Rev. 10 April 2012, Gen. 407
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES GREAVES AND MARY BARCROFT OF BACUP, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
James Greaves (1) was born in 1782 in Lancashire, died in Oct. 1849 in Bacup, Lancashire, and was buried 15 Oct 1849 at St John's, Bacup, Lancashire. He married Mary Barcroft on 25 Oct. 1802 in St. Nicholas, Newchurch, Rossendale, Lancashire. She was born in 1782 in Lancashire. Mary was baptised at the age of 42. This may mean she will not appear anywhere in the baptism registers as a child.
James is shown as being of the Parish of Rochdale at marriage, whilst Mary is of this Chapelry. Rochdale is very close, but it will be necessary to check the Parish boundaries as James may have been born in Rochdale itself, or equally a nextdoor village to Bacup.
In 1804 their address is shown as Top of Huttock, Tong. In 1841 he was listed as woolen weaver. Their residence 1841–1849 was Stubby Lee, Spotland, Lancashire.
Evidence for James and Mary Greaves being the parents of John Greaves is based on the fact that of the 2 John Greaveses born and baptised in Bacup in 1805/06, their son survived, whilst the other died as a child. After that connection the evidence is clear.
Headstones exist at St John's Bacup for:
Sarah Greaves, died 1816 aged 6 months.
Mr James Greaves, Husband of Mary
Mrs Mary Greaves wife of James
Mary Greaves, died Friday November 2 1838, aged 27. Born in the year 1811. Daughter of James and Mary. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
2. Anne Greaves, b.c. 1803 (Tong, Bacup, Lancs.), bapt. 8 May 1803 (St. John’s, Bacup, Lancs.).
3. James Greaves, b.c. 1804.
+4. John Greaves, b.c. 1806, m. Fanny Wright.
5. Betty Greaves, b.c. 1809 (Lower Tong, Lancs.), bapt. 25 May 1809 (St. John’s, Bacup, Lancs.).
6. Mary Greaves
CHILDREN OF JAMES GRAVES (1) AND MARY BARCROFT
John Greaves (4) was born about 1805-1806 in Whalley, Lancashire, England. He married Fanny ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1805 in Cowsby, Yorkshire. They were one of several Greaves families living in Bacup, Lancashire who are presumably all related. Their children were all baptised at St. John the Evangelist Church, Bacup. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
7. Hannah Greaves, bapt. 7 Jan. 1833.
+8. William Greaves, b. 2 Dec. 1833, m(1) Margaret ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Hannah Holgate, 13 Sept. 1860, m(3) Mary Ellen Jones, 11 Dec. 1881.
9. Mary Greaves, bapt. 4 April 1836. Cotton weaver per 1851 census.
10. George Greaves, bapt. 21 Jan. 1839. Cotton weaver per 1851 census.
11. Anna Maria Greaves, bapt. 2 May 1841.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GREAVES (1) AND FANNY ------
William Greaves (8) was born 2 Dec. 1833, and was baptised 30 Dec. 1833 in Bacup, Lancashire, England. He was living in Rochdale, Lancs in 1860, in Bootle, Liverpool, Lancs in 1871, in Facit near Bacup in 1881 and 1891, and in Altrincham, Cheshire in 1901. He first married Margaret ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They had no known children. He was listed as a cotton weaver in the 1851 census.
He married second Hannah Holgate on 13 Sept. 1860 in St. Peter’s Church, Rochdale, Lancashire, England. She had died by 1881, since William was listed as a widower in the 1881 census.
Rochdale is now part of Greater Manchester, about 10 miles north of Manchester. It is interesting to note that it is also on the direct route between Leeds and Liverpool, about halfway between the two cities, 30 miles to either one. This raises the possibility that the Greaves families that settled in New Bedford, MA and vicinity may have been related in England more closely than they realize. Perhaps William Graves was from Leeds, got married in Rochdale, eventually moved to Liverpool, and from there some of his family sailed for the U.S. (The other Greaves family from Leeds that settled in New Bedford, MA was Joseph Greaves of Leeds (gen. 660). Other families that lived in Leeds and might be related are Joshua Greaves and Ann Hopwood (gen. 33) and William Greaves of Greenhill, Norton (gen. 336).)
William Greaves married third Mary Ellen Jones on 11 Dec. 1881 at Dunham Road (Unitarian) Chapel, Altrincham, Cheshire.
All children of William were born in England. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Greaves, by Hannah Holgate
+12. Charles Wright Greaves, bapt. 22 Sept. 1861, m. Betsy Howorth, 20 Aug. 1890.
13. John William Greaves, b. 1863, bapt. 30 Aug. 1863 (St. Chad’s, Rochdale), d. England.
+14. Frederick Holgate Greaves, b.c. 1865, m. Alice Howarth.
+15. Walter Waddington Greaves, b. 15 July 1867, m(1) Sarah Alice Starkey, 1893, m(2) Mary Ellen Starkey, c. 1915, d. 15 July 1945.
+16. James Henry Greaves, b. 20 July 1871, m. Hannah Clegg.
17. Leonard Howarth Greaves, b. 1871.
Children - Greaves, by Mary E. Jones
18. Richard Brogden Greaves, b.c. 1887.
+19. Fanny Mary Greaves, b. 4 June 1889, m. Henry Dickinson, 9 Oct. 1913, d. 11 Sept. 1949.
