Rev. 18 July 2005, Gen. 678
DESCENDANTS OF STEPHEN GRAVES AND CAROLINE ------ OF AL & TX
Stephen (“Steve”) Graves (1) was born about 1812 in GA, and died after 1880. He married Caroline ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was probably born about 1827 in SC. He is listed as the father of William Thomas Graves. They have not yet been found in the 1850 census. They were in the 1860 census in Dale Co., AL, Newton P.O., page 608. They were in the 1870 census for Twp. 6, Range 17, Covington Co., AL, Rose Hill P.O., page 499. They were in the 1880 census for Rose Hill, Precinct 4, Covington Co., AL, page 327D. Dozier, Crenshaw Co., AL is on the county line with Covington Co., and Rose Hill, Covington Co., is only about 5 miles from Dozier.
R‑1 listed the children as William Thomas, John, Ned (“Red”), Mary, Millie, Feldie, Babe, Law, Bunk, and Jim. It is not known which nickname goes with which person found in the census records. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
2. John W. Graves, b.c. 1842.
3. Millie (or Milly) E. Graves, b.c. 1845.
4. Stephen E. Graves (probably Ned), b.c. 1847.
5. Mary P. Graves, b.c. 1849.
6. Nancy F. N. C. Graves, b.c. 1853.
7. Easter A. F. L. M. Graves, b.c. 1855.
+8. Angus Graves, b. 15 April 1860, m. Martha Elizabeth Barnes, 10 Oct. 1878, d. 30 July 1896.
9. William Thomas Graves, b. 27 April 1861 (Dozier, Crenshaw Co., AL), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 22 April 1937 (Franklin Co., TX).
10. James (“Jim”) Graves, b.c. 1865.
+11. Louisa Graves, b.c. 1867, m. Charles Wesley Barton.
CHILDREN OF STEPHEN GRAVES (1) AND CAROLINE ------
Angus Graves (8) was born 15 April 1860 in Greenville, Butler Co., AL, and died 30 July 1896 in Van Zandt Co., TX. He married Martha Elizabeth Barnes, daughter of Gilbert Barnes and Martha L. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 10 Oct. 1878 in Crenshaw Co., AL. She was born 2 March 1859 in Greenville, Butler Co., AL, and died 18 May 1950 in Mineola, Wood Co., TX. They were both buried in Providence Cem., Van Zandt Co., TX. They were in the 1900 census for Owlet Green, Van Zandt Co., TX, page 20A. Their first 3 children were born in Crenshaw Co., AL, and the next 3 in Providence Community, Smith Co., TX. (R‑3)
Children – Graves
12. Walter LaFayette Graves, b. 14 Dec. 1879, m. Vadar Jackson, d. Great Bend, KS. She was born and died in Forney, Kaufman Co., TX. (Kaufman Co. is next to Van Zandt Co., and is really suburban Dallas.)
13. William Alonzo Graves, b. 16 June 1881, d. 16 Dec. 1900 (Providence, Van Zandt Co., TX).
14. David Gilbert Graves, b. 14 April 1883, d. 11 April 1941 (Sand Flat, Van Zandt Co., TX).
15. James Abner Graves, b. 16 Feb. 1886, d. 1910 (Providence, Van Zandt Co., TX).
+16. Nishey May Graves, b. 26 Nov. 1888, m. Boyd Williams, d. 3 May 1926.
17. Malachi Graves, b. 20 Dec. 1892, m. Elva Lee ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 29 Sept. 1987. She was b. 3 July 1894 and d. 9 June 1963.
Louisa (or Eliza of Lula) Graves (11) was born about 1867 in Rose Hill Community, Covington Co., AL (near Dozier, Crenshaw Co., AL). She married Charles Wesley Barton, son of James Henry Barton and Angelina Feazel. He was born 7 April 1860, and died 9 Sept. 1934 in Halesboro (west of Bogota, Red River Co.), TX (R‑2)
Children – Barton
18. Josephine Barton
19. Lester Barton, died young.
20. Era Barton
21. Mack Grant Barton
22. Villa Mae Barton
CHILDREN OF ANGUS GRAVES (8) AND MARTHA E. BARNES
Nishey May Graves (16) was born 26 Nov. 1888 in Providence Community, Smith Co., TX, died 3 May 1926 in Grand Saline, Van Zandt Co., TX, and was buried in Providence Cem., Van Zandt Co., TX. She married Boyd Williams in Forney, Kaufman Co., TX. He was born 25 Nov. 1888 in Forney, Kaufman Co., TX, died 21 Nov. 1917 in Hartshorne, OK, and was buried in Hartshorne, OK. (R‑3)
Children – Williams
+23. Fayenell Williams, b. 19 Jan. 1916, m. Ulman Eugene Abrams, 19 Oct. 1933, d. 31 Dec. 1980.
+24. Nova B. Williams, b. 29 April 1913, m. Doris Ellen Saxby, 7 Dec. 1942, d. 5 Dec. 1999.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page