Rev. 26 June 2021, Gen. 56
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES OF VA & ORANGE CO., NC
John Graves (1) was born about 1700 in VA, and died about 1764-68 in Orange Co., NC. He married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1720 in Orange Co., NC.
John Graves and Frances his wife are listed several times: 1722 in Chowan Co., NC, deed; 1738 tax of Bertie Co., NC; and 1764 tavern license in Orange Co., NC. It is believed that John Graves had a brother Thomas, and it has been suggested that John could have been the John Graves with wife Frances of Spotsylvania Co., VA. (The John Graves of Spotsylvania Co., VA, who married Frances was born about 1685, died after 1772, and stayed in Spotsylvania Co., so could not be the John of Orange Co., NC.) (R‑2)
Children - Graves
+2. Robert Graves, b.c. 1735, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1760, d.c. 1789.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1)
Robert Graves (2) was born about 1735 in VA, and died about 1789 in Camp Creek, Orange Co., NC. He married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1760 in Orange Co., NC. All their children were born at Camp Creek, Orange Co., NC. Robert witnessed a deed in 1760, and in 1764 he was granted 200 acres from Thomas Graves and 201 acres from John Carrington. He had dealings with a John Graves also. Robert Graves deeded property to Pierce Jones and his daughter Sally in May 1785 in Orange Co., NC. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
3. Sarah (ŌSallyĶ) Graves, b.c. 1763, m. Pierce Jones, 24 Dec. 1780 (Granville Co., NC).
+4. Leonard Graves, b.c. 1765, m(1) Mariah Gordon, 5 June 1786, m(2) Sarah Brown, 2 Nov. 1796, prob. d. 1811.
5. William Graves, b. 30 Jan. 1768, m. Nancy Owsley, 22 Dec. 1790 (Lincoln Co., KY), d. 14 Dec. 1852 (Lincoln Co., KY).
+6. Robert Graves, Jr., b.c. 1769, m. Usley Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1790, d. 12 Jan. 1842.
CHILDREN OF ROBERT GRAVES (2)
Leonard Graves (4) was born about 1765, probably in Virginia, and his will was proved in May 1811 in Mercer Co., KY. He served in the American Revolution in the Lincoln Co., Va. Militia as early as 1781. He first married Mariah Gordon on 5 June 1786 in Lincoln Co., KY. He married second Sarah ("Sally") Brown on 2 Nov. 1796 in Franklin Co., KY.
The will of Leonard Graves, dated 26 March 1811, names his wife Sally and children Sally Tally, James Graves, John Graves, Rice Graves, Levy Graves, Greenvil Graves, Scott Graves, Polly and Patsy Graves, and Levin Graves. Leonard appoints James Graves, Benjamin Daniel, Daniel Burford and Bernard Noel executors of his estate. The will was proved by Sam'l Sale, John Odell and Thomas Johns, the three witnesses, in May 1811.
Mercer Co., KY, Will Bk. 12, page 115, dated Feb. 1844: Division of Land of Leonard Graves, Dec'd among his heirs, 165 acres in the Shaker Bend of Kentucky River allotted to children and heirs on application of Scott Graves, one of the heirs. Land allotted to the heirs, residents and non residents... Lot 1 - Robert Alexander and Martha (Graves), his wife now deceased, 25 acres; Lot 2 - John Graves heirs, 20 acres; Lot 3 - Alexander Newton and Polly (Graves) his wife, 22 acres & 2 roods (sic); Lot 4 - James Graves, 22 acres, 1 rood (sic); Lot 5 - Leving Graves, 20 acres; Lot 6 - Scott Graves, 19 acres, 13 1/2 square poles, 1 rood (sic); Lot 7 - Levi Graves, 19 acres, 1 rood (sic), 13 1/2 square poles; Lot 8 - Nelson Tally and Sarah (Sally Graves) his wife, 19 acres, 1 rood (sic), 13 1/2 square poles.
It was previously thought that Leonard Graves might be descended from Capt. Thomas Graves of VA (gen. 169), possibly by way of John Graves and Susannah Dicken. However, DNA testing of a descendant of LeonardÕs brother Robert show no connection with genealogy 169. (R‑6, R‑8)
Children - Graves
+7. Sarah Graves, m. Nelson Talley, 21 Dec. 1807.
+8. James H. Graves, b. 25 Jan. 1790, m. Margaret Blackburn, 15 June 1814, d. 11 July 1857.
+9. John Graves, m. Eleanor Newton, 24 Sept. 1821, d. before 11 Feb. 1829.
10. Rice Graves, d. before 4 May 1816 in Mercer Co., KY, according to an inventory of his estate.
+11. Levi (or Living) Graves, m. Mary Munday, 10 March 1828.
12. Greenvil (or Greenville) Graves
+13. Scott Graves, b.c. 1799, m(1) Mary Daniel, 22 Sept. 1824, m(2) Elizabeth L. Prather, 1851.
+14. Mary Graves, b.c. 1801, m(1) Alexander Newton, m(2) Reuben Coghill, 20 Jan. 1817.
+15. Martha Ann Graves, m. Robert Alexander, 8 Dec. 1824.
16. Levin Graves, m. Mary W. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
Robert Graves, Jr. (6) was born about 1769 at Camp Creek, Orange Co., NC, died 12 Jan. 1842 in Pulaski Co., KY, and was buried in Pulaski Co., KY. He married Usley Jane ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1790 in NC. She was also known as Ursula or Jane. She was born about 1769 in Orange Co., NC, and died after 1830 in Pulaski Co., KY. Their first child was born in NC, and all the others in Pulaski Co., KY. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
17. John Graves, b.c. 1792, m. Levicey McKinsey, 28 Nov. 1808 (Pulaski Co., KY). Marriage record states that Robert was his father.
+18. Nancy J. Graves, b.c. 1794, m. George Barclay.
19. Lelah Graves, b.c. 1800, m. Henry Lewis, 21 Aug. 1820 (Pulaski Co., KY).
+20. William Graves, b. 3 June 1802, m(1) Elizabeth Nunnelly, 27 April 1825, m(2) Minney Cooper, 31 July 1832, d. 24 Sept. 1893.
21. Cealey (also known as Celia) Graves, b.c. 1806, m. Jesse Richardson, 23 Oct. 1837 (Pulaski Co., KY). It is possible that she m(1) Thomas Graves (gen. 91) and m(2) Jesse Richardson, and both husbands died before 1850.
+22. Hiram Graves, b. 1808, m. Pamelia Nunnelly, 13 March 1827, d. 6 Nov. 1860.
23. Robert Graves, b. 1811, m(1) Hannah Gill, 25 March 1833 (Pulaski Co., KY), m(2) Lettia McKinney, 9 March 1883 (Macon Co., MO), d. after 1883 (Macon Co., MO).
+24. James H. Graves, b.c. 1814, m. Margaret A. Nunnelly, 20 Oct. 1835, d. Aug. 1848.
CHILDREN OF LEONARD GRAVES (4)
Sarah ("Sally") Graves (7) married Nelson Talley on 21 Dec. 1807 in Mercer Co., KY. Bondsman was John Samuel, bride's father was Leonard Graves, teste Willis Blanton. Nelson died between 10 Sept. 1842 (date of will) and Nov. 1842 (date of probate) in Mercer Co., KY. His son Scott Graves was named as administrator of Nelson Talley's will. (R‑8)
Children - Talley
25. Elizabeth Talley, m. Joel W. Davis, 16 Jan. 1838 (Mercer Co., KY). Source: Marriage Bonds and Consents, 1831-1850, Mercer Co., KY, compiled by the Genealogical Committee of the Harrodsburg Historical Society, Harrodsburg, KY. Bondsman Leving Graves, bride's father Nelson Talley, witness Alexander Newton.
James H. Graves (8) was born 25 Jan. 1790 in Mercer Co., Ky., and died 11 July 1857 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., Ill. It is not proven that he was a son of Leonard Graves; the present evidence is circumstantial. The names of some of his children were the same as those of Leonard; for example, Greenville, Scott, Levi/Levy/Levin were all in both families and are not common names. Two of the children of James had L. (possibly Leonard) as their middle initial, and the oldest son of Orville Scott Graves (one of James' sons) was named James Leonard Graves. James supposedly moved to Clark Co., Ky. with his parents when he was a small boy. (Does this conflict with Leonard leaving a will in Mercer Co.? It would be interesting to see where Leonard was living when the 1810 census was taken.)
James Graves married Margaret Blackburn, daughter of Joseph Blackburn, on 15 (or 16) June 1814 in Winchester, Clark Co., Ky. She was born 15 Oct. 1795 in Clark Co., Ky., and died 28 May 1887 in Georgetown, Ill. They were both buried in McKendree, Vermilion Co., Ill. James was a cabinet maker. He and his family moved to Illinois in Sept. 1828. According to Portrait and Biographical Album of Vermilion and Edgar Counties, Illinois, Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1889, the father of James Graves was a native of Scotland, and crossed the Atlantic in time to assist in the early settlement of Mercer Co., Ky. (It is also possible that this statement of Scottish origin referred to the father of Margaret Blackburn, since errors of that sort often occur in historical sketches of this sort.) He was married and reared a family, and his son James fought in the War of 1812 under General Harrison on the River Thames in Canada, becoming a personal friend of the hero of Tippecanoe.
"First Census" of Kentucky, 1790, compiled by C. B. Heinemann, lists only William Graves in Mercer Co., as of 18 April 1789. "Second Census" of Kentucky, 1800, by G. Glenn Clift, lists only Leonard Graves in Mercer Co. in 1800. It is possible that William was related to James, and had either died or moved by 1800. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Graves
+26. Greenville Harrison Graves, b. 25 March 1815, m(1) Mary Cook, 14 Oct. 1834, m(2) Mrs. Sarah Davis, 30 Oct. 1864, d. 29 Dec. 1884.
+27. Evaline Graves, b. 15 Aug. 1816, m. John Cook, 10 April 1834, d. 21 May 1856.
+28. Orville Scott Graves, b. 5 May 1818, m. Sarah Ann Ashby, 21 Sept. 1843, d. 22 Jan. 1892.
+29. Zarolda Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1822, m. Sylvanus T. Ellsworth, 17 Feb. 1841.
30. Joseph B. Graves, b. 1825 (Ky.), d. 8 June 1848 (Vermilion Co., Ill.).
31. James L. Graves, b. 1825 (Ky.), d. 4 Sept. 1846 (Vermilion Co., Ill.).
+32. Levi Henry Graves, b. 25 Feb. 1827, m(1) Nancy Matilda Cook, 21 Feb. 1850, m(2) Mrs. Lucinda (Bayless) Chandler, 26 Sept. 1861, d. 14 Nov. 1894.
33. Mary Graves, died young.
+34. Doctor Franklin Graves, b. 8 Nov. 1832, m. Mary Martin, 1 Jan. 1858, d. 24 July 1884.
+35. Amanda Melvina Graves, b. 18 Aug. 1833, m. Samuel Cook, 1 April 1852, d. 19 Aug. 1866.
+36. John L. Graves, b. 10 Aug. 1835, m. Emily C. Smith, 13 Oct. 1859, d. 23 Dec. 1864.
John Graves (9) died before 11 Feb. 1829 in Mercer Co., KY (as indicated by an inventory of his estate with this date). He married Eleanor Newton on 24 Sept. 1821 in Mercer Co., KY. Bondsman was Benjamin Newton. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
37. Benjamin F. (or B.) Graves, d. before 11 Jan. 1853.
38. John S. Graves
Levi Graves (or Living Graves) (11) married Mary ("Polly") Munday on 10 March 1828. (R‑9)
Children - Graves
+39. John Scott Graves, b. 30 Sept. 1830, m. Jane Amelia Bailey, 30 April 1854, d. 14 March 1905.