+20. Nathan Jones Greaves, b. Oct.-Dec. 1893, m. Leah ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GREAVES (8)
Charles Wright Greaves (12) was born in 1861 in England, was baptized 22 Sept. 1861 in St. Chads Parish Church, Rochdale, Lancashire, and died in England. He married Betsy Howorth, daughter of William Howorth and Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 20 Aug. 1890 in St. John’s Church, Facit, Whitworth, Lancashire. She was born in 1867 in Facit, Whitworth, Lancashire. Charles was a cotton weaver in 1881. Their daughters were born in Rishton, Lancashire, and were baptized in Rishton Parish Church. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Greaves
22. Annie Elizabeth Greaves, b. 30 April 1898, bapt. 5 June 1898.
23. Doris Greaves, b. 4 Dec. 1900, bapt. 20 Jan. 1901.
Frederick Holgate Greaves (14) was born about 1865 in Bootle, Lancashire, was baptized 19 Jan. 1868 in St. Peter, Liverpool, Lancs., England, and died after 1901 in the U.S. He married Alice Howarth, daughter of Charles Howarth, between 1884 and 1891. She was born in 1864 in Rochdale, Lancashire. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Greaves
24. Agnes Greaves, b. 1893 (Rochdale, Lancs.).
25. Charles W. Greaves, b. 1895 (Rishton, Lancs.).
Walter Waddington Greaves (15) was born 15 July 1867 in Bootle, Lancashire, was baptized 19 Jan. 1868 in St. Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, and died 15 July 1945 in New Bedford, MA. He first married Sarah Alice Starkey in 1893. She was born about 25 Jan. 1869 in England, and died 9 Sept. 1913 in New Bedford, MA. He married second Mary Ellen Starkey about 1915. She was born about 1872 in England, and died 19 Sept. 1944 in New Bedford, MA. Walter emigrated in 1889 (per 1920 U.S. census), and immigration records indicate he arrived 12 Aug. 1889 in New York City aboard the White Star Line ship “Celtic”. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Greaves, by Sarah A. Starkey
26. John Frances Greaves, d. before 1910.
+27. William Henry Greaves, b. 1896, m. Sarah A. Fisher, d. 3 April 1980.
+28. Hannah Greaves, b. 1898, m. Robert Barrows.
+29. James Leonard Greaves, b. 1900, m. Esther Johnson, c. 1930.
+30. Charles Frederick Greaves, b.c. 15 June 1901, m. Mary McLoughlin, d. 25 May 1985.
+31. Walter Lester Greaves, b. 1906, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
32. Elizabeth Alice Greaves, b. 14 Aug. 1907, d. 27 Aug. 1937 (New Bedford, MA).
33. daughter, b. 9 Sept. 1913.
James Henry Greaves (16) was born 20 July 1871 in Bootle, Lancashire, was baptized 8 Oct. 1871 in St. Peter, Liverpool, England, m. Hannah Clegg, d. England. She was b. 7 April 1874 in Hopwood, Lancashire. All their children were born in Rishton and baptized in the Rishton Parish Church, Rishton, Lancashire. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
34. Walter H. Greaves, b. 1895.
35. Hannah Greaves, b. 23 Feb. 1897, bapt. 28 April 1897.
36. Joseph Henry Greaves, b. 9 Jan. 1906, bapt. 18 Feb. 1906.
Fanny Mary Greaves (19) was born 4 June 1889 at 3, Meadow Cottages, Facit, Whitworth, Lancashire, and died 11 Sept. 1949 at 25,Commercial Street, Rishton, Lancashire. She married Henry Dickinson, son of Swithin Dickinson and Elizabeth Hartley, on 9 Oct. 1913 in Rishton Parish Church, Rishton, Lancashire. He was born 5 Sept. 1874 in Oswaldthistle, Lancashire, was baptized 15 Sept. 1874 in St. Immanuel, Oswaldthistle, died 18 May 1930, and was buried 22 May 1930 in Great Harwood Cem., Great Harwood, Lancashire. All their children were born in Rishton, Lancashire. (R‑2)
Children - Dickinson
37. Leonard Dickinson, b. 11 June 1915, bapt. 27 June 1915 (Rishton Parish Church), m. Elizabeth Alice Braysford, 1943 (St. Paul’s Church, Oswaldthistle, Lancs.), d. 24 May 2002 (The Hollies, Clayton le Moors, Lancs.). Bur. 29 May 2002 in Great Harwood Cem., Great Harwood, Lancs. She was b. 1915, d. 14 Sept. 1999 in Blackburn, Lancs., and was bur. 21 Sept. 1999 in Great Harwood Cem.
38. Harold Dickinson, b. 18 Aug. 1916, bapt. 3 Sept. 1916 (Rishton Parish Church), d.c. 1917.
39. Selina (“Lena”) Ellen Dickinson, b. 21 July 1918 (31, Commercial Street, Rishton, Lancs.), m. Maurice Mitchell, 7 Oct. 1939 (Rishton Parish Church), d. 25 Dec. 2002 (Blackburn, Lancs.). Bur. 7 Jan. 2003 in Pleasington Cem., Pleasington, Blackburn, Lancs. He was b. 21 Oct. 1910 at 6, Clarke Street, Rishton, Lancs., and d. 30 Jan. 1968 in Blackburn, Lancs.
Nathan Jones Greaves (20) was born in the Oct.-Dec. quarter of 1893 in Rochdale, Lancashire. He married Leah ‑‑‑‑‑‑. On the death of his parents, Nathan went to live in Bacup with relatives. He was in the 1911 census for Bacup, Lancashire, living with James and Frances Halstead. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
40. Fanny Greaves
41. Mary Greaves, m. Roy Coupe. 4 sons.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page