Rev. 21 Feb. 2008, Gen. 177
DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS (OR JAMES) GRAVES OF CULPEPER CO., VA
Thomas (or James) Graves (1) was probably born about 1800-1805 in VA, and died before 1850 (in 1840 according to R‑6). (His name was given as Thomas by R‑3 and as James by R‑6, but the sources are not known.) He may have married Lucinda Stringfellow. She was born about 1807 and died in 1869. They are said to have lived in Culpeper Co., VA.
The 1850 census for Wildcat, Clarke Co., GA, page 65 (indexed as Graver), dwelling 8, listed Lucinda Pendegrass, 43, Joseph W. Graves, 17, James S. Graves, 15, John T. Graves, 14, and Sarah C. Graves, 11, all born in VA. Lucinda was probably the mother of the Graves children, remarried, and then her second husband died. (R‑1, R‑3, R‑6)
Children - Graves
+2. Joseph William Graves, b.c. 1832, m. Elvira Josephine Downs.
+3. James S. Graves, b.c. 1834, m. Martha Fielding.
+4. John Thomas Graves, b. 4 March 1835, m. Julia Arrena Dockery, 16 Nov. 1865, d. 26 Dec. 1923.
5. Sarah C. Graves, b.c. 1839.
CHILDREN OF THOMAS GRAVES (1)
Joseph William Graves (2), possibly called Bill, was born about 1832 in VA. He married Elvira (or Eleanor) Josephine Downs, daughter of Richard Downs and Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1840 in GA. They were in the 1860 census for Scull Shoal Dist., Clarke Co., GA, page 978, with her listed as Elvira J., and 2 children, plus Lucinda Pendigrass, 53, VA, and Sarah V. (or C.?) Graves, 21, GA. They were in the 1870 census for Dist. 222, Clarke Co., GA, Watkinsville P.O., page 411, with her listed as Josephine, and 4 children. They were in the 1880 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, ED 89, page 178A, with 4 children. All their children were born in GA.
Children - Graves
6. Sarah T. Graves, b.c. 1856.
7. James Graves, b.c. 1859.
+8. William B. Graves, b. Feb. 1862, m. Susan Fielding, c. 1882.
9. Mary S. Graves, b.c. 1868.
10. John R. Graves, b. July 1871.
+11. Joseph Walter Graves, b.c. 1875, m. Mary Jane Saxon, d. 1961.
James S. (“Jim”) Graves (3) was born about 1834 in VA. He married Martha (“Mattie”) Fielding, daughter of Samuel Fielding and Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1845 (or in May 1852) in GA. Martha was in the household of her parents in the 1860 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA. Jim was in the 1860 census for Farmington Dist., Clarke Co., GA, as a farm laborer, in the household of William H. Marshall. They were in the 1870 census for Dist. 222, Clarke Co., GA, page 411, living next door to his brother Joseph. They were in the 1880 census for Farmington, Oconee Co., GA, ED 88, page 164A, with 4 children, all born in GA. He was a boot and shoe maker in 1870, and a farmer in 1880. They were in the 1900 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, and Katie Knott, a cousin was living with them. They were in the 1910 census for Salem, GA, with no children at home, living next to their daughter Essie Carson. All their children were born in GA. (R‑5)
Children - Graves
+12. Samuel F. Graves, b.c. 1869, m. Daisy ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+13. Essie Graves, b.c. 1872, m. John P. Carson, c. 1905.
14. Ella Graves, b. Dec. 1876.
15. James Graves, b.c. 1879.
+16. James Burton Graves, b. March 1879 (or 1880), m. Lou Goldman.