Scott Graves (13) was born about 1799 in KY. He was a farmer. He first married Mary Daniel on 22 Sept. 1824 in Mercer Co., KY. Bondsman was Benjamin Daniel. He married second Elizabeth L. Prather in 1851 in Mercer Co., KY. She had first married Joseph Prather.
Mercer Co., KY Deed Book 29, page 248, Aug. 27, 1852: Scott Graves and Elizabeth L. his wife convey to Thomas C. Coleman. Whereas Elizabeth L. Graves as widow of Joseph Prather, dec'd., was entitled to a dower interest in the tract of land owned by Prather in Mercer Co. on Shawnee Run and which contained 27 acres. Thomas C. Coleman has purchased the said tract and this is conveyance on part of Elizabeth L. and her husband, Scott Graves.
Mercer Co., KY, Will Book 18, page 383, Scott Graves will, dated as written April 1873, proved May 4, 1885. Daughters: Margaret Jane Crutcher and Martha Ann Burton to have all that portion of land that came by their mother Mary Graves from the estate of Benjamin Daniel. Wife: Elizabeth Graves to have remainder of the estate during her life and then to go to son Scott B. Graves. Executor: William F. Crutcher. (R‑8)
Children - Graves, by Mary Daniel
40. Margaret Jane Graves, m. William H. Crutcher, 31 Jan. 1844 (Mercer Co., KY).
+41. Martha Ann Graves, b. 7 March 1834, m. Peter Higgins Burton, 1 June 1852, d. 25 June 1909.
Children - Graves, by Elizabeth L. Prather
+42. Scott B Graves, m. Annie Campbell, 1874.
Mary ("Polly") Graves (14) was born about 1801 in KY. She first married Alexander Newton. She married second Reuben Coghill on 20 Jan. 1817 in Mercer Co., KY. (R‑8)
Children - Newton
43. Isabel Newton, m. John H. Patterson, 10 Jan. 1837 (Mercer Co., KY).
Children - Coghill
44. Lucinda Coghill, m. William D. Smart, 13 Jan. 1837 (Mercer Co., KY). He d. 11 Aug. 1849.
Martha Ann ("Patsy") Graves (15) died before Feb. 1844. She married Robert Alexander on 8 Dec. 1824 in Mercer Co., KY.
Mercer Co., KY, Deed Book 24, page 222, dated 1 April 1844: James C. Waterfield and Stephen Stone, Commissioners of Mercer Co. Court convey to Robert Alexander and Martha his wife, late Martha Graves, and her children. The land which was allotted to Martha, now deceased, in the division of land among the heirs of Leonard Graves, dec'd, and being lot number 1 in the division containing 25 acres. It is one-eighth part of 168 acres in Mercer Co. on Kentucky River and is bounded by land of Mercer Daniel.
Mercer Co., KY, Deed Book 25, page 461, July 14, 1847: Louisa M. Alexander and Martha Ann Alexander, children and heirs of Martha Ann Alexander, dec'd., who was wife of Robert Alexander and one of the heirs at law of Leonard Graves, dec'd., convey to Draper Newton, all of Mercer Co., for $420, their right and title to 25 acres of land on Kentucky River which descended to them through their mother, and which was conveyed to her and Robert Alexander by Commissioners appointed for that purpose. (R‑8)
Children - Alexander
45. Louisa M. Alexander
46. Martha Ann Alexander
CHILDREN OF ROBERT GRAVES (6) AND USLEY JANE ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Nancy J. Graves (18) was born about 1794. She married George Barclay. He was born in Feb. 1777 in VA or NC. (R‑3)
Children - Barclay
+47. Robert Barclay, b. 12 Nov. 1818, m. Sarah Burkhart, 15 Nov. 1841, d. 14 May 1882.
William ("Will") Graves (20) was born 3 June 1802. He first married Elizabeth Nunnelly on 27 April 1825 in Pulaski Co., KY (according to Annie Walker Burns, Records of Marriages, Pulaski Co., Ky., vol. 1, 1936, Texas State Library, Austin, Texas, p. 14). She was born 24 Oct. 1807, and died 2 July 1883 in KY. (Birth and death dates from family Bible.)
According to R‑2, he secondly married Minney Cooper on 31 July 1832 in Pulaski Co., KY. However, that doesnÕt appear to be correct. The 1850 census shows what appears to be this family in Div. 1, Pulaski Co., KY, dwelling 531, with William, age 48, Elizabeth, age 43, and children John G., 16, Martha, 12, Louiza, 10, and Robert N., 5.
This family may be connected to that of Thomas Graves and Celia ‑‑‑‑‑‑ of NC and Pulaski Co., KY (genealogy 91). (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+48. William Logan Graves, b. 15 July 1829, m. Catherine Clonch, 24 March 1851, d. 9 Dec. 1897.
49. Robert Graves; possibly had children James, b.c. 1847, and Amanda, b.c. 1850, since these two children were shown in his brother Logan's household in the 1860 census for Somerset, Pulaski Co., Ky.
50. daughter, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Hubble. Had daughter, Sarah Hubble, b.c. 1852, living in Logan's household in 1870 census for Mt. Gilied (?) Dist., Pulaski Co., Ky.
Hiram Graves (22) was born in 1808 in Pulaski Co., KY, died 6 Nov. 1860 in Middlefork Twp., Macon Co., MO, and was buried in Shake Rag Cem. (also known as Pleasant Hill Cem.), Middlefork Twp., Macon Co., MO. He married Pamelia (or Permelia) Nunnelly, daughter of Anderson Nunnelly and Nancy Richardson, on 13 March 1827 in Pulaski Co., KY. She was born in 1809 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died before 1860 in Macon Co., MO. According to History of Macon Co., MO, they were among the early settlers of Macon Co., MO, moving there in the 1830Õs. They were in the 1840 census for Middle Fork, Macon Co., MO. All their children may have been born in Pulaski Co., KY, as stated by R‑2, but that is not certain. They were in the 1850 census for Pulaski Co., KY, and in the 1860 census for Middle Fork, Macon Co., MO. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
51. Fountain Columbus Graves, b. July 1828, m. Malvina Jenny Asherst, 25 Sept. 1853 (Macon Co., MO), d. Orland, Glen Co., CA. He couldnÕt be found in the 1860 census.
+52. Anderson R. Graves, b. July 1832, m(1) Mary F. Pierce, 8 March 1860, m(2) Nancy B. Jones, d. 7 April 1885.
53. Caroline Americus Vespucis Graves, b. 5 Oct. 1833, m(1) Lysander Elias Boyer, 22 Sept. 1849 (Pulaski Co., KY), m(2) Jacob Showalter, m(3) James A. McLain, d. 20 Jan. 1898 (El Dorado Springs, Cedar Co., MO). Bur. Mound Cem., Filly, Cedar Co., MO.
54. Harvey Graves, b.c. 1835.
55. William Robert Graves (usually known as W. Robert Graves), b.c. 1838.
56. Green M. Graves, b. 22 March 1842, m. Anna A. Lee, 17 Jan. 1861 (Macon Co., MO), d. 30 Nov. 1863. Bur. Middlefork Twp., Macon Co., MO. Died in the Civil War; bur. Shake Rag Cem., Middlefork Twp., Macon Co., MO.
57. James Hiram Graves, b.c. 1843.
+58. Thomas Milford Graves, b. 12 June 1844, m(1) Sarah Ellen Newman, 1885, m(2) Emeline ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 5 March 1912.
59. William Graves, b.c. 1846, m. Catherine Huston, 6 Nov. 1870 (Macon Co., MO). It has been stated by others that this William Graves married Emma Merrill in 1883 in Macon Co., MO. However, that appears to have been another William Graves who was a son of James Graves and America Moss.
60. John L. Graves, b.c. 1848.
61. Lysander Elias Graves, b. Dec. 1849 (Somerset, Pulaski Co., KY), m. Josephine Carman, 16 May 1872 (Shelby Co., MO), d. after 1900 (Enterprise Wallowa Co., OR).
James H. Graves (24) was born about 1814 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died in Aug. 1848 in Macon, Macon Co., MO. He married Margaret A. Nunnelly on 20 Oct. 1835 in Pulaski Co., KY. An inventory of his estate was dated 9 Aug. 1848 in Macon Co., MO. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
62. Virginia Franklin Graves
CHILDREN OF JAMES H. GRAVES (8) AND MARGARET BLACKBURN
Greenville Harrison Graves (26) was born 25 March 1815 in Bourbon Co., KY, and died 29 Dec. 1884 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL. He first married Mary Cook, daughter of Larkin Cook, on 14 Oct. 1834 in Danville (or Georgetown Twp.), Ill. She was born 24 March 1810 in Ohio, and died 17 Oct. 1862 in Danville, Ill. He secondly married Mrs. Sarah Jane Davis on 30 Oct. 1864. She was born 16 May 1832 in Ill., and died 30 Dec. 1885 in Danville, Ill. Greenville and both his wives were buried in Springhill Cem., Danville, Vermilion Co., IL. His first 6 children were born in WI, at least the sixth one in Racine, WI, and the last 6 were born in IL. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Graves, by Mary Cook
+63. Margaret Jane Graves, b. 18 Aug. 1835, m. Samuel William Black, 25 Jan. 1855, d. 11 Feb. 1912.
64. Bluford S. Graves, b. 12 Dec. 1836, m. Elizabeth Smith, 11 Dec. 1867 (Vermilion Co., Ill.), d. 3 Sept. 1893.
+65. Lidi Ann Graves, b. 7 Nov. 1838, m. John H. Dougherty, 10 Feb. 1857, d. 6 Oct. 1852.
+66. Samantha Graves, b. 5 Sept. 1840, m. Albert B. Russell, 3 Dec. 1861, d. 17 May 1914.
67. Lucinda Graves, b. 22 April 1842.
68. James Henry Graves, b. 1 March 1844, m. Nancy Lanham, 4 Sept. 1880 (Madison, Ind.), d. Montgomery Co., Kans. Bur. Elmwood, Montgomery Co., Kans.
69. Joseph Graves, b. 18 July 1846, d. 16 Nov. 1864. Bur. Sect. G, Grave 229, Chattanooga, TN.
+70. Lemuel Taylor Graves, b. 6 Aug. 1848, m. Hetty Alice Hiestand, d. 10 Jan. 1907.
71. Susan Elizabeth Graves, b. 18 Sept. 1850 (Danville, Vermilion Co., IL), m. Samuel A. Leaverton, 18 Jan. 1872, d. 12 March 1892 (Sheridan, WY).
Children - Graves, by Sarah Davis
72. Flora Bell Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1865, d. 7 June 1888.
+73. Julia Graves, b. 22 June 1868, m. Dauphin Marquis Clark, c. 1890, d. 12 Aug. 1949.
