., KY, with children Mabel, 16, Ray, 11, and Grace, 5. (R‑7)
Children - Saltzgiver
144. Roma Orlando Saltzgiver, b. 5 May 1892 (Charleston, Mississippi Co.,MO),, m(1) Ruby Reynolds, 3 Feb. 1910, m(2) Alverda May Kearl, 18 Aug. 1917, m(3) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 23 Nov. 1949.
+145. Lora Mabel Saltzgiver, b. 31 March 1894, m. James Alvin Decker, 14 June 1912, d. 29 June 1976.
146. Van Saltzgiver, b. 21 Dec. 1895 (Palma, Marshall Co., KY), d. 9 April 1903.
147. Ray Boyd Saltzgiver, b.c. 1899, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2)‑‑‑‑‑‑.
148. Grace Lucille Saltzgiver, b.c. 1905, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
Nancy Lorraine Marshall (53) was born 15 March 1870 in Livingston Co., KY, and died 9 Jan. 1910 in KY. She married Grundy McCoy, son of Firney F. McCoy and Amanda S. McDermott, in 1887. He was born 18 May 1868 in Marshall Co., KY, and died 28 Nov. 1954 in Paducah, McCracken Co., KY. All their children were born in KY.
Children - McCoy
149. Florence N. McCoy, b. June 1889.
150. George Fearney McCoy, b. 27 July 1893, d. 27 June 1947 (Marshall Co., KY).
151. Tilman Todd McCoy, b. Oct. 1898.
+152. Robert McCoy, b. 9 Feb. 1908, m. Violet Carolyn Koehler, 31 Aug. 1940, d. 9 Nov. 1966.
George Gracey Marshall (57) was born 15 July 1878 in Smithland Twp., Livingston Co., KY, and died 11 June 1951. She married Joseph Marshall Thomas, son of Ephraim Thomas and Mary Ellen Beloat, on 24 Dec. 1894. He was born 19 Jan. 1866 in IN, and died 17 Jan. 1906 in Charleston, Mississippi Co., MO. They were in the 1900 census for Tywappity Twp., Charleston, Mississippi Co., MO, when he was a steam engineer. He had apparently been married before, since he had two children by that marriage living with him in 1900. All their children were born in Charleston, MO.
Children - Thomas
153. Ivy (or Iva) Thomas, b. Nov. 1895, m. John W. Hardigan.
+154. Myrtle Ester Thomas, b. July 1899, m. Girard Fredrick Bouchet, d. 1939.
155. Marshall Joseph Thomas, b. 4 April 1901, m. Agnes Bergman, d. 1 July 1958 (Mound, Pulaski Co., IL). She was b. 18 Dec. 1911 in Paducah, McCracken Co., KY, and d. 9 Feb. 1992 in Metropolis, Massac Co., IL.
156. Charles Prentiss Thomas, b. 9 April 1903, m. Zebeline Montiville Darley, 8 Aug. 1925, d. 19 May 1987 (Cape Girardeau, MO). She was b. 16 Nov. 1905 in Cairo, Alexander Co., IL, and d. 3 July 1998 in Paducah, McCracken Co., KY, dau. of Charles Emmit Darley and Lillie Pearl Morrow. 1 son.
157. Mary Belle Thomas, b. 29 Oct. 1904, m. Norman Taft, d. 26 March 1939 (Cairo, Alexander Co., IL).
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM LANCE GRAVES (19)
David Henry Graves (58) was born 31 Dec. 1872 in MO, and died 6 March 1948 in Perryville, MO. He married Mary Elizabeth (“Lizzie”) Labargar (or Laberger or Labarge or Laberge) on 26 March 1893 in Pulaski Co., MO. She was born 20 April 1874 in MO. Although R‑4 said David died in 1948, the 1900 census for Burdine Twp., Texas Co., MO, listed Mary as a widow. Perhaps they had divorced and whe preferred to be thought of as a widow rather than as a divorced woman. Her 2 youngest children were in the 1910 census for Piney Twp., Pulaski Co., MO, listed as cousin, and living with the family of Edward and Malissa Bailey. All their children were born in MO.