17. Henry Graves, b. Sept. 1881.
+18. Rufus W. Graves, b. March 1884, m. Tulah F. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
19. Elmer Graves, b. July 1887.
John Thomas Graves (4) was born 4 March 1835 (or 1834) in Culpeper Co., VA, died 26 or 27 Dec. 1923 in Houston, Harris Co., TX, and was buried in Berea Cem., Berea Community, Jefferson, Marion Co., TX. He ran away from home when 14 years of age, and went to GA, according to a family story. He later moved to TX, and enlisted in the Confederate Army in TX as a member of Gen. Green's Brigade. He married Julia Arrena Dockery from AL, daughter of Leroy Rankin Dockery and Julia Arrena Howard, on 16 Nov. 1865 in Brenham, Washington Co., TX. She was born 27 Oct. 1845 in AL, died 4 Oct. 1917 in Berea, Marion Co., TX, and was buried 5 Oct. 1917 in Berea, TX.
John and Julia are listed in the 1880 census for Milam Co., TX with their first 6 children. John was a farmer. They are on the 1900 census for Milam Co., TX with 2 of their children and 2 granddaughters and a son-in-law, and next door to the McLaughlins. They are on the 1910 Concho Co., TX census with a nephew and next door to Ola and James (their sons) and families. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
+20. William Thomas Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1866, m(1) Eddie Williams, 28 Nov. 1887, m(2) Annie Adonis Power, 25 Nov. 1900, m(3) Jimmie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1936, d. 15 June 1958.
+21. Annie Virginia Graves, b. 4 April 1869, m. James C. Blackburn, 23 June 1886, d. 4 April 1894.
+22. Robert Lee Graves, b. Sept. 1871, m. Minnie M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1895, d. after 1910.
+23. Mary Alice Graves, b. 29 Jan. 1873, m. Harvey Otis McLaughlin, 1 July 1891, d. 14 Feb. 1937.
+24. James Carroll Graves, b. 5 Aug. 1875, m. Hallie Ollie Woodard, 9 Oct. 1893, d. 12 Feb. 1950.
25. Charles Lindsay Graves, b. June 1879 (TX), d.c. 1950.
+26. Lula Graves, b. 5 Sept. 1881, m. James Porter Dunn, 20 July 1899, d. 25 Jan. 1963.
+27. Ruby Hortense Graves, b. Sept. 1884, m. John Clinton Burke, c. 1898, d.c. 1912.
+28. Ola Ander Graves, b. 2 Aug. 1886, m. Ada Estelle Williams, 1905, d. 17 Nov. 1969.
CHILDREN OF JOSEPH W. GRAVES (2) AND ELEANOR J. DOWNS
William B. Graves (8) was born in Feb. 1862 in GA. He married Susan Fielding, daughter of Samuel Fielding (b.c. 1794 in CT) and Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑ (born about 1814 in NC), about 1882. She was born in Feb. 1855 in GA. Samuel Fielding and his family were in the 1860 census for Salem District, Clarke Co., GA. He was a tailor.
William and Susan were in the 1900 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, and Charlotte Field, his sister-in-law, was living with them. He was a fireman. In 1900 they had 8 children, 7 still living. All their children were born in GA.
Children - Graves
29. Ethel Graves, b. Sept. 1885.
30. James W. Graves, b. Sept. 1889.
31. Grady F. Graves, b. May 1891.
32. Amy L. Graves, b. Dec. 1892.
33. Lee J. Graves, b. May 1894.
Joseph Walter Graves (11) was born in Nov. 1874 in GA, and died in 1961. He married Mary Jane Saxon, daughter of Lewis Washington Saxon and Eliza Parnell. She was born in April 1871 in GA, and died in 1950. They were in the 1900 census for Farmington, Oconee Co., GA, and in the 1910 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA. In both censuses he was listed as Walter J. Graves. They were in the 1920 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, where he was listed as John W. Graves. He was a farmer. All their children were born in GA. (R‑6)
Children - Graves
34. Ellen (“Ellie”) E. (or J.) Graves, b. Dec. 1893.
35. Avery Graves, b. Aug. 1895.
36. Manon Graves (daughter), b. Dec. 1897.
+37. Louis James Graves, b. Oct. 1899, m. Virgie O. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
38. Olin Graves, b.c. 1902.
39. Cullen (or Cullin or Collen) W. Graves, b.c. 1906.
40. Marian Graves, b.c. 1908.
41. Ralph Graves, b.c. 1911.
42. Veyl Graves, b.c. 1913.
+43. Ruth Graves, b. June 1914, m. Reginald Samuel Hardigree, d. June 2000.
