The tracing of ancestry for Native Americans is especially difficult. This page will identify some of the resources available for genealogical research, as well as some of the information available on this website.
Genealogies on the GFA Website
Although there are many descendants of Graves and Greaves families descended from native Americans, no family has been found whose earliest known male Graves ancestor was native American. Some of the families that have many intermarriages and connections with native Americans are listed below.
- Peter Graves of Canada and Minnesota (genealogy 38).
- John Graves and Margery Harvey of Randolph Co., NC (genealogy 77).
- Gillam Graves of Randolph Co., NC (genealogy 242)
DNA Testing and Test Results
No one who has been tested so far in our DNA study has been shown to descend from a native American ancestor through either the direct male or direct female line.
Sources for learning more
- Family Tree DNA website. If you want to order a DNA test, do it as part of the Graves DNA project, since it will be less expensive and we will help you interpret the results.
- Native American Indian Genealogy
- Native American research on Cyndi's List
- Help from the U.S. Department of the Interior
- Help from the National Archives and the 1860-1890 census records.
- The African-Native American History & Genealogy web page.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy sites for Native American Research