Rev. 5 Dec. 2006, Gen. 325
DESCENDANTS OF JACOB GRAVES AND MARY FRANCES DICKERSON
OF CAROLINE CO., VA
Jacob Graves (1) was born about 1826 in VA, and died 2 Aug. 1889. He may have first married Catherine ‑‑‑‑‑‑ He married Mary Frances Dickerson, daughter of ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Dickerson and Sidney Rawlings, probably about 1868-1871. She was born in Oct. 1845 in VA (according to the 1900 census), and died 10 Sept. 1923. They lived in Caroline Co., VA.
Information from R‑3 gives his name as John Jacob Graves and that of his second wife as Mary Elizabeth Rawlings (or Rollins).
He was in the 1850 census for Caroline Co., VA, 24, with Catherine Graves, 26, and Betty W. Pettis, 5. Also in the 1850 census for Caroline Co., VA was a household headed by William Graves, 43, with Sarah Graves, 60, Caroline Wright, 24, Elizabeth Graves, 21, Jane Graves, 17, John Wright, 19, James Graves, 42, and Carter Wright, 21. The 1860 census for Bowling Green, Caroline Co., VA, showed Jacob Graves, 34, with Catherine Graves, 35, and Louisa, Betty W., and Ophelia Pettis. Jacob couldn’t be found in the 1870 census. In the 1880 census for Bowling Green, Caroline Co., VA, he was listed, 42, with wife Mary, 26, and children Prescovy, Nora, and Aubrey. Mary was listed in the 1900 census for Bowling Green with children Aubrey and Sadie, and in the 1910 census for Bowling Green with son Aubrey. Mary and Aubrey were in the 1920 census for Port Royal, Caroline Co., VA, but neither of them could be found in the 1930 census.
The 1840 census for Caroline Co., VA listed 3 men who could have been the father of Jacob (based on a male of about Jacob’s age in the household), Ellis Graves Sr., William Graves (age 20-30), and William Graves (age 40-50). All 3 of these households had a female of about the age of the Sarah Graves in the 1850 census, so she could have been his mother. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Graves
+2. Prescovy Graves, b. Oct. 1872, m. Joseph Lemuel Samuels, c. 1890.
+3. Lucy Nora Graves, b. 10 March 1878, m. John Battle Whittaker, 30 Dec. 1896, d. 16 Dec. 1969.
4. Aubrey Graves, b. Jan. 1880, never married, d. 18 June 1927. He was living with his mother in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Bowling Green, Caroline Co., VA, and in the 1920 census for Port Royal, Caroline Co., VA.
+5. Sadie Scott Graves, b. 26 Nov. 1882, m. James Franklin Howard, 14 Nov. 1900.
+6. Annie B. Graves, b. April 1883, m. John C. Samuels, c. 1900.
CHILDREN OF JACOB GRAVES (1) AND MARY F. DICKERSON
Prescovy (“Covie”) Graves (2) was born in Oct. 1872 in VA. Various census records show her name as Press C., Presscovia, Prescovy, and Cura. She married Joseph Lemuel Samuels about 1890. He was born in May 1867 in VA. His middle name is uncertain, since his name was given as Lemuel by R‑1 and R‑2, but it is shown as Lynn (difficult to read) in the 1900 census, Joseph L. in 1910, and Joseph M. in 1920. He had apparently had a previous marriage and had one child by that marriage, Edgar B. Samuels. They were in the 1900 census for Port Royal, Caroline Co., VA, with his brother, John C., and his sister-in-law, Annie B. Samuels, living with them.. They were in the 1910 and 1920 censuses for Clay Ward, Richmond, VA. The spelling of the surname may have changed, since it was listed as Samuel in 1900 and Samuels in 1910 and 1920. He was a farmer. All their children were born in VA.