74. Charles ("Charley") Greenville Graves, b. 23 Jan. 1871, d. 19 Oct. 1872.
Evaline Graves (27) was born 15 Aug. 1816 in Clark Co., Ky., and died 21 May 1856 in Vermilion Co., Ill. She married John Cook, son of Larkin Cook, on 10 April 1834 in Georgetown Twp., Vermilion Co., Ill. He died in 1885 in Bureau Co., IL, near Princeton, IL. His widow lived in Guthrie Center, IA. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Cook
75. Oliver Cook; lived in Princeton, IL.
76. Doctor Franklin Cook; lived in Hamilton Co., NE.
77. Amanda Melvina Cook, m. Thomas H. McKibben, 20 March 1856 (Vermilion Co., Ill.). Lived in Guthrie Center, IA.
Orville Scott Graves (28) was born 5 May 1818 in Clark Co., Ky., and died 22 Jan. 1892 in Vermilion Co., Ill. He lived in Clark Co. until he was ten years old. He then moved to Illinois with his parents, and settled in Vermilion Co. He married Sarah Ann Ashby, daughter of Joseph Ashby and Nancy Cloe, on 21 Sept. 1843 in Vermilion Co. She was born 1821 in Bourbon Co., Ky., and moved to Vermilion Co., Ill. in 1829 with her parents. She died 7 Sept. 1903. They were both buried in Sandusky Cem., Westville, IL. They lived in Westville, Ill. All their children were born in Ill., at least the first one in Vermilion Co. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Graves
78. infant, d. 1 July 1844. Bur. Sandusky Cem., Westville, IL.
+79. James Leonard Graves, b. 16 July 1845, m. Serena Boothe, 28 Oct. 1868, d. 13 Aug. 1917.
80. Amanda Evaline (or Evelyn) Graves, b. 23 March 1848, d. 29 Aug. 1870. Bur. Sandusky Cem., Westville, IL.
+81. Henry Clay Graves, b. 15 April 1851, m. Serena Ellen Hinds, 24 April 1879, d. 21 July 1909.
82. Martha Elizabeth Graves, b. 15 Aug. 1854, d. 7 Feb. 1887 (Westville, IL). Bur. Sandusky Cem., Westville, IL.
83. Marie Isabel ("Belle") Graves, b. 13 Dec. 1856, m. George Oakwood, 11 Sept. 1884 (Vermilion Co., IL).
+84. Orville Douglas Graves, b. 24 March 1860, m. Carrie C. Custer, 5 Dec. 1889, d. 26 June 1941.
Zarolda Graves (29) was born 15 Oct. 1822 in Bourbon Co., Ky. She married Sylvanus T. Ellsworth on 17 Aug. 1841 in Vermilion Co., Ill. He was born 11 Oct. 1817 in Shelby Co., Ohio. (R‑5)
Children - Ellsworth
85. Margaret M. Ellsworth, m. William W. Current, 6 Nov. 1866 (Vermilion Co., Ill.), d. 10 July 1878 (Vermilion Co., Ill.).
86. Mary E. Ellsworth, m. I. Burroughs.
87. Jacob P. Ellsworth
88. Sarah M. Ellsworth, m. W. D. Parker.
89. Evaline M. Ellsworth, m. G. H. Watson.
90. Levi L. Ellsworth
91. Catharine Ellsworth
Levi Henry Graves (32) was born 25 Feb. 1827 in Millersburg, Bourbon Co., Ky., and died 14 Nov. 1894, south of Danville, Vermilion Co., Ill. He first married Nancy Matilda Cook, daughter of John Cook and Mary Medscor, on 21 Feb. 1850 in Fulton Co., Ill. She was born 8 Oct. 1829 in Brown Co., Ohio, and died 20 July 1859, south of Danville, Vermilion Co., Ill. He secondly married Mrs. Lucinda (Bayless) Chandler on 26 Sept. 1861 in Vermilion Co. She was born 1832 in Ky. All his children were born in Vermilion Co., Ill. (R‑5)
Children - Graves, by Nancy Cook
+92. Olive A. Graves, b. 10 July 1851, m. David E. Moore, d. 1924.
+93. Mary Margaret Graves, b. 9 Dec. 1852, m. Milton Ashby, 28 Aug. 1870, d. 19 June 1931.
+94. Amanda Melvina Graves, b. 22 July 1854, m. Samuel O'Neal, 28 Aug. 1870, d. 15 April 1925.
95. James A. Graves, b. 1856, d. 27 March 1858 (Vermilion Co., Ill.).
Children - Graves, by Lucinda Chandler
+96. Martha B. Graves, b. 1862, m. Luther A. Clingan, 28 Dec. 1882, d. 29 Jan. 1899.
97. Louise A. Graves, b. 1864, m. Dennis Clingan, 18 Nov. 1886 (Vermilion Co., Ill.).
98. Emma S. Graves, b. 1864, m. W. C. Lanham, d. 1891.
99. Letta Graves, b. 1866, m. Luther A. Clingan, 6 Jan. 1898 (Vermilion Co., Ill.). On the 1870 and 1880 censuses, her name was spelled Letta, but on the marriage license it was Leeta.
Doctor Franklin Graves (34) was born 8 Nov. 1832 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 24 July 1884 in Vermilion Co., IL, killed by lightning. He married Mary Martin on 30 Dec. 1856 in Vermilion Co., IL. She was born 23 Sept. 1836 in Georgetown Twp., Vermilion Co., Ill., near Georgetown, and died 18 Sept. 1902. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Graves
100. Presley M. Graves (not in list of children from R‑5)
+101. Margaret Ella Graves, b. 16 April 1859, m. Isaac M. Richards, d. 1933.
+102. Clara Frances Graves, b. 1 Aug. 1861, m. Henderson White, d. 12 Feb. 1936.
+103. Zerelda Kate Graves, b. 2 April 1864, m. Henry R. Spicer, d. 24 May 1932.
+104. James H. Graves, b. 3 May 1870, m. Alice E. Puzzey, d. 29 June 1927.
+105. Nellie Graves, b. 31 July 1876, m. William H. Schaeffer, d. 28 April 1940.
Amanda Melvina Graves (35) was born 18 Aug. 1833 in Georgetown Twp., Vermilion Co., Ill., and died 19 Aug. 1866 in Vermilion Co. She married Samuel Cook, son of James Cook and Susannah Moyer, on 1 April 1852 in Georgetown Twp., Vermilion Co. He was born 4 Oct. 1825 in Clermont, Ohio. (R‑5, R‑8)
Children - Cook
106. George W. Cook, b.c. 1853, m. Eliza Douglas, d. 1909.
+107. James P. Cook, b. 27 March 1855, m. Eveline (or Evelyn) O'Neal, 5 Sept. 1877.
108. Mary E. Cook, b.c. 1857, m. J. A. Wherry.
109. Charles F. Cook, b.c. 1862, m. Celia (or Cecilia) Padgett.
110. Margaret Cook, d. 1876.
111. Ellen Cook, b.c. 1864, d.c. 1864.
John L. Graves (36) was born 10 Aug. 1835 in Georgetown, Vermillion Co., Ill., and died 23 Dec. 1864 in Vermilion Co. He married Emily C. ("Emma") Smith on 13 Oct. 1859 in Vermilion Co., Ill. She was born 1829 in Indiana. Both their children were born in Illinois. (R‑5)
Children - Graves
112. Lillie Graves, b. 1860.
113. Maggie Graves, b. 1862.
CHILDREN OF LIVING GRAVES (11) AND MARY MUNDAY
John Scott Graves (39) was born 30 Sept. 1830 in Mercer Co., KY, died 14 March 1905 in Holden, MO, and was buried at Holden Cem. He moved from Mercer Co., KY, to MO in 1855, settling in Johnson Co. near Bear Creek. He served in the Civil War with the Confederate 16th Missouri Infantry, and was at the battle of Prairie Grove and Helena (which was fought 5 July 1863). He was wounded and taken prisoner, paroled upon the field, and exchanged in the fall of that year. He was also in the battles of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, and Saline. He married Jane Amelia Bailey, daughter of Elisha Bailey and Nancy Pollock, on 30 April 1854. She was born 22 Aug. 1834 in Bourbon Co., KY, and died 13 Nov. 1914 in Holden, MO. They belonged to the Christian Church, in which he was a deacon. He was a carpenter and builder for three years after the war, and then went into farming and stock raising. Of their 8 children, only Etta was still living in 1881. (R‑9, R‑10, R‑11)
Children - Graves
114. Mary Walton Graves
115. Living Graves, may have died at birth.
116. Belle Graves
+117. Etta May Graves, b. 6 May 1869, m. Frank Davidson Ball, 5 Oct. 1892, d. 22 Oct. 1948.
118. child, died at birth.
119. child, died at birth.
120. child, died at birth.
CHILDREN OF SCOTT GRAVES (13)
Martha Ann Graves (41) was born 7 March 1834 and died 25 June 1909. She married Peter Higgins Burton on 1 June 1852 in Mercer Co., KY. He was born 16 Aug. 1828, and died 2 Nov. 1912 in Mercer Co., KY. (R‑8)
Children - Burton
121. Joe Burton
122. John Burton
123. child, twin
124. child, twin
125. Maggie Burton
+127. Scott Graves Burton, b. 3 April 1854, m(1) Nora Griffith Huffschmidt, c. 1885, m(2) Mattie Beazley, c. 1892, d. 7 March 1925.
+128. Mary Daniel Burton, b. 5 Nov. 1857, m. Watkins Royster Dunn, 1876.
129. Lucy Slaughter Burton, b. 5 Oct. 1859, m. James A. Dunn, 1888, d. 1954. He d. 1944.
+130. Sallie Scott Burton, b. 29 Nov. 1863, m. Benjamin Franklin Smart, 20 Oct. 1885, d. 18 Feb. 1917.
+131. Martha Alexander Burton, b. 20 Jan. 1867, m. William Matthew Reynolds, 13 Oct. 1891, d. 4 July 1923.
+132. Willie Crutcher Burton, b. 27 May 1869, m. Edward D. Hawkins, 1891, d. 1956.
+133. Charlie Cunningham Burton, b. 25 Oct. 1871, m. Beulah B. Smith, 1907.
+134. Nonie Betty Burton, b. 5 Sept. 1873, m. James Henry Bates, d. 13 Oct. 1931.
Scott B. Graves (42) married Annie Campbell in 1874 in Mercer Co., KY. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
135. Charles Graves
136. Ben Graves
137. Mary Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Chambers.
138. Johnnie Graves
139. Maggie Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Berry.
140. Mattie Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Hanke.
141. Edward Graves
142. Emma Graves
143. Thomas Graves
CHILDREN OF NANCY J. GRAVES (18) AND GEORGE BARCLAY
Robert Barclay (47) was born 12 Nov. 1818 and died 14 May 1882. He married Sarah Burkhart on 15 Nov. 1841 in Pulaski Co., KY. She was born 18 Aug. 1818 in Whyte Co., VA, and died 16 May 1869 in Pulaski Co., KY. (R‑3)
Children - Barclay
+144. Milford E. Barclay, b. 4 April 1846, m. Charity Elizabeth Owens, 18 Aug. 1875, d. 26 Jan. 1917.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVES (20) AND ELIZABETH NUNNELLY
William Logan Graves (48), called Logan, was born 15 July 1829 in Somerset, Pulaski Co., Ky., died 9 Dec. 1897 in Oklahoma Territory, and was buried in Moore Cem., Cleveland Co., Okla. He married Catherine Clonch (or Claunch) on 24 March 1851 (according to Pulaski Co. Historical Soc., Pulaski County Marriage Records, vol. 2, 1851-1863, p. 45), or 25 March 1851 by Elder Daniel Buckner (according to the family Bible). She was born 1 July 1829 in KY, died 17 July 1903 in Comanche, Indian Terr., and was probably buried in Moore Cem., Moore, Okla. She was a daughter of Christopher Clonch (23 Jan. 1782 - 9 June 1857) and "Polly" Hardister (?) (18 Aug. 1790 - 27 July 1872), since their birth and death dates were included in the family Bible, and she was mentioned as his daughter in Christopher's will (book 5, p. 128, 1857, Pulaski Co., Ky.). Christopher G. Clonch (21 Oct. 1816 - 24 April 1839), also included in the Bible, may have been her brother.
