Rev. 15 Aug. 2009, Gen. 779
DESCENDANTS OF ELIJAH GRAVES AND MARY A. ------ OF TN & AL
Elijah Graves (1) was born about 1813 in TN, and probably died by 1870 in Jackson Co., AL. He was a farmer. He married Mary A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1827 in TN. Elijah and family was listed in the 1840, 1850 and 1860 censuses for Jackson Co., AL. The 1840 census listed Elijah, 20-30, 1 male under 5, and 1 female, 15-20. The 1870 Jackson Co., AL census listed Mary, children Silas and Rebecca, and Joseph T. Atkinson, age 5, but not Elijah. All their children were born in AL.
There was a William Graves, age 20-30, listed as head of household in the 1840 census for Jackson Co., AL with 1 female, 15-20. He may be may be related to Elijah, possibly a brother.
It appears that all the children except for Silas and Rebecca moved to Palo Pinto Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
2. Standerford Graves, b.c. 1837. Not with the family in 1860. There is a Stanford Graves, b.c 1839 in AL, in the 1860 census for Union Co., IL. Not in the 1870 or 1880 census anywhere.
3. Frances Graves, b.c. 1841.
+4. John R. Graves, b. May 1844, m. Martha Jane Hammons, c. 1870, d. 13 Dec. 1909.
5. Silas P. Graves, b.c. 1845. He (age 30) and his sister Rebecca (age 25) were in the 1880 census for Stevenson, Jackson Co., AL, both single. He was a baliff in 1880.
6. Robert Graves, b.c 1847. Not with the family in 1860.
7. Rebecca A. Graves, b.c. 1850.
8. Samuel M. Graves, b.c. 1853, m. Emma Green (Palo Pinto Co., TX).
9. Sarah J. Graves, b.c. 1855, m. Andrew Klenke, 10 Sept. 1881 (Palo Pinto Co., TX). She was living with her brother John in the 1880 census for Palo Pinto Co., TX. CouldnŐt find them in 1900.
+10. Henry H. Graves, b.c. 1859, m. Lola B. Harrison, 23 June 1885.
CHILDREN OF ELIJAH GRAVES (1) AND MARY A. ------
John R. Graves (4) was born in May 1844 in AL, and died 13 Dec. 1909 in Palo Pinto Co., AL. According to the 1900 census for Palo Pinto Co., TX, his father was born in TN and his mother in AL. He married Martha ("Mattie") Jane Hammons (or Hammon), daughter of John Van Hammon and Emmaline Browder, about 1870 in Johnson Co., AR. She was born in Dec. 1850 in AL. They were both buried in Old Gordon Cem., Palo Pinto Co., TX. In 1874 they were in Palo Pinto Co., TX with his sister Sarah living with them, plus children John Elijah, William I., Lucy and Rosa. In 1900 they had 19 children with 7 living. The last 4 were living at home in 1900 in Palo Pinto Co., TX, all born in TX. There are 2 records of deeds for John R. Graves at Palo Pinto Courthouse, M/460 dated Dec. 3, 1880, and X/632 dated Aug. 1, 1889, both located in Gordon. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+11. John Elijah Graves, b.c. 1871, m(1) Ada Adelia Blackmon, 7 Sept. 1893, m(2) Anna May Eubank, after 1932, d. 1947.
+12. William I. Graves, b. 23 April 1873, m. Ada Hart, c. 1898, d. 17 March 1948.
+13. Lucy Ella Graves, b.c. 1874, m. George V. Pruitt, c. 1893.
14. Paula E. (or Rosa) Graves, b.c. 1877 (TX).
15. Mary B. Graves, b.c. 1879 (TX).
+16. Charles Collins Graves, b. 18 Oct. 1883, m. Mary Elizabeth Fritz, 18 March 1908, d. 18 March 1929.
+17. Samuel Mead Graves, b. 4 April 1886, m(1) Lucille Wood, m(2) Ophilia Priscilla Bandy, 24 Dec. 1905, d. 12 Sept. 1973.
18. Clyde James Graves, b. 15 April 1887 (Mingus, Palo Pinto Co., TX), d. 27 Jan. 1959 (Mineral Wells, Palo Pinto Co., TX). Bur. Woodmen Cem., Palo Pinto Co., TX. Occupation railroad fireman. He was living with the family of his sister Ella in the 1930 census for Palo Pinto Co., TX.
+19. Edward Howard Graves, b. 12 March 1889, m. Corrie Mae Hicks, d. 21 Dec. 1920.
Henry H. Graves (10) was born about 1859 in AL. He was living with the Strawn family in the 1880 Palo Pinto Co., TX census.. He married Lola B. Harrison on 23 June 1885 in Palo Pinto Co., TX. There is a record of deed at Palo Pinto Courthouse where Henry bought land 24 Dec. 1886 in Gordon, Palo Pinto Co., TX (Book O, p. 378). (R‑1)
Children - Graves
20. Edgar Graves, m. Lucille Wood.
CHILDREN OF JOHN R. GRAVES (1) AND MARTHA J. HAMMONS
John Elijah ("Lige") Graves (11), listed as Elijah J. Graves in the census, was born about 1871 in Spadra Twp., Johnson Co., AR, and died in 1947 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. He first married Ada Adelia Blackmon on 7 Sept. 1893 in Erath Co., TX. She was born in March 1876 in Blackmonton, MS, and died in 1932 in San Antonio, TX. She moved with her family from MS to Gordon, Palo Pinto Co., TX in Jan. 1886.
