Rev. 17 Feb. 2012, Gen. 206
DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM H. GRAVES AND SARAH J. ------ OF NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA & MAINE
William H. Graves (1) was born about 1826 in New Brunswick, Canada, and probably died 1875-1880. He married Sarah J. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, perhaps about 1853. She was born about 1832 in New Brunswick. He registered for the Civil War draft in 1863. They were in the 1860 and 1870 censuses for Presque Isle, Aroostook Co., ME. He was a farmer. They could not be found on either the 1850 census for Maine or the 1851 census for New Brunswick. She was on the 1880 census, listed as a widow. According to the 1860 and 1870 censuses, all their children were born in Maine except for the last one who was born in New Brunswick.
It is possible that he was related to the family of Lt. William Graves (genealogy 238) and Richard Graves and Elizabeth Belyea of New Brunswick (genealogy 436), but no specific connection is known. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
+2. Susan Jane Graves, b.c. 1854, m. George L. Cyr, 10 July 1875.
+3. Loantha A. Graves, b.c. 1856, prob. m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Holmes.
4. William H. Graves, Jr., b.c. 1858, m. Ellen ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were in the 1880 census for Presque Isle, ME, with no children, when he was a laborer. She was b.c. 1861 in New Brunswick.
5. Elmira Graves, b.c. March 1860.
6. Mary Graves, b.c. 1863. Mary was in the 1880 census for Presque Isle, Aroostook Co., ME (enumerated June 17, 1880), living with her mother, and was also in the 1880 census for Maysville, Aroostook Co., ME (enumerated June 15, 1880), living with her sister Susan.
+7. George W. Graves, b. Jan. 1867, m. Alma ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1888.
8. Martha S. Graves, b.c. 1875.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM H. GRAVES (1) AND SARAH J. ------
Susan Jane Graves (2) was born about 1854 in Maine. She married George L. Cyr on 10 July 1875. He was born about 1854 in Maine. They were in the 1880 census for Maysville, Aroostook Co., ME, with her sister Mary living with them. They were in the 1910 census for Caribou, Aroostook Co., ME, when 6 of their 11 children were still living. He was a farm laborer. All their children were born in ME. (R‑1)
Children – Cyr
9. Rosa M. Cyr, b.c. 1876.
+10. John G. Cyr, b.c. 1878, m(1) Josephine ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1903, m(2) Marie Ouellette, c. 1926.
11. William H. Cyr, b. April 1880.
13. Annie Cyr, b.c. 1892.
14. Flossie Cyr, b.c. 1895
Loantha A. Graves (3) was born about 1856 in Maine. She probably married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Holmes, although that is not certain. Florence Holmes (spelling of last name not certain) was in the 1880 census for Presque Isle, Aroostook Co., ME, living with her widowed grandmother. Since Loantha was the only daughter who was old enough to have had a 6-year-old child by 1880, and no one with the name Loantha (or obvious variation of that) could be found in 1880, there is little doubt that Florence was Loantha’s daughter.
Children – Holmes
15. Florence Holmes, b.c. 1874 (ME).
George W. Graves (7) was born in Jan. 1867 in Maine. He married Alma ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1888. She was born in Aug. 1863 in English Canada. They were in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Presque Isle, Aroostook Co., ME, and the 1920 census for Mars Hill, Aroostook Co., ME. He was a farmer in 1900 and 1920, and a policeman in 1910. Five of their 6 children were living in 1900, and 5 of their 8 children were living in 1910. All their children were born in Maine.
Children – Graves
16. William Graves, b. April 1889.
17. child, died before 1900.
18. John H. Graves, b. March 1893.
19. Fay B. Graves (son), b. Feb. 1895.
20. Ralph L. Graves, b. Aug. 1896.
21. Floyd Fran Graves, b. July 1899.
22. Lena L. Graves, b.c. Dec. 1916. Listed as a daughter in the 1916 census, but seems more likely to be a granddaughter.
CHILDREN OF SUSAN J. GRAVES (2) AND GEORGE L. CYR
John G. Cyr (10) was born about 1878 in Maine. He first married Josephine ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1903. She was born about 1881 in Canada, and probably died 1920-1926. They were in the 1910 and 1920 censuses for Caribou, Aroostook Co., ME. He married second Marie (“Bertha”) Ouellette about 1926. She was born about 1907 in Maine. They were in the 1930 census for Caribou, Aroostook Co., ME. He was a farm laborer in 1910 and 1930, and a factory laborer in 1920.
Children – Cyr, by Josephine ------
23. Lawrence Cyr, b.c. 1903.
24. Laura (or Lauretta) Cyr, b.c. 1905.
25. Leo Cyr, b.c. 1908.
26. Leona Cyr, b.c. 1908, probably d. by 1920 (not in 1920 census).
27. Sylvis (or Sylvio) Cyr, b.c. Aug. 1909.
28. Annie Cyr, b.c. 1911.
29. Louis Cyr, b.c. 1913.
30. Alma Cyr, b.c. 1915.
31. Irene Cyr, b.c. 1917.
Children – Cyr, by Marie Ouellette
32. Leorna Cyr, b.c. April 1927.
33. William Cyr, b.c. 1928.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page