Rev. 23 Oct. 2006, Gen. 563
DESCENDANTS OF BENJAMIN GREAVES AND MARY BRAMMER
OF ROTHERHAM, YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
Benjamin Greaves (1) was born about 1791 (or 1789) in Rotherham, Yorkshire, England. He married Mary Brammer on 28 Feb. 1814. She was born about 1791 in Yorkshire, and had apparently died by 1851. They were in the 1841 census for Rotherham, Yorkshire, when Benjamin was a town crier. He was in the 1851 census for Rotherham, with only son Jonas in his household. In addition to the children listed below, there may have been others.
Children - Greaves
2. William Greaves, b.c. 1821.
+3. Jonas Greaves, b.c. 1823, m. Elesabella (or Elizabeth ?) ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
4. Annis Greaves, b.c. 1826.
+5. Henry Greaves, b.c. 1835, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, before 1865, m(2) Margaret Gilroy, 1865, m(3) Anna Rodgers, 5 March 1867, d. 1893.
CHILDREN OF BENJAMIN GREAVES (1) AND MARY BRAMMER
Jonas Greaves (3) was born about 1823 in Rotherham, Yorkshire. He married Elesabella (or Elizabeth ?) ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1831 in Rotherham, Yorkshire. Jonas was in the 1861 census for Rotherham, listed as married, but with no wife or children with him. They were in the 1871 census for Rotherham, Yorkshire. He was a labourer. The last 2 children were in the 1881 census for Rotherham, living with their brother Benjamin. All their children were born in Rotherham.
Children - Greaves
+6. Benjamin Greaves, b.c. 1857, m(1) Gertrude ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
7. Mary Greaves, b.c. 1858.
8. Valentine Greaves, b.c. 1864, m. Charlotte ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1855 in Rotherham. She had first been married to Mr. Unwin, and probably had at least 2 children by him, Amelia Unwin, b.c. 1874, and Mary Unwin, b.c. 1885. They were in the 1891 and 1901 censuses for Rotherham, Yorkshire.
9. Barbara Greaves, b.c. 1867.
10. Catherine Greaves, b.c. 1870.
11. Sarah E. Graves, b.c. 1872.
12. Kate M. Greaves, b.c. 1877.
Henry ("Harry") Greaves (5) was born about 1835 in England, was from Yorkshire, England (the Sheffield, Rotherham, Ecclesfield area), and died 1893 in Beaver Falls, Beaver Co., PA (northwest of Pittsburgh, close to the Ohio state line). According to family legend, his father was a doctor, lived to be 117, and died in England, falling off a buggy (or in a crash), and his mother lived to be over 100 and died from falling off a porch or falling down stairs in England. It appears that his parents were Benjamin Greaves and Mary Brammer.
He was married three times while still young. His first marriage was before 1865, not known whether in England or in the U.S. He married second Margarett Gilroy of Ireland in 1865 in Manchester, NH. He married third Anna (or Ann or Anne) Rodgers (or Rogers) of Ireland on 5 March 1867 in Lowell, Middlesex Co., MA. She was born in 1832, was from Ginnegal, Ireland, and died in 1907 in Beaver Falls, PA. They were both buried in Beaver Falls. His tombstone says Harry Greaves and hers says Anna Rodgers Greaves.
Anna had a sister Sarah Rodgers who married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Gallagher, and probably a sister Alice Rodgers. Anna owned a candy store in Beaver Falls, PA. Anna and Harry lived in Manchester, NH before moving to Beaver Falls. Mary Ann was born in either MA or Manchester, NH, Alice and Sarah were born in Manchester, NH, and Jack and Harry were born in PA, probably in Beaver Falls.
There is no absolute proof that the Henry Greaves listed as a 6-year-old son of Benjamin Greaves in the 1841 census for Rotherham, Yorkshire, is the one who emigrated to the U.S. However, that one is the only person who matches the family stories.
Henry has not been found in U.S. census records. The family was found in the 1900 census for Beaver Falls, Beaver Co., PA, 1603 First Ave., surname spelled Greeves, with Anna as head of household, children John, Annis and Harry, and granddaughter Mary Vilette, born Dec. 1895 in PA. She had a small candy store, and all 3 sons worked in a glass factory.