CHILDREN OF JAMES S. GRAVES (3) AND MARTHA ------
Samuel (“Sam”) F. Graves (12) was born about 1869 in GA. He married Daisy ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1903. She was born about 1888 in GA. Her father was born in Norway and her mother in GA. They were in the 1910 census for Rockwell, Marion Co., FL. All their children were born in FL.
Children - Graves
44. Christia Graves, b.c. 1904.
45. Ira B. Graves, b.c. 1906.
46. Daisy G. Graves, b.c. 1909.
Essie Graves (13) was born about 1872 in GA. She married John P. Carson about 1905. He was born about 1882 in GA. They were in the 1910 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA. Their children were born in GA.
Children - Carson
47. Musette Carson, b.c. 1908.
48. Martha E. Carson, b.c. 1910.
James Burton Graves (16) was born in March 1879 (or 1880) in GA. He married Lou Goldman about 1903. She was born about 1884 in GA. He was in the 1900 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, ED 85, page 6A, as a boarder with his brother John in the household of James Thrasher. He was in the 1910 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA, page 158A, with 2 children, Clarence and Bessie, both born in GA. Only 2 of their 4 children were still living in 1910. He was a farmer.
His obituary (sent by R‑5) follows:
“Death of a Good Man
Friday morning last at two o’clock at his home on Mr. C. A. Sanders’ farm, near town, occurred the death of Mr. Burton Graves, after an illness from pneumonia and abscessed lungs. The remains were interred Saturday afternoon in the family lot at Salem church ground in Oconee county.
The deceased was 42 years old, and was born and reared in Oconee county, moving to this county two years ago. Early in life he was married to Miss Lou Goldman, of Lincoln county, who, with six or seven small children, survive him. His mother lives with her daughter, Mrs. D. F. Little, and another sister, Mrs. J. P. Carson, lives at Salem. A brother, S. F. Graves, lives at Dunnelion, Fla., while three brothers live in this county – H. L. and R. W., and Elmer Graves.
The deceased was a good man and good citizen, and The Madisonian sympathizes with those who are bereaved by reason of his death.”
The following list of children is from the 1910 census, and from the Form of Application for Admission of a Child into the North Georgia Conference Orphans Home at Decatur, Georgia (dated Oct. 23, 1919). The application stated that the father died Sept. 27, 1918 of pneumonia in Morgan Co., GA, and the mother was living but unable to support the children. The 1920 census for Methodist Orphans Home, Decatur, DeKalb Co., GA, listed inmates Clarence Graves, 12, Bessie Graves, 11, Felton Graves, 8, and Mildred Graves, 6. (R‑4, R‑5)
Children - Graves
49. child, died before 1910.
+50. Clarence Edwin Graves, b. 23 July 1905, m. Louella May Owings, d. 16 March 1986.
51. child, died before 1910.
52. Bessie (or “Betty” or “Bettie”) S. Graves, b.c. 1909, m. Raymond Glore, c. 1929. They were in the 1930 census for Militia Dist. 531, DeKalb Co., GA, and her brother Felton was living with them.
53. Felton Graves, b.c. 1911.
54. Mildred Graves, b.c. 1914.
55. Frances Graves, b.c. 1916. She may have died young, since her name was crossed out on the orphanage application and she could not be found on the 1920 census.
56. James Burton Graves, Jr., b.c. 1918. He may have died young, since his name was crossed out on the orphanage application and he could not be found on the 1920 census.
Rufus W. Graves (18) was born in March 1884 in GA. He married Tulah F. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were in the 1910 census for Salem, Oconee Co., GA. He was a farmer.