William farmed in Pulaski Co., Ky., and owned a large area of land. Tobacco was the main crop. He owned slaves before the Civil War. Catherine was given a negro slave as a wedding gift. The negro wanted to continue living with them after the Civil War and did not want her freedom. The Graves family kept her as part of the household, and she helped with Florence when she was born.
Logan was a Confederate veteran of the Civil War.
Around 1889 their son, William C. Graves, and a friend from the Sparks family were charged with the murder of a groceryman. The trial was moved to another court, but William Logan Graves was forced to sell part of his farm to pay the expense of the trial. The son was acquitted and soon after, William Logan Graves sold the remainder of his farm and moved his family (including two older sons and their wives) to Missouri, and then to Oklahoma Territory. The family moved to Moore, Okla. the latter part of 1890. The older sons went to Perry and Red Rock to establish a business. William and Catherine were both buried in the Moore Cemetery, and their graves are now unmarked. He preceded her in death, and she lived with two of their sons in Perry, Okla. All their children were born in Pulaski Co., KY.
William was in the 1850 census for Div. 1, Pulaski Co., KY, dwelling 281, listed as Logan Graves, farmer, with no one else in his household, prior to his marriage. They were in the 1860 census for Pulaski Co., KY, when James Graves, 13, and Amanda Graves, 10, were also living with them. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+145. Francis Newton Graves, b. 4 March 1852, m. Sally B. Mitchell, d. 10 Oct. 1933.
146. Millard Fillmore Graves, b. 14 June 1855, m. Elizabeth H. ("Lizzie") Jamison, 11 Dec. 1875 (Fentriss Co., Tenn.), d. 31 Dec. 1875. She was b. 13 Aug. 1857 and d. 2 July 1879.
+147. William C. Graves, b. 5 Dec. 1858, m. Maggie L. Cox, 20 May 1884, d. 19 Dec. 1936.
148. George Washington Graves, b. 19 Dec. 1862, d. 29 March 1864 (Pulaski Co., Ky.).
+149. Henry Clay Graves, b. 19 Dec. 1862, m. Sarah J. Bryant, 19 May 1883, d. 12 April 1937.
150. Patrick Henry Graves, b. 1863, died young.
+151. James Logan Graves, b. 14 Feb. 1866, m. Sarah Cole, 29 (or 27) Oct. 1891, d. 29 March 1941.
+152. Horatio Seymour Graves, b. 30 Dec. 1867, m. Etta A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 28 Feb. 1945.
+153. Florence Graves, b. 17 July 1873, m. John Lee Mounger, 18 Oct. 1892, d. 21 May 1954.
CHILDREN OF HIRAM GRAVES (22) AND PAMELIA NUNNELLY
Anderson R. Graves (52) was born in July 1832 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died 7 April 1885 in Macon Co., MO. He first married Mary F. Pierce on 8 March 1860 in Macon Co., MO. She was born about 1844 in MO, and probably died before 1870, since she wasnÕt in the 1870 census with Anderson. He married second Nancy B. Jones, daughter of Theo Jones and Delilah ‑‑‑‑‑‑. Nancy was born about 1856 in MO.
Anderson and Mary were in the 1860 census for Macon Co., MO, with his brother Green living with them. He was in the 1870 census for Macon Co., MO with 3 children, still farming. He was in the 1880 census for Macon City, Macon Co., MO, with his second wife, her parents, and 2 new children, running a hotel.
Children - Graves, by Mary F. Pierce
154. Emilie J. Graves, b.c. 1861.
155. Anderson S. Graves, b.c. 1867.
156. John H. Graves, b.c. 1868.
Children - Graves, by Nancy B. ‑‑‑‑‑‑
157. Delilah Graves, b.c.1878.
158. Charles L. Graves, b.c. Feb. 1880.
Thomas Milford Graves (58) was born 12 June 1844, probably in Pulaski Co., KY, died 5 March 1912 in Macon Co., MO, and was buried in Woodlawn Cem., Macon, MO.. He first married Emeline ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1843. He married second Sarah Ellen Newman, daughter of William Slain Newman and Rebecca Tinsley, in 1885. She was born in May 1851 in White Co., IN, and died in 1981 in Hancock, Hancock Co., IL.
Thomas and Emeline were in the 1880 census for Clay, Shelby Co., MO, with their 3 children plus 2 nephews living with them, Anderson S. Graves, 14, and John Graves, 10, everyone born in KY. Thomas and Sarah were in the 1900 census for Macon, Macon Co., MO, with their 2 children, and in the 1910 census for Hudson, Macon Co., M O with Earl still at home.. In both the 1900 and 1910 censuses, they reported that 5 of SarahÕs 6 children were living, but that probably meant 5 of 6 of ThomasÕs children by both wives. (R‑13)
Children - Graves, by Emeline ‑‑‑‑‑‑
159. Mary (ŌMollyĶ) C. Graves, b.c. 1868.
160. Josie Belle Graves, b.c. 1872.
161. John L. Graves, b.c. 1876.
Children - Graves, by Sarah E. Newman
+162. Charles Bradley Graves, b. 16 Sept. 1886, m. Minnie Mae Lunsford, 17 June 1906, d. 24 March 1928.
163. Earl (or Eugene) Graves, b. Feb. 1891 (MO).
CHILDREN OF GREENVILLE H. GRAVES (26)
Margaret Jane Graves (63) was born 18 Aug. 1835 in WI, and died 11 Feb. 1912. She married Samuel William Black on 25 Jan. 1855 in Vermilion Co., IL. He was born 30 Dec. 1828 in Paris, Bourbon Co., KY, and died 6 Nov. 1924. They were both buried in Sandusky Cem., Vermilion Co., IL. All their children were born in Vermilion Co., IL, children 2 through 5 in Catlin, and the later ones in Westville, IL. Children 2 through 5 were buried in Sandusky Cem., Westville, Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑8)
Children - Black
+164. James Greenville Black, b. 30 Jan. 1856, Rachel Dukes, 1 Jan. 1930, d. 13 April 1930.
165. Elwood Pleasant Black, b. 22 May 1858, d. 24 July 1859.
166. son, b. and d. 31 Dec. 1859.
167. daughter, b. and d. 7 Oct. 1860.
168. son, b. and d. 7 Oct. 1860.
+169. Ernest Grant Black, b. 3 Sept. 1863, m. Juletta Hester Widner, 12 March 1890, d. 3 April 1951.
+170. Mary Ettie Black, b. 25 Jan. 1865, m. Joseph J. Smith, 18 March 1886, d. 5 Oct. 1935.
171. Thomas L. Black, b. 25 May 1868, d. 21 July 1870.
+172. Leotto M. Black, b. 11 July 1870, m. Cora Ettie Sisson, 14 Feb. 1906, d. 20 Feb. 1948.
Cidda (or Lidi) Ann Graves (65) was born 7 Nov. 1838 and died 6 Oct. 1852. She married John H. Dougherty on 10 Feb. 1857 in Vermilion Co., IL. He was born 10 Feb. 1827 in Brown Co., OH, and died 6 March 1889. (R‑8)
Children - Dougherty
173. James L. Dougherty
174. Mary Dougherty
175. Bertie Dougherty
176. Joseph Dougherty
177. Charles Dougherty; bur. Dougherty Cem., east of Fairmont, IL.
Samantha Graves (66) was born 5 Sept. 1840 and died 17 May 1914. She married Albert B. Russell on 3 Dec. 1861 in Vermilion Co., IL. He died 16 Feb. 1908. They lived in Burlington, IA. A daughter married Samuel Leaverton, and lived in Sheridan, WY. (R‑8)
Children - Russell
178. Lillie Russell, b.c. 1863 (IL).
179. William ("Will") E. Russell, b.c. 1867 (IL), d. 22 Aug. 1925. Bur. Springhill Cem., Danville, Vermilion Co., IL.
Lemuel Taylor Graves (70) was born 6 Aug. 1848 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 10 Jan. 1907 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL. He married Hetty Alice Hiestand. She was born 17 Jan. 1859 in Lodi, IL, and died 23 Aug. 1944 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL.
From History of Vermilion County, Illinois, vol. II, Pioneer Publishing Co., Chicago, 1911, pages 597-598: "For over sixty years L. T. Graves was a resident of Vermilion county and came to be numbered among its most worthy citizens. He was born on a farm which now adjoins the northern boundary line of Westville, his natal year being 1846, and he was the son of Greenville Graves, one of the pioneer settlers of this county. Upon the old home farm he grew to manhood and at the usual age began his education in the old McMillan schoolhouse near his home. After attaining his majority he came to Danville and commenced clerking for William Mann, who at the time owned the largest dry-goods store in the city. He continued in his employ until Mr. Mann's death and later held positions in several other stores but finally turned his attention to reral estate and in that business met with most excellent success from the start. A progressive and energetic business man, of known reliability, he usually carried forward to successful completion whatever he undertook.
Mr. Graves was married in Danville in 1893 to Miss Alice Hiestand, a daughter of William Hiestand, who came to this city at a very early day. Here she was engaged in the dressmaking business for a number of years, her patrons being among the leading citizens of Danville. To Mr. And Mrs. Graves were born two children: Margaret Marie and Mabel Alice, who are now attending school.
Mr. Graves was a very prominent and active member of the First Presbyterian church and died in that faith on the 10th of January 1907. By his ballot he usually supported the men and measures of the democratic party and as a public-spirited and enterprising citizen took a commendable interest in those enterprises which he believed calculated to advance the moral, intellectual or material welfare of the community. He was actively identified with all church and philanthropic work and his aid was never withheld from any worthy object. A consistent and earnest Christian and an enterprising and loyal citizen, his death was deeply mourned by a large circle of friends and acquaintances." (R‑8)
Children - Graves
+180. Margaret Marie Graves, b. 13 Jan. 1895, m. Charles Albert Lenz, 20 Feb. 1929, d. 19 Feb. 1972.
+181. Mable Alice Graves, b. 10 Sept. 1899, m. Richard Randolph Tyson, 4 Sept. 1927, d. Jan. 1983.
Julia Graves (73) was born 22 June 1868, and died 12 Aug. 1949 in Mount Vernon, Skagit Co., WA. She married Dauphin ("Dolph") Clark about 1890. He died 22 April 1925 in Mount Vernon, WA. They lived in Bellingham Bay, WA. Children 2 through 5 were born in Pleasant Ridge, WA, and their last child was born in Mount Vernon, WA. (R‑8)
Children - Clark
182. Albert D. Clark; lived in Sacramento, CA.
183. Celia L. Clark, b. 6 Oct. 1892, m. Hans C. Jensen, 29 Nov. 1930, d. 12 Dec. 1978 (Sedro-Wooley, Shagit Co., WA). He was b. 12 Oct. 1891 in Denmark, and d. 1 Jan. 1979 in Sedro-Wooley, WA. No children.
184. Roy Clark, b. 22 July 1895, d. 8 Nov. 1937 (Mount Vernon, WA).
185. Maxwell ("Max") Graves Clark, b. 23 July 1899, never married, d. 30 Dec. 1982 (LaConner, Skagit Co., WA). He inherited the family farm near LaConner, WA. He lived on the farm and took care of his sister Elsie.
