Rev. 16 Dec. 1999, Gen. 752
DESCENDANTS OF ERASTUS LEMUEL GRAVES OF MA
Erastus Lemuel Graves (1) was born about 1771 in MA, and died 1867-70. He married ------.
The first definite documented record of Earastus Graves is in the 1860 census of Fulton Twp., Rock Co., WI. He was living with his son Nathan Lemuel Graves, 50, b. NY, Nathan's second wife Catherine M. (Taylor) Graves, 27, b. NY, Catherine's sister Sarah J. Taylor, 20, Erastus L. Graves, 16, and Hannah M. (Malinda) Graves, 12, children from Nathan's first marriage, Etta E. (Emaline) Graves, 7 months (Nathan and Catherine's first child), and Erastus Graves, 89, b. Mass. Erastus Graves is listed in the Great Book of registered voters in 1867 in Calaveras Co., CA, his state of birth Mass. He is not listed in the California census of 1870 with his family. Calaveras Co. recorder's office has but one death recorded between 1859 and 1878, and no stones have been found for him in the cemetery listings for the county.
Erastus may have been the one who was descended from Thomas Graves of Hartford, CT (genealogy 168), was born 23 Sept. 1774 in Williamsburg, MA, and married Melinda Lyon on 6 June 1798. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+2. Nathan Lemuel Graves, b. 14 Sept. 1809, m(1) Hannah Jane Pettigrove, 11 Nov. 1841, m(2) Catherine M. Taylor, 1859 (?), d. 1877.
CHILDREN OF ERASTUS LEMUEL GRAVES (1)
Nathan Lemuel Graves (2) was born in 1809 in Cato, Cayuga Co., NY, and died in 1877. He first married Hannah Jane Pettigrove on 11 Nov. 1841 in Marshall, Calhoun Co., MI. She was born 3 May 1819 in Montgomery Co., NY. They divorced (1858 petition by Nathan in South Bend, IN for it). She married second Noyes E. Bennett on 16 May 1875, and died 30 March 1900 in Janesville, WI.
Nathan married second Catherine M. Taylor, possibly in 1859. She was born 29 June 1832 in NY. Catherine had 2 known sisters, Maria Taylor, born 1836 in NY, and Sarah J. Taylor, born 1840 in NY, moved west with the family.
All the children of Nathan and Hannah were born in Fulton, WI. The first child of Nathan and Catherine was born in Fulton, WI, the next in CA, the next 3 in Murphys, CA, and the last 2 in Lemoore, CA. (R-1)
Children - Graves, by Jannah J. Pettigrove
3. William Henry Graves, b. 15 Feb. 1843, d. 21 Feb. 1909.
4. Erastus Lemuel Graves, b. 14 Feb. 1845, d. 10 Feb. 1939.
5. Hannah Malinda Graves, b. 30 Sept. 1847, d. 1 April 1921.
6. David D. Graves, b. 1850.
Children - Graves, by Catherine M. Taylor
+7. Etta Emaline Graves, b. 1 Sept. 1860, m. William Benjamin Blevins, 10 May 1882 (TN).
8. Robert Nelson Graves, b. 27 June 1863, d. 12 Feb. 1902 (Perrin Colony, Fresno Co., CA). No children.
9. Wealthy Cora A. Graves, b. 21 June 1865, m. 2 Sept. 1890 (Lemoore, CA), d. 17 Feb. 1894 (or 1896?). No children.
10. Emma Jean Graves, b. 2 March 1867, m(1) ------ Fisher, m(2) William J. Faunce, 12 March 1886 (Handford, CA), d. 22 Nov. 1969 (San Leandro, CA). Emma had children.
11. Sarah Ella Graves, b. 24 July 1868, m. Edward Garrett Sellers, 22 July 1887 (Lemoore, CA), d. 26 April 1932 (Lemoore, CA). No children.
12. Mary Catherine Graves, b. 27 Sept. 1870, m. Richard Edward Osborn, 8 Sept. 1893 (Fresno, CA), d. 7 Nov. 1917 (Fresno, CA). No children.
+13. Albert Wesley Graves, b. 27 June 1875, m. Mary Magdeline Stearns, 1 Jan. 1907, d. 4 Nov. 1951.
CHILDREN OF NATHAN LEMUEL GRAVES (2)
Etta Emaline Graves (7) was born 1 Sept. 1860 in Fulton, WI. She married William Benjamin Blevins on 10 May 1882 in TN. They divorced, and her surviving son Clarence lived with her.
Children - Blevins
14. Clarence Blevins
Albert Wesley Graves (13) was born about in 1875 in CA, and died in 195-. He married Mary M. Stearns in 1908 in Redlands, CA. She was born in 1888 in Bird Island, MN. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+15. Edward Wesley Graves
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page