Revised 16 Dec. 2010, Gen. 211
DESCENDANTS OF BENJAMIN GRAVES AND MILDRED HANCOCK OF VA & WILSON CO., TN
Benjamin Graves (1) was born about 1774 in VA, and died about 1857 in Wilson Co., TN. There was a settlement of his estate. His will was signed 13 March 1856. He left everything to his wife Mildred and children. In addition to his wife, his will mentioned daughter Ann Jones, and grandsons Fountain and Suvannah Richard Hester (children of his deceased daughter Mildred who married Hiram Hester).
He married Mildred Hancock. She was born about 1794 in VA, and died about 1869 in Wilson Co., TN. They moved to Wilson Co., TN about 1830 (between the birth of their children Mildred and Elizabeth). They and their children were listed in the 1850 census for Wilson Co. Although William and James weren't living in the same household at that time, since they were living next door, it is reasonable to assume they were sons. All their children were born in VA except for the last two who were born in TN. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
+2. Williamson Stokes Graves, b.c. 1810, m. Winnifred Lanceford, 29 Jan. 1834, d. 1860-70.
3. Ann Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Jones.
+4. James M. Graves, b. 21 April 1817, m. Elizabeth Maynard, d. 16 July 1874.
5. Benjamin J. Graves, b.c. 1822. He was the administrator of his father's will, and was still living with his widowed mother in 1860.
+6. John E. Graves, b. 12 Aug. 1823, m(1) Mary Bloodworth, 20 Nov. 1851, m(2) Ariella Anderson, 22 June 1865, d. 24 May 1895.
7. Jane Graves, b.c. 1827, m. James Bloodworth, 14 Feb. 1858 (Wilson Co., TN).
8. Richard D. Graves, b.c. 1828. Went to TX. His will was probated 18 Nov. 1863 in Wilson Co., TN. He left no wife or children.
+9. Mildred C. Graves, b.c. 1829, m. Hiram G. Hester, 15 April 1846, d. by 1856 (or in 1860).
10. Elizabeth ("Eliza") Graves, b.c. 1834, m. Francis L. Ligan, 2 Feb. 1854.
+11. Matilda E. Graves, b. 6 Aug. 1835, m. James P. Wright, 11 Feb. 1855, d. 6 Sept. 1886. He d. 8 Feb. 1870. Both bur. in Hollis Wright Cem., Wilson Co., TN.
CHILDREN OF BENJAMIN GRAVES (1)
Williamson Stokes Graves (2), usually referred to as William, was born about 1810 in VA, and died between 1860 and 1870 in Wilson Co., TN. He married Winnifred (or Winfred) ("Winny") Lanceford (or Lansford or Lundsford) on 29 Jan. 1834 in Wilson Co. She was born about 1813 or 1814 in TN, and died after 1880. Supposedly one of their sons went to KY and the rest stayed in TN.
There is an old family story that three Graves brothers came up by way of the river to the Wilson Co.- Davidson Co. areas (the vicinity of Nashville, TN). Two of the three stayed in TN, and the other went to KY. It is not known whether this story refers to Rufus and his brothers (probably not), or whether it was William and his brothers, or whether it was William's father and his brothers.
The information on this family is from the 1850-1880 censuses for Wilson Co., TN, and Wilson Co. marriage records. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
12. Rebecca Ann Graves, b.c. 1836.
13. John W. Graves, b.c. 1840.
14. Malinda Jane Graves (called Jane), b.c. 1841-44, never married. Living with her brother Rufus in 1900 in Wilson Co., TN.
15. George W. Graves, b.c. 1844, m. Martha ------. She was b.c. 1849 in TN. They were in the 1870 census for Wilson Co., TN. In their household was Abram Graves, b.c. 1859 in TN, but it is unlikely that this is a son, since he was only 10 years younger than Martha. George was in the 1900 census for Wilson Co., TN, widowed, living with his brother Henry. (R‑2)
16. Henry Thomas (called Tom) Graves, b.c. 1847-48, m. Mattie Jane ------, c. 1895. No children in 1900.
+17. Rufus William Graves, b. 12 March 1850, m. Mary Elizabeth Brown, 6 Jan. 1876, d. 13 Nov. 1906.
+18. Mary Elizabeth Graves, b. Nov. 1854, m. Philip Marion Caraway, 26 Nov. 1874, d. 13 June 1931.
