Rev. 3 Nov. 1997, Gen. 575
DESCENDANTS OF STEPHEN GRAVES AND EMMA WALL
OF SC, PIKE CO., AL & PANOLA CO., TX
Stephen Graves (1) was born about 1820 in SC. He married Emma (or Charlotte) Wall in 1847 in Pike Co., AL. She was born in GA and died in AL. After the death of his wife, Stephen moved to TX and lived in Buncombe, Panola Co., TX. He married a woman named Emily who is buried in a cemetery on the farm of Ermon Graves. Stephen left Panola Co. after the death of Emily and was buried on Pea River. There is also a story that Stephen Graves was from England, emigrated to the U.S., and settled in Montgomery, AL, but that does not appear to be correct. (R-1, R-2)
Children - Graves
+2. John King Graves, b. 24 Dec. 1854, m. Dora Clara Bailey, 11 Dec. 1878, d. 16 Jan. 1946.
3. Doshia Graves, m. Henry Williams.
CHILDREN OF STEPHEN GRAVES (1) AND EMMA WALL
John King Graves (2) was born 24 Dec. 1854 in AL, and died 16 Jan. 1946 in Panola Co., TX. He married Dora Clara Bailey, daughter of Green Berry W. Bailey and Clarissa Harlow Kyser, on 11 Dec. 1878 in Clayton, TX. She was born in July 1856 in Coffee Co., AL, in the New Hope Community near the Pea River where her father had a farm, and died 28 April 1925 in Panola Co., TX. They were both buried in Gary Cem., Panola Co., TX. Dora moved to Panola Co., TX in Dec. 1871 with her mother, at the age of 15, and settled on a farm in the Buncombe Community where Herbert Koonce lives today. John and Dora lived in a little log cabin across the road from where L. D. Ritter lives today. They began to farm with a mule they got from Dora's brother, Charlie B. Bailey. They moved to Gary, TX in 1909.
Geraldine Graves wrote that "the beginning of the end on this earth came for John when he broke a leg pitching hay from a loft at the age of 91. John must have been a go-getter as he bought land, worked it, and left it to his children. Some 1700 acres with mineral rights have provided an income for them. Papa has told me that it was a shame his father died before his oil and gas royalty really paid off. It is said that history repeats itself - I wonder - John died before the Carthage Travis Peak pay really produced and Pink died before the Cotton Valley pay produced." (R-1)
Children - Graves
+4. Charles Washington Graves, b. 21 Feb. 1881, m(1) Nettie Havena Latham, 30 Nov. 1899, m(2) Mary Ann Elizabeth Nutt, d. 17 July 1931.
+5. Sampson Graves, m. Nettie Hayes.
+6. Ebbie Graves, m. Homer Latham.
+7. Bryant Whitfield Graves, m. Omie Heaton.
+8. Pious Pinkney Graves, m(1) Ola Pinson, m(2) Vivian Heaton, d. 17 Oct. 1974.
9. Gracie Graves
10. Alpha Mae Graves
CHILDREN OF JOHN K. GRAVES (2) AND DORA C. BAILEY
Charles Washington Graves (4) was born 21 Feb. 1881, died 17 July 1931, and was buried in Gary Cem., all in Panola Co., TX. He was a merchant and farmer. He first married Nettie Havena (or Harvena) Latham, probably called Havena or Harvena, on 30 Nov. 1899 in Panola Co., TX. She was born 11 Jan. 1881, died 26 Nov. 1919, and was buried in Miller Cem. behind Freewill Baptist Church, Buncombe Community, all in Panola Co., TX. He married second Mary Ann Elizabeth Nutt. She died 9 Sept. 1978, and was buried at Nacogdoches, TX. (R-1)
Children - Graves, by Nettie H. Latham
11. Ethel Graves, b. 3 Aug. 1899 (Buncombe Community, Panola Co., TX), d. 17 May 1900 (Panola Co., TX). Bur. Buncombe Graveyard in Ermon Graves' pasture.
+12. Bernard William Graves, b. 24 Jan. 1902, m. Laudie Pinson, 10 June 1922, d. 10 Jan. 1971.
13. Ermon Graves, m. Verna Langford.
14. Clyde Graves, m. Gladys Cox.
15. Verna Graves, m. Johnny Smith (?).
16. Vesta Clara Graves, m. Travis Brannon.
+17. Ollie Belle Graves, b. 22 July 1910, m. James Carroll Thomas, 4 Sept. 1933.
+18. Annie Whit Graves, b. 17 Sept. 1912, m. Harvey Lee Jones, 29 March 1930.
+19. Madie Lou Graves, b. 12 Aug. 1914, m(1) Martin Kersh, 22 April 1933, m(2) Robert Lewis Jimerson, 16 March 1954.
+20. Charles Latham Graves, b. 21 Feb. 1918, m. Velma Mae Sullivan, 3 May 1939, d. 31 Aug. 1978.
Children - Graves, by Mary A. E. Nutt
+21. Nannie Joyce Graves, b. 26 Dec. 1921, m. Luke Samuel Honea, 31 Jan. 1942, d. 22 Aug. 1978.
+22. Mary Maurine Graves, b. 17 Nov. 1923, m. Sam W. Shepherd, 10 Feb. 1946.
23. J. B. Graves, b. 18 March 1925 (Panola Co., TX), d. 30 April 1925 (Gary, Panola Co., TX).
+24. Nelwyn Graves, b. 31 Oct. 1926, m. James Erwin Brannon, 26 June 1949.
Sampson ("Sam") Graves (5) married Nettie Hayes. (R-1)
Children - Graves
25. Lucille Graves, m. Newell Ford.
26. Sterlin Graves, m. Jina Ruth DuBose.
27. Christine Graves, m. Albert Smith.
28. Mildred Graves, m. Sable Bush.
29. John Martin Graves, m(1) Madie Burns, m(2) Betty Oaks.
30. Bonnie Faye Graves, m(1) B. Risinger, m(2) Leon Ratiff.
Ebbie Graves (6) married Homer Latham. (R-1)
Children - Latham
31. Stocial Latham, m. Thelma Heaton.
32. Joseph Weldon Latham, m. Clare Evelyn Cozart.
33. Ola Mae Latham, m. Claybon Smith.
34. Roland Latham, m. Adele Walton.
35. daughter, m. Earl Cariker.
Bryant Whitfield ("Whit") Graves (7) married Omie Heaton. (R-1)
Children - Graves
36. Cleo Merle Graves, m. Calvin Leatherwood.
37. Nancy Clair Graves, m. R. T. Lucas.
Pious Pinkney ("Pink") Graves (8) first married Ola Pinson. She and her first child died when the child was born. Pink married second Vivian Heaton. He died 17 Oct. 1974. (R-1)
Children - Graves, by Ola Pinson
38. child, died at birth.
Children - Graves, by Vivian Heaton
39. Phala Mae Graves, m(1) Harmon Ingram, m(2) Cecil Williams.
40. John Clarence Graves, died at age 21/2.
41. Lee Owens Graves, m(1) Betty Hurt, m(2) Geraldine Lewellen.
42. Delores Graves, m. M. L. Davis, Jr.
Return toAlphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return toMain Page