Rev. 18 Sept. 2011, Gen. 403
DESCENDANTS OF HENRY GRAVES AND CATHERINE DUFFY OF IRELAND, IL & MN
Henry Graves (1) was born about 1835 in Ireland (in what later became Northern Ireland), and died 27 May 1897 in Hazelwood, MN. He married Catherine (or Katherine) Duffy, daughter of Bernard Duffy and Catherine McShane, on 9 Sept. 1858. She was born in 1835 in Ireland (in what later became the Irish Free State), died in 1907 in Webster, Rice Co., MN, and was buried in Annunciation Cem., Hazelwood, Rice Co., MN. They were in the 1860 census for Macon, Bureau Co., IL, Neponset P.O., with him listed as railroad laborer. Living with them was James Duffy, born in Ireland, 30, also a railroad laborer. The 1870 census for Webster, Rice Co., MN, page 590, listed Henry as a farmer. The 1880 census for Webster, Rice Co., MN listed Henry as a farmer, with all children except George still in the household. The 1900 census for Webster Twp., Rice Co., MN showed Catherine (listed as Katharina) as head of household, widow, 9 or her 11 children still living, and son Henry living with her. The first 7 children were born in IL and the others in MN. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
2. George Graves, b.c. 1858.
3. Mary A. Graves, b.c. 1859, probably died before 1870 (since she was not in the 1870 census).
+4. James Stephen Graves, b.c. 1861, m(1) Mary Gertrude Corrigan, c. 1894, m(2) Olive Wiggins, c. 1907, d. 14 Dec. 1942.
5. Margaret Graves, b.c. 1863.
+6. Francis Martin Graves, b. 9 Jan. 1866, m. Barbara Bernadette Mauer, d. 26 Dec. 1943.
+7. John A. Graves, b.c. 1866 (or 1868), m. Helen A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
8. Catherine (or Katherine) Graves, b.c. 1868 (or 1869).
9. Sarah Graves, b.c. 1870, probably died before 1880 (since she was not in the 1880 census).
10. Eliza Graves, b.c. 1871.
11. Ellen Graves, b.c. 1873.
12. Henry Graves, b. 3 Oct. 1874 (Webster, Rice Co., MN). The 1900 census shows him born Aug. 1877.
13. Thomas Lee Graves, b. 12 July 1878, d. 12 Sept. 1958 (Hennepin, MN).
CHILDREN OF HENRY GRAVES (1) AND CATHERINE DUFFY
James Stephen Graves (4) was born about 1861 (or 26 Oct. 1863) in IL, died 14 Dec. 1942 in St. Louis Co., MN, and was buried in Waverly, MN. According to R‑1, his middle name was Clarus, not Stephen. He first married Mary Gertrude (or Gertrude Mary) Corrigan, daughter of Peter Corrigan and Ann Cleary, on 2 June 1886 in Credit River, Scott Co., MN. She was born in May 1866 in MN, and died in 1906 in MN, killed in a train accident while pregnant. They were in the 1900 census for Howard Lake Village, Wright Co., MN, when 7 of her 8 children were living.
He married second Olive Wiggins about 1907 in MN. She was born 12 May 1876 in WI. Both her parents were born in Norway. The 1910 census for Ward 1, Duluth, St. Louis Co., MN, page 87B, showed this as his second marriage and her first, and listed 5 children by his first wife, all born in MN. They were in the 1920 census for Duluth, St. Louis Co., MN, with Alice and Mark still living with them. Another child, Cletus Peter Graves, was listed by R‑2 but not by R‑1, and he has not been found in any census record. James Graves prospered as a very successful grain elevator operator. His death certificate says that he was a retired general manager of Capitol Elevator Co. All their children were born in MN. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children - Graves, by Mary G. Corrigan
14. James H. Graves, b. March 1888.
+15. Hollis F. Graves, b. Oct. 1889, m. Mary M. Schweyn.
+16. Marie Josephine Graves, b. 19 April 1893, m. William A. Rice, June 1914, d. 20 Sept. 1970.
17. Rev.) Clarus J. Graves, b. 14 Feb. 1895, d. 16 April 1966 (Stearns, MN).
18. Raphael (or Rayfield) Hollis (or M.) Graves, b. March 1896.
19. Alice M. Graves, b. June 1897.
20. Mark L. Graves, b. Aug. 1898, m. Ada Emma Raether. She was b. 16 Sept. 1899 in WI, and d. 1996 in Maricopa Co., AZ, dau. of Otto Albert Raether and Ida G. Karow. 1 daughter.