+186. Harrison Winans Clark, b. 14 May 1903, m. Valborg Christine Brandt, 30 Oct. 1933, d. 5 Jan. 1956.
187. Elsie Dale Clark, b. 4 Jan. 1906, never married, d. 3 March 1967 (Mount Vernon, WA).
CHILDREN OF ORVILLE S. GRAVES (28) AND SARAH ANN ASHBY
James Leonard Graves (79) was born 16 July 1845 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died 13 Aug. 1917 in Liberty, Parke Co., IN. He married Serena Boothe on 28 Oct. 1868 in Vermilion Co., IL. She was born 26 July 1846 in IL, and died 18 June 1933. They were in the 1880 and 1900 censuses for Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑14)
Children - Graves
+188. Lillie Belle Graves, b. 22March 1871, m. Albert Milton McMahan, 1 May 1889, d. 10 June 1949.
+189. Orville Kilburn Graves, b. 18 May 1876, m. Lillie Myrtle Snyder, d. 23 March 1950.
190. Sarah M. Graves, b.c. 1879 (IL), d. (Vermillion Co., IL).
+191. Clarence E. Graves, b. 15 April 1887, m. Susanna Williamson, 24 Nov. 1909, d. Aug. 1963.
Henry Clay Graves (81) was born 15 April 1851 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 21 July 1909 in IL. He married Serena Ellen Hines, daughter of John Howard Hinds and Adaline Henthorn, on 24 April 1879 in Vermilion Co., IL. She was born 8 Sept. 1861 in Danville, IL, and died 8 Nov. 1916 in IL. They were in the 1880 census for Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL, living next to his brother James, with no children. They were in the 1900 census for Danville, Vermilion Co., IL, with 2 daughters. After Henry died, Ellen married David V. Fisher on 18 July 1911 in chicago, Cook Co., IL. He was born in 1841 and died in Champaign, IL. (R‑14)
Children - Graves
192. Gertrude H. Graves, b. 20 Sept. 1884, m. William John Burke, 1907, d. 25 Feb. 1908.
193. Ethel Adeline Graves, b. 27 May 1887 (or 1890) (Westville, IL), m(1) Fred John Becker, 23 May 1911 (Piatt, IL), m(2) William Roderic Brannock, 31 Oct. 1939 (IN), m(3) John M. Lutz, after 1950 (Champaign, IL), d. 7 Sept. 1972 (Danville, IL).
Orville Douglas Graves (84) was born 24 March 1860 in Georgetown Twp., and died 26 June 1941 in Westlake Village, both in Vermilion Co., IL. He married Carrie C. Custer, daughter of Edward F. Custer and Jennie D. Graves, on 5 Dec. 1889 in Indianapolis, IN. She was born in Dec. 1867 in IL, and died 22 Nov. 1937 in Vermilion Co., IL.
Children - Graves
194. Dollie M. Graves, b. 8 Oct. 1890 (Vermilion Co., IL), d. 19 Jan. 1973.
195. Alice Lola Graves, b. 4 June 1892 (Westville, IL), m(1) William N. Lape, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. Oct. 1971 (Kokomo, Howard Co., IN). 2 sons by William Lape, and 2 sons and 2 daughters by second husband.
+196. Walter Scott Graves, b. 10 Sept. 1895, m. Edna Olive McKee, d. 28 June 1952.
197. Everett E. Graves, b. 2 Aug. 1899 (Vermilion Co., IL), d. 12 Aug. 1964 Los Angeles, CA).
CHILDREN OF LEVI HENRY GRAVES (32)
Olive A. Graves (92) was born 10 July 1851 in Vermilion Co., Ill., and died 1924 in Coffeyville, Montgomery Co., Kansas. She married David E. Moore. (R‑5)
Children - Moore
198. Milton A. Moore
199. Levi H. Moore
200. Matilda Moore
201. Lydia A. Moore
202. George W. Moore
203. James A. Moore
204. Mary D. Moore
205. Hannah L. Moore
206. Daisy Moore
Mary Margaret Graves (93) was born 9 Dec. 1852 in Vermilion Co., Ill., and died 19 June 1931 in Coffeyville, Montgomery Co., Kansas. She married Milton Ashby on 28 Aug. 1870 in Vermilion Co. He was born 27 Oct. 1846 in Danville, Vermilion Co., Ill., and died 2 Sept. 1912 in Coffeyville. (R‑5)
Children - Ashby
207. Lillie N. Ashby, m. D. A. Jones.
+208. James Levi Ashby, b. 6 July 1874, m. Jessie Evelyn Beckner, 31 July 1897, d. 2 Dec. 1961.
209. Alva M. Ashby, m. Anna E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
210. Maude M. Ashby, m. Jesse Edwin Peterson.
Amanda Melvina Graves (94) was born 22 July 1854 in Vermilion Co., Ill., and died 15 April 1925 in Coffeyville, Montgomery Co., Kansas. She married Samuel O'Neal on 28 Aug. 1870 in Vermilion Co., Ill. He died 11 Jan. 1914, and was buried in Springhill Cem., Danville, IL. (R‑5)
Children - O'Neal
211. Maggie O'Neal, b. 14 July 1871, d. 16 Sept. 1872.
212. Isaac L. O'Neal, b. 23 Jan. 1874, d. 15 March 1885.
213. Flora L. O'Neal, b. 20 March 1875, d. 25 Aug. 1876.
+214. Mamie Lee O'Neal, b. 29 Nov. 1883, m. Albert Beair, 29 Nov. 1900, d. 18 Jan. 1961.
215. Gertrude Grace O'Neal, b. 4 April 1888 (Montgomery Co., Kans.), m. John Clay Hart, 17 June 1904 (Montgomery Co., Kans.).
216. Samuel Benjamin O'Neal, b. 9 Feb. 1890 (Montgomery Co., Kans.), d. 10 May 1941 (Montgomery Co., Kans.).
Martha B. Graves (96) was born in 1862, and died 29 Jan. 1899 in Westville, Vermilion Co., IL. She married Luther A. Clingan on 28 Dec. 1882 in Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑8)
Children - Clingan
217. Blanche Clingan
218. Herschell Clingan
+219. Thelma Tucker Clingan, b. 12 July 1924, m. James Leroy Clingan, Jr., Feb. 1958, d. 10 July 1987.
CHILDREN OF DOCTOR F. GRAVES (34) AND MARY MARTIN
Margaret Ella Graves (101) was born 16 April 1859 and died 1933. She married Isaac M. Richards. He was born 7 Oct. 1854 and died in 1925. (R‑8)
Children - Richards
220. Effie M. Richards, b. 5 May 1881.
221. Pearl O. Richards, b. 19 July 1884.
222. James F. Richards, b. 12 Aug. 1886, d. May 1968.
223. Elva L. Richards, b. 11 Sept. 1889.
224. Harry A. Richards, b. 20 Dec. 1892, d. Oct. 1974.
225. Martin E. Richards, b. 13 Sept. 1897.
226. George W. Richards, b. 4 June 1900, d. 1901.
227. Cecil Isaac Richards, b. 18 Feb. 1902.
Clara Frances Graves (102) was born 1 Aug. 1861 and died 12 Feb. 1936. She married Henderson White. He was born June 1859 and died 8 June 1925. (R‑8)
Children - White
228. Mabel White, b. 29 Sept. 1885, m. Leslie Washburn, d. March 1963.
+229. Margaret K. White, b. 11 Jan. 1888, m. Ora Sanks, d. 12 Nov. 1969.
230. Oscar White, b. May 1891.
231. Mary White, b. Nov. 1894.
+232. Rolly M. White, b. Aug. 1898, m. Zula M. Mitchell, d. 9 Sept. 1970.
Zerelda Kate ("Katie") Graves (103) was born 2 April 1864 and died 24 May 1932. She married Henry R. Spicer. He was born 22 Dec. 1858 and died 5 July 1936. (R‑8)
Children - Spicer
233. Lois J. Spicer, b. 16 June 1896.
234. Lola Spicer, b. 1902.
James H. Graves (104) was born 3 May 1870 and died 29 June 1927 in Georgetown Twp., Vermilion Co., IL. He married Alice E. Puzzey. She was born in Jan. 1871. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
235. Richard Graves, b. 4 May 1898, m. Mareece Miller, d. 1971.
Nellie Graves (105) was born 31 July 1876 and died 28 April 1940. She married William H. Schaeffer. He was born 1870 and died 1953. (R‑8)
Children - Schaeffer
+236. Kathleen Schaeffer, m. Joseph Puskac.
237. Willard Schaeffer
238. Wilma Schaeffer, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Kendall.
+239. Donald Schaeffer, b. 15 Oct. 1915, m. Evelyn Marie Howard, d. 29 Jan. 1976.
+240. Frances Schaeffer, b. 10 July 1918, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Stull, m(2) Allen Howard, d. 22 Feb. 1986.
CHILDREN OF AMANDA M. GRAVES (35) AND SAMUEL COOK
James P. Cook (107) was born 27 March 1855 in Catlin Twp., Vermilion Co., IL. He married Eveline (or Evelyn) O'Neal on 5 Sept. 1877 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑8)
Children - Cook
+241. Lillian Gertrude Cook, b. 17 Jan. 1881, m. Francis Constantine Downing, 4 July 1900, d. 5 Dec. 1946.
242. Stella E. Cook, b.c. 1883, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Curry.
243. Lena J. Cook, b.c. 1883.
244. Herman A. Cook, b.c. 1885.
CHILDREN OF JOHN S. GRAVES (39) AND JANE A. BAILEY
Etta May Graves (117) was born 6 May 1869 on a farm in Holden, MO, and died 22 Oct. 1948 in Holden, MO. She joined the Holden Christian Church at age 14, and attended A. F. Smith College at Holden. She married Frank Davidson Ball, son of John Ball and Anna Davidson, on 5 Oct. 1892. He was born 5 Oct. 1866 in Fayette Co., OH, and died 15 April 1925 in Holden, MO. They lived in Kansas City, MO in their early married life, and later moved to a farm near Holden. He became Postmaster of Holden, MO in 1915. His tombstone states that he was a Shriner. (R‑9, R‑10)
Children - Ball
245. John Graves Ball, b. 30 Dec. 1893, d. 10 Feb. 1934.
+246. Lora Davidson Ball, b. 11 Nov. 1896, m. Everett Lew Golladay, 15 Nov. 1917.
247. Homer Bailey Ball, b. 6 Nov. 1899, d. 10 April 1960.
248. Helen Elizabeth Ball
CHILDREN OF MARTHA A. GRAVES (41) AND PETER H. BURTON
Scott Graves Burton (127) was born 3 April 1854 in KY, and died 7 March 1925 in Boyle Co., KY. He first married Nora Griffith Huffschmidt in 1885. She was born 1 Jan. 1860 and died 1 Sept. 1887. He married second Mattie E. Beazley about 1892. She was born 11 Nov. 1864 in KY, and died 23 March 1903. This family was recorded on the 1900 census in Magisterial District 4, Boyle Co., KY; their children werer born in KY. Scott and Mattie were buried in Bellevue Cem., Danville, Boyle Co., KY. (R‑8)
Children - Burton, by Nora G. Huffschmidt
249. Walter Burton, b. July 1885, d. 1935.
+250. Martha Edna Burton, b. 7 Feb. 1887, m. John Y. Spears, d. 12 Aug. 1987.
