Rev. 2 Dec. 2016, Gen. 595
DESCENDANTS OF JOSEPH GRAVES AND MARY BAKER OF DORSET, ENGLAND
Joseph Graves (1) was born about 1739 in Dorset, England. He married Mary Baker on 14 Jan. 1759 at St. Mary’s, Melcombe Regis, Dorset. They had a large family with only the girls surviving to adulthood, so the Graves name died out in that generation. There is a family legend that the family had connections in Newfoundland. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children – Graves
+2. Jane Graves, b. 31 Dec. 1765, m(1) Peter Sorensen, 20 Nov. 1783, m(2) Daniel McIntosh.
3. Edith Graves, m. William Pitt White, 19 Nov. 1794 (Stoke Damerel, Devon, England). Their son William was a merchant in Guernsey, Channel Islands. According to “England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,” Ancestry.com, William Pitt White was born 17 July 1765, and was baptized 14 Aug. 1765 at Saint Nicholas Street-Independent, Weymouth, Dorset, son of George and Susanna White.
4. daughter, m. George White (brother of William).
CHILDREN OF JOSEPH GRAVES (1) AND MARY BAKER
Jane Graves (2) was born 31 Dec. 1765. She first married Peter Sorensen on 20 Nov. 1783 in German, Isle of Man. He was born about 1763. She married second Daniel McIntosh. All the children were born on the Isle of Man, Louisa in Peel and the other 2 in German. (R‑2)
Children – Sorensen
5. Rebecca Sorensen, b. 1791.
+6. Louisa Sorensen, b. 1792, m. John Power Royston, 17 May 1826, d. Oct. 1885.
7. Henry James Sorensen, b. 1798.
CHILDREN OF JANE GRAVES (2) AND PETER SORENSEN
Louisa Sorensen (6) was born in 1792 in Peel, Isle of Man, and died in Oct. 1885 in Hampstead, London. She married John Power Royston on 17 May 1826 in Liverpool, St. Philip, Lancashire, England. He was born 25 Aug. 1787 in Shoreditch, Middlesex, and died in Oct. 1872, buried at Norwood Cem., Norwood Rd., Lambeth, London. He had first married Mary Ann Smith Haylett and had 3 children by that marriage. (R‑2)
Children – Royston
+8. Katherine Maria Royston, b.c. 1829, m(1) William Affleck Gray, 27 Dec. 1858, d. Jan. 1872.
+9. Peter Sorensen Royston, b.c. 1830, m. Mary Clarke, 6 March 1861, d. 28 Jan. 1915.
10. Rebecca Sorensen Royston, b. 6 Feb. 1833 (Middlesex, England).
11. Louisa Jane Royston, b.c. 1834 (London, Middlesex), d. 1 Aug. 1897 (Ampthill, Bedfordshire).
CHILDREN OF LOUISA SORENSEN (6) AND JOHN P. ROYSTON
Katherine Maria Royston (8) was born about 1829 in London, Middlesex, and died in Jan. 1872 in Bethnal Green, London. She married William Affleck Gray on 27 Dec. 1858 in Madras, Madras, India. He was born about 1828 in Layton, Ireland, and died 2 May 1899 in Edinburgh, Scotland. (R‑2)
Children – Gray
12. Marian Louisa Gray, b. 24 Nov. 1860 (India), m. John Herriot. He was b.c. 1856,
13. John Power William Gray, b. 16 April 1862 (India), m. Annie Zoe Taylor, d. 26 Jan. 1937 (Basford, Nottinghamshire). She was b.c. 1865.
14. Elizabeth Mary Gray, b. 1 Nov. 1863 (India).
15. William Royston Gray, b. July 1867 (Wigton, Cumberland, England), m. Clementina Emily Haig, 11 Jan. 1899 (Osaka, Japan), d. 1 Jan. 1950 (London, England). She was b. 4 Dec. 1869 in Seanbetea, Herefordshire, and d. 9 July 1957 in Mill Hill Hendon, Middlesex, daughter of Felix Thackeray Haig and Christian Anne ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+16. Katherine Maria Gray, b. Jan. 1869, m. Thomas Livingston Haig, 1892, d. 17 March 1917.
17. St. Clair Gray, b. April 1870 (Nottingham, Nottinghamshire).
Rev. Peter Sorensen Royston (9) was born about 1830 in London, Middlesex, and died 28 Jan. 1915 in Chidwall Cowper Road, Worthing East Preston, Sussex. He married Mary Clarke, daughter of Thomas Clarke and Frances Dickinson, on 6 March 1861 in Madras, Madras, India. She was born 17 June 1841 in Madras, India, and died in April 1904 in Toxteth Park, Lancashire. (R‑2)
Children – Royston
18. Agnes Royston, b. 1 April 1868 (Madras, India), d. 3 Nov. 1946 (Clophill Barns, Bedfordshire).
19. Margaret Louisa Royston, b. July 1872 (London Holy Trinity, Islington, Middlesex), d. 14 March 1929 (The Gables, Clophill, Bedfordshire).
+20. Christopher Clarke Royston, b. Jan. 1880, m. Maria Cahill Sheridan, 15 Feb. 1909, d. 4 July 1941.
CHILDREN OF KATHERINE M. ROYSTON (8) AND WILLIAM A. GRAY
Katherine Maria Gray (16) was born in Jan. 1869 in Jan. 1869 in Wakefield, Yorkshire West Riding, and died 17 March 1917 in Beam Brook, Newdigate, Guildford, Surrey. She married Thomas Livingston Haig, son of Felix Thackeray Haig and Christian Anne Haig, in 1892 in Kensington and Chelsea, Middlesex. He was born about 1866 in Harborne, Warwickshire, and died in June 1950 in Worthing, Sussex. (R‑2)
Children – Haig
21. Arthur R. Haig, b.c. 1893 (British Columbia, Canada), d. June 1965 (Surrey South Western, Surrey, England).
22. Edwin Felix Gray Haig, b. 23 Oct. 1896 (Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada), d. 4 June 1983 (North East Hampshire, Hampshire, England).
23. Nigel Somerville Haig, b.c. 1900 (Nutfield, Surrey), d. 20 April 1952 (Norwich, Norfolk).
CHILDREN OF PETER S. ROYSTON (9) AND MARY CLARKE
Christopher Clarke Royston (20) was born in Jan. 1880 in Hastings, Sussex, and died 4 July 1941 in Kotagiri, South India. He married Marie Cahill Sheridan, daughter of Philip Sheridan and Kate Cahill, on 15 Feb. 1909 in Shillong, Bengal, India. She died in Dec. 1965 in Reading, Berkshire, England. (R‑2)
Children – Royston
24. Christopher Sheridan S. Royston, b. 23 Jan. 1911 (India), m. Isabel Emmy Mackie, Dec. 1938 (London, England), d. Jan. 1986 (Bullingdon, Oxfordshire). She was b. 6 April 1910 in Belgaum, Bombay, India, and d. July 1996 in Wallingford, Berkshire (now Oxfordshire), daughter of Lt. Col. Ralph Mackie and Jane Alice Simpson. 1 daughter and 2 sons.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page