Rev. 8 Aug. 2013, Gen. 226
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES GRAVES AND SARAH ATTAWAY (OR CARSON) OF WILKES CO., GA
James Graves (1) was born about 1755 and died 3 Nov. 1817, both in Wilkes Co., GA. There is some belief that he may have been born in VA. He married Sarah Attaway or Sarah Carson (her surname is uncertain). She was born about 1760 in Lancaster Co., SC (or Wilkes Co., GA), and died in 1821 in Wilkes Co., GA.
According to many submitted genealogies on Ancestry.com, James was a son of James Graves and Mary Copeland of genealogy 150. This is possible, although gen. 150 reports that the James Graves who may have been a son of James Graves and Mary Copeland married Catherine West.
It is also claimed that James S. Graves of genealogy 379 was one of the children of this James Graves and Sarah. However, that seems unlikely. (R‑4, R‑5)
Children - Graves
2. Ellinor Graves, b.c. 1782.
+3. James Graves, b.c. 1787, m. Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 1817, d. after 1860.
4. Robert Charles Graves, b.c. 1788 (Kershaw Co., SC), d. 1854 (Wilkes Co., AL).
5. Gracey Graves, b.c. 1790 (Lancaster Co., SC).
6. Hannah Graves, b.c. 1792.
7. Sarah Graves, b.c. 1795.
CHILDREN OF JAMES GRAVES (1) AND SARAH ATTAWAY (OR CARSON)
James Graves (3) was born about 1787 in Lancaster, Lancaster Co., SC, and died after 1860 in Mariana, Jackson Co., FL. He married Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑ in 1817. She was born about 1798 in SC, and died 18 July 1860 in Mariana, Jackson Co., FL. Their first 1 or 2 children were born in SC and the others in GA. James, Charles, and James C. Graves were all gunsmiths. (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Graves
8. Charles M. Graves, b.c. 1818 (SC), m. Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1827 in GA. They were in the 1850 census for Hamilton District, Harris Co., GA, living near his parents.
9. William P. Graves, b. 19 March 1820, d. 1884.
+10. Hiram C. Graves, b.c. 1822, m. Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. Aug. 1887.
+11. Susan A. Graves, b. Oct. 1827, m. Jesse Blackman.
+12. James Calvin Graves, b. Aug. 1829, m(1) Melinda L. Willis, 7 Feb. 1850, m(2) Clara P. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 26 Jan. 1883.
13. Betty A. Graves, b.c. 1832.
CHILDREN OF JAMES GRAVES (3) AND ELIZABETH ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Hiram C. Graves (10) was born about 1822 in GA, and died in Aug. 1887 in Atlanta, Fulton Co., GA. He married Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1828 in GA. They were in the 1860 and 1870 censuses for West Point, Troup Co., GA. They were in the 1880 census for West Point, Troup Co., GA, when his parents were both listed as born in NC, both her parents were born in SC, and he was a carpenter. All their children were born in GA.
Children - Graves
14. Susan A. Graves, b.c. 1852.
15. John Graves, b.c. 1853.
16. Sarah (or Julia) Graves, b.c. 1856.
17. Hiram Graves, b.c. 1858. He was also a carpenter.
18. Charles Graves, b. 1860.
19. Manda Graves, b.c. 1865. This is probably the same as Annie.
20. Annie Graves, b.c. 1866.
Susan (“Sue”) A. Graves (11) was born in Oct. 1827 in GA. She married Jesse Blackman (or Blackmon). He was born about 1809 in SC. They were in the 1850 census for Hamilton Dist., Harris Co., GA, living next to her parents. She was listed as sister of J. C. Graves in the 1880 Limestone Co., TX census. Jesse was a farmer. All their children were born in GA. (R‑1)