Children - Graves
158. Evaline Omah (or Omah Evaline) Graves, b. 8 Jan 1894.
159. Oliver L. Graves, b. Aug. 1896.
160. Olie Elva Graves, b. Aug. 1899.
Martha Levine (or Louvina) Graves (60) was born 24 Sept. 1879 in Tribune, died 14 Nov. 1903 in Tribune of typhoid fever, and was buried in Rockwell Cem. inside Fort Leonard Wood, all in Pulaski Co., MO. She married William Jackson Atterberry on 7 April 1895 in Pulaski Co., MO. He was born 19 Nov. 1877 in MO, and died 3 Sept. 1940. After Martha died, he married Mary E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1910. She was born about 1892 in MO. They were in the 1910 census for Cullen Twp., Pulaski Co., MO, with his widowed mother living with them. All their children were born in MO. (R‑4, R‑8)
Children - Atterberry
161. William Francis Atterberry, b. 6 May 1897.
162. James Wesley Atterberry, b. 9 Feb. 1899.
163. Inez (or Ina) Virginia Atterberry, b. 20 Nov. 1900.
+164. Nancy Evelyne Atterberry, b. 29 July 1902, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Burton, d. 3 April 1993.
Joseph Lillburn Graves (63) was born 10 March 1888, died 3 June 1947, and was buried in Fairville Cem., all in Pulaski Co., MO. He married Maggie Lillian Crossland on 9 Dec. 1909 (Book 1, p. 373, Pulaski Co., MO). She was born about 1891 in MO. They were in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses for Piney Twp., Pulaski Co., MO. He was a farmer, and was listed as a blacksmith in 1920. All their children were born in MO. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
+165. Minnie Pearl (or Pearl Minnie) Graves, b. 17 Oct. 1910, m(1) Granville Crossland, m(2) Kenneth Logsdon.
+166. Lewis (or Louis) H. Graves, b. 4 March 1912, m. Fredia Dye, 21 May 1934, d. 22 July 1994.
+167. Ethel E. Graves, b. 9 Oct. 1913, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bowman, m(2) Homer Hancock, d. 23 Sept. 1975.
+168. William Arthur Graves, b. 4 Nov. 1918, m. Francis ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 13 Aug. 1976.
169. Ruth Myrle Graves, b. 23 Feb. 1919 (Bloodland, MO), m. Joseph Garrard, d. 22 Feb. 1918 (Buckhorn, MO). He was b. 22 May 1921 and d. 23 March 1966. Both bur. Fairview Cem.
+170. Lloyd Leland Graves, b. 1 Jan. 1925, m. Edna Arrena Williams, 14 Dec. 1949, d. 6 Sept. 1994.
171. Floyd Graves, b. 1 Jan. 1925 (Big Piney, MO).
172. Sylvia E. Graves, b.c. 1927.
+173. Wanda C. Graves
+174. Harry Edward Graves
Everett Odney Graves (65) was born 18 June 1894, died 17 Oct. 1982, and was buried in Waynesville Memorial Cem. on Business Hwy. 66, all in Pulaski Co., MO. He married Clella Allaina Williams on 16 July 1919 in Pulaski Co., MO (Bk. 3, p. 16). She was born about 1901 in MO. They were in the 1930 census for Roubidoux Twp., Pulaski Co., MO. He was a farm laborer in 1930. All their children were born in MO.
