Rev. 16 Dec. 2006, Gen. 952
DESCENDANTS OF ABRAHAM GRIEVE AND ELIZABETH ------ OF NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
Abraham Grieve (1) was born about 1790 in Hexham, Northumberland, England. He married Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1780 in Hexham, Northumberland. They were in the 1841 census of Warkworth, Northumberland, with 3 children. They were in the 1851 census of Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, their surname given as Greaves, with no children. He was an agriculteral labourer.
Children – Grieve
2. Isabella Grieve, b.c. 1821.
+3. Abraham Grieve, b.c. 1826, m. Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. June 1884.
4. Gideon Grieve, b.c. 1827. Shoemaker’s apprentice in 1841.
CHILDREN OF ABRAHAM GRIEVE (1) AND ELIZABETH ------
Abraham Grieve (3) was born about 1826 in Widdrington, and died in June 1884 in Rothbury, both in Northumberland, England. He married Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑ before the 1851 census. She was born about 1828 in Embleton, Northumberland, England. They were in the 1861 census of Rennington, Northumberland, in the household of Robert Bowey, unmarried, 53, and Abraham, Elizabeth, and their children were all listed as nieces and nephews of Robert. Abraham was a coal miner in 1841 and a carter in 1861. Their first 3 children were born in Embleton, the next 2 in Rennington, and the last in Meldon, all in Northumberland. (R‑1)
Children – Grieve
+5. Thomas Grieve, b.c. 1852, m(1) Isabella ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) Mary Jane Redpath, March 1890.
6. John Robert Grieve, b.c. 1858.
7. Isabella Grieve, b.c. Dec. 1860, d. Dec. 1867 (Glendale, Northumberland).
8. Matthew Grieve, b. and d. c. 1862 (Rennington, Northumberland).
9. William Grieve, b.c. 1864, m. Margaret Jane Charlton, before 31 March 1901. She was b.c. 1875 in West Sleekburn, Cambois, Northumberland).
10. Frederick Grieve, b. Aug. 1870.
CHILDREN OF ABRAHAM GRIEVE (3) AND ELIZABETH ------
Thomas Grieve (5) was born about 1852 in Embleton, Northumberland. He first married Isabella ‑‑‑‑‑‑ before 1877. She was born about 1854 in Lowick, Northumberland, and died in Dec. 1888 in South Shields, Co. Durham. He married second Mary Jane Redpath in March 1890 in South Shields, Co. Durham. She was born about 1866 in White Lea, Northumberland. His first child was born in Acton, Northumberland, the next 3 in Rothbury, Northumberland, and the others in Jarrow, Co. Durham. He was in the 1901 census for Jarrow, Grange Ward, Durham, listed as Grieves, with wife Mary, both born in Rennington, Northumberland, 5 of his children, all born in Jarrow, and his brother Frederick. (R‑1)
Children – Grieve/Grieves, by Isabella ------
11. Elizabeth R. Grieve, b.c. 1877.
12. Frederick William Grieve, b.c. 1879, d. March 1887 (South Shields, Co. Durham).
13. Samuel J. Grieve, b.c. Jan. 1881.
14. Mary L. J. Grieves, b.c. 1882.
15. Margaret Ellen Grieves, b.c. Sept. 1884.
16. John Andrew T. Grieves, b.c. Sept. 1886.
Children – Grieves, by Mary J. Redpath
17. Henry Grieves, b. after 5 April 1891.
18. Alfred Grieves, b.c. 1893.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page