Children - Graves
57. Maria W. Graves, b.c. 1910 (GA).
CHILDREN OF JOHN T. GRAVES (4) AND JULIA A. DOCKERY
William Thomas Graves (20) was born 15 Oct. 1866 in La Grange, Fayette Co., TX, died 15 June 1958 in Houston, Harris Co., TX, and was buried 17 June 1958 in Pearland, Brazoria Co., TX. He first married Eddie Williams on 28 Nov. 1887 in Milam Co., TX. She was born in 1866 in TX, died in 1895 in TX, and was buried in Corinth, Milam Co., TX. He married second Annie Adonis Power, daughter of George Tyrone Power and Matilda Ann Wilson, on 25 Nov. 1900 in Thorndale, Milam Co., TX. She was born 22 Nov. 1884 in Temple, Bell Co., TX, died 24 Oct. 1974 in Houston, Harris Co., TX, and was buried 26 Oct. 1974 in Pearland, Brazoria Co., TX. They divorced 24 Nov. 1931. He married third Jimmie ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1936. She died 15 June 1958 in Houston, TX. All the children were born in TX. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves, by Eddie Williams
+58. Julia Arena Graves, b. 18 Jan. 1890, m. Benjamin Franklin Walker, 6 Jan. 1907, d. 26 April 1925.
+59. Nora Lee Graves, b. 4 May 1891, m. Hubert Lee Smith, 6 Jan. 1907, d. 8 Feb. 1982.
+60. Willie Graves, b. Oct. 1894, m. Edward Earl Vachon, d. 28 Oct. 1981.
Children - Graves, by Annie A. Power
+61. Iva May Graves, b. 7 April 1902, m. William Walter Williams, 20 March 1921, d. 4 Feb. 1992.
62. Marvin Henry Graves, b. 14 Jan. 1905 (Taylor, Williamson Co., TX), m(1) Edna Odell, m(2) Dorothy Lee Stallings, d. 7 Sept. 1995 (Houston, Harris Co., TX. Dorothy was b. 4 Sept. 1904 in Boone, WV, and d. 31 Oct. 1995 in Jacinto City (Houston), Harris Co., TX.
+63. Mamie Evelyn Graves, b. 28 Aug. 1907, m. John Ralph Ashley, 8 Nov. 1927, d. June 1987.
+64. Harmon Benjamin Graves, b. 17 Sept. 1909, m. Madeline Elaine Burton, 5 June 1929, d. 16 March 2002.
+65. William Thomas Graves, Jr., b. 4 March 1914, m. Caroline Carrie Janak, 24 Dec. 1933, d. 5 Aug. 1980.
Children - Graves, by Jimmie ------
66. William Dean Graves, b. 1937, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. 2 children.
Annie Virginia Graves (21) was born 4 April 1869 in Washington Co., TX, and died 4 April 1894 in Milam Co., TX. She married James C. Blackburn on 23 June 1886 in Milam Co., TX. He died about 1900. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Blackburn
67. Jim Blackburn, d.c. 1900.
+68. Mary Ann Blackburn, b. 4 April 1894, m. Joseph Ferdinand Waldrop, 1 Dec. 1910, d. 19 Nov. 1964.
Robert Lee Graves (22) was born in Sept. 1871 in TX, and died after 1910 in TX. He married Minnie M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1895 in TX. She was born in Dec. 1877 in TX, and died after 1910 in TX. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
69. Floyd Graves, b. Dec. 1895, d.c. 1950.
70. Sada Graves, b. Sept. 1897, d.c. 1950.
71. Runa Graves
72. Dimmie Graves
Mary Alice ("Mollie") Graves (23) was born 29 Jan. 1873 in Cameron, Milam Co., TX, and died 14 Feb. 1937 in West Tulsa, Tulsa Co., OK. She married Harvey Otis McLaughlin, son of William McLaughlin and Anna Finton, on 1 July 1891 in Cameron, TX. He was born 9 May 1869 in Franklin Co., OH, and died 9 Aug. 1934 in West Tulsa, Tulsa Co., OK. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - McLaughlin
+73. Harvey Otis McLaughlin, b. 27 July 1892, m. Nettie Margaret Beasley, d. 15 Dec. 1966.