Children - Graves
175. Irene O. Graves, b.c. 1921.
176. Lucy L. Graves, b.c. 1922.
177. Ernest L. Graves, b.c. 1928.
Marvin Clayton Graves (68) was born 18 Sept. 1908 in Tribune, Pulaski Co., MO. He married Gladys May Silby on 2 Nov. 1931. She was born 25 June 1912 in Richland, MO. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
178. Billy Clayton Graves
179. Katheryn Genita Graves
CHILDREN OF SAMUEL R. SMITH (25) AND CATHERINE S. KIRK
Walter R. Smith (88) was born 18 Aug. 1876, died 13 Sept. 1909, and was buried 14 Sept. 1909, all in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. He married Ona Vivian Bracken, daughter of John Fletcher Bracken and Margaret Mary (“Maggie”) Smith, on 12 Oct. 1898 in Freeport, Harrison Co., OH. She was born 11 Sept. 1880 in Freeport, OH, died 30 Aug. 1942 in Lawrence Twp., Stark Co., OH, and was buried 2 Sept. 1942 in Canal Fulton, Stark Co., OH. Their first child was born in Salem, Mahoning Co., OH, and the others in Londonderry Twp., Guernsey Co., OH. (R‑2)
Children - Smith
180. Raymond Bracken Smith, b. 23 April 1901, m. Bertha Victoria Rowland, 26 Nov. 1919 (Freeport, OH), d. 2 Feb. 1978 (Freeport, OH). Bur. Greenmont Cem., Freeport, OH.
181. Vesta Margaret Smith, b. 24 Aug. 1902, m. Melvin Michael Rohr, 14 April 1921 (Massillon, Stark Co., OH).
+182. Lura Theresa Smith, b. 2 Aug. 1904, m. Edward Jacob Rohr, 23 Nov. 1921, d. 20 Aug. 1972.
183. George Zellars Smith, b. 27 Jan. 1906, m. Irene Catherine Lindenberger, 17 Feb. 1927 (Massillon, Stark Co., OH), d. 14 July 1965 (Massillon, OH). Bur. Massillon, OH.
CHILDREN OF ROBERT C. GRAVES (32) AND MARTHA J. REED
Carleton Helier Graves (93) was born 5 March 1867 in OH, and died after 1930. He first married Isabella (or Isabelle) Crombarger about 1894. She was born in Feb. 1874 in PA. After she died, he married Marion L. (‑‑‑‑‑‑) Donaldson. She was born about 1895 in NJ. He was in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Philadelphia, PA, with wife Isabelle. With them in 1910 was his father-in-law Perry Crombarger, 63, widower. He was in the 1930 census for Philadelphia, PA, with wife Marion and step-son Robert Donaldson, 9, born in PA. He was a photographer in 1900 and 1910, and a medical journal publisher in 1930.
Children - Graves, by Isabella Crombarger
184. Martha R. Graves, b. April 1900 (PA).
185. Isabelle Graves, b.c. 1905 (PA).
Robert Clarence Graves (94) was born 2 April 1869 in OH. He married Mary G. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1889. She was born in March 1871 in WV. They were in the 1900 census for Ward 14, Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO, with him listed as Clarence and being a clerk in a store. They were in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses for Ward 10, Kansas City, MO. His widowed father was living with them in 1910. He was proprietor of a sheet metal works in 1920 and hardware manager of a radiator company in 1930. Their first 2 children were born in OH and the others in MO.
Children - Graves
+186. Howard D. Graves, b. June 1890, m. Bertha C. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1913.
187. Edna Graves, b. Oct. 1892.
+188. Henry Graves, b. June 1896, m. Esther ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1917.
189. Robert C. Graves, Jr., b.c. 1901.
190. Virginia Graves, b.c. 1902.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 R‑4 gave her death year as 1928 and R‑6 gave it as 1925.
 R‑4 gave the marriage year as 1859 and R‑6 gave it as 1858.
 Virginia’s date of birth is from the 1850 census. R‑5 gives it as about 1844, which agrees with the 1870 census. Her stated age of 31 in the 1880 census gives a birthdate of about 1849.
 The 1870 census listed him as age 40, but R‑5 said he was born about 1840.
 R‑4 gives her parents as Richard C. York and Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, and R‑8 gives them as Andrew York and Nellie Evans.