Rev. 18 Jan. 2005, Gen. 918
DESCENDANTS OF PARENTS OF NICEA GREEVES WHO MARRIED THOMAS BREEDEN AND CHRISTINA GREEVES WHO MARRIED WILLIAM FOWLER OF CALVERT CO., MD
‑‑‑‑‑‑ Greeves (1) lived in Calvert Co., MD. The 1800 census for Christ Church Parish, Calvert Co., MD, page 437, listed Hezekiah Greeaves, with 1 male 16-25 (probably him), 1 female under 10, 1 female 10-15, and 1 female 16-25. Hezekiah could not be found in later census records. The 1830 census for Calvert Co., MD, page 257, listed Absolum Greeves, with 1 male 20-30, and 1 female 30-40. It is possible that Hezekaih was the father of Absolum and the children listed below.
Children - Greeves
+2. Christina Greeves, b. 15 March 1808, m. William Fowler, d. 13 Nov. 1890.
+3. Nicea Greeves, b. 24 Jan. 1810, m. Thomas Breeden, c. 1832, d. 26 Feb. 1887.
4. Robert Greeves, possible son. Bur. in Greene Co. Chapel Cem., Greene Co., IN.
CHILDREN OF ------ GREEVES (1)
Christina Greeves (2) was born 15 March 1808 in MD, and died 13 Nov. 1890. She married William Fowler. He was born 16 Jan. 1803 in MD, and died 19 April 1892. They were both buried in Adams/Breeden Cem., Van Buren Twp., Monroe Co., IN. Their first 2 children were born in MD, and the others in IN. (R‑1)
Children - Fowler
5. Elizabeth Fowler, b.c. 1834.
6. William W. Fowler, b.c. 1839.
7. Patterson Fowler, b.c. 1841.
8. Mary Isabelle Fowler, b.c. 1842 (Stanford, Monroe Co., IN), m. Thomas Isaac Baker, d.c. 1900. He was b.c. 1840 and d. 1921. She was bur. Greene County Chapel, Greene Co., IN.
9. Jesse Fowler, b. 24 Sept. 1844.
10. Alexander Fowler, b.c. 1847.
11. Robert Fowler, b.c. 1850.
Nicea (or Nicia) Greeves (3) was born 24 Jan. 1810 in Calvert Co., MD, and died 26 Feb. 1887 in Monroe Co., IN. She married Thomas Breeden, son of Jacob Breeden (1782-1875) and Elizabeth Gardiner/Gardner, about 1832 in Calvert Co., MD. He was born about 1810 in Calvert Co., MD, and died 5 Nov. 1881 in Monroe Co., IN. They were both buried in Adams/Breeden Cem., Van Buren Twp., Monroe Co., IN. They were in the 1850 census for Beech Creek Twp., Greene Co., IN. Their first child was born in Calvert Co., MD, and the others in Greene Co., IN.
Thomas was a farmer and stock dealer. He was part of a group of settlers that moved from Calvert Co., MD to eastern Greene Co., IN in 1834. The community where they settled (around the Greene County Chapel area) came to be known as “Maryland Ridge”. According to Greene County Family History, 1885-1989, “Thomas and the other men in the group had to clear the land for farming and cut logs to build their homes and barns. A blacksmith in the group made their working tools. All the work in building, planting, cultivating, harvesting and building roads was done as a group. Thomas donated ground for the building of a log church and a cemetery which was to be used for free burial. Again the men cooperated in digging the graves when necessary.” (R‑1)
Children - Breeden
+12. John Thomas Breeden, b. 8 Jan. 1834, m(1) Emily J. Edwards, 28 Sept. 1854, m(2) Malinda Jane Medaris, 5 June 1862, d. 23 Dec. 1914.
13. Robert U. Breeden, b. 27 Aug. 1836, m. Ann E. Coster, Feb. 1860 (IN), d. 20 May 1891 (Greene Co., IN). He was bur. Adams/Breeden Cem., Van Buren Twp., Monroe Co., IN. She was b. 1842 and d. 1921.
14. Jacob Breeden, b. 1837, d. before 1919.
15. Rebecca A. Breeden, b. 4 May 1839, m. Joseph H. Whaley, Jan. 1858 (Monroe Co., IN), d. 1 Aug. 1859. Bur. Adams/Breeden Cem., Van Buren Twp., Monroe Co., IN. He was b. 1833 and d. 1917.
16. Elizabeth J. Breeden, b. 4 Oct. 1840, m. Joseph H. Whaley, Feb. 1860 (Monroe Co., IN), d. 28 Feb. 1899 (Greene Co., IN). There is a triple headstone for Joseph, Rebecca and Elizabeth in the Adams/Breeden Cem.
17. Drusilla Breeden, b. 5 Feb. 1842, m. Samuel Wesley (“Sam”) Whaley, 22 Dec. 1859 (Monroe Co., IN), d. 2 Feb. 1919. He was b. 1839 and d. 1920.
18. Mary Evelyn Breeden, b. 30 Sept. 1843, m. William Anderson Edwards, 6 Jan. 1870 (Greene Co., IN), d. 21 Feb. 1884 (Greene Co., IN, when her son Robert Perry Breeden was 3 weeks old). William was b. 1836.
19. Sarah J. (or I.) Breeden, b. 25 Dec. 1846, m. Andrew Dyer (or Dyeriffes), Jan. 1869, d. 21 Sept. 1879. Bur. Adams/Breeden Cem., Van Buren Twp., Monroe Co., IN.
20. Richard P. Breeden, b. 1849, m. Sarah A. Sparks, 22 Sept. 1867 (Monroe Co., IN), d. 11 Jan. 1930. He may have been bur. in Bloomfield, IN area.
CHILDREN OF NICEA GREEVES (3) AND THOMAS BREEDEN
John Thomas Breeden (12) was born 8 Jan. 1834, and died 23 Dec. 1914 of pneumonia in Greene Co., IN. He first married Emily J. Edwards on 28 Sept. 1854 in Greene Co., IN. She was born about 1833, died in 1861, and was buried in Breeden Cem., Stanford, Monroe Co., IN. He married second Malinda Jane Medaris on 5 June 1862 in Owen Co., IN. She was born about 1838, died in 1908, and was buried at Greene County Chapel, Greene Co., IN, with John. He was a minister and traveled on horseback to wherever he was needed. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Breeden
21. Jonathan Haston Breeden, b.c. 1863, m(1) Lenora Baxter, m(2) Mary Larson, d. 1949.
22. Sarah Lucretia Breeden, b. 11 Nov. 1866, d. 10 Dec. 1866.
23. Jacob G. Breeden, b.c. 1868, m. Ida G. Sparks, 1890, d. 1948.
24. Hannah Oma Breeden, b. 12 June 1872 (Greene Co., IN), m. Walter Burch, 4 March 1897, d. 5 Nov. 1932.
25. Emma Orlettie Breeden, b. 8 March 1878, m. Robert P. Weaver, 24 Feb. 1898, d. 15 March 1941.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page