Children - Burton, by Mattie Beazley
251. James Embry Burton, b. Oct. 1893.
252. Orrin Grimes Burton, b. 16 Dec. 1895, m. Lillian Walker, d. 3 March 1988. They lived in Paris, KY.
253. William Dunn Burton, b. 9 April 1897.
Mary Daniel Burton (128) was born 5 Nov. 1857. She married Watkins Royster Dunn in 1876. He died 13 Nov. 1881. (R‑8)
Children - Dunn
254. William Merritt Dunn, m. Maude Bain.
+255. Martha Alberta Dunn, m. Clarence Walter Ham.
256. Peter Burton Dunn, b. 1881, d. 1957.
Sallie Scott Burton (130) was born 29 Nov. 1863 and died 18 Feb. 1917. She married Benjamin Franklin Smart on 20 Oct. 1885. He was born 13 Dec. 1850 and died 9 Jan. 1921.
Her obituary: "Mrs. B. F. Smart died at her home in Shaker Bend on last Sunday night at 10 o'clock, of cancer from which she had been a long sufferer. All that could be done by loving hands was tendered her. Last Saturday when she realized the end was near she called her loved ones around her bed and bid them goodbye. A devout member of Mt. Zion Methodist Church and a true Christian, much beloved for her kindly character and good life, death had no terrors for her. Beside her husband, she leaves four children, E. B. Smart of Lexington, Mrs. M. D. Gordon, John and Martha Smart all of Shaker Bend, and two brothers, Scott Burton of Danville, and Charles Burton of Lexington. Funeral services were held at the home conducted by Rev. S. A. Arnold of Wilmore and attended by a large number of sorrowing friends. The interment was in the Daniel Burying Ground near by. The sympathy and prayers of friends extended to the stricken family in the affliction."
His obituary read: "Sincere regret was felt by the Shaker Bend community Sunday, Jan. 9th when B. F. Smart was called by the angel of death to his own and final home. Two days later his ashes were returned to the kindred earth from whence they sprang. We extend our sympathy to the bereaved family, but we know there is but one comforter who is bale to console them.
They say he's dead, but he is not, He only lives above. Where all is peace, heavenly peace, Where reigns the Prince of Love. They say he's dead, but he is not, He has only finished his pilgrimage. To that celestial land beyond the river Where he comes to his heritage. Oh friend, mourn not his loss, He has only answered the roll call, That glorious roll call of God Which sooner or later will come to all. We will not call him back To this land of pain and strife, Since to a soul weary and tired Sweet is death after life. Thelma Campion." (R‑8)
Children - Smart
+257. Maudie Belle Smart, b. 15 Sept. 1888, m. Morris Daniel Gordon, 11 Feb. 1914, d. 26 Sept. 1952.
258. Edmund Burton Smart, b. 28 July 1896, m. Bess Parson, d. 13 April 1962.
+259. Martha Elizabeth Smart, b. 8 Dec. 1901, m. Luther Beatley, d. 6 March 1996.
260. Mary Hannah Smart, b. 8 Dec. 1901, d. 22 Oct. 1902.
261. John Charles Smart, b. 6 Dec. 1905, m. Vivian Parson, d. 7 Sept. 1871. Bur. Hillcrest Memorial Park.
Martha Alexander ("Pattie") Burton (131) was born 20 Jan. 1867 and died 4 July 1923. She married William Matthew Reynolds on 13 Oct. 1891. He was born 23 Nov. 1860 and died 14 May 1932. (R‑8)
Children - Reynolds
262. Ruth Brown Reynolds, b. 30 Dec. 1892, m. Asa Dennis Switzer, 23 March 1933, d. 13 Aug. 1967. He was b. 11 Jan. 1900 and d. 29 Dec. 1975.
+263. Grace Mae Reynolds, b. 4 July 1895, m. Hansle Lee Poor, 1 Jan. 1922, d. 1 Nov. 1988.
+264. John Price Reynolds, b. 31 Oct. 1896, m. Virginia Penn, 23 Dec. 1926, d. 28 June 1979.
+265. Rosalind Burton Reynolds, b. 26 April 1902, m. Henry Lee Jackson, 26 Dec. 1923, d. 28 Feb. 1995.
Willie Crutcher ("Will") Burton (132) was born 27 May 1869 and died in 1956. She married Edward D. ("Ed") Hawkins in 1891. They lived in Lexington. (R‑8)
Children - Hawkins
266. Dawson Hawkins
Charlie Cunningham Burton (133) was born 25 Oct. 1871. He married Beulah B. Smith in 1907. They lived in Lexington. (R‑8)
Children - Burton
+267. William Scott Burton, b. 12 Sept. 1907, m. Retta ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. Nov. 1970.
Nonie Betty Burton (134) was born 5 Sept. 1873 and died 13 Oct. 1931. She married James Henry Bates. (R‑8)
Children - Bates
268. Luther Bates
269. Royster Bates
270. Benjamin Bates
CHILDREN OF ROBERT BARCLAY (47) AND SARAH BURKHART
Milford E. Barclay (144) was born 4 April 1846 and died 26 Jan. 1917, both in Pulaski Co., KY. He married Charity Elizabeth Owens on 18 Aug. 1875 in Pulaski Co. She was born 29 Nov. 1856 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died 8 Feb. 1895, daughter of Adam Owens (b. 1815, TN) and Sarah A. Marsee (b. 30 May 1818). (R‑3)
Children - Barclay
+271. Mary Jane Barclay, b. 22 Sept. 1876, m. William Custard Huey, 28 Aug. 1900, d. 8 July 1943.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM L. GRAVES (48) AND CATHERINE CLONCH
Francis Newton Graves (145) was born 4 March 1852 in Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 10 Oct. 1933 in Wewoka, Seminole Co., Okla. He married Sally B. Mitchell about 1906 in Elk City, Beckham Co., Okla. Terr. She was born in Waco, Texas. They lived in Moore, Okla. Territory with his family, and later moved to Wewoka, Okla. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
272. Malone Graves (adopted); he lived with his parents in Wewoka, Okla., then moved to Pine Bluff, Ark.
William C. ("Kit") Graves (147) was born 5 Dec. 1858 (or 1859) in Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 19 Dec. 1936 in Stroud, Lincoln Co., Okla. (Based on his nickname, it seems likely that his middle name was Christopher, and that he was named for his mother's father.) He married Maggie L. Cox on 20 May 1884 in Lily, Ky. She was born April 1862. Kit operated a clothing store in Perry and Red Rock, Okla. about 1892 with his brother Henry. He was involved in a murder trial in Pulaski Co., Ky. about 1886 and was acquitted. This was the reason his father moved the family to the Oklahoma Territory. Kit later lived in Stroud, Okla. after his brother Henry moved to Calif.
Kit and Maggie were in the 1900 census for White Rock, Noble Co., OK, with his mother and other family members living with him. These included Millard and Ethel, children of his brother Henry, and Tina, daughter of his brother James. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
Henry Clay Graves (149), twin of his brother George, was born 19 Dec. 1862 in Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 12 April 1937 in Santa Rosa, Calif. He married Sarah J. Bryant on 19 May 1883 in Pulaski Co. She had been his school teacher in Ky. She was born 24 Dec. 1861 in Ky., and was buried in Winfield, Kans. Henry operated a clothing store with his brother Kit in Okla. Territory. Later he sold his business and property and moved to Santa Rosa, Calif. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
276. Mary Graves, died at age 13. Buried in Moore, Okla. Cem.
277. Dennis Graves, died at age 5. Buried in Moore, Okla. Cem.
278. Millard Graves; named for his father's brother. He moved with his family to Calif. He was killed accidently at about age 35.
279. Ethel Graves; lived in Calif.
James Logan Graves (151) was born 14 Feb. 1866 in Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 29 March 1941 in Oklahoma City, Okla. He married Sarah Cole, daughter of John H. Cole and S. F. Helton, on 29 (or 27) Oct. 1891 in Moore, Cleveland Co., Okla. Terr. (Bk. 1, p. 136). She was born about 1866 in Va., and died 1893 in Oklahoma Territory.
His obituary follows.
James L. Graves, Pioneer of Two Runs, Dies Here
Burial at Moore to Follow Rites in City Sunday
James Logan Graves, 75-year-old city and Moore pioneer who made both the '89 and Cherokee Strip runs, died Saturday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. C. E. Wheeler, 1009 Northeast Tenth street. Services will be at 2:30 p.m. Sunday in the Perrine funeral home with burial in the Moore cemetery.
Graves, a city resident for 52 years, worked as a nurseryman until failing health caused his retirement in 1923. At various times he was employed by the Oklahoma State Fair association and was on the police and sheriff's forces. For the last 15 years he had made his home with Mrs. Wheeler.
Going to Moore at the opening in 1889, Graves was associated with his brothers in the Graves Brothers store. He married Sara Cole in 1893, Mrs. Graves dying three years later.
Graves was born Feb. 14, in Somerset, Ky. He was one of the founders of the Baptist church in Temple, Cotton county, where he had lived at times.
Survivors include one son, James L. of Los Angeles; another daughter, Mrs. H. M. Bayless, 2626 Northwest Sixteenth street; a sister, Mrs. Florence Mounger, 1600 Northeast Twelfth street; and a brother, Seymour, of Los Angeles.
Children - Graves
280. Laverne Graves (twin of Logan)
281. James Logan Graves (twin of Laverne)
282. Tina Graves, b. April 1893 (OK), m. Jack Wheeler, d. 1975. Her mother died when she was a baby. Relatives took her into their home. She was living with her uncle and aunt, William and Maggie, in 1900. She lived in Okla. City, Okla.
Horatio Seymour Graves (152), called Seymour, was born Dec. 1867 in Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 28 Feb. 1945 in Los Angeles, Calif. He married Etta A. ("Ettie") ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born April 1867 in KY. They were in the 1920 census for Los Angeles, Los Angeles Co., CA, living with EttaÕs mother, Mary A. Anderson. They were in the 1930 and 1940 censuses for Los Angeles, Los Angeles Co., CA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
283. Earl Graves, b.c. 1894 (OK).
284. Ethel (or Myrtle C.) Graves, b.c. 1894 (KS).
Florence Graves (153) was born 17 July 1873 in Somerset, Pulaski Co., Ky., and died 21 May 1954 in Oklahoma City, Okla. (death cert. 007227, Okla. Dept. of Health file). She married John Lee Mounger, called Lee, on 18 Oct. 1892 in Norman, Cleveland Co., Okla. Terr. (Bk. I, p. 207). He was a son of William Mounger and Mary Scott, was born 28 Nov. 1868 in Venice, Madison Co., Ill., and died 5 April 1955 in Okla. City, Okla. They were both buried in Moore Cem., Moore, Okla.
Florence and Lee lived in Moore, Oklahoma Territory, moving to Waterloo, Oklahoma Territory about 1896. John Lee Mounger was affectionately called "Captain" by his fellow railroad workers. He worked as a Section Foreman, and often they lived in a Section House provided by the railroad. He was called "Lee" by his family.
With the exception of wagon trains and stage coaches, means of transportation didn't change much until the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad (called the "Katy") in 1873. Between 1880 and 1910, railroad track mileage increased from 189 to 5,980 miles, crisscrossing the state in a network that reached all towns of major size and many smaller ones. The first paved road was not completed until 1930. It had a total length of 264 miles.
Railroads had their problems in the early years with Indian hostility, a class known as "Terminuses" or frontier "Badmen", and trainmen of these days had to be "hard" to keep trains running at all. Indians referred to the "Devil's Ironrails". Around the council fires the rainmakers told their people "the clouds could not get across railway tracks." The tracks were laid in 52-pound rails. It was about 1903 before 60- to 65-pound rails were laid. Railroads received sizeable land grants.
