Past GFA Chapter Meetings
Mid-Atlantic Chapter - Contact John Graves for more information.
- Sat., Oct. 20, 2007 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, noon, Graves Mill, VA
- Sat., Sept. 18, 2007 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 2-5 PM, Army Navy Club, Arlington, VA
- Sat., May 19, 2007 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, noon, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester, VA, followed by dinner at 6 p.m. at the Ashby Inn and Restaurant in Paris, VA.
- Sat., March 17, 2007 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 2-5 PM, Army Navy Club, Arlington, VA
- Sun., Jan. 28, 2007 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 3-6 PM, Army Navy Club, Arlington, VA. Ken Graves was the speaker.
- Sat., Nov. 18, 2006 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 2-5 PM, Army Navy Club, Arlington, VA
- Sat., Sept. 16, 2006 - Mid-Atlantic Chapter, 2-5 PM, Courtyard by Mariott, Landover, MD
- Friday & Saturday, July 27-28 2007, Inaugural meeting of the GFA Southwest Chapter, Clarion Hotel, Waco, TX, for all Graves/Greaves descendants. Registration and reception Friday afternoon, and dinner and get-together Friday evening. On Saturday, meetings, lunch, and discussions from about 8:30 a.m. until about 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday, June 23-24, 2007, Inaugural reunion for the Ohio Valley Chapter, all Graves and Greaves families, Frankfort, KY, at the Hampton Inn, 1310 U.S. 127 South. Saturday, Registration 1-4 PM, and Meet, Greet and Share 1-8 PM. Sunday, 9 AM-3:30 PM. Ken Graves spoke on Sunday, and was there on Saturday evening also.
Past GFA Reunions
- Thursday, Jan. 31, 7:00- 8:30 p.m., in the Henderson Room, 2nd floor, Main Library, Leon County Public Library, 200 West Park Ave., Tallahassee, FL.
- Tuesday, Jan. 29, 7:00 p.m., Charlotte, NC, at the home of Will Graves, 211 Towill Place, Charlotte, NC, in southeastern Charlotte.
- Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008, 12 noon-2:30 p.m., Yancey House Restaurant, 699 US Highway 158 West, Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, phone 339-694-4225. Attendees ordered brunch from the New Orleans Jazz Brunch menu. After the conversation during the brunch, there was an informal presentation and Q&A.
The heart of YanceyVillage is the Bartlett Yancey House built in 1807 by one of North Carolina's greatest and most beloved statesmen. The home sits on a spacious 153-acre estate west of Yanceyville and is surrounded by the original smokehouse, a Federal period law office, and probably the largest tobacco barn in North Carolina. East of the house is the Yancey family graveyard, where Bartlett Yancey and his descendents are buried. The house was opened in Nov. 2006 as the Yancey House Restaurant.
This is actually the house of Bartlett Yancey, Jr., born 19 Feb. 1785 and died in 1828, son of Bartlett Yancey and Ann Graves (daughter of John Graves and Isabella Lea). He married his cousin, Nancy Graves, daughter of John Herndon Graves and Nancy Slade. Among his accomplishments, he was speaker of the NC State Senate and a member of the U.S. Congress, 1813-1817. This family was previously believed to be descended from Capt. Thomas Graves of VA family (gen. 169), but is now known to be from John Graves/Greaves of Virginia and Northamptonshire, England (gen. 270), which is the line of both Ken Graves and Clark Graves who helped organize this meeting.
- Saturday, Jan. 26, 2008, noon to 3:00 p.m., at the Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, VA. This was a regular meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the GFA. There was be a light buffet in the meeting room as attendees assembled. Ken Graves talked about “Graves and Greaves Families from Europe to America: What we know and what we need to find”.
- Thurs.-Sunday, June 14-17, 2007, Williamsburg, VA - National Reunion - 400th Anniversary of the founding of the Jamestowne settlement and the arrival of Capt. Thomas Graves. There were close to 250 attendees over the 4-day period at the Patrick Henry Inn. For more information, see the 2007 Reunion Report.
- Sunday, Sept. 17, 2006, Middleburg Heights, OH (near Cleveland) - Meeting and dinner at Comfort Inn-Cleveland Airport.
- May 10-May 17, 2006 - Graves/Greaves/Grave/Grieve(s) gatherings in all parts of England as part of a tour of England by Ken Graves. Locations and dates were Chester (May 10), Keswick (May 11), Sunderland (May 12), York (May 13), Boston (May 14), Coventry (May 15), Cottenham (May 16), and London (May 17). In addition to some sightseeing, we met many family members, gathered family information, and collected DNA samples.
