Revised 10 April 1983, Gen. 138
DESCENDANTS OF MARTHA GRAVES AND ISAAC COX OF NEW JERSEY
Martha Graves (1) lived in New Jersey in the 1680's. She married Isaac Cox. She apparently secondly married Mr. Bentley (?). (R-1)
Children - Cox
+2. Elizabeth Cox, m. David Sutton, c. 1720.
CHILDREN OF MARTHA GRAVES (1) AND ISAAC COX
Elizabeth Cox (2) married Rev. David Sutton about 1720. He was born 31 July 1703 and died Dec. 1775. All their children were born in Morris Co., N.J. (R-1)
Children - Sutton
+3. Elizabeth Sutton, b. 10 Oct. 1724, m. Jacob Cosart, Jr., 1742-3, d. 21 Jan. 1812.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH COX (2) AND DAVID SUTTON
Elizabeth Sutton (3) was born 10 Oct. 1724 in Baskinridge, Somerset Co., N.J., and died in 1758 in Mt. Olive, Morris Co., N.J. She married Rev. Jacob Cosart (or Cosad), Jr., son of Rev. Jacob Cosart and Annah Cox, in 1742-3. He was born in 1724 in Bound Brook, Somerset Co., N.J., died 21 Jan. 1812 in Mt. Olive, and was buried in Mt. Olive Baptist Church Cem. between his two wives. He was a Baptist minister. After Elizabeth died, he secondly married Elizabeth Tingley. All their children were born in Morris Co., N.J. (R-1)
Children - Cosad
4. Martha Cosad, b. 28 Dec. 1744, m. Robert Colver, Jr., Morris Co., N.J., d. 10 May 1823. He was b. 2 Sept. 1743.
5. Elizabeth Cosad, b. 174-, m. John Stark.
6. William Cosad, b. 1749.
7. Rachel Cosad, b. 1751, m. Samuel Butler.
8. Hannah Cosad, b. 1753, m(1) John Collins, Jr., c. 1771 (now Monongalia Co., W.Va.), m(2) James Leggett, d. Warren Co., Ohio.
+9. Jacob Sutton Cosad, b. 10 Feb. 1755, m. Mercy Woodward, 1772, d. Aug. 1827.
10. Mary Marah Cosad, b. 7 May 1756, m(1) John Coon, m(2) Benjamin Cutler, 1775 (N.J.), d. 14 Jan. 1811 (Fairfield, Ohio).
11. Abigail Cosad, b. 1758, m. Samuel Barber, 1777 (Morris Co., N.J.), d. 1804. Bur. Old Baptist Burying Ground, Vittoria, Ontario, Canada. They moved to Norfolk Co., Canada in 1800. Samuel died in 1800 of foul play in Easton, Pa. on his way back to Canada where his family was waiting.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH SUTTON (3) AND JACOB COSAD, JR.
Jacob Sutton Cosad (or Cozad) (9) was born 10 Feb. 1755 in Mt. Olive, Morris Co., N.J., died in Aug. 1827, and was buried 22 Aug. 1827 in Cosad Cem., Fairfield (now Fairborn), Greene Co., Ohio. He was a Baptist minister, served in the War of 1812, and lived in N.J., W.Va., and Ohio.
He married Mercy Woodward, daughter of William Woodward and Hetty Buckner, about 1772 in Monongalia Co., W.Va. (was Va. then). She was born 1 Feb. 1756 in N.J. (?), died 18 May 1835 in Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio, and was buried in Cosad Cem., Fairfield.
Their first 7 children were born in Monongalia Co., W.Va. (the last 2 in Morgan's Run), the next 2 in Hacker's Creek (near Berlin), Harrison Co., W.Va., and the last in W.Va. or Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Cozad
12. Rev.) Jacob Cozad, b. 1773, m. Sarah Taylor, 25 Dec. 1808 (Harrison Co., W.Va.), d. 5 July 1862 (Hacker's Creek, W.Va.).
13. Rev.) John Cozad, b. 25 Oct. 1776, m. Sarah Powers, c. 1800 (Harrison Co., W.Va.), d. 17 Feb. 1842 (Cuba, Fulton Co., Ill.).
14. Elizabeth Cozad, b. 1779, m. John Jackson, Jr., 1 July 1797 (Harrison Co., W.Va.), d. 1845 (Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio). Bur. Cosad Cem.
15. William Sutton Cozad, b. 26 Feb. 1781, m. Maria Bailey, 5 Jan. 1807 (Harrison Co., W.Va.), d. 25 Oct. 1853 (Fairfield, Ohio).
16. David Cozad, b.c. 1783-4.
17. Samuel C. Cozad, b. 7 Oct. 1785, m. Mary Mercer, 25 Jan. 1806 (Fairfield, Ohio), d. 1842 (Lewistown, Fulton Co., Ill.).
18. Benjamin ("Benny") Cozad, b. 1786, d. 26 July 1792 (Hacker's Creek, Harrison Co., W.Va.). Scalped by Indians at age 6.