Children - Blackmon
21. Amanda J. Blackmon, b. March 1842 (GA).
22. Charles M. Blackman, b.c. 1846.
23. Robert M. Blackman, b.c. 1849.
James Calvin Graves (12) was born in Aug. 1829 in GA, and died 22 Jan. 1913 in Bosque Co., TX. He first married Melinda (or Malinda) L. Willis on 7 Feb. 1850 in GA. She was born about 1830 in GA, and died 1872-1880 in TX. Their first child was born in Troup Co., GA, the last one in Washington Co., Texas, and all the others in Macon Co., AL. They were in the 1850 census for Troup Co., GA. They were in the 1860 census for Macon Co., AL. They were in the 1870 census for Washington Co., TX. He was in the 1880 census for Kosse, Limestone Co., TX, listed as a widower. He was a sawyer in 1860, a farmer in 1870, and a blacksmith in 1880. Their first child was born in Troup Co., GA, the last one in Washington Co., TX, and all the others in Macon Co., AL.
It has been believed by some that James Graves married second Carrie Frazier after July 1863 in AL, and that Catherine, Samuel, and Bettie were by her. She was supposedly born about 1838 in GA, and died in the 1900’s in OK. However, the 1870 census clearly shows that Melinda was still James’s wife then (although her date of birth in that census is about 1838), and the 1880 census shows no wife. Also, the Texas marriage records show the marriage of James to Carrie Wages on 28 Jan. 1883, so that must be the source of the name Carrie.
He married second Carrie (or Clara P.) Wages on 26 Jan. 1883 in Limestone Co., TX. She was born in Nov. 1859 in AL. They were in the 1900 census for Limestone Co., TX. Clara had been married before and her daughter by that marriage, Lelia Wages (age 19), was living with them. Her maiden name may have been Carrie Frazier (or Frasier), but she has not been found with that name in any census. All their children were born in Limestone Co. (R‑1)
Children - Graves, by Melinda L. Willis
24. James C. Graves, b.c. 1851, d.c. 1910.
+25. Alexander H. Graves, b. 5 March 1853, m. Dora ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1887.
+26. Cornelia J. Graves, b.c. 1855, m. Isaac Benjamin Welch, 27 Sept. 1872, d. 22 June 1890.
27. William B. Graves, b. Oct. 1857, m. Fannie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 2 Nov. 1915 (Orange Co., TX). They were in the 1900 census for Orange Co., TX. No children.
28. Charles M. Graves, b.c. 1859.
29. Robert E. ("Bob") Graves, b. after 12 July 1860.
+30. Katherine Frazier Graves, b. 28 Aug. 1864, m. James Calvin Russell, 23 March 1884, d. 19 Nov. 1916.
+31. Samuel Y. Graves, b.c. May 1867-69, m. Mary Edna ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+32. Elizabeth J. Graves, b. March 1872, m. George W. Collard, 1886.
Children - Graves, by Clara P. ‑‑‑‑‑‑
+33. Grover Cleveland Graves, b. 28 Sept. 1884, m. Martha Matilda McFerrin, Oct. 1913, d. 25 Aug. 1963.
34. Oscar Graves, b. Aug. 1888.
35. Berty R. Graves, b. April 1890.
36. Carl Graves, b. Dec. 1892.
37. Lillie D. Graves, b. May 1896.
CHILDREN OF JAMES C. GRAVES (12)
Alexander (“Alex” or “Alf”) H. Graves (25) was born 5 March 1853 in Macon Co., AL, and died in Ralls/Lorenzo, Crosby, Harris Co., TX. (According to R‑5, he died in Abilene, Taylor Co., TX.) He was listed as Alphonse in the 1860 census, but as A. H. in 1870 and 1880, as Alexander in 1900, and as Alex H. in 1910. He is probably the one in the 1870 census of the North Fork of Bosque Creek, Erath Co., TX. He married Dora ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1887. She was born in Dec. 1870 in TX. They were in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Abilene, Taylor Co., TX. Five of their 6 children were still living in 1900, and 4 of 6 were living in 1910 (so either Georgia or Bessie died 1900-1910). Alex was a blacksmith. All their children were born in TX.
