Rev. 14 July 2003, Gen. 864
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES AND LAURA ------ OF SENECA CO., NY
John Graves (1) was born about 1796 in VT. He married Laura ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1804 in NY. They lived in Seneca Co., NY. According to the 1900 census for his son William, both John and his wife were born in NY. They were in the 1850 census for Junius, Seneca Co., NY, page 224, with children William J., age 11, and Laura, age 6. John was a farmer. Living next door in 1850 were sons Joseph and James Graves, both farmers.
In the 1880 census for Junius, Seneca Co., NY, page 69D, was the family of Eugene Graves, 28, laborer, wife Margrate, 26, and children William H., 8, Emma, 6, Robert, 4, Arthur, 2, and Curtis M., 3 months, all born in NY. Eugene was almost certainly a son of either James or Joseph Graves. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
2. James Madison Graves, b.c. 1823, m. Betsy ‑‑‑‑‑‑. He may also have been called Madison, since that is the name given by R‑1. Neither of them could be found in NY in the 1880 census.
3. Joseph Graves, b.c. 1827-1829, m. Phebe ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was b.c. 1834 in NY. They were in the 1880 census for Junius, Seneca Co., NY, page 70B, with niece Gerty Sherman, 18, single, born in NY.
+4. William J. Graves, b. Sept. 1838, m. Polly Ann Stevenson, c. 1859, d. 1916.
5. Laura Graves
6. Betsy Graves
7. Louisa Graves
8. Mary Graves
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1)
William J. Graves (4) was born in Sept. 1838 in NY, and died in 1916 in Clifton Springs, Ontario Co., NY. (Ontario Co. is next to Seneca Co. where he, his parents and brothers lived in 1850.) He married Polly Ann Stevenson, daughter of Norman Stevenson and Susannah Barden, about 1859. She was born in 1840 in Seneca Co., NY, and died in 1895 in Clifton Springs, NY. At least their first 2 children were born in Clifton Springs. After 1860 they moved to Hoverson, Genesee Co., MI. They must have moved back to Clifton Springs, since they both died there.
In the 1900 census for Phelps, Ontario Co., NY, William J. Graves was said to have been born in Sept. 1838, was age 61, and a widower. He and his parents were born in NY. He was a mason and owned a mortgaged home. Living with him was his daughter Ella M., born Oct. 1862, age 37, and single. Also living with him was his grandson Frank Fisher, born April 1888, age 12, son of Laura Fisher. He has also taken in two boarders, Bessie Stewart and her brother Walter P. Stewart who were both attending school. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+9. John Graves, b. 22 Dec. 1857, m. Anna Archer, d. 1924.
+10. Florence Graves, b. 1858, m. Jack Potter, d. 1925.
+11. Laura Graves, b. 29 March 1860, m(1) Kassan Fisher, m(2) William Stacey, m(3) William C. Tout, 1904, d. 1935.
12. Ella May Graves, b. Oct. 1862.
13. Nettie Graves, b. 9 March 1863, m. Jonathan Monks.
+14. William Graves, b. 13 May 1864, m. Olive A. Thompson, 1 Oct. 1887.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM J. GRAVES (4) AND POLLY A. STEVENSON
John Graves (9) was born 22 Dec. 1857 in Clifton Springs, Ontario Co., NY, and died in 1924. He married Anna Archer, daughter of Nathaniel Archer. She was born in England, and died 19 Feb. 1925. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+15. Ella May Graves, b. 1 Aug. 1888, m. Roy Farnsworth (or Farnsforth), 7 June 1911.
+16. Cora Belle Graves, b. 16 Jan. 1890, m(1) Roy Williams, m(2) Harold Weed.