James M. Graves (4) was born 21 April 1817 in VA, and died 16 July 1874. He married Elizabeth ("Betty") Maynard. She was born 18 Aug. 1824 in TN, and died 28 April 1914. They were both buried in the Graves Cem., Laguardo community, Wilson Co., TN. They were in the 1850 census for Wilson Co., TN, living next to his brother William. They were in the 1860 census for Wilson Co., TN, living next to his mother. He was a farmer. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Graves
19. Louisiana (called Lucy A. in the 1850 census) Graves, b.c. 1847.
20. Norella Graves, b.c. 1849. Not shown in the 1860 census.
21. Martha Graves, b.c. 1851.
22. James T. Graves, b. 16 June 1851, d. 4 May 1890.
23. Sarah A. Graves, b.c. 1856.
+24. Thomas Rutherford Graves, b. 8 July 1858, m. Agnes Inez Donnell, 25 Dec. 1884, d. 22 Nov. 1940.
25. William Graves, b.c. 1862.
26. Sammy Graves, b.c. 1866.
27. George Graves, b.c. 1868, m. Mallie Seaborn.
John E. Graves (6) was born 12 Aug. 1823 in VA, and died 24 May 1895. The 1850 census gave VA as his birthplace, but the 1860 and 1870 censuses gave TN. He was listed with wife Mary, born about 1824 in TN, in the 1860 census and with wife Arilda, born about 1837 in TN, in the 1870 census. All census records are for Wilson Co., TN, and all children were born in TN.
He first married Mary Bloodworth on 20 Nov. 1851 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born 14 April 1825 and died 15 March 1861. He secondly married Ariella (“Ella”) Anderson on 22 June 1865. She was born 11 Sept. 1837 and died 29 March 1890. Ella and John were both buried in the Bass Cem., Wilson Co., TN. They were in the 1880 census for Wilson Co., TN. (R‑2, R‑3))
Children - Graves, by Mary Bloodworth
28. Polevia (or Polivia) C. Graves (dau.), b.c. 1852-3.
+29. Bernice Bender Graves (son), b. 25 Feb. 1854, d. 4 Dec. 1919.
30. Malkijah (or Malla) Graves (son), b.c. 1856-7.
31. Mary Graves, b.c. 1859. Not shown in 1870 census.
32. Johnella Graves (dau.), b.c. 1861.
Children - Graves, by Ariella Anderson
33. Ida Graves, b.c. 1866.
34. Joseph Graves, b.c. 1868.
35. Richard Graves, b.c. 1869.
36. Eddie Graves, b.c. 1872.
37. Neva Graves, b. 18 June 1874, m. C. C. (“Cader”) Bass, d. 10 Jan. 1905. He was b. 23 Aug. 1864 in Wilson Co., TN, and d. 10 Jan. 1930, son of Hugh L. Bass and Almeda Vivrett, and brother of Mary Lucille Bass who m. Bernice Bender Graves.
38. Nannie Graves, b.c. 1879.
Mildred C. Graves (9) was born about 1829 in VA, and died in 1860 in TN. She married Hiram G. Hester, son of John Alfred Hester and Frances H. Bates, on 15 April 1846 in Wilson Co., TN. He was born about 1828 in Wilson Co., TN, and died in Aug. 1880 in Portland, Sumner Co., TN. All their children were born in TN. Hiram married second Surenia (or Lavinia) about 1861 and had at least 2 more children. (R‑3)
Children - Hester
+39. Fountain E. Hester, b. 21 Jan. 1847, m(1) Margaret Elizabeth Crudup, c. 1867, m(2) Sallie L. Graves, 22 Oct. 1884, d. 1900.
40. Lavinous Hester (daughter), b.c. 1848.
41. Mary Elizabeth (“Bettie”) Hester, b.c. 1849, d. 14 Oct. 1929 (Madison, Davidson Co., TN).
42. Sarah (or Suvannah) Richard Hester, b.c. 1851.
43. Marshall Hester, b.c. 1854.
44. Eliza J. Hester, b.c. 1857.
45. Melcijah Hester, b.c. 1858.
Matilda E. Graves (11) was born 6 Aug. 1835 in TN, and died 6 Sept. 1886. She married James P. Wright on 11 Feb. 1855. He died 8 Feb. 1870. They were both buried in Hollis Wright Cem., Wilson Co., TN. She was in the 1860, 1870, and 1880 censuses for Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in TN.
Children - Wright
46. Missouri Jane Wright, b.c. 1857.
47. William Ulexus Wright, b.c. 1861.
48. James Davis Wright, b.c. 1864.
49. Robert Lee Wright, b.c. 1867.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVES (2) AND WINNIFRED LANCEFORD
Rufus William Graves (17) was born 12 March 1850 in NC or SC or TN, and died 13 Nov. 1906 in Wilson Co., TN. He married Mary Elizabeth Brown on 6 Jan. 1876 in Wilson Co., TN. She was born 15 Jan. 1852 in the Cairo Bend section of Wilson Co., and died 26 Aug. 1890 in Wilson Co. They were both laid to rest with others of the family at the Old New Hope Cem., Wilson Co. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+50. John William Graves, b. 19 Oct. 1877, m. Delia Davis, d. 28 Aug. 1953.