Francis (“Frank”) Martin Graves (6) was born 9 Jan. 1866 in Galesburg, Knox Co., IL, and died 26 Dec. 1943 in St. Peter, Nicollet Co., MN. He married Barbara Bernadette Mauer. She was born 8 Feb. 1879 in St. Cloud, MN, and died 23 June 1953 in St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN. Both their children were born in St. Paul, MN. (R‑3)
Children - Graves
21. Francis Joseph Graves, b. 1 July 1915, d. 8 Dec. 1969 (Tucson, AZ).
22. Bernadette Marie Graves, b. 26 Aug. 1912, m. Donald William Colburn, Sept. 1942 (St. James Church, St. Paul, MN), d. 8 July 1999 (Lakeland, MN). He was b. 14 Aug. 1917 and d. 7 April 1999, both in St. Paul, MN.
John A. Graves (7) was born about 1868 (or 1866) in IL. He married Helen A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born in March 1876 in WI. They were in the 1920 census for St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN, with their 3 youngest children. They were in the 1930 census for St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN, with their 2 youngest children, Edward and Howard. He was an electrician for the railroad. (R‑4)
Children - Graves
23. Harold John Graves, b. 16 March 1899.
24. Raymond H. Graves, b.c. 1902, m. Clara ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1908 in MN. They were in the 1930 census for St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN, with her father John Asen (?), and her brother George Asen (?), living with them. Raymond was a salesman for a bakery company.
25. Edward L. Graves, b.c. 1907.
26. Howard James Graves, b. 15 July 1909, m. Eleanor Ferland, d. 29 Oct. 2000. She was b.c. 1918 and d. 2007.
CHILDREN OF JAMES S. GRAVES (4) AND MARY G. CORRIGAN
Hollis F. Graves (15) was born in Oct. 1889 in MN. He married Mary M. Schweyn. She was born in 1895 in MN. They were in the 1930 census for Duluth, St. Louis Co., MN, when he was superintendent of a grain elevator. Their first son was born in ND and the other two in MN. (R‑3, R‑4)
Children - Graves
27. James S. Graves, b.c. 1916, d. 27 Oct. 1986 (MN).
+28. Hollis Francis Graves, b. 11 July 1917, m. Josephine Joanne Jazdzewski, d. 12 March 2005.
29. John E. Graves, b.c. 1919.
Marie Josephine Graves (16) was born 19 April 1895, and died 20 Sept. 1970 in Bemidji, Beltrami Co., MN. She married William A. Rice, son of William H. Rice and Mary M. Heine, in June 1914. He was born 3 June 1891 in Iowa, and died 18 Feb. 1959 in Beltrami Co., MN. (R‑3)
Children - Rice
+30. Clarice Medora Rice, b. 23 March 1915, m. Ubs Olson, 1944, d. 10 March 1969.
+31. William Anthony Rice II, b. 29 May 1916, m. Inez Marion Moon, 29 Dec. 1940, d. 26 June 1991.
+32. Mary Elizabeth Rice, b. 4 Aug. 1917, m. William Myron Fellows, 25 March 1940, d. 1 June 2008.
+33. John Meredith Rice, b. 5 Nov. 1918, m. Margaret Mary Beckley, 13 Dec. 1944, d. 3 July 2006.
+34. Margaret Alice Rice, b. 25 Oct. 1921, m. Paul Brunton, d. 22 March 2010.
+35. Clarus W. Rice, b. 30 March 1924, m. Dorothy Walker, 1948.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 The information that Henry was born in what became Northern Ireland and Catherine was born in what became the Irish Free State and eventually the Republic of Ireland is from the 1930 census record of the son John A. Graves.
 The 1900 census lists her as born Aug. 1839.
 His birth and death dates, his name, and the names of his parents, are all given on his death certificate in MN.
 According to the 1900 census.
 Her date of birth was given as 19 April 1895 by R‑3, but that is very unlikely because of her brother Clarus born 14 Feb. 1895. Her birth date is given as April 1893 in the 1900 census.
 His death record gives his date of birth as 14 Feb. 1895, and the 1900 census gives it as Feb. 1895.