Rev. 28 Oct. 1994, Gen. 311
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES AND ELIZABETH COLE
OF LANCASHIRE AND WESTMORLAND, ENGLAND
John Graves (1) was born about 1807 and died 29 Jan. 1867. The census for Underbarrow, Westmorland Co., England gives his birthplace as Ulverston or Osmotherly (a place near Ulverston), Lancashire. His stated age in the 1861 census for Underbarrow is 53, making his birth year around 1807-08. A search of the baptismal records for Ulverston has found no likely entries for John.
He married Elizabeth Cole, daughter of Arthur and Mary Cowill. She was baptized 7 Feb. 1813 at Broughton-in-Furness, and died 15 Jan. 1879.
John Graves was the census enumerator on 4 April 1851. He and his family lived at The Parsonage, Underbarrow.
He obtained his BA at St. Bees Theological College. He became vicar of Underbarrow in 1839 and officiated at his first baptism there on 10 March 1839. According to the Westmorland Directory, 1858, p. 28, the living is a perpetual curacy worth £90pa, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Kendal. Behind the alter in Underbarrow Church there is a stained glass window dedicated to John Graves. "In affectionate rememberance of the Rev. John Graves for 28 years curate of this parish who died on 29 Jan. 1867, aged 59. This window was inserted by his friends and parishoners AD1869." He was buried in the Churchyard. All his children were baptized in his church. (R-1)
Children - Graves
2. John Graves, b. 25 Sept. 1840, bapt. 12 Oct. 1840, m. Mary Sarah ------, c. 1845, d. 19 April 1874. He continued as curate of Underbarrow until his death.
3. Arthur Graves, bapt. 22 Oct. 1841.
4. Mary Graves, b. 23 Feb. 1843, bapt. 6 March 1843.
5. Thomas Graves, b. 13 Aug. 1845, bapt. 19 Sept. 1845.
6. Elizabeth Graves, b. 27 Aug. 1847, bapt. 3 Oct. 1847.
+7. Ferdinando Cole Graves, b. 19 July 1853, m. Constance Edith Ainslie, 7 Jan. 1891, d. July 1925.
8. Dorothy ("Dora") Graves, b. and bapt. 19 July 1853, probably m. ------ Harrison. Mr. Taylor's mother recalls her mother's cousins Robin Harrison and his sister Elizabeth Harrison. She believes they were Dorothy Graves' children, but she has no recollection of their father. Robin m. Winifred ------ and they had 2 sons, Arden Harrison and Harold Harrison. Elizabeth never married.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1) AND ELIZABETH COLE
Ferdinando Cole Graves (7) was born and baptized 19 July 1853 in Underbarrow, Westmorland Co., England, and died in July 1925. He was a twin of his sister Dora. They may have been baptized on their birthday because they were at risk, being twins. He married Constance Edith Ainslie on 7 Jan. 1891. She was born 18 Jan. 1853 and died 20 Nov. 1934. He obtained an MA in classics at Queens College, Oxford Univ., and became headmaster of a school in Chichester, probably Chichester Grammar School. He was a keen sportsman and fond of cricket. (R-1)
Children - Graves
9. Ainslie Graves, stillborn.
+10. Constance Ainslie Graves, b. 26 Aug. 1897, m. Edmund George Law, 23 Sept. 1922, d. 6 Oct. 1981.
CHILDREN OF FERDINANDO C. GRAVES (7) AND CONSTANCE E. AINSLIE
Constance Ainslie Graves (10) was born 26 Aug. 1897 and died 6 Oct. 1981. She married Edmund George Law on 23 Sept. 1922. He was born 2 Oct. 1893 and died 11 March 1972. (R-1)
Children - Law
+11. Clare Ainslie Law
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page