Rev. 19 Dec. 2008, Gen. 976
DESCENDANTS OF EDWARD GRAVES, MARY SANDERSON & ANN ‑‑‑‑‑‑ OF LINCOLNSHIRE, NEAR LOUTH, ENGLAND
Edward Graves (1) was born about 1788-1791 in Gayton le Marsh, Lincolnshire, England, and died in 1854. He first married Mary Sanderson. She died in 1840, and was buried 15 March 1840, both in Legbourne, Lincolnshire. He married second Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1806 in Stallingborough, Lincs. He was in the 1841 census for Legbourne, Lincs., with no wife. He was in the 1851 census for Legbourne, Lincs., with his second wife Ann, and his children by her. Edward was listed as a carpenter in 1841, and as a carpenter and retailer of beer in 1851. Ann was in the 1861 census for Legbourne as a widow, with son Edward, and they were living in what was called the beer house. Children Francis, Mary and Edward were born in Legbourne, and the others probably were also. (R‑1)
Children Graves, by Mary Sanderson
2. Edward Graves, b.c. 1821. Not found in census records after 1841.
+3. Francis Sanderson Graves, b.c. 1826, m. Mary C. Wood, 1845.
4. John Graves, b.c. 1832, probably died by 1851. Not in 1851 or 1861 censuses.
Children Graves, by Ann ------
5. Mary A. Graves, b.c. 1844.
+6. Edward Mumby Graves, b.c. 1848, m. Mary Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
CHILDREN OF EDWARD GRAVES (1)
Francis Sanderson Graves (3) was born about 1826 in Legbourne, Lincolnshire. He married Mary C. Wood, daughter of Joseph Wood and Susanna Wright, in 1845 in Louth, Lincs. She was born about 1826 in Little Cawthorpe, Lincs. It appears that one or both of them may have died by 1871, since they could not be found in that census, and their surviving children seem to have been working as servants in various households in the area.
They were in the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Little Cawthorpe, Lincs. He was a carpenter. Their children Harriet, Joseph and Lizzie were born in Legbourne, and the others in Little Cawthorpe. (R‑1)
+7. Harriet Wood Graves, b.c. 1848, m. Vincent Broomfield, Dec. 1969.
+8. Isaac Graves, b.c. 1848 or 1850, m. Harriet ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
9. John Graves, b.c. 1852.
10. Susan Graves, b.c. 1854. Not found in 1871 census.
11. Joseph Graves, b.c. 1856.
12. Mary Ann Graves, b.c. 1858.
13. Francis Graves, b.c. 1860. Not found in 1871 census.
14. Lizzie Graves, b.c. 1863.
Edward Mumby Graves (6) was born about 1848 in Legbourne, Lincolnshire. He married Mary Ann ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1850 in Notting Hill or Kensington, London. He was listed as Edward M. Graves in the 1851, 1861 and 1891 censuses for Legbourne, and as Mumby Graves in the 1881 census. They were in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses for Legbourne, Lincs. He was a wheelwright and carpenter.
In the 1901 census,Florence E. Wolfe, granddaughter, 11 months, was living with them. Living next to them was George Graves, 64, with wife Sophia Graves, 59, and Herbert Graves, 39, with wife Julia A. Graves, 43, George, Herbert and Julia all born in Legbourne. Herbert was a son of William Graves, b.c. 1833, who was a son of Thomas and Eleanor Graves, and George was a brother of William. Was Thomas (of geneealogy 977) a son of the William of this genealogy?
15. Charles Edward Graves, b.c. 1871 (Saltfleetby), m. Eleanor ‑‑‑‑‑‑. In 1901 census for Muckton, Lincs., with no children. He was a wheelwright. She was b.c. 1865 in Legbourne, Lincs.
16. Annie E. Graves, b.c. 1872 (Scamblesby).
+17. William A. Graves, b.c. 1874, m. Mary J. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+18. Rosa Graves, b.c. 1876 (Scamblesby), m. Herbert Wolfe.
19. Kate Graves, b.c. 1877 (Legbourne).
20. Ellen (Nelly) Graves, b.c. 1879 (Legbourne).
21. Eliza Graves, b.c. 1882 (Legbourne).
CHILDREN OF FRANCIS S. GRAVES (3) AND MARY C. WOOD
Harriet Wood Graves (7) was born about 1848 in Legbourne, Lincolnshire. She married Vincent Broomfield, son of Robert Broomfield and Elizabeth Graves Hardy, in Dec. 1869 in Louth, Lincs. He was born about 1848 in Saltfleetby, Lincs. They were in the 1871 and 1881 censuses for Saltfleetby St. Peter, Lincs. He was a general shopkeeper and farmer of 8 acres in 1871, and a grocer and farmer in 1881. Both their children were born in Saltfleetby. (R‑1)
22. Lizzie Broomfield, b. Sept. 1870.
+23. Fanny Broomfield, b. June 1872, m. Charles Parish, 15 Dec. 1894, d. 5 Oct. 1957.
Isaac Graves (8) was born about 1848 or 1850 in Little Cawthorpe, Lincolnshire. He married Harriet ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1852 in Binbrook, Lincs. They were in the 1891 and 1901 censuses for Great Grimsby, Lincs. He was a licensed victualler in 1891 and a dock labourer in 1901. (R‑1)
24. George F. Graves, b.c. 1876 (Louth, Lincs.). In 1891 census, but not found in 1901 census.
25. Horace N. Graves, b.c. 1890 (Grimsby, Lincs.).
CHILDREN OF EDWARD M. GRAVES (6) AND MARY ANN ------
William A. Graves (17) was born about 1874-1877 in Scamblesby, Lincolnshire. He married Mary J. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1879 in Grimsby, Lincs. They were in the 1901 census for Great Grimsby, Lincs. He was a joiner carpenter.
26. Elsie M. Graves, b.c. 1900 (Grimsby, Lincs.).
Rosa Graves (18) was born about 1876 in Scamblesby, Lincolnshire. She married Herbert Wolfe. He was born about 1876 in Louth, Lincs. They were in the 1901 census for Louth, Lincs. Their daughter Florence was living with her grandparents, Edward and Mary Graves, in 1901.
27. Florence E. Wolfe, b. 1900 (Louth, Lincs.).
CHILDREN OF HARRIET W. GRAVES (7) AND VINCENT BROOMFIELD
Fanny Broomfield (23) was born in June 1872 in Saltfleetby, Lincs., and died 5 Oct. 1957 in Hogsthorpe, Lincs. She married Charles Parish, son of Thomas Parish and Ann Simpson, on 15 Dec. 1894 in Legbourne, Lincs. He was born in Burgh le Marsh, Bratoft, was christened 24 Feb. 1870 in Burgh, and died 7 Sept. 1948 in Hogsthorpe, all in Lincolnshire. All their children were born in Hogsthorpe, Lincs. (R‑1)
28. Frank Parish, b. 1899, m. Connie Rhodes.
29. Robert Parish, b. 1897, d. 12 Nov. 1918 (France).
30. Thomas Vincent Parish, b. 4 Aug. 1895, d. 23 Jan. 1969 (Lincolnshire).
31. Nellie Parish, b. 8 April 1901, d. 1983.
32. Violet Parish, b. 25 Feb. 1911, d. 5 March 1988.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page