- Sunday, March 12, 2006, Doraville, GA (suburban Atlanta) - Lunch and meeting at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. See the newspaper article in Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 16, 2006.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2006, Annapolis, MD - Dinner at Red Lobster Restaurant followed by meeting at Hampton Inn for all Graves/Greaves descendants.
- Saturday, Aug. 20, 2005, Wrentham, MA - Gathering and cookout for all Graves and Greaves families at the home of Ken and Sarah Graves, 2-6 p.m.
- Weekend of July 29-30, 2005, San Antonio, TX - Descendants of all Graves and Greaves families welcome. Ken Graves was there, and there was discussion of the DNA study, the various families and their ancestry, trips to England, the Jamestowne 400th anniversary celebration, etc.
- Wed.-Sat., May 12-15, 1999, Richmond, VA, at the National Genealogical Society Conference.
- Thurs., Oct. 22, 1998, Portland, ME, at New England Regional Genealogical Conference
- Thurs., May 7, 1998, Denver, CO, at National Genealogical Society Conference
- Thu., Sept. 4, 1997 Dallas, TX, at the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference
- Sat., May 10, 1997, Williamsburg, VA, Williamsburg Marriott, following the Jamestowne Society meeting
- Thu., May 8, 1997, Valley Forge, PA, at National Genealogical Society Conference
- Fri.-Sun., Sept. 27-29, 1996, National Graves Family Reunion, Dallas, TX
Recent Traditional Graves Family Reunions
- July 18-20, 2008
Reunion of all descendants of Paschal Graves (genealogy 169) at Graves Mountain Lodge, Syria, VA. Hosted by owners Jim and Rachel Graves.
- Sunday,May 27, 2007, Wingate, NC - Reunion for all descendants of John Ellis Graves, Sr. (descended from John Graves and Margery Harvey of VA & Randolph Co., NC, genealogy 77). They gathered at the Wingate Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, located in the hamlet of Wingate, NC. The doors opened at noon, with lunch starting at 1 PM. For more information, email Martin Graves.
- Sunday, May 27, 2007, Baptist Campground, Laquey, MO This is the 8th annual Graves Cousins Family Reunion (for descendants of Lancelot Graves of Northampton Co., VA, genealogies 276 and 126). It started at 10:00 AM and lunch was at noon. For more information, email Kathy Graves.
- Saturday,May 26, 2007, Wichita, KS - (Changed from the original location in Anthony, KS.) Reunion for all descendants of William Anderson ("Ance") Graves (descended from immigrant Thomas Graves of Hartford, CT, genealogy 168). For more information, contact Mayford Graves, 316-684-1533, or email Peggy Newsome.
- July 16 & 17, 2005, Siler City, NC - The 3rd annual reunion of the descendants of Enos Graves and his siblings of Randolph Co., NC (genealogy 789). For information, contact Mary Cunningham (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- July 4, 2005, McCrory, Woodruff Co., AR. This reunion has been taking place for 50 years or longer. There are usually 125-200 people attending. For information, contact Bonnie Graves (email@example.com).
- July 3, 2005, Chaires, Leon Co., Florida, Spence/Graves Family Reunion. If you are kin to Lucy Graves Spence, b. 1894 in Georgia, or to William Thomas Spence, b. 1883 in Terrell Co., GA, please come and visit with your kin. This is genealogy 915, - Graves and Mary Fuller of GA & Russell Co., AL, possibly descended from Capt. Thomas Graves of VA. For information, contact Loretta Mayfield Isbell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, May 29, 2005, Richland Community Center, Richland, MO. This is the 6th annual Graves Cousins Family Reunion (for descendants of Lancelot Graves of Northampton Co., VA, genealogies 276 and 126).
- April 28-30, 2005, Nashville, TN. Coffey Reunion. Many of the Coffey descendants are also Graves descendants, mostly from Capt. Thomas Graves of VA.
- July 16 & 17, 2004, Siler City, NC - The 2nd reunion of the descendants of Enos Graves and his siblings of Randolph Co., NC.
- May 10-18, 2006 - Trip to England. This was a tour of England with 8 meetings in 8 towns in 8 days. The main purpose was to meet family members, and gather family information and DNA samples. a more complete summary of the trip is available.
- May 20-June 1, 1995 - GFA tour of England. The trip included much of England, with lodging in Stratford-upon-Avon, Bradford, Cleckheaton, Bakewell, Peterborough, and London. More detail is available on the 1995 trip.