Children - Graves
38. Georgia Graves, b. June 1887.
39. Bessie Graves, b. June 1889.
40. child, probably b.c. 1892, d. before 1900 census.
41. Alice Graves, b. Jan. 1894.
42. J. V. Graves (son), b. June 1896.
+43. Julian S. Graves, b. Oct. 1898, m. Aurore E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
Cornelia J. (“Cora”) Graves (26) was born about 1855 in AL, probably in Macon Co., and died 22 June 1890-1894 in Millican, Brazos Co., TX. She married Isaac Benjamin Welch, son of Joseph Benjamin Welch and Dilliah (Deliah) Phillips Barrett, on 27 Sept. 1872 in Washington Co., Texas. He was born 25 April 1846 in Macon Co., AL, and died 6 July 1924 in Connor Community, Madison Co., Texas. Their first 3 children were probably born in Falls Co., Texas, the next four were definitely born there, and the last was born in Bryan, Brazos Co., TX. Isaac secondly married Minnie Ola Rhodes. (R‑1)
Children - Welch
44. James F. Welch, b.c. 1874.
+45. Edward Welch, b.c. 1876, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Dollie ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
46. Van Doran Welch, b. April 1877, m. Minnie M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 1903.
+47. Leola Katherine Welch, b. 16 Sept. 1880, m. John LaFayette Rhodes, 16 Nov. 1898, d. 15 July 1960.
+48. Oscar Phillip Welch, b. 27 Aug. 1884, m. Mollie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 1903.
49. Alick Welch, b. Aug. 1885.
+50. Carrie Welch, b. Sept. 1887, m. Arthur Holcomb.
+51. Ruby Alice Welch, b. 22 June 1890, m. Thomas Arthur Dowell, 22 May 1911, d. 28 July 1971.
Katherine (“Kate” or “Katie”) Frazier (or Frasier) Graves (30) was born 28 Aug. 1864 in Macon Co., AL, and died 19 Nov. 1916 in Turkey, Hall Co., TX. She married James Calvin (“Jimmie”) Russell, son of James Howell Russell and Rhoda Starkey, on 23 March 1884 in Macon Co., AL. He was born 7 March 1853 in AR, and died 23 Dec. 1910 in Terrell Co., TX. (This death date and place is suspect, since Jimmie could not be found in the 1910 census or the 1900 census, and the 1900 census indicated that he was dead.) He first married Josephine Adams in 1877, and had 3 children by that marriage. Josephine died 3 July 1881 in Kosse, Limestone Co., TX. Katie, widowed, was in the 1900 census for Robertson Co., TX, with all 7 of her children alive and living with her. All children of Katie and Jimmie were born in TX. (R‑3)
Children - Russell
+52. Zula Mae Russell, b. 24 Jan. 1884, m. James W. Arnold, 30 Jan. 1910, d. 6 May 1967.
+53. Charles Armstrong Russell, b. 28 Aug. 1886, m. Norma K. Wilcox, c. 1929.
+54. Willie Iola Russell, b. 19 Nov. 1888, m. Howard Monroe Donnell, d. July 1963.
+55. Jesse Baker Russell, b. 16 Oct. 1891, m. Goldie Lane, 10 Dec. 1917, d. 18 Dec. 1958.
+56. James Braxton Russell, b. 4 May 1894, m. Rebecca Adeline Coker, 25 May 1919, d. 13 July 1981.
+57. Lee Roy Russell, b. 4 May 1896, m. Luellen Christian, d. 16 Nov. 1979.
+58. Rhoda Arizona Russell, b. 29 July 1897, m. Homer Monroe Lane, 15 March 1918 d. 5 June 1997.