Florence Graves (10) was born in 1858 in Clifton Springs, Ontario Co., NY, and died in 1925. She married Jack Potter. (R‑1)
Children - Potter
17. Irving Potter, b. 11 Sept. 1883, Phoebe ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
18. Bertha Potter, b. 17 Aug. 1885, m. Benjamin Bliven (of Phelps, Ontario Co., NY). He was b. July 1885 in MI.
19. Jesse Potter, b. 24 June 1887, m. Frank Hinburn (or Kinburn).
20. Frank Potter, b. 9 Nov. 1889, m. Louise ‑‑‑‑‑‑. No children. Lived in Ithaca, NY.
+21. Hattie Potter, b. 23 Feb. 1891, m. Henry Kransler.
Laura Graves (11) was born 29 March 1860, and died in 1935 in Fairville, NY. She first married Kassan Fisher, son of Richard Fisher and Sarah Archibald. He was born in Italy Hollow, and died 27 Nov. 1893 in Clifton Springs, NY. She married second William Stacey. She married third William C. Tout in 1904. He was born in April 1848 in England. (It is possible Laura married William C. Tout second and married William Stacey third.) (R‑1)
Children - Fisher
22. Merton Fisher
23. Arthur Fisher, b. 28 Feb. 1883, m. Etta Colvert.
24. Frank A. Fisher, b. 8 April 1888, married twice. Lived at 266 Glenwood Ave., Rochester, NY.
25. Hurley Fisher, b. 7 Nov. 1891, m. Lulu Williams.
Children - Tout
26. William Tout, b. 25 June 1903, m. Evelyn Moore, d. Nov. 1969. She was b. 30 Sept. 1914 and d. 7 March 1989.
William Graves (14) was born 13 May 1864 in Hoverson, Genesee Co., MI. He married Olive A. Thompson, daughter of Giles Thompson (1819-1881) and Theresa Goodman (1828-1881), on 1 Oct. 1887 in Newark, NY. She was born 26 July 1864 in Hopewell, Ontario Co., NY. They lived at 86 East Main St., Clifton Springs, NY. The family was in the 1900 census in Phelps, Ontario Co., NY, showing William as a mason who owned a mortgaged home. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
27. Frank Graves, b. 16 Dec. 1888. Lived in Williamson, NY.
28. Iva L. Graves, b. 18 June 1891, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Taylor. Lived in Canandaigua, NY.
29. Maud E. Graves, b. 15 Feb. 1894. Lived in Clifton Springs, NY.
30. Ethel A. Graves, b. 5 June 1900, m. Harold Everett.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (9) AND ANNA ARCHER
Ella May Graves (15) was born 1 Aug. 1888. She married Roy Farnsworth (or Farnsforth), son of Bird Farnsworth (or Farnsforth) and Leora King, on 7 June 1911 in Clifton Springs, Ontario Co., NY. He was born in 1887 in Hopewell, Ontario Co., NY.
All five of their children were living in the county of Ontario, Town of Manchester, Village of Shortsville, at the time of their grandmother Anna Archer Graves' death on Feb. 19, 1925. Her will was dated Sept. 23, 1924, and her husband John Graves died in 1924. Her estate was valued at $2,137 but there was no real estate. What is puzzling is that these children are said to be of "full age", yet their mother was only 37 years old. Ella was executrix of her mother's will. The granddaughter, Ella, was also left the contents of the room occupied by Anna, meaning Ella would have gotten all of her pictures, documents, etc. (R‑1)
Children - Farnsworth
31. Mignon Jeannette Farnsworth
32. Laura Elizabeth Farnsworth
33. Ella May Farnsworth
34. Ethel Arleta Farnsworth
35. Roy John Farnsworth
Cora Belle Graves (16) was born 16 Jan. 1890. She first married Roy Williams. She married second Harold Weed. (R‑1)
Children - Williams
36. Enid Eloise Williams
CHILDREN OF FLORENCE GRAVES (10) AND JACK POTTER
Hattie Potter (21) was born 23 Feb. 1891. She married Henry Kransler. He was born 15 July 1890 in Flint, MI, and died in April 1963. (R‑1)
Children - Kransler
37. Leon Kransler, b. 30 Sept. 1921, d. Oct. 1971 (Canandaigua, NY).
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page