He married second Anna May Eubank after 1932. John was a foreman in a coal mine in Strawn, Palo Pinto Co., TX, prior to moving to San Antonio. Both John and Ada were buried in San Jose Cem., San Antonio, TX. He was a miner in Strawn, Palo Pinto Co., TX. (R‑3)
Children - Graves, by Ada A. Blackmon
+21. Myrtle Kay Graves, b. 25 Dec. 1898, m. Melvin K. Havins, d. 13 Dec. 1977.
+22. Evelyn Ruth Graves, b. 4 March 1900, m. James Vernon Archer, d. 6 Aug. 1988.
+23. Lois Marie Graves, b. 5 May 1903, m. Lowell B. James, d. 12 April 1974.
+24. John R. Graves, b. 5 March 1905, m. Cleo M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 10 Aug. 1973.
25. Finley Jackson ("Jack") Graves, b. 1 Oct. 1913, d. 15 Sept. 1948. Bur. San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX.
Children - Graves, by Anna M. Eubank
26. Macy Graves, m. Cecil Rogers.
William I. Graves (12) was born 23 April 1873 in Benton Co., AR, and died 17 March 1948 in Palo Pinto Co., TX. He married Ada Hart 5 Sept. 1897. He was a railroad engineer and fireman. All their children were born and died in Palo Pinto Co., TX, with the possible exception of Macie whose birthplace is not known. They were both buried in Brad Cem., Palo Pinto Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+27. Mary Graves, b. 7 Aug. 1898, m. Elmer Lee, d. 15 Feb. 1989.
28. Margie ("Maggie") Graves, b. 21 Oct. 1900, m. Richard Wellie Byrd, d. 6 Jan. 1996.
29. Ralph C. Graves, b. 24 April 1903, d. 1 April 1965. Bur. Brad Cem., Palo Pinto Co., TX.
30. Macie Graves, b.c. 1906.
31. William Howard Graves, b. 21 Oct. 1909, d. 13 Feb. 1988. Bur. Brad Cem., Palo Pinto Co., TX. Served in the U.S. Navy in WW II.
Lucy Ella Graves (13), possibly called Louellen or Ella, was born about 1874 in TX. She married George V. Pruitt about 1893. He was born about 1872 in MS. They were in the 1930 census for Palo Pinto Co., TX. He was a farmer. All their children were born in TX.
Children - Pruitt
32. Lewis Pruitt, b.c. 1916.
33. Bobby Louise Pruitt, b.c. 1919.
34. Billy Pruitt, b.c. 1921.
Charles Collins Graves (16), nicknamed "Fatty Graves", was born 18 Oct. 1883 in Mingus, Palo Pinto Co., TX, died 18 March 1929 in Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX, and was buried in Hillcrest Cem., Temple, Bell Co., TX. He married Mary Elizabeth Fritz, daughter of George Fritz and Cynthia Thomas, on 18 March 1908 in Temple, Bell Co., TX. She was buried 8 Dec. 1941 in Hillcrest Cem., Temple, Bell Co., TX. He was a conductor on the Santa Fe Railroad. All their children were born in Bell Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
35. Mattie Edna Graves, b. 6 Feb. 1909, d. 16 Dec. 1909 (Bell Co., TX).
+36. Nellie Lucille Graves, b. 10 May 1913, m. Burch P. Sirmons, 7 Nov. 1932.
+37. Charles Wayne Graves, b. 13 July 1915, m. Pauline Chiapetta, 15 Dec. 1945.
+38. Clarence Harold Graves, b. 8 Feb. 1917, m. Winifred Gamble, 17 April 1946, d. 16 Jan. 1991.
39. Mary Lee Graves, b. 3 July 1921, never married, d. 21 Dec. 1997 (Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX). She was stricken with polio as a child and had a lifelong handicap from it. She lived with Clarence and Winnie from the time of their marriage until about 1962. Bur. Resthaven Cem., Silsbee, Hardin Co., TX.
40. James Rogers Graves, b. 25 Oct. 1923, never married.
+41. Annie Ruth Graves, b. 11 March 1928, m. Charles Howard Calmia, 27 July 1946.
Samuel Mead Graves (17) was born 4 April 1886 in Palo Pinto Co., TX. He first married Lucille Wood. He married second Ophilia (or Ophia "Ophie") Priscilla Bandy, daughter of James Bandy and Sedora Lewis, on 24 Dec. 1905. He was listed in the 1910 census in Baird, Callahan Co., TX (close to Abilene, TX). His occupation was railroad brakeman. James, Beryl and Marion were all born in Strawn, Palo Pinto Co., TX, and the other children were probably born there also. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Graves, by Ophilia P. Bandy
42. Loretta Edith Graves, b.c. 1908 (TX).
+43. James Richard Graves, b. 30 July 1909, m. Jesse Reynolds Butler, 1 July 1933, d. 15 June 1967.
44. Beryl Eddie Graves, b. 18 July 1911, d. 17 Aug. 1914 (Strawn, Palo Pinto Co., TX).
45. Sedora Frances Graves (probably called Frances), b. 11 Sept. 1913.
46. Samuel Mead ("Sam") Graves, Jr., b. 7 March 1916.
47. Marion Ophie Graves, b. 16 Dec. 1919, m. Matt Welch, d. 5 Nov. 1989 (Wichita Falls, TX).
Edward Howard Graves (19) was born 12 March 1889 in Palo Pinto Co., TX, and died 21 Dec. 1920. He married Corrie Mae Hicks, daughter of Isaac Hicks and Julia Pardue. Edward's occupation was listed as barber in the 1900 census and as G&P RR brakeman in the 1920 census. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+48. Billie Marie Graves, b. 18 Oct. 1917, m. Marshall Clark Rudder, d. 1 Nov. 1977.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page