Children - Samuels
7. Edward G. Samuels, b. Dec. 1891.
8. Mary E. Samuels, b. May 1893.
9. Charles (“Charley”) B. Samuels, b. June 1895.
10. George Bradford Samuels, b. Sept. 1896.
11. Inez I. Samuels, b. Oct. 1899.
12. Blanche Nora Samuels, b.c. 1903.
13. Bernard H. Samuels, b.c. 1905.
14. William Earl Samuels, b.c. 1907.
15. Herbert H. Samuels, b.c. 1912.
Lucy Nora Graves (3), possibly called Nora, was born 10 March 1878 in Bowling Green, Caroline Co., VA, and died 16 Dec. 1969 (or 19 Dec. 1970) in Fredericksburg, VA. She married John Battle Whittaker (or Whitaker) (possibly called Battle) on 30 Dec. 1896 in Bowling Green, VA. He was born 9 Sept. 1871 in Bowling Green, Caroline Co., VA, and died 2 Feb. 1947 in Washington, DC. They were in the 1920 census for Port Royal, Caroline Co., VA. He was a farmer. All their children were born in VA, their first 5 in Bowling Green, Caroline Co., the next 4 in Ruther Glen (McDuff), Caroline Co., Raymond in Glen Allen, Henrico Co., and William in Guennia (?), Caroline Co., VA. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Whittaker
+16. Carroll Gaye Whittaker, b. 19 Jan. 1898, m. Rachel Agnes Wilton, 2 Dec. 1922, d. 24 Nov. 1980.
+17. Lelia Belle Whittaker, b. 2 July 1899, m. Bennie James Butts, 31 July 1920.
18. Ernest Battle Whittaker, b. 9 July 1901, m. Frances Elizabeth Burkholder, 12 July 1926 (Pittsburgh, PA), d. 20 April 1943 (Pittsburgh, PA). She was b. 21 (or 28) Sept. 1901 in Pittsburgh, PA or Martinsburg, WV. No children.
+19. Florence May Whittaker, b. 6 Jan. 1904, m. Ennis Mills, 26 Oct. 1925, d. 3 Jan. 1957.
20. Eddie Lee Whittaker, b. 19 July 1906. Disappeared in Washington, DC in 1943. No children.
+21. Annie Pearl Whittaker, b. 16 Aug. 1909, m(1) William Tatum Spindle, 10 Oct. 1931, m(2) Stephen Norris White, 25 Jan. 1958, d. 2005.
+22. Viola Graves Whittaker, b. 27 Sept. 1911, m. Lloyd Wayne Miller, 22 Aug. 1936, d. 5 March 2000.
23. Alta Gladys Whittaker
+24. Mildred Ann Whittaker
+25. Raymond Boise Whittaker
26. William Luther Whittaker, b. 25 Feb. 1923, m. Peggy Lorraine Futrell, 4 Sept. 1947 (Fredericksburg, VA), d. 7 July 1993.
Sadie Scott Graves (5) was born 26 Nov. 1881 in VA. She married James Franklin Howard on 14 Nov. 1900. He was born 17 April 1872 and died 25 Dec. 1927. (R‑1)
Children - Howard
+27. James Fred Howard, b. 21 Jan. 1902, m(1) Laura Kelly, m(2) Ruby ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 21 March 1982.
+28. Mary Estelle Howard, b. 9 Jan. 1904, m. John Little, 1920.
29. Pearl Ruth Howard, b. 28 April 1906, m. John Mikelawson, d. 21 Nov. 1993. No children.
+30. Aubrey Pearman Howard, b. 3 April 1908, m. Katherine Longest.
+31. Grace Louise Howard, b. 10 Aug. 1910, m. Edward Lee Denton, 19 Aug. 1933, d. 19 Aug. 1987.
32. Lloyd T. Howard, b. 14 Feb. 1912, m. Zelma Walsh. No children.
+33. Ethel May Howard, b. 23 Sept. 1918, m. Stanley Thompson.
Annie B. Graves (6) was born in April 1883 (according to the 1900 census) in VA. She married John C. Samuels about 1890. He was born about 1870-1875 in VA. They were in the 1910 and 1920 censuses for Port Royal, Caroline Co., VA, and the surname was spelled Samuel in both. He was a farmer. All their children were born in VA. (R‑2)
Children - Samuels
34. Minnie Samuels, b.c. 1902, m. Frank Howard.
35. Peter Pierman Samuels, b.c. 1904.
36. Clarence Samuels, b.c. 1907.
37. Percy Samuels, b.c. 1910.
38. Russell (or Charles) Samuels, b.c. 1913.
39. Aubrey (or Clifton) Samuels, b.c. 1915.
40. Beatrice Samuels, b.c. 1917.
41. Ethel (or Laura) Samuels, b.c. 1919.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 Her date of birth was given as 26 Nov. 1882 by R‑1, but the 1900 census gives the date as Nov. 1881. The 1881 date seems more likely, since her younger sister’s date of birth is given by the 1900 census as April 1883.