In 1898 they moved back to Moore and to Oklahoma City in 1899. From Oklahoma City they moved to western Oklahoma and bought a farm near Elk City, where they were required to live on the property for six months to "prove" it.
One railroad job took Lee Mounger to Missouri, allowing him to return home only on weekends. They settled in Agra about 1907, and the four children attended school there. Agra is in northern Lincoln Co., Okla., 13 miles north of Chandler. The post office was established Dec. 20, 1902. Agra's name was coined by the townsite developer from the word agriculture. It was a thriving community on the Katy Railroad line. From their house they could see the station and observe arriving and departing passengers. There were school and church functions, socials, and many lifetime friends continued to visit them in their later years.
They returned to Oklahoma City with the Katy Railroad about 1920 and remained there until their deaths. Lee Mounger retired from the Katy Railroad after working past the mandatory retirement age by "simply not telling them his age." He continued in part-time work until his death. Their home was at 1600 N.E. 12th Street. (R‑1)
Children - Mounger
+285. Ada Lee Mounger, b. 27 Aug. 1893, m. Frank T. Stephens, d. 19 July 1951.
286. Mary Catherine Mounger, b. 28 Feb. 1896 (Waterloo, Oklahoma Territory), never married. Waterloo is in southern Logan Co., 5 miles north of Edmond (originally Brayton). She was named for her two grandmothers, Catherine Clonch Graves and Mary Scott Mounger. She graduated from Agra High School and attended Central State Teachers College at Edmond, Okla. one year. She operated a dress shop in the Security Bldg. in downtown Oklahoma City from about 1917 through 1921. Because of temporary ill health, she moved her shop to her parents' home. In 1980 she was still working at her occupation of redesigning and remodeling clothes. She never married. 1980 address: 1600 N.E. 12th St., Oklahoma City, OK 73117.
+287. William Newton Mounger, b. 28 Feb. 1898, m. Hazel Margaret Jensen, c. 1929, d. 26 Aug. 1970.
+288. Nina Mae Mounger, b. 17 Dec. 1900, m. Marion Benjamin Finley, 11 Oct. 1919, d. 27 May 1942.
CHILDREN OF THOMAS M. GRAVES (58)
Charles Bradley Graves (162) was born 16 Sept. 1886 (or possibly 1885) in MO, and died 24 March 1928 in Macon, Macon Co., MO. He married Minnie Mae Lunsford, daughter of Henry M. Lunsford and Martha Elizabeth Peterson, on 17 June 1906 in Macon, MO. She was born 28 May 1888 in Macon Co., MO, and died in July 1974 in Macon, Macon Co., MO. After Charles died, Minnie married Frank Chasteen. (R‑13)
Children - Graves
289. William Carl Graves, b.c. 1909 (MO).
290. Mary Ellen Graves, b.c. 1914 (MO).
+291. Milford Lee Graves, b. 19 Aug. 1917, m. Margaret Patrick, 25 Dec. 1938, d. 10 Dec. 1997.
+292. Cledis Mae Graves, b. 2 Dec. 1922, m(1) Arthur Leland Barnett, 5 June 1944, m(2) Walter Earl Downey, 15 Dec. 1946, d. 18 March 2000.
+293. Harold Junior Graves, b. 14 Sept. 1926, m. Frances Ban, 8 Sept. 1951, d. 19 Aug. 2007.
CHILDREN OF MARGARET J. GRAVES (63) AND SAMUEL W. BLACK
James Greenville Black (164) was born 30 Jan. 1856 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died 13 April 1930 in Cumberland Co., IL. He married Rachel Dukes on 1 Jan. 1930 in Vermilion Co., IL. She was born 10 May 1856 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died 2 Aug. 1942 in Cumberland Co., IL. (R‑8)
Children - Black
+294. Ruby Jane Black, b. 1 Jan. 1880, m. Charles L. Bennett, 3 April 1904, d. 1 July 1948.
+295. Ora Dukes Black, b. 20 June 1881, m. Pearl Woodburn, 30 Dec. 1900, d. 9 Aug. 1955.
296. Ida May Black, b. 19 Sept. 1883, d. 22 Nov. 1903. Bur. Washington Cem., Cumberland Co., IL.
+297. Daisy Pearl Black, b. 23 Sept. 1889, m(1) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, m(3) Orla Enos Sharp, 23 June 1915, d. 7 July 1974.
+298. Rachel Helene Black, b. 7 June 1901, m(1) Martin Adison Ruffner, 7 June 1917, m(2) Oliver Lincoln Hayworth, 2 April 1949, m(3) Allen Ruffner, c. 1970, d. 14 Oct. 1977.
Ernest Grant Black (169) was born 3 Sept. 1863 in Westville, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 3 April 1951. He married Juletta Hester Widner on 12 March 1890. She was born 11 March 1870 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 1 Jan. 1943. They were both buried in Georgetown Cem., Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL. Both their children were born in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑8)
Children - Black
+299. Lester William Black, b. 14 Nov. 1895, m. Maude Sheets Jenkins, 22 April 1920, d. 20 Oct. 1961.
+300. Lois Wilma Black, b. 17 Aug. 1909, m. Harley William Mills, 29 Nov. 1930.
Mary Ettie Black (170) was born 25 Jan. 1865 in IL, and died 5 Oct. 1935. She married Joseph J. Smith on 18 March 1886. He was born 16 Oct. 1859 and died 10 Jan. 1941. (R‑8)
Children - Smith
301. Fred Plowman Smith, b. 13 Jan. 1887, m. Edythe Mae Brinkerhoff, 20 Jan. 1914, d. 21 July 1950. He was bur. Ridgefarm Cem., Ridgefarm, Vermilion Co., IL. She was b. 29 June 1891.
302. Roy Samuel Smith, b. 29 July 1898, d. 23 Aug. 1899.
Leotto M. Black (172) was born 11 July 1870 in Westville, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 20 Feb. 1948. He married Cora Ettie Sisson on 14 Feb. 1906. She was born 10 Feb. 1882 and died 15 Dec. 1962. They were both buried in Crown Hill Cem., Vermilion Co., IL. All their children were born in Westville, IL. (R‑8)
Children - Black
303. Dale Sisson Black, b. 21 Jan. 1907, m. Rosella Cain, 3 Feb. 1934, d. 15 Feb. 1970. She was b. 3 Feb. 1934. Both bur. Georgetown Cem., Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL.
304. Dorothy Margaret Black, b. 14 April 1909, m. John Albert Ziebell, 9 Oct. 1937 (Vincennes, IN), d. 16 Oct. 1994. He was b. 7 April 1902 in Oxford, NE and d. 12 Feb. 1952. Both bur. Crown Hill Cem., Vermilion Co., IL.
+305. Dwight Leotto Black, b. 2 Sept. 1917, m(1) Bobbi Jean Holcomb, before 1943, m(2) Freda Rubydean Heady, 19 June 1949, d. 28 June 1968.
CHILDREN OF LEMUEL T. GRAVES (70) AND HETTY A. HIESTAND
Margaret Marie Graves (180) was born 13 Jan. 1895, and died 19 Feb. 1972 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas Co., FL. She married Charles ("Charlie") Albert Lenz on 20 Feb. 1929 in Rockford, IL. He was born 24 Jan. 1895 in Danforth Twp., IL, and died 21 Oct. 1977 in St. Petersburg, FL. They were both buried in Memorial Park Cem., St. Petersburg, FL. Both their children were born in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL.
Charlie moved with his parents to Gilman, IL in 1914. He graduated from Gilman High School and attended the University of Illinois. He was known for national insurance coverage of outdoor amusement centers, and once owned the largest insurance agency in the southeast U.S. He first married Helen Houghton, daughter of Will Houghton. She died in March 1920 at the age of 23, having been married for only 3 months. Charlie then married Margaret Marie Graves. After wintering in Florida for several years, they moved permanently to St. Petersburg around 1943. Although they had a home in St. Petersburg, Charlie also had a home in Homosassa, FL, where he owned land and developed what is now Nature's Resort in addition to starting the Chamber of Commerce there. After Marie's death, Charlie married a third time to Olga ("Mike") ‑‑‑‑‑‑. (R‑8)
Children - Lenz
+306. Sarah Caroline Lenz, b. 22 May 1930, m. John O'Neal Cox, Jr., 5 April 1952.
307. Albert Taylor Lenz, b. 20 Oct. 1931, m(1) Shirley Goalby, m(2) Cookie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 29 Dec. 1990 (cancer, St. Petersburg, FL). No children.
Mable Alice Graves (181) was born 10 Sept. 1899, died in Jan. 1983, and was buried in Springhill Cem., Danville, IL. She married Richard Randolph Tyson on 4 Sept. 1927. (R‑8)
Children - Tyson
+308. Alicia May Tyson, b. 8 Feb. 1928, m(1) John Patrick Dolan, m(2) Thomas Scott Swaggerty Cutshaw, June 1951.
309. Richard Randolph Tyson, Jr., b. July 1932, d. 4 Sept. 1934. Bur. Springhill Cem., Danville, Vermilion Co., IL.
310. Alan Randolph Tyson, b. 2 April 1936, d. 19 Aug. 1955. Bur. Springhill Cem., Danville, IL.
CHILDREN OF JULIA GRAVES (73) AND DAUPHIN CLARK
Harrison ("Harry") Winans Clark (186) was born 14 May 1903 in Pleasant Ridge, WA, and died 5 Jan. 1956 in LaConner, Skagit Co., WA. He married Valborg Christine Brandt on 30 Oct. 1933. She was born 10 March 1908 in Conway, WA. Harry farmed the family farm near LaConner, WA until his death. All their children were born in Mount Vernon, Skagit Co., WA. (R‑8)
Children - Clark
+311. Janet Clark, b. 30 June 1934, m. Don Kerr.
+312. V. Anita Clark, b. 1 July 1936, m. Richard Dalan.
+313. Harriett Elaine Clark, b. 4 April 1943, m. Gerald Faller, 8 Feb. 1963.
CHILDREN OF JAMES L. GRAVES (79) AND SERENA BOOTHE
Lillie Belle Graves (188) was born 22 March 1871 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died 10 June 1949 in Fountain Co., IL. She married Albert Milton McMahan on 1 May 1889 in Vermilion Co., IL. He was born in March 1866 in IL, and died in 1924. (R‑14)
Children - McMahan
314. Roy Everett McMahan, b. 12 Feb. 1890 (Westville, Vermilion Co., IL), m. Grace Dolly Ritter, d. 24 Oct. 1916 (Eugene, Vermilion Co., IN). 3 sons.
315. Ralph Milton McMahan, b. 16 Dec. 1891 (Westville, Vermilion Co., IL), m(1) Myrtle Kiger, 14 Nov. 1912 (IN), m(2) Wilda Janette Ritenour, 30 Oct. 1920 (Montgomery Co., IN), d. 14 March 1972 (Crawfordsville, Montgomery Co., IN). 2 daughters and 1 son by 2nd marriage.
316. Albert Lester McMahan, b. 18 April 1899 (Vermilion Co., IL), m. Goldia Laurel Newnum, 31 Oct. 1917 (Cuyahoga, OH). 4 sons.
317. Ivan Villard McMahan, b. 23 Jan. 1905 (IN), m(1) Vivian Helen Reed, 11 April 1925 (IN), m(2) Dorothy Lucille Crowder, d. 10 Dec. 1979 (Veedersburg, Fountain Co., IN). 1 daughter by each marriage.
