Rev. 1 Feb. 1995, Gen. 328
DESCENDANTS OF ELIZABETH GREAVES AND JOSEPH SMITH
OF BIRMINGHAM, WARWICK CO., ENGLAND
Elizabeth Greaves (1) was probably born in 1770, since there was a record in the IGI for an Elizabeth Greaves baptized 2 April 1770 at St. Martin's, Birmingham, Warwick Co., England (given, apparently incorrectly, as about 1790 in LDS Ancestral File). In one record in the IGI, the parents were listed as Thomas Greaves and Mary, and in another record in the IGI no parents were listed but a relative was Arthur Peudry, Welchman. She married Joseph Smith on 1 Feb. 1798 at St. Martin's, Birmingham. The marriage was witnessed by Austin Greaves, perhaps an older brother, and Mary Smith. Elizabeth, Austin and Mary all signed their names with an x. Joseph was probably born about 1770, although the Ancestral File says 1786.
In the IGI was another record of Elizabeth Greaves of St. Martin, Birmingham, England with spouse Joseph Smith, giving her birth as about 1777. There is also a record in the IGI for an Elizabeth Greaves baptized 28 April 1786 at St. Martin, Birmingham, with parents Samuel Greaves and Margaret, but it is unlikely that this is the correct Elizabeth, considering that she would have been only 13 at marriage.
The IGI has a record of an Austin Greaves, born about 1770, of St. Martin's, Birmingham. There is also a record of the baptism 1 Oct. 1807 of an Austin Greaves, son of Austin Greaves and Frances. Austin Greaves, bapt. 1807, may have been the son of the Austin born about 1770, and possibly a nephew of Elizabeth Greaves.
Children - Smith
+2. Sallie Smith, b.c. 1812, m. Daniel Stephens, d.c. 1881.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH GREAVES (1) AND JOSEPH SMITH
Sallie Smith (2) was born about 1812 and died about 1881 in England. She married Daniel Stephens. He was born about 1810 in England. All their children were born in England, at least the last 3 at Affmore Lane, Birmingham.
Children - Stephens
3. Marie Stephens, b.c. 1832.
4. Matilda Stephens, b.c. 1834.
+5. Elizabeth Stephens, b. 6 April 1836, m. Philip Hadley, d. 9 March 1890.
6. Maria Stephens, b.c. 1838.
7. Hannah Stephens, b.c. 1840.
CHILDREN OF SALLIE SMITH (2) AND DANIEL STEPHENS
Elizabeth Stephens (5) was born 6 April 1836 at Affmore Lane, Birmingham, England, died 9 March 1890 in MO, and was buried in the Ellis Prairie Cem., Texas Co., MO, near Licking, Houston and Success, MO. She was named for her grandmother. She married Philip Hadley. He was born 7 March 1828 in Birmingham. The family left England 20 Nov. 1868 to go to the U.S.A. They settled in the Ozarks of MO. (R-1)
Children - Hadley
8. Philip Hadley, Jr., b. 1858 (Birmingham, England).
9. son, b. 1859 (Birmingham, England).
10. daughter, b. 1860 (Birmingham, England).
+11. George Edward Hadley, b. 24 Dec. 1861, m. Cora Belle Malone.
12. Elizabeth Ann Hadley, b. 26 Oct. 1863 (?) (Birmingham, England), m. James Riden Blankenship. He was b.c. 1863.
13. Halena Hadley, b. 7 May 1867 (Newport, Monmouth Co., South Wales), m. William Henry Malone. He was b. 18 July 1869 in Cookeville, Putnam Co., TN.
14. Sarah Jane Hadley, b. 26 Sept. 1871 (Ellis Prairie, MO), m. Charles Albert Ritz. He was b.c. 1871.
CHILDREN OF ELIZABETH STEPHENS (5) AND PHILIP HADLEY
George Edward Hadley (11) was born 24 Dec. 1861 in Bromsgrove, South Stafford, England. He married Cora Belle Malone. She was born 16 March 1872 in Cookeville, Putnam Co., TN. At least their first 4 children were born in Licking, Texas Co., MO.
Children - Hadley
15. Nellie Gertrude Hadley, b. 27 June 1894, m. William Joshua Ricks. He was b.c. 1894.
16. James Herschel Hadley, b. 18 Nov. 1896.
17. Arnold Edward Hadley, b. 16 Oct. 1900.
18. Ira Lawrence Hadley, b. 23 Sept. 1902, married.
19. child, married.
20. Alice Mabel Hadley
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page