19. Benjamin C. Cozad, b. 5 May 1793, m. Martha Shaw, 25 July 1810 (Butler Co., Ohio), d. 27 Aug. 1849 (Ellisville, Fulton Co., Ill.).
+20. Mary Cozad, b. 1 Feb. 1795, m. Moses Hall, Sr., 18 June 1817, d. 8 July 1866.
21. Mercy Cozad, b. 11 July 1800, m. Samuel Williamson, 22 July 1817 (Fairfield, Ohio), d. April 1891 (Piqua, Ohio).
CHILDREN OF JACOB S. COZAD (9) AND MARY WOODWARD
Mary ("Polly") Cozad (20) was born 1 Feb. 1795 at Hacker's Creek (near Berlin), Harrison Co. (now Lewis Co.), W.Va. (then Va.), died 8 July 1866 in Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio, and was buried in the Cosad Graveyard in Fairfield (now Fairborn). She married Moses Hall, Sr. on 18 June 1817 in Fairfield, Ohio. He was born 1796 in Va., died 4 Jan. 1880 in Fairfield, and was also buried in the Cosad Graveyard. He was a farmer and sserved in the War of 1812. All their children were born in Fairfield, Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Hall
22. Moses Hall, Jr., m. Mary C. Cozad (dau. of William Cozad and Maria Bailey), St. Mary, Ohio, d. 16 Feb. 1891.
23. William Hall, d. 22 Oct. 1818 (Fairfield, Ohio). Bur. Cosad Graveyard, Fairborn, Ohio.
+24. George Washington Hall, b. 1818, m. Rebecca Jackson, d. 1848.
25. Mercy Hall, b. 2 Dec. 1821, m. Woodward Cozad (son of William Cozad and Maria Bailey), 13 March 1836 (Fairfield, Ohio), d. 11 Nov. 1863 (Washington Twp., Auglaize Co., Ohio). Bur. Olive Branch Cem., Auglaize Co., Ohio.
26. Rachel Hall, b. 8 Dec. 1826, m. John Riley Haddix (son of John Haddix and Sarah Cox), Fairfield, Ohio, d. 8 July 1849 (Fairfield, Ohio). Bur. Cosad Graveyard, Fairborn, Ohio.
27. Charlotte Hall, b. 23 Aug. 1834, m. James Brannum (or Brammen), d. 10 March 1861 (Fairfield, Ohio). Bur. Cosad Graveyard, Fairborn, Ohio.
CHILDREN OF MARY COZAD (20) AND MOSES HALL, SR.
George Washington Hall (24) was born 1814 (or 1818) in Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio, died 1848 in Greene Co., Ohio, and was buried in Fairfield Cem. He was a farmer. He married Rebecca Jackson, daughter of John Jackson, Jr. and Elizabeth Cozad, in Fairfield, Ohio. She was born 1818 in Virginia (later W.Va.), died 1876 in Fairfield, Ohio, and was buried in Fairfield Cem. She secondly married John Brannum. (R-1)
Children - Hall
28. Moses Hall, b. 1841.
29. Mary Elizabeth Hall, b. 1844, m. Bill Roberts, d. 1926.
30. Virginia Hall, b. 1845.
+31. Charlotte Hall, b. 24 Sept. 1847, m. Wiley Hayes, 1865, d. 25 March 1926.
CHILDREN OF GEORGE W. HALL (24) AND REBECCA JACKSON
Charlotte Hall (31) was born 24 Sept. 1847 in Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio, died 25 March 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, and was buried 27 March 1926 in Ferncliff Cem. She married Wiley Hayes in 1865 in Ky. He was born 1839 in Clinch Mountain Valley, Grainger Co., Tenn., and died 17 April 1921 in Dayton, Ohio. He was a horse trader, and served in the Civil War. (R-1)
Children - Hayes
32. Mary Alice Virginia Hayes, b. 1865, m. Chalmer Cassius Clay Folck, 1886, d. 1945.
33. Carrie Hayes, m. Levy Middlestetter.
+34. Lourena Hayes, b. 19 Oct. 1873, m. Elmont Gunckel, 20 Sept. 1893, d. 20 May 1941.
35. Josie Hayes
36. Willie Hayes, b. 1885, m. Dorothy Roush.
CHILDREN OF CHARLOTTE HALL (31) AND WILEY HAYES
Lourena Hayes (34) was born 19 Oct. 1873 in Dayton, Ohio, died 20 May 1941 in Springfield, Ohio, and was buried 22 May 1841 in Ferncliff Cem., Ohio. She first married Elmont Gunckel, son of Michael Gunckel and Angelina Spring, on 20 Sept. 1893 in Springfield, Ohio. He was born 22 April 1860 in Germantown, Ohio, died 12 April 1931 in Springfield, Ohio, and was buried 15 April 1931 in Ferncliff Cem. He was a cigar maker. Lourena secondly married George LeFevre. (R-1)
Children - Gunckel
+37. Charlotte Elizabeth Gunckel, b. 5 May 1895, m. Joseph Arthur Alexander, 23 Dec. 1922, d. 11 Nov. 1967.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page