Rev. 31 Oct. 2009, Gen. 924
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GREAVES AND SUSANNA TOMKINS OF PRESTON BISSETT & TINGEWICK, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND
John Greaves (1) was born in Preston Bissett, Buckinghamshire, England, perhaps about 1800, and died after 1836. He married Susanna Tomkins, perhaps about 1820, in Finmere, Oxfordshire. She was born in 1802-1806 in Finmere, Oxfordshire. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
+2. James Greaves, b.c. 1817-1826, m. Sarah Denny, 18 Oct. 1842.
3. Emanuel (Manewell) Greaves, b.c. 1827 (Buckinghamshire).
4. Elizabeth Greaves, bapt. 30 June 1836 (Tingewick, Bucks.).
5. Mary Greaves, bapt. 30 June 1836 (Tingewick, Bucks.).
CHILDREN OF JOHN GREAVES (1) AND SUSANNA TOMPKINS
James Greaves (2) was born about 1817 (or 1823 or 1826) in Tingewick (or Preston Bissett), Buckinghamshire, England, and apparently died before 1851. He married Sarah Denny, daughter of William Denny and Mary Stevens, on 18 Oct. 1842 in Preston Bissett, Buckinghamshire, England. She was born about 1823 in Preston Bissett, Bucks. She was in the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Preston Bissett, with 3 children, head of household, lacemaker, listed as married in 1851 and widowed in 1861. All 3 of their children were probably born in Tingewick, although Edwin was also listed as born in Preston Bissett. (R‑1)
Children - Greaves
+6. William Thomas Greaves, b. 20 Sept. 1843, m. Emma Eagles, 18 Sept. 1865, d. 19 Jan. 1915.
+7. Maria Greaves, b.c. 1846, m. John Aris, 1 Dec. 1862, d. 1888-1891.
+8. Edwin Greaves, b. 16 Oct. 1848, m. Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. after 1881.
CHILDREN OF JAMES GREAVES (2) AND SARAH DENNY
William Thomas Greaves (6) was born 20 (or 11) Sept. 1843 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, England, was baptized 29 Oct. 1843 in Tingewick, died 19 Jan. 1915 in Rishton, Lancashire, England, and was buried in St. Harwood, Lancastershire, England. He married Emma Eagles, daughter of William Eagles and Elizabeth Elkington, on 18 Sept. 1865 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire. She was born 27 Nov. 1844 in Newton Purcell, Oxford, England, and died 5 Nov. 1928 in Rishton, Lancashire. Their first 5 children were born in Tingewick, and the last 3 in Rishton.
In a newspaper article of about 1927 in the Blackburn Times: “The oldest lady and gentleman who attended the recent old folks’ treat at Richton were Mrs. Emma Greaves and Mr. Mark Tomlinson. Neither was born in the township, but their combined years of residence in Rishton are close upon a hundred. Seen this week by a “Blackburn Times” representative, Mrs. Emma Greaves, of 10 Spring Street, Rishton, appeared, despite her blindness, to have no serious grumble at the way events had turned during her 83 years of life. It was in 1874 that she came to reside in Rishton. “I like it very well; it is a healthy little place,” she commented. Her maiden name was Eagles, and she was born at Newton-Purcell, Buckingham, but moved to Preston Bissett when very young. At six years of age working days began, and as a girl Mrs. Greaves took up the art of lace-making. “You did not get much pay, but you had what you earned.” Was her summary of the money-making possibilities. While in Rishton the elderly lady has utilized her skill as a lace maker to good purpose. Scarcity of work in their home county decided Mrs. Greaves and her late husband, Mr. William Thomas Greaves, to try their fortunes in Lancashire, and now Mrs. Greaves, who resides with her daughter, has two brothers and two sisters – a couple of them are septuagenarians – living near her in Rishton. A fall three years ago, when she broke her arm, has been followed by loss of sight, but otherwise Mrs. Greaves’ health is quite good considering her years. The usual query as to the reason for her longevity met with the reply: “I couldn’t say. Plain living, I think.” At 73 years of age she travelled alone to see her daughter in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and still has happy memories of the trip. She added, “I could sail all my life if they would let me. I’d go again tomorrow if I had the chance, just for the sail.” She expressed a preference for the old country. Five of her 10 children are still living, three in Rishton and two in America. There are also 14 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.” (R‑1)
Children - Greaves
9. Ann (“Annie”) Greaves, b. 26 March 1865, m. John William Hulme, d. 4 June 1947.
+10. James William Greaves, b. 12 Nov. 1866, m. Mary Florence Lloyd, 4 Aug. 1894, d. 10 July 1949.