It is interesting that there was a Henry Greaves, born June 1840 in England, working in a file shop or as a saw maker, in the 1880 and 1900 censuses for Beaver Falls, Beaver Co., PA. He had a wife Mary, and at least 8 children. Could there be any connection between the two men? (R‑1)
Children - Greaves, by Anna Rodgers
+13. Mary Ann Greaves, b.c. 1872, m. Peter S. Doyle, c. 1893.
+14. Alice Greaves, b. 1874, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brown, m(2) John Samuel Brilhart, d. 1958.
+15. Sarah J. Greaves, b. 1875, m. George C. Brown, d. 1967.
16. John B. ("Jack") Greaves, b.c. 1880 (or Dec. 1875), m. Rachel Belle ‑‑‑‑‑‑. Adopted one child, Dolores, b.c. 1913 in PA. They were in the 1910 census for White Twp., Beaver Co., PA, and in the 1920 census for Beaver Falls, Beaver Co., PA. He was in the 1930 census for Beaver Falls, 50, widower, still working in a glass factory.
17. Harry Greaves, b. 1884, m. Ida McGraw (?). She was b.c. 1882 in OH. No children. They were in the 1920 census for Big Beaver Twp., Beaver Co., PA, and 1930 census for Beaver Falls, Beaver Co., PA.
CHILDREN OF JONAS GREAVES (3) AND ELESABELLA ------
Benjamin Greaves (6) was born about 1857 in Rotherham, Yorkshire. He first married Gertrude ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1859 in Hull, Yorkshire. They were in the 1881 and 1891 censuses for Rotherham, Yorkshire. Rawcliffe may have been her maiden name since, in 1881, they were both listed with the middle name of Rawcliffe. He married second Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1870 in Peterboro, Northampton, England. They were in the 1901 census for Rotherham, Yorkshire. Her maiden name was probably Sellars since, in the 1901 census, Herbert H. Sellars, brother, born Newark, Notts., was living with them. He was a brass finisher. All his children were born in Rotherham.
Children - Greaves, by Gertrude ------
18. Alfred Greaves, b.c. 1884.
Children - Greaves, by Elizabeth ------
19. Florence Greaves, b.c. 1894.
20. Ethel Greaves, b.c. 1896.
21. Sydney Greaves, b.c. 1898.
22. Lily Greaves, b. 1901.
CHILDREN OF HENRY GREAVES (5) AND ANNA RODGERS
Mary Ann Greaves (13) was born about 1872 in MA. She married Peter S. (“Pete”) Doyle about 1893. He was born about 1871 in NY. Both his parents were born in Ireland. They were in the 1910 census for Beaver Falls, Ward 5, Beaver Co., PA. He was a laborer. All their children were born in PA. (R‑1)
Children - Doyle
23. James H. (“Jim”) Doyle, b.c. 1899.
24. Annie C. Doyle, b.c. 1900, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Stanyard.
25. Margaret E. Doyle, b.c. 1902, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Cumberledge.
26. Mary Doyle, b.c. 1905.
Alice (or Annis or Hannis) Greaves (14) was born in 1874 in Manchester, NH, and died in 1958. She may have first married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brown, although it is possible they did not marry. She married second John Samuel Brilhart. He was born in 1875 and died in 1952. She was in the 1910 census for Hartley Twp., Union Co., PA, listed as a widow, with daughters Verna, 5, and Esther, 3. (Why was she listed as a widow in 1910 if she had one more Brilhart child in 1911? Was that child by another man?) (R‑1)
Children - Brown/Greaves
27. Violet Greaves, b. 1895, m(1) John Behm, m(2) John Rozalis, d. 1971.
Children - Brilhart
28. Verna Brilhart, b.c. 1905.
29. Esther Irene Brilhart, b. 1907, m(1) Walter Scott, m(2) Donald Boyd Evison, d. 1981. Donald was b. 1900 and d. 1976.
30. Theodore Brilhart, b. 1911, d. 1980.
Sarah J. Greaves (15) was born about 1877 in Manchester, NH. She married George C. Brown about 1895. He was born about 1875 in PA. Both his parents were born in Germany. They were in the 1910 and 1920 censuses for Beaver Falls, Ward 3, Beaver Co., PA, living at 1409 Second Ave. He was a glass blower. All their children were born in PA. (R‑1)
Children - Brown
31. William ("Willy") H. Brown, b.c. 1898.
32. Lena M. Brown, b.c. 1902, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Goll.
33. Alice L. Brown, b.c. 1906, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Shrum.
34. Clara G. (“Clair”) Brown, b.c. 1908, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Hobaugh.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page