Rev. 11 July 2006, Gen. 581
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES A. GRAVES AND REBECCA JANE HAMIL OF TN
James A. Graves (1) was probably born about 1840 in TN. He first married ‑‑‑‑‑‑. He married second Rebecca Jane Hamil about 1899. She was born in Sept. 1881 in TN. They were in the 1900 census for Civil District 12, Weakley Co., TN, with James listed as age 50, born 1840 (should have been 60 if born in 1840), Rebecca J., born Sept. 1881, children Effie J. and Lou E. Graves, and brother-in-law James A. Hamil, born Dec. 1879. They were in the 1910 census for Short Creek, Fulton Co., KY, and in the 1920 census for Hickman, Fulton Co., KY. He was a farmer in 1900 and in both the later censuses was a laborer in a box factory.
It is possible that James was the one found in the 1850-1880 censuses in Polk, Roane and McMinn counties, TN, born about 1838, but there is no proof of that connection. If that is the connection, he was descended from John Graves and Susan ‑‑‑‑‑‑ of SC (genealogy 92), and there were more than just 2 children by his first wife.
In the 1910 census there was another Graves family living near James and Rebecca. This was S. G. Graves , 43, his wife Mary, 38, married 20 years, with children Evangeline, 19, Myrtle, 12, Baselee (shown as Basal Lee in 1920 census), 7, and May, 5. Perhaps this was a brother of James. They could not be found in 1900.
All children of James Graves were born in TN except for the last 2 born in KY. (R‑1)
Children - Graves, by first wife
2. Effie J. Graves, b. Dec. 1886.
3. Lou E. Graves, b. Jan. 1890.
Children - Graves, by Rebecca J. Hamil
+4. Willie Bell Graves, b. 10 Aug. 1900, m(1) William Thomas Camp, c. 1912, m(2) Charles Lee Mims.
5. Claudia Graves; may have died young, since she was not in the 1910 census.
6. Sam A. Graves, b.c. 1903. There was a James A. Graves, 18, in the 1920 census for Hickman, Fulton Co., KY, living next to James and Rebecca Graves, with wife Lena B., 22, and daughter Mary Lee, 11 months. Could this James and Sam be the same person?
7. Sanford Brice Graves, b.c.1908, m. Osel ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1927. They were in the 1930 census for Hickman, Fulton Co., KY.
8. James Howard Graves (called Howard in the 1920 census), b.c. 1914.
9. Mary Francis Graves, b.c. 1917.
10. Maudie Idela Graves, b.c. 1920, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑Geiger.
CHILDREN OF JAMES A. GRAVES (1) AND REBECCA J. HAMIL
Willie Bell Graves (4) was born 10 Aug. 1900 in McKenzie, Carroll Co., TN. She first married William Thomas Camp when she was 12 years old (about 1912). They divorced and she then married Charles Lee Mims. (R‑1)
Children - Camp
11. William Camp, died in childhood.
+12. Melissa Louise Camp, m.‑‑‑‑‑‑ Price.
13. Earnie Edward Camp
14. Dorothy Mae Camp, b. 24 Nov. 1921.
+15. Clarence Becker Camp, b. 20 June 1925, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
Children - Mims
16. Charles Becker Mims
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page