Rev. 30 Oct. 2009, Gen. 618
DESCENDANTS OF AMBROSE GREAVES OF WATER STRATFORD, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE & EVENLEY, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
Ambrose Greaves (1) may have been born about 1802 in Water Stratford, Buckinghamshire, England, and died after 1842 in Australia. He may have first married Hannah ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1803 in Evenley, Northamptonshire. She was head of family in the 1841 and 1851 censuses for Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, listed as a pauper. She was listed as a widow in 1851. It appears that Ambrose may have left her to emigrate to New South Wales, Australia, where he had children with Ellen Ibbotson, not marrying her.
Part of the reason for uncertainty is that the IGI lists a christening for Ambrose Greaves on 27 Nov. 1808 in Water Stratford, Bucks., with parents William Greaves and Hannah ‑‑‑‑‑‑. If that is correct and is the same Ambrose Greaves, then perhaps it was William Greaves who married Hannah and had Ambrose, then William died and left Hannah destitute, and Ambrose then went off to Australia. (R‑1)
Children – Greaves, by Hannah ------
+2. Charles Greaves, b.c. 1828, m. Mary Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. after 1881.
3. David Greaves, b.c. 1830 (Buckinghamshire).
+4. Isabella Greaves, b.c. 1833, m. William Humphreys.
Children – Greaves, by Ellen Ibbotson
5. Susan Greaves, b. after 1835.
6. George Greaves, b. 1835-1842.
7. Mary Ann Greaves, b.c. 1842.
CHILDREN OF AMBROSE GREAVES (1) AND HANNAH ------
Charles Greaves (2) was born about 1828 in Evenley, Northamptonshire. He married Mary A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1834 in Oxfordshire. They were in the 1861 census for Oxford St. Giles, Oxfordshire, when he was a gardener. All their children were born in Summertown, Oxfordshire. (R‑1)
Children – Greaves
8. David Greaves, b.c. 1853.
9. Charles J. Greaves, b.c. 1855.
+10. Henry W. Greaves, b.c. 1858, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Ethel Wyon Whenman.
11. Harriett E. Greaves, b.c. 1861.
12. Mary A. Greaves, b.c. 1866.
13. Hannah Greaves, b.c. 1868.
14. Leopold Greaves, b.c. 1870.
15. Walter Greaves, b.c. 1872.
16. Florence Greaves, b.c. 1875.
17. William Greaves, b.c. 1878.
Isabella Greaves (4) was born about 1833 in Water Stratford, Buckinghamshire. She married William Humphreys, son of James Humphreys, on 26 Sept. 1852 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire. He was born about 1832 in Brackley, Northamptonshire. (R‑1)
Children – Humphreys
18. Elizabeth M. Humphreys, b.c. 1866 (Brackley, Northamptonshire).
19. Ephriam Humphreys, b.c. 1871 (Brackley, Northamptonshire).
20. Austin Humphreys, b.c. 1873 (Turweston, Buckinghamshire).
21. William Humphreys, b.c. 1875 (Cowthorpe, Yorkshire).
CHILDREN OF CHARLES GREAVES (2) AND MARY A. ------
Henry W. Greaves (10) was born about 1859 in Summertown, Oxfordshire. He first married ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1855. He married second Ethel Wyon Whenman, daughter of John G. Whenman and Anna M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1880 in Isleworth, Middlesex, and died after 1901. (R‑1)
Children – Greaves
22. John Greaves, b. after 1895.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page