51. Joseph Robert Graves, b. 13 Dec. 1880, m. Maude Ballinger, d. 20 Nov. 1935.
52. Unnamed infant, b. and d. 24 Oct. 1883.
+53. Thedosia Graves, b. 30 Aug. 1885, m. Claude Stewart, d. 7 July 1960.
54. Mattie Adeline Graves, b. 5 May 1887, m. ------ Valuzette, d. 2 March 1973 (Lebanon, Wilson Co., TN). No children.
+55. Oddie Lennon Graves, b. 12 Jan. 1889, m. Katherine Louise Shepherd, 11 Dec. 1909, d. 1979.
Mary Elizabeth ("Mollie") Graves (18) was born in Nov. 1854 and died 13 June 1931, both in Wilson Co., TN. She married Philip Marion Caraway, son of Samuel Clemmons Caraway and Nancy Catherine Smart, on 29 Jan. 1834 (date of bond) in Wilson Co. Philip, called Marion on some records, was born in July 1853 in TN or MS (both shown on the census), and died 31 Oct. 1928 in Wilson Co., TN. He was a grandson of Willis Caraway and Susannah Clemmons. (R‑2)
Children - Caraway
+56. Nancy J. Caraway, b. Dec. 1877, m. James Sanders, c. 1894.
57. Nora R. Caraway, b. March 1883, never married, d. 8 June 1964.
CHILDREN OF JAMES M. GRAVES (3) AND ELIZABETH MAYNARD
Thomas Rutherford Graves (24) was born 8 July 1858, and died 22 Nov. 1940, both in Wilson Co., TN. He married Agnes Inez Donnell on 25 Dec. 1884. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
+58. Edgar Allen Graves, b. 22 Dec. 1884, m. Essie Lee Philpot, 22 Dec. 1908, d. 21 Dec. 1946.
59. Roscoe Graves, b.c. 1888, m. Ruby Foutch, d. 12 June 1933.
60. Isla Graves, b. 1891.
61. Marie Inez Graves, b. 26 Nov. 1895, m. John E. Wright, (Wilson Co., TN), d. 1 Sept. 1919.
CHILDREN OF JOHN E. GRAVES (6)
Bernice Bender Graves (29) was born 25 Feb. 1854 in Wilson Co., TN, and died 4 Dec. 1919. His name has been spelled various ways on censuses and other records. He married Mary Lucille (“Lucy”) Bass, daughter of Hugh L. Bass and Almeda Vivrett. She was born 6 April 1861 in Silver Springs, Wilson Co., TN, and died 30 Aug. 1919. They ere in the 1900 census for Wilson Co., TN. All their children were born in Wilson Co., TN. (R‑4)
Children - Graves
62. Willie Hatton Graves, b. 5 Nov. 1882 (Silver Springs, Wilson Co., TN), m. Ida Bell Parish, d. 20 March 1941 (Lebanon, Wilson Co., TN). She was dau. of William Robert Parish and Cora Taylor.
63. Nellie Green Graves, b. 16 Oct. 1887, d. 20 March 1915.
+64. Hugh Edwards Graves, b. 27 June 1891, d. 23 Oct. 1963 (Blacksburg, Montgomery Co., VA).
65. Addie Ryan Graves, b. 6 Jan. 1894, d. 24 Dec. 1914 (Asheville, Buncombe Co., NC).
CHILDREN OF MILDRED C. GRAVES (9) AND HIRAM G. HESTER
Fountain E. Hester (39) was born 21 Jan. 1847 in TN, and died about 1900 in Portland, Sumner Co., TN. He first married Margaret Elizabeth Crudup, daughter of Josiah Crudup and Louisa Jane Wright, about 1867. She was born 16 June 1849 in TN, and died 15 Feb. 1933 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He married second Sallie L. Graves on 22 Oct. 1884 in Sumner Co., TN. She was born 11 Oct. 1855 in TN. Fountain and Margaret were in the 1870 and 1880 censuses for Wilson Co., TN. He and Sallie were in the 1900 census for Sumner Co., TN. He was a farmer. All his children were born in TN, at least the last 3 in Sumner Co., and the last 3 died in Sumner Co. (R‑5)
Children - Hester, by Margaret E. Crudup
+66. Robert Lavarius Hester, b. 21 Nov. 1868, m. Lucinda Minnie Pulley, 28 Jan. 1898, d. 15 June 1917.
Children - Hester, by Sallie E. Graves
67. Ida Bell Evelyn Hester, b. 15 Oct. 1885, d. 28 June 1912.
68. Minnie Mae Hester, b. 14 July 1887, d. 19 Jan. 1974.
69. James Ollie Hester, b. 8 April 1890 (or Oct. 1889), d. 29 Sept. 1983.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
His full name was given in the will of his brother, Richard D. Graves.