Rev. 8 March 2010, Gen. 730
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN ORMOND GRAVES AND ELIZA HUGHES
OF LONDON & MIDDLESEX, ENGLAND
John (or Jonathan) Ormond (or Ormand) Graves (1) was born about 1807 or 1810 in Whitechapel, Middlesex, England, and died 21 Jan. 1853 at St. George, East Middlesex, England. He married Eliza Hughes on 20 March 1831 at Saint Helen Bishopsgate, London. She was born about 1816 in Middlesex, and died before the 1851 census. They were in the 1841 census for Stepney, Middlesex. He was in the 1851 census for 22 Bedford St., Stepney, Middlesex, as a widower. Both their children were born in Whitechapel, Middlesex.
John probably married second Eliza ‑‑‑‑‑‑. The 1871 census for 3 Wickes (or Wilkes) St., Christchurch, Spitalfields, London, lists John Graves, 59, porter, London, wife Eliza, 48, match maker, Norfolk, and son John, 36, coal dealer, London. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. Frederick Graves, b. 1832, m. Amelia Eliza Poole, 18 July 1852.
3. John (or Jonathan) Julius Graves, b. 22 Sept. 1834 (London, England), bapt. 3 May 1835 (St. George in the East, Stepney, London).
CHILDREN OF JOHN O. GRAVES (1) AND ELIZA HUGHES
Frederick Graves (2) was born in 1832, and was baptized 5 Jan. 1834 at Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London. He married Amelia Eliza Poole on 18 July 1852 in St. Mary Newington, Surrey, England. She remarried to D. Croney in 1867. At least their middle 2 children were born in Shoreditch, Middlesex. Baptisms for the 3 children mentioned as being baptized were all at St. Leonards, Shoreditch, London. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
4. Ellen Chester Graves, b. 1853 or 1854.
5. Annie Amelia Graves, b. 16 May 1855, bapt. 21 Aug. 1859, m. Edward James Mayhew.
+6. Rosina Emily Graves, b. 22 May 1857, m. James William Chapman.
+7. Frederick Robert Graves, b. 20 July 1859, m. Emily E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
CHILDREN OF FREDERICK GRAVES (2) AND AMELIA E. POOLE
Rosina Emily (“Rose”) Graves (6) was born 22 May 1857 in Shoreditch, Middlesex, and was baptized 26 July 1857 at St. Leonards, Shoreditch, London. She married James William Chapman, son of James William Chapman and Margaret Jane Floyd. He was born in 1856 in Bethnal Green, Middlesex, and died before the 1901 census. They were in the 1891 census for Acton, Middlesex, when he was a shoemaker. She was in the 1901 census for Acton, Middlesex, as a widow and a laundress. Their first child was born in Hackney, London, and all the others in Acton, Middlesex.
Children – Chapman
8. James Chapman, b.c. 1877.
9. Rosina Chapman, b.c. 1879.
+10. Frederick Henry Chapman, b.c. 1881, m. Alice Maude Tuddenham, d. 1934.
11. Florence Chapman, b.c. 1884.
12. Eliza (“Ellise”) Chapman, b.c. 1888.
13. Annie Chapman, b.c. 1892.
Frederick Robert Graves (7) was born 20 July 1859 in Dalston, Middlesex, or Shoreditch, London, and was baptized 21 Aug. 1859. (Dalston is a district in the London borough of Hackney, just a few blocks north of Shoreditch.) He married Emily E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1861 in Croydon, Surrey. They were in the 1891 census for Enfield, Middlesex. They were in the 1901 census for Edmonton, Middlesex.
Children – Graves
14. Emily E. Graves, b.c. 1880 (Haxton or Shoreditch, London).
15. Frederick R. Graves, b.c. 1882 (Old Ford or Bromley by Bow, Middlesex).
16. Harold J. Graves, b.c. 1884 (Old Ford or Bromley by Bow, Middlesex).
17. Reginald F. Graves, b.c. 1887 (Edmonton, Middlesex).
18. Eva Harriet Graves, b.c. 1890 (Crayford, Kent).
19. Victor A. S. Graves, b.c. 1893 (Edmonton, Middlesex).
20. Archibald F. Graves, b.c. 1895 (Edmonton, Middlesex).
CHILDREN OF ROSINA E. GRAVES (6) AND JAMES W. CHAPMAN
Frederick Henry Chapman (10) was born about 1881 in Acton, Middlesex, and died in 1934. He married Alice Maude (or Maud) Tuddenham. She was born about 1883 in Cranford, Middlesex. He was in the 1901 census for Acton, Middlesex, living with his mother. All their children were born in Acton, Middlesex.
Children – Chapman
21. Frederick Chapman, b. 1902.
22. Alice Amelia F. Chapman, b. 1904.
23. Ernest Edward Chapman, b. 1905, m. Ivy Elizabeth Ellen Keefe, 12 Jan. 1930 (Acton, Middlesex). She was b. 21 Feb. 1909 in Acton, Middlesex, and d. Jan. 2000 in Middlesex, daughter of George James Keefe and Elizabeth Matthews. 1 son.
24. Rosina Lilian Chapman, b. 1906.
25. Reginald F. G. Chapman, b. 1908.
26. James Henry Chapman, b. 1910.
27. Six more children.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 The 1841 census gave his name and that of his younger son as Jonathan, but all other records give the names as John.