11. Emma Jane Greaves, b. 14 Nov. 1868, m. Joseph Hacking, d. 26 Dec. 1950.
12. Elizabeth Ann Greaves, b. 19 July 1871, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Holton, d. 1876. This death date can’t be correct if she married.
13. Harry Greaves, b. 19 March 1873, d. 1874 (England).
14. Sarah Ann (or Sarah Elizabeth) Greaves, b. 22 Feb. 1875, m. Benjamin Holton, d. 26 April 1960.
15. Phoebe Greaves, b. 14 July 1877, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Davis, d. 1885. This death date can’t be correct if she married.
16. Harriet Greaves, b. 1 Aug. 1881, m. James Langen.
Maria Greaves (7) was born about 1846 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, and died 1888-1891. She married John Aris, son of Thomas Aris and Mary Ann Horwood, on 1 Dec. 1862 in Tingewick. He was born in Tingewick, was baptized 25 Dec. 1838 in Finmere, Oxfordshire, and died after 1901. All their children were born in Tingewick. (R‑1)
Children - Aris
+17. Mary Ann Aris, bapt. 1 Nov. 1863, m. Henry Charles Watts, d. after 1895.
+18. Cecilia Aris, b.c. 1866-67, m. Frank Thomas Tasker, d. after 1901.
19. Sarah Ann Aris, b.c. 1869, d. after 1891.
20. child, b. before 1870.
+21. George Aris, bapt. 5 March 1871, m. Clara Eleanor Blackwell, 20 Sept. 1897, d. after 1912.
22. Emmanuel Aris, b. 2 April 1873, bapt. 22 June 1873, d. 10 Jan. 1874 (Tingewick, Bucks.).
23. [Edwin] James Aris, b. 24 Feb. 1875, bapt. 25 April 1875 (Brackley Wesleyan Methodist, Northamptonshire), d. after 1901.
24. Albert Aris, b.c. June 1880, d. after 1891.
25. Wallace Aris, b.c. 1885, d. after 1901.
26. Leonard Aris, b.c. 1888, d. after 1901.
Edwin Greaves (8) was born 16 Oct. 1848 and was baptized 24 April 1858, both in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, and died after 1881. He married Ann (“Annie”) ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1844 or 1850 in Farlington, Yorkshire, and died after 1881. (R‑2)
Children - Greaves
27. Sarah Ann Greaves, b.c. 1880 (Strensall, Yorkshire), d. after 1881.
28. Albert Greaves, b.c. 1887 (Towthorpe, Yorkshire).
+29. Ada Greaves, b.c. 1890, m. Sidney Haines, 7 Feb. 1922, d. 31 Dec. 1960.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM T. GREAVES (6) AND EMMA EAGLE
James William Greaves (8) was born 12 Nov. 1866 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, England, died 10 July 1949 in Mill Creek, Salt Lake Co., UT, and was buried 13 July 1949 in Elysian Burial Gardens, Salt Lake Co., UT. He married Mary Florence Lloyd, daughter of John Thomas Lloyd and Lillian Sykes, on 4 Aug. 1894. She was born 19 March 1874 in Whitwood, Castleford, Yorkshire, England, died 2 May 1947 in Mill Creek, Salt Lake Co., UT, and was also buried in Elysian Burial Gardens. Their first 3 children were born in Rishton, Lancashire, and the last one in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., UT. (R‑1)
Children - Greaves
+30. Enid Greaves, b. 10 Jan. 1896, m. John Milton Park, 3 March 1914, d. 14 March 1971.
