Rev. 11 March 2009, Gen. 744
DESCENDANTS OF DANIEL GREEVES AND ROSA ------ OF IRELAND & YORK, YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
Daniel Greeves (1) was born about 1802 in Ireland. He married Rosa ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1801 in Workington, Cumberland, England. They were in the 1851 census for St. Lawrence Parish, York, Yorkshire, living at 7 Paragon St., with children John and Jane, and married son Mary living next door. They were in the 1871 census for St. Lawrence Parish, York, living at Fishergate., with grandchildren Rosa Hannah and Elizabeth Ellen. Their surname in the census records may have been McGreeves, although it is also possible that a name starting with Mc was a middle name. Daniel and his 2 sons were tailors.
It seems very likely that this family is related to John Grierson of Scotland, and the Greer and Greeves Family of Ireland (genealogy 712).
2. William Greeves, b.c. 1826 (Skipwith, Yorkshire), m. Mary A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1827 in York.
+3. John Greeves, b.c. 1831, m. Mary Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
4. Jane Greeves, b.c. 1838 (York).
CHILDREN OF DANIEL GREEVES (1) AND ROSA ------
John Greeves (3) was born about 1831 in Ireland. He married Mary Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1831 in Brawby, Yorkshire. They were in the 1861 census for Leeds, Yorkshire. He was a tailor. Children Rosa and Elizabeth were living with their grandparents, Daniel and Rosa, in 1871 in St. Lawrence Parish, York, and were reported to have been born in St. George Parish, York. All the children were born in York.
+5. Mary Jane Greeves, b.c. 1856, m. Daniel McDermott.
+6. Rose Hannah Greeves, b.c. 1859, m. Harry Exelby, 13 Oct. 1879.
7. John Greeves, b.c. 1861.
8. Elizabeth Ellen Greeves, b.c. 1863.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GREEVES (3) AND MARY ANN ------
Mary Jane Greeves (5) was born about 1856 in York, Yorkshire. She married Daniel McDermott, perhaps about 1884. He was born about 1859 in Ireland. They were in the 1891 census for St. Lawrence Parish, York. In the 1881 census for St. Lawrence, York, Mary Jane and her daughter Edith were living with her grandmother Rosa Greeves. All her children were born in York.
9. Edith Rose Greeves, b.c. 1880.
10. Mary McDermott, b.c. 1886.
11. Norah McDermott, b.c. 1889.
Rose (or Rosa) Hannah Greeves (6) was born about 1859 in St. Denis Parish, York, Yorkshire. She married Harry Exelby, son of George Exelby and Jane Day, on 13 Oct. 1879 in the parish church of St. Dennis & St. George, York. He was born 25 Aug. 1856 in Micklegate, St. Martin, York, was christened 21 Sept. 1856 in St. Martin & St. Gregory, York, and died 17 Aug. 1891 in Spurriergate, St. Michael, York. They were in the 1891 census for St. Michael Spurriergate, York, Yorkshire, when he was a licensed victualler (running a pub). The last 2 children, Gertrude and William, were living with their aunt Mary J. McDermot in York in 1901. All their children were born in York. (R‑1, R‑2)
12. Violet Exelby, b.c. 1882.
13. Edith Mary Exelby, b.c. 1884.
14. Maud Louisa Exelby, b.c. 1886.
15. Ellen (or Ella) Victoria Evelyn Exelby, b.c. 1888.
+16. Lionel Xavier Exelby, b. 5 Sept. 1889, m. Jane Alice Carter, d. 1964.
17. Gertrude Dorothy Exelby, b.c. 1891.
18. William Harry Exelby, b.c. 1892.
CHILDREN OF ROSE H. GREEVES (6) AND HARRY EXELBY
Lionel Xavier Exelby (16) was born 5 Sept. 1889 in Spurriergate, St. Michael, York, Yorkshire, died in 1964 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and was buried in Burnsland Cem., Calgary Alberta, Canada. He married Jane Alice Carter. She was born 30 Nov. 1894 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. (R‑2)
19. Lionel J. Exelby, b. 1920, d. 22 Nov. 1942 (Calgary, Alberta, Canada).
20. George Exelby, b. 1921, m(1) Rosemary Watling, m(2) Rose V. Iverson. Rosemary was b. 1923 and d. 1977. Rose was b. 1925. 3 children by first marriage and 2 by second marriage.
21. Barbara Ellen Exelby, b. 1923, m. Clare Gabriel Copeland. He was b. 1924. 3 children.
22. Sidney Carter Exelby, b. 1927, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bergdahl. 5 children.
23. son, m. Helen Margaret Scott. She was b. 18 March 1933 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and d. 14 March 1993 in Newark, Delaware, USA. 2 children.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page