+74. Minnie Roberta McLaughlin, b. 8 Jan. 1894, m. Evan Spencer Mitchell, d. 8 May 1982.
+75. Laura Ollie McLaughlin, b. 21 Feb. 1896, m. Asa Warren Buck, d. 6 Aug. 1965.
76. William Thomas McLaughlin, b.c. 1897.
77. Lottie B. McLaughlin, b. 1900.
+78. Myrtle Lenona McLaughlin, b. 13 Aug. 1902, m. Walter Francis Adams, 13 Aug. 1917, d. 31 Aug. 1992.
+79. Myrl Irene McLaughlin, b. 1 April 1905, m. Ora Ivan Dean, d. 8 Dec. 1950.
80. Leonard Calvin McLaughlin, b. 10 Feb. 1908 (Eden, Concho Co., TX), m. Letha Louisa Williard, d. Jan. 1963 (Tulsa, Tulsa Co., OK). 10 children.
81. Alta Mae McLaughlin, b. 1910.
82. Oscar Leroy McLaughlin, b. 1912.
James Carroll Graves (24) was born 5 Aug. 1875 in TX, and died 12 Feb. 1950 in Itasca, Hill Co., TX. He married Hattie (or Hallie) Ollie Woodard on 9 Oct. 1893 in Cameron, Milam Co., TX. She was born 4 Oct. 1879 in Independence, Washington Co., TX, and died 9 May 1934 in Italy, Ellis Co., TX. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
83. Lester Graves, b. 21 April 1895, m. Cynthia E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 16 Sept. 1972 (Italy, Ellis Co., TX). She was b. 9 Aug. 1902, and d. 24 Feb. 1987 in Italy, TX.
+84. Frank Graves, b. May 1897, m. Letha ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d.c. 1950.
85. Clarence Graves, b. April 1900, d.c. 1975.
86. Arie Maggie Graves, b. 1901.
87. Ora May Graves, b. 1903.
88. Hulen Graves, b. 2 Feb. 1907, d. 1961 (TX).
89. Ivey Graves, b. 1909.
90. Fred Graves
91. Boyd Graves
92. Edgar Graves
93. Lodena Graves
94. Corene Graves
95. James Carroll Graves
Lula Graves (26) was born 5 Sept. 1881 in Cameron, Milam Co., TX, and died 25 Jan. 1963 in Italy, Ellis Co., TX. She married James Porter Dunn on 20 July 1899 in Milam Co., TX. He was born 5 Jan. 1877 in Union Grove, AL (or LA), and died 29 July 1963 in Hillsboro, Hill Co., TX. (R‑3)
Children - Dunn
96. Roy L. Dunn, b. 1 July 1901, m. Vallie Vera Brewer, 11 Jan. 1924 (Ellis Co., TX), d. 10 Dec. 1985 (Italy, Ellis Co., TX). She was b. 1 Aug. 1899 in TX, and d. 3 Oct. 1980 in Italy, Ellis Co., TX.
97. Leonard Dunn, b. 2 Oct. 1902 (TX), m. Giulia Crumpton, 7 Nov. 1933 (TX), d. 26 April 1981 (Grand Prairie, Dallas Co., TX). She was b. 15 April 1908 in TX, and d. 8 May 1992 in TX. 3 children.
98. Willie Ira Dunn, b. 6 Nov. 1905 (Frost, Navarro Co., TX), m. Mattie Louise Hobbs, 3 July 1943 (Italy, Ellis Co., TX), d. 18 May 1986 (Waxahachie, Ellis Co., TX). She was b. 9 Oct. 1909 in Frost, TX, and d. 1 April 1986 in Waxahachie, TX.