Samuel (“Sam”) Y. (or H.) Graves (31) was born in May 1867 or 1869 in Macon Co., AL. He married Mary Edna ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born in June 1869 in AL. They were in the 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses for Orange Co., TX. He was a laborer in a saw mill in 1900, a blacksmith in 1910, and a foreman in a lumber mill in 1920. All their children were born in TX. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
59. Pearl G. Graves, b. March 1893.
60. Raymond H. Graves, b. Jan. 1895.
61. Clarence O. Graves, b. Dec. 1897, m. Birdie ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1906 in TX. They were in the 1930 census for Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX, with no children. Not found in 1940 census.
62. Samuel Travis Graves, b.c. 1900. Living with his parents in the 1940 census for Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX, and listed as single.
63. Thelma L. Graves, b.c. 1905.
Elizabeth (“Bettie”) J. Graves (32) was born in March 1872 in Washington Co., TX, and died in Carter Co., OK. She married George W. Collard, son of James Harrison Collard and Julia Louise Robinson, in 1886. He was born in June 1858 in TX, and died in 1922 in Carter Co., OK. They were in the 1900 census for Ben Hur, Limestone Co., TX, when 5 of their 7 children were still living. They were in the 1910 census for Francis, Harmon Co., OK, when 7 of their 10 children were living. He was a farmer. At least their first 8 children were born in TX, and the last one in Oklahoma City, OK. (R‑3, R‑5)
Children - Collard
64. Clyde Collard, b. Sept. 1887, d. 3 March 1980 (Daviess Co., KY).
65. Ione M. Collard, b. Aug. 1890, m. Emerson Monroe. He was b. 1900 in NE.
66. child, b.c. 1892, d. before 1900.
67. child, b.c. 1894, d. before 1900.
68. Marie Kate Collard, b. 30 Jan. 1896, m(1) Emmett B. James, m(2) King J. Thomas, d. Dec. 1979 (Grants, Cibola Co., NM). He was b. 30 Aug. 1890 in TX, and d. Aug. 1975 in Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX. Emmett was b. 15 July 1898 in OK, and d. after 1919. 1 dau. of Marie and Emmett: Bettie Leone James, b. 30 March 1918 in Sentinel, OK, and d. 3 Feb. 1992 in San Joaquin, CA.
69. Bessie Collard, b. June 1898, d. 8 Nov. 1990 (Covina, Los Angeles Co., CA).
70. Malcolm K. Collard, b. 2 Nov. 1899 (Ben Hur, Limestone Co., TX), d. 8 Oct. 1930.
71. Leslie T. Collard (son), b.c. 1902.
72. child, b.c. 1904, d. before 1910.
73. Eva C. Collard, b.c. 1906.
Grover Cleveland Graves (33) was born 28 Sept. 1884 in Kosse, and died 25 Aug. 1963 in Mexia, both in Limestone Co., TX. He married Martha Matilda McFerrin, called Matilda, in Oct. 1913 in Mexia (although the 1930 census indicated they married about 1909). She was born 15 Aug. 1883 in AL, and died 27 Aug. 1967. They were both buried in Mexia City Cem., Section L, Mexia, Limestone Co., TX. They were in the 1920 and 1930 censuses for Mexia, TX. He was a laborer in 1920 and was unemployed in 1930. All their children were born in TX, probably all in Limestone Co.
Children - Graves
74. Ruby Lee Graves, b.c. 1908.
75. B. W. Graves (son), b.c. 1911.
76. Billie Marie Graves, b.c. 1916.
77. Alice Louise Graves, b.c. 1918.
78. Dolly Graves, b.c. 1920.
79. Ruth Graves, b.c. 1924.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 R‑5 states that she died in 1918 in Bosque Co., TX. However, if that was true, then they probably divorced, since his second marriage was in 1883.
 The Texas Marriage Index gives the marriage date as 28 Jan. 1883.
 The record at http://www.findagrave.com gives his date of birth as 28 Sept. 1886, which is presumably what is on his grave marker. However, Sept. 1884 is what is on the 1900 census, and the 1884 date appears to be the correct one.