Rev. 22 Aug. 1999, Gen. 780
DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM GRAVES AND HANNAH WARD OF SC
William Graves (1) was born in 1750, supposedly in England (according to and SAR application), although this seems unlikely, and died 7 June 1798. He married Hannah Ward 7 June 1770. She was born in 1753 and died 15 Aug. 1837. According to the SAR application, they had 4 sons and 1 daughter. (R-2)
Children - Graves
+6. Rachel Graves, b. 17 May 1790, m. Joseph Washington Wyatt, 1810, d. 5 May 1830.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVES (1) AND HANNAH WARD
Rachel (or Rachael) Graves (6) was born 17 May 1790 in SC or NC, and died 5 May 1830, after the birth of her last child in 1827. She married Joseph Washington Wyatt about 1810 or 1811 in Ross Co., OH. He was born 9 Oct. 1789 in NC, SC or VA (probably NC), and died 3 Nov. 1881. They lived in Jackson Co., OH. After Rachel died, Joseph married second Elizabeth Roberts on 5 Nov. 1830.
Vinton Co., OH was not a county until 1850. It was formed from Jackson, Hocking and Athens counties. Before 1820, there was no Jackson Co., it was part of Ross Co., OH. This family probably didn't move, the county lines kept changing.
It is very likely that Rachel Graves was descended from the Quaker family of Thomas Graves of New Castle Co., DE (gen. 85). Both Eli Graves and William Graves,who married daughters of Rachel, were grandsons of Thomas Graves (part of gen. 85) and Martha Dixon. (R-1, R-2)
Children - Wyatt
7. Hannah Wyatt, b. 1812, m. Isaac Fry, Aug. 1831.
+8. William Wyatt, b. 1815, m(1) Elizabeth Cozad, m(2) Mary Ann Sperry.
9. Rebecca Wyatt, b. 1818, m. Eli Graves, Jan. 1835 (Jackson Co., OH).
10. Nancy Wyatt, b. 1820, m. William Graves, Oct. 1837 (Jackson Co., OH).
12. Rachel Ann Wyatt, b. 1824, m. Adam Gehres. GG-grandparents of Derek Dingledine.
13. Elizabeth Wyatt, b. 1827, m. John Pope.
CHILDREN OF RACHEL GRAVES (6) AND JOSEPH WYATT
William Wyatt (8) was born in 1815. He first married Elizabeth Cozad. He married second Mary Ann Sperry. Joseph, his second wife, and his last four children all moved to Iowa in 1854. The rest of the family is believed to have stayed in what is now Vinton Co., OH. An obituary of William states that he had 18 children, but not all of them have yet been found. (R-1)
Children - Wyatt, by Elizabeth Cozad
14. Isaac Wyatt, b. 1831, m. Mary Vance.
15. Lucinda Wyatt, b. 1833, m. William Taylor.
16. Sarah Wyatt, b. 1835, m. Henry Border.
+17. Rachael Wyatt, b. 1836, m. Elisha Henderson.
18. Charles Wyatt, b. 1838, m. Martha Negley.
+19. Sarah Wyatt (same name as previous child?), b. 1838, m. James Ziegler.
20. Joseph Wyatt, b. 1843, d. 1864 (Andersonville, GA).
21. John W. Wyatt, b. 1844, m(1) Jennetta Claypool, m(2) Elizabeth Berry.
22. Benjamin Wyatt, b. 1846, m(1) Elizabeth Hutt, m(2) Sarah J. ------.
23. William A. Wyatt, b. 1848, m. Lucreatia Fry.
24. Job Wyatt, b. 1852, m. Alice Hutt.
Children - Wyatt, by Mary A. Sperry
25. Elizabeth Wyatt, b. 186-.
26. Alice Wyatt, b. 186-.
+27. Charles L. Wyatt, b. 1869, m. Onie Wychoff.
28. Henry C. Wyatt, b. 1872.
29. Clara B. Wyatt, b. 1879.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM WYATT (8)
Rachael Wyatt (17) was born in 1836. She married Elisha Henderson. (R-1)
Children - Henderson
30. William Henderson, m. Minnie Nixon.
Sarah Wyatt (19) was born in 1838. She married James Ziegler. (R-1)
Children - Ziegler
31. Melissa Ziegler
32. Francis E. Ziegler, m(1) ------, m(2) Grace Graves, 7 Feb. 1904.
33. Ida Mae Ziegler, m. William Woltz.
34. Lenora Ziegler, m. Amos Woltz.
35. Robert Ziegler, m. Lida Sewards.
Charles L. Wyatt (27) was born in 1869. He married Onie Wychoff. (R-1)
Children - Wyatt
36. Richard Wyatt,died of a tumor at age 13.
37. Bryan Wyatt, m. Alice Nixon.
38. Charles K. Wyatt, b. 1909, m(1) Helena Nixon, m(2) Marjorie Furst, d. 1977.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page