99. Nonnie V. Dunn, b. 1 March 1908 (Frost, Navarro Co., TX), m(1) Joseph Edward Hoover, 10 Aug. 1929 (Forreston, Ellis Co., TX), m(2) B. C. Willeford, 1946, m(3) Willie Corley, May 1976 (Waxahachie, Ellis Co., TX), d. 24 Feb. 1998 (Fair Oaks, Sacramento Co., CA). Joseph was b. 19 April 1903 in Forreston, TX, and d. 7 Nov. 1973 in Italy, Ellis Co., TX, son of Robie Hoover and Leora Harris. B. C. was b. 28 Nov. 1908, and d. 21 Nov. 1971 in Italy, TX. Willie was b. 1901, and d. Oct. 1978 in Waxahachie, TX. 1 daughter by Hoover.
100. James Porter Dunn, b.c. 1910, m. Jesse Stout, d. 15 Nov. 1963 (Lancaster, TX). She d. 12 Sept. 1977 in Lancaster, Dallas Co., TX. 1 son.
101. Verna Mae Dunn, b. 21 Aug. 1912 (TX), m(1) Roy Green, m(2) Irvin Gray Green, m(3) Monroe J. Copeland, d. 12 April 1995 (Ft. Worth, Tarrant Co., TX). Monroe was b. 1907 in TX, and d. in Ft. Worth, TX. 2 children by Green.
Ruby Hortense (“Tennie” or “Tinnie”) Graves (27) was born in Sept. 1884 in Cameron, Milam Co., TX, and died about 1912 in TX (supposedly when her youngest child was 3 months old). She married John Clinton Burke, son of William F. Burke and Margaret Davis, about 1898 in TX (when she was age 14). He was born 24 March 1881 in TX, and died 28 July 1968 in Esparto, CA. His father, William F. Burke, was born about 1855 in GA, and died in 1924 in Roswell, NM, and his mother, Margaret, was born in TN. There was a Ruby Burke who died 7 Sept. 1913 in Bexar Co., TX, who might be Tinnie.
The family was listed in the 1910 census for Concho Co., TX, and included John, Tinnie, and their first 4 children. They had been married 11 years, and all family members were born in TX.
After the death of Tinnie, John Clinton Burke apparently left the youngest, Ovie Lillian, to be raised by another family, and he took the other children to California. All their children were born in TX. (R‑3, R‑7)
Children - Burke
+102. William Clifford Burke, b.c. 1900, m. Retha Massingill.
103. Ruby Clarete Burke, b. 21 July 1902, d.c. 1942 (CA).
104. John Clinton Burke, b. 22 Aug. 1906, m. Catherine ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. FL. He was in the military service
105. Yuma May Burke, b.c. 1904, d.c. 1905 (TX).
106. Della Marie Burke, b. 12 Nov. 1908, m. Alex Hartman, d. Esparto, CA. 4 children.
107. Margaret Irene Burke, b. 13 Nov. 1910, m. Albert Jones, d. 6 Dec. 1991 (Madera, CA). 5 children.
108. Ovie Lillian Burke, b. 23 Aug. 1912 (Concho Co., TX), m. Benjamin Theodore Croutch, d. 1 Nov. 1990 (Yuma, AZ). 4 children, one of whom was Betty Fleischaker..
Ola Ander Graves (28) was born 2 Aug. 1886 in TX, and died 17 Nov. 1969. He married Ada Estelle Williams in 1905 in TX. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
109. Sydney (or Sidney) Graves
+110. Orpah Lee Graves, b. 1908, m. Walter Roosevelt Guinn.
111. son, b. 1910.
112. Jesse H. Graves, b. 21 April 1921 (Jefferson, Marion Co., TX), m. Betty Lou ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 21 Aug. 1997 (Hutchinson, McLeod Co., MN). She d. 18 Aug. 1997 in Hutchinson, MN. 1 child.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 Her maiden name is from R‑5, who sent a copy of the Form of Application for Admission of a Child into the North Georgia Conference Orphans Home at Decatur Georgia, dated Oct. 23, 1919. The only puzzling thing about this application is that it lists James Graves and Mattie Fielding as the parents of the six children to be admitted to the orphanage, whereas it seems quite clear that the parents were James Burton Graves and Lou Goldman. Perhaps the grandparents were temporarily looking after the children and were helping in the process of admission to the orphanage.
 Per their marriage license.