31. James Raymond Greaves, b. and d. 6 May 1904.
32. Irene Greaves, b. 6 May 1904, d. 8 May 1904 (Rishton, Lancashire).
33. William Lloyd Greaves, b. 25 Feb. 1907, m. Olive Hill, 8 Dec. 1933, d. 27 Aug. 1982 (UT).
CHILDREN OF MARIA GREAVES (7) AND JOHN ARIS
Mary Ann Aris (17) was baptized 1 Nov. 1863 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, and died after 1895. She married Henry Charles Watts, son of Edward Watts. He was baptized 1 Nov. 1863 in Tingewick, and died after 1895. He was a general servant in Kingston upon Thames in 1881, a servant in 1891 in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, and a butler in 1895 in Tingewick. (R‑2)
Children - Watts
34. Arthur Leonard Aris, b. 25 Dec. 1887 (Tingewick, Bucks.).
Cecilia Aris (18) was born about 1866-67 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, and died after 1901. She married Frank Thomas Tasker. The two children listed below, both born and baptized in Tingewick, may have been by someone else before her marriage. (R‑2)
Children - Aris
35. Beatrice Maria Aris, b.c. 1891, bapt. 4 Oct. 1891, d. 6 Sept. 1900 (Tingewick). But. 9 Sept. 1900 in Tingewick.
36. Frank Aris, bapt. 14 April 1895, d. 19 Oct. 1915 (France).
George Aris (21) was baptized 5 March 1871 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, and died after 1912 in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. He married Clara Eleanor Blackwell, daughter of Thomas Blackwell and Elizabeth Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 20 Sept. 1897 in Tingewick. She was born 1875-1878 in Lillingstone Lovell, Oxfordshire, and died after 1912 in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. All their children were born and baptized in Tingewick. (R‑2)
Children - Aris
37. Walter George Aris, bapt. 7 Aug. 1898, d. 10 Oct. 1918 (France).
38. Cecilia (or Selina) Annie Aris, b. 25 March 1900, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Swan, d. Jan. 1995.
39. Albert Aris, b.c. 1902, m. Dorothy ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 1980.
40. Arthur Aris, b.c. 1904.
41. Beatrice Aris, b.c. 1906.
CHILDREN OF EDWIN GREAVES (8) AND ANN ------
Ada Greaves (29) was born about 1890 in Strensall, Yorkshire, and died 31 Dec. 1960 in Yorkshire. She married Sidney Haines, son of William Haines and Sarah A. Swain, on 7 Feb. 1922 in Yorkshire. (R‑2)
Children - Haines
48. Roy Desmond Haines, b. 1925 (Flaxton, Strensall, Yorks.), d. 1970 (Huddersfield, Yorks.).
49. Sylvia Haines, b. 7 Sept. 1930, d. Aug. 1995 (Leeds, Yorkshire).
CHILDREN OF JAMES W. GREAVES (8) AND MARY F. LLOYD
Enid Greaves (30) was born 10 Jan. 1896 in Rishton, Lancashire, England, died 14 March 1971 in Ogden, Weber Co., UT, and was buried 18 March 1971 in Bountiful, Davis Co., UT. She married John Milton Park, son of James Gordon Park and Lillian Phillips, on 3 March 1914 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., UT. He was born 20 April 1895 in Mill Creek, Salt Lake Co., UT, and died 21 Dec. 1985 in Layton, Davis Co., UT. All their children were born in Mill Creek, UT. (R‑1)
Children - Park
+50. James Milton Park, b. 5 Oct. 1915, m. Wanda Hogan, 25 Nov. 1936, d. 21 July 1993.
+51. Alma Park, b. 15 Dec. 1916, m. Melva Argyle, 30 April 1937.
+52. Enid Mary Park, b. 7 March 1918, m(1) Karl James Haacke, 10 March 1936, m(2) Earl Hamblin, 29 March 1952, d. 13 Sept. 1999.
53. child, stillborn.
+54. Jean Park, b. 21 June 1925, m(1) Charles Kenneth Martinson, 10 Sept. 1943, m(2) James Herbert Petersen, 19 Oct. 1958.
55. daughter, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Cottrell. He was son of Carl Bruce Cottrell and Leone Stringham. 4 children, all married with children.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 Finmere is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, south of the River Great Ouse. It is almost 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Buckingham in Buckinghamshire and just over 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Brackley in Northamptonshire. Its location is sometimes confusing because of its proximity to Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire.