Rev. 2 Dec. 2011, Gen. 128
DESCENDANTS OF LEWIS T. GRAVES AND ROSA A. TAYLOR OF GLOUCESTER CO., VA
Lewis T. Graves (1) was born about 1826 in VA, and probably died before the 1860 census. He married Rosa A. (or Rosanna) Taylor, daughter of William Taylor and Catherine ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 31 Dec. 1849 in Middlesex Co., VA (from Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850). He (age 24, carpenter) and Rosa (age 21) were in the 1850 census for Gloucester Co., VA, household 139, with no children. In the 1850 census for Gloucester Co., VA, Rosa’s parents were living next to John Graves, 27 (b.c. 1823 in King & Queen Co., VA), household 16. It seems likely that John Graves was a brother of Lewis Graves. John Graves was also in the 1860 and 1870 censuses for Gloucester Co., VA, always living by himself and apparently unmarried. He could not be found in the 1880 census. John’s occupation was wheelwright.
The 1860 census for Gloucester Co., VA, shows Rosanna Graves, 32, and Emily A. Graves, 6, living in the household of Robert C. Walker, 35, and Catherine Walker, 29. William Taylor had apparently died and his wife Catherine had remarried. Possibly Lewis had also died, since he wasn’t in the household and couldn’t be found anywhere in VA.
In the 1840 census for Gloucester Co., VA were Frances Graves, Ralph Graves (incorrectly transcribed by Ancestry.com as Joseph), and William Graves (probably the William of genealogy 889). Living near Frances were Summerfield and Mason families, perhaps associated with daughter Emily’s husband’s family. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
+2. Emily A. Graves, b.c. 1855, m. Milton Summerfield Mason, 13 Feb. 1873.
CHILDREN OF LEWIS T. GRAVES (1) AND ROSA A. TAYLOR
Emily (“Emma”) A. Graves (2) was born about 1855 in VA, and died in 1891 in VA. She married Milton Summerfield Mason, son of Philip Fisher Mason and Rosa Amanda Bland, on 13 Feb. 1873, officiated by Rev. James C. Matin, Methodist minister. He was born 7 May 1847 in King and Queen Co., VA, and died 12 April 1916 in Portsmouth, VA. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children – Mason
3. Lucy Ann Mason, b.c. 1879 (Gloucester Co., VA), m. James Richard Kemp, 1 June 1899. He was b.c. 1839 in King and Queen Co., VA, son of Robert Day Kemp and Lucy Ann Corr. Nothing to verify this has been found in census records for 1900 and later.
4. Ida Lee Mason, b.c. 1883.
5. Blanche Alton Mason, b.c. 1885.
+6. Cecelia Mason, b. 15 June 1887, m. Jack Noll, d. 13 March 1956.
7. Mamie Lessie Mason, b.c. 1889.
8. Daisy Stella Mason, b.c. 1891.
CHILDREN OF EMMA A. GRAVES (2) AND MILTON S. MASON
Cecelia Mason (6) was born 15 June 1887 in Gloucester Co., VA, and died 13 March 1956 in Seattle, King Co., WA. She married Jack Noll. He was born about 1885 and died 1918, probably in VA. (R‑2)
Children – Noll
9. Milton Summerfield Noll, b. 14 July 1904 (Portsmouth, VA), m. Mary Josephine Johnson, d. 9 Jan. 1979 (Seattle, King Co., WA). She was b. 18 April 1914 in Audobon Co., IA, and d. 1 Dec. 2010 in Tacoma, Pierce Co., WA, dau. of Charles L. Johnson and Jessie Eliza Mushrush. 1 dau. and 1 son.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page