318. Alma Marie McMahan, b. 21 Feb. 1911 (Fountain Co., IN), m. Floyd Keller, 4 June 1926 (Warren Co., IN), d. 4 June 1931 (Fulton, Fountain Co., IN). 1 son.
Orville Kilburn Graves (189) was born 18 May 1876 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died 23 March 1950 in Tangier, Parke Co., IN. He married Lillie Myrtle Snyder. She was born 30 May 1876 and died 4 April 1957, both in Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑14)
Children - Graves
+319. George Russell Graves, b. 30 Oct. 1902, m. Eunice Lucille Witsman, d. 26 Feb. 1982.
320. Donnis Myrtle Graves, b. 22 Aug. 1907 (Fountain Co., IN), m. Russell Ivan Lamb, 12 Dec. 1931 (IN), d. 17 April 1989 (Crawfordsville, Montgomery Co., IN). 1 daughter.
Clarence E. Graves (191) was born 15 April 1887 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL, and died in Aug. 1963. He married Susanna Williamson on 24 Nov. 1909 in IN. She was born 27 Aug. 1887 in Parke Co., IN, and died 19 Nov. 1941 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL. (R‑14)
Children - Graves
321. Roy Russell Graves, b. and d. 18 July 1911 (Parke Co., IN).
322. Flossie Lucille Graves, b. 27 May 1912 (Parke Co., IN), d. 30 June 1935 (Terre Haute, Vigo Co., IN).
CHILDREN OF ORVILLE D. GRAVES (84) AND CARRIE C. CUSTER
Walter Scott Graves (196) was born 10 Sept. 1895 in Westville, Vermilion Co., IL, and died 28 June 1952 in Michigan City, La Porte Co., IN. He married Edna Olive McKee, daughter of Samuel Warren McKee and Jessie Myrtle Forcum. She was born 20 Feb. 1900 in IL, and died 17 March 1987 in Michigan City, IN.
Children - Graves
323. Winifred June Graves, b. 8 Feb. 1924 (IL), m. William George Kraemer, d. Feb. 1976 (Michigan City, La Porte Co., IN).
324. Dorothy Eileen Graves, b. 20 March 1925 (Westville, IL), m. Edward Andrew Adrian, 20 Feb. 1952 (Michigan City, IN), d. 8 Feb. 2006 (Michigan City, IN). 2 sons and 1 daughter.
325. Raymond Eldon Graves, b. 16 Oct. 1927 (Danville, Vermilion Co., IL), m. Carlyne Reitz, d. 28 Jan. 2002 (La Porte, La Porte Co., IN). There may have been another marriage, and there may be 1 son.
CHILDREN OF MARY M. GRAVES (93) AND MILTON ASHBY
James Levi Ashby (208) was born 6 July 1874 in Westfall, Vermilion Co., Ill., died 2 Dec. 1961 in Dixon, Solano Co., Calif., and was buried 5 Dec. 1961 in Dixon. He married Jessie Evelyn Beckner, daughter of George Beckner and Ruth Moon, on 31 July 1897 in Coffeyville, Montgomery Co., Kansas. She was born 20 Feb. 1880 in New Providence, Hardin Co., Iowa, died 1 May 1972 in Woodland, Yolo Co., Calif., and was buried 3 May 1972 in Dixon, Calif. All their children were born in Coffeyville, Kansas. (R‑5)
Children - Ashby
326. George Milton Ashby, b. 28 May 1898, m. Elsie Ray, 30 July 1921 (Montgomery Co., Kans.).
327. Dorothy Agnes Ashby, b. 25 Jan. 1901, m. Malcolm Noel Phillips, 7 Dec. 1919 (Montgomery Co., Kans.), d. 26 April 1931 (Montgomery Co., Kans.).
328. Beulah Fay Ashby, b. 21 Feb. 1903, m. Rollon W. McGrew, 10 Jan. 1925 (Montgomery Co., Kans.).
+329. Margaret Lucille Ashby, b. 10 July 1905, m. Jerome Melvin Joy, 2 Oct. 1926.
330. Helen Jennie Ashby, b. 18 Sept. 1909, m. Henry Fores Forden, 26 Oct. 1932 (Sparks, Washoe Co., Nevada).
331. Florence Mildred Ashby, b. 25 April 1910, m. William Ray Duncan, 9 Sept. 1937 (Dixon, Solano Co., Calif.).
332. Jessie Lee Ashby, b. 11 Sept. 1912, m. Gordon Ross Stephens, 5 Oct. 1935 (Reno, Washoe Co., Nevada).
333. Eleanor Ashby, b. 2 Jan. 1915, m. Arthur Peck, 16 Feb. 1941 (Reno, Washoe Co., Nevada).
334. James Lee Ashby, b. 30 June 1917, m. Connie Van der Putten, 30 July 1938 (Reno, Washoe Co., Nevada).
CHILDREN OF AMANDA M. GRAVES (94) AND SAMUEL O'NEAL
Mamie Lee O'Neal (214) was born 29 Nov. 1883 in Iroquois Co., Ill., and died 18 Jan. 1961 in Montgomery Co., Kansas. She married Albert Beair on 29 Nov. 1900. Both their children were born in Montgomery Co., Kansas. (R‑5)
Children - Beair
+335. Eva May Beair, b. 2 Nov. 1901, m. William Earl Eudaly, 4 June 1922.
336. Leona Marie Beair, b. 31 July 1912, m. Robert Glenn Foland, 7 June 1931.
CHILDREN OF MARTHA B. GRAVES (96) AND LUTHER A. CLINGAN
Thelma Tucker Clingan (219) was born 12 July 1924 in Kentland, IN, and died 10 July 1987 in Danville, Vermilion Co., IL. She married James Leroy Clingan, Jr. in Feb. 1958. He was born 11 Oct. 1921 in Kingman, IN. (R‑8)
Children - Clingan
337. Gregory Lee Clingan, b. 8 Oct. 1959 (Danville, IN), m. Pamela Perry, 5 Nov. 1983.
CHILDREN OF CLARA F. GRAVES (102) AND HENDERSON WHITE
Margaret K. White (229) was born 11 Jan. 1888 and died 12 Nov. 1969. She married Ora Sanks. He was born 1889 and died 27 Dec. 1957. (R‑8)
Children - Sanks
338. Martha Sanks, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Cutler.
339. Harold Sanks
340. Margaret Francis Sanks, b. 5 Dec. 1915, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Schaus.
Rolly M. White (232) was born in Aug. 1898 and died 9 Sept. 1970. He married Zula M. Mitchell. She was born 10 Dec. 1901 and died 23 June 1993. (R‑8)
Children - White
341. Helen White, m. Freemont Ireland.
CHILDREN OF NELLIE GRAVES (105) AND WILLIAM H. SCHAEFFER
Kathleen Schaeffer (236) married Joseph Puskac. (R‑8)
Children - Puskac
342. Theresa Puskac, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Moore.
343. Kathleen Puskac, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Roseman.
+344. William J. Puskac, b. 3 Oct. 1933, m. Joella Sneyd, d. 9 Feb. 1996.
Donald Schaeffer (239) was born 15 Oct. 1915 and died 29 Jan. 1976. He married Evelyn Marie Howard. (R‑8)
Children - Schaeffer
345. Larry Schaeffer
346. Gary Schaeffer
Frances Schaeffer (240) was born 10 July 1918 and died 22 Feb. 1986. She first married ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Stull. She married second Allen Howard. (R‑8)
Children - Stull
347. Richard Stull
348. Robert Wayne Stull
CHILDREN OF JAMES P. COOK (107) AND EVELYN O'NEAL
Lillian Gertrude Cook (241) was born 17 Jan. 1881 and died 5 Dec. 1946, both in Westville, Vermilion Co., IL. She married Francis Constantine Downing on 4 July 1900 in Westville, IL. (R‑8)
Children - Downing
+349. James Leonard Downing, b. 1908, m(1) Lillian Adeline Longmire, m(2) Josie Dell Sollars, d. 1979.
CHILDREN OF ETTA M. GRAVES (117) AND FRANK D. BALL
Lora Davidson Ball (246) was born 11 Nov. 1896 in Holden, MO. She married Everett Lew (or Lou?) Golladay, son of Maurice Golladay and Laura Rice, on 15 Nov. 1917 in Holden, MO. He was born 29 Aug. 1894 in Holden, MO. (R‑10)
Children - Golladay
350. Jean Laurette Golladay, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Weber.
CHILDREN OF SCOTT G. BURTON (127) AND NORA G. HOFFSCHMIDT
Martha Edna Burton (250), called Edna or "Dee", was born 7 Feb. 1887 in KY, and died 12 Aug. 1987. She married John Y. Spears. She celebrated her 100th birthday in a nursing home in Lexington, KY, when her picture was in the newspaper with her half-brother, Orrin. (R‑8)
Children - Spears
+351. John Y. Spears, Jr., b. 27 Sept. 1933, m(1) Willie Mae Stagner, m(2) Evelyn Hall.
CHILDREN OF MARY D. BURTON (128) AND WATKINS R. DUNN
Martha Alberta Dunn (255) married Clarence Walter Ham. (R‑8)
Children - Ham
352. Wilburt Ham
CHILDREN OF SALLIE S. BURTON (130) AND BENJAMIN F. SMART
Maudie Belle Smart (257) was born 15 Sept. 1888, died 26 Sept. 1952, and was buried in Wilmore Cem., Wilmore, KY. She married Morris Daniel Gordon on 11 Feb. 1914. He was born 9 Nov. 1877, died 21 May 1950 in Mercer General Hospital, Mercer Co., KY, and was buried 23 May 1950 in Wilmore Cem., Wilmore, KY. (R‑8)
Children - Gordon
353. Margaret Patterson Gordon, b. 9 Feb. 1915, m. J. C. Woodard.
354. Sara Burkhardt Gordon, b. 7 July 1916, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Conway.
355. Harry Daniel Gordon, b. 2 April 1918, d. 15 March 1988.
+356. Maria Lois Gordon, b. 31 Jan. 1924, m(1) William R. Edger, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Edger.
Martha Elizabeth Smart (259) was born 8 Dec. 1901 and died 6 March 1996. She married Luther Beatley. (R‑8)
Children - Beatley
357. Luther Beatley
358. William Beatley
359. Barbara Beatley, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Todd.
360. Betty Beatley, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Lohstroh.
CHILDREN OF MARTHA A. BURTON (131) AND WILLIAM M. REYNOLDS
Grace Mae Reynolds (263) was born 4 July 1895 and died 1 Nov. 1988. She married Hansle Lee Poor on 1 Jan. 1922. He was born 26 Feb. 1903 and died 3 Feb. 1970. (R‑8)
Children - Poor
361. Martha June Poor, b. 29 June 1924, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Lowry.
John Price Reynolds (264) was born 31 Oct. 1896 and died 28 June 1979. He married Virginia Penn on 23 Dec. 1926. She was born 26 Dec. 1903 and died 8 Nov. 1989. (R‑8)
Children - Reynolds
362. Murray Price Reynolds, b. 11 Sept. 1939.
Rosalind Burton Reynolds (265) was born 26 April 1902 and died 28 Feb. 1995. She married Henry Lee Jackson on 26 Dec. 1923. He was born 31 March 1899 and died 11 March 1967. (R‑8)
Children - Jackson
363. William Reynolds Jackson, b. 14 Jan. 1925, d. 8 May 1985.
364. Margaret Coleman Jackson, b. 6 March 1927, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brandenburg.
365. Patty Burton Jackson, b. 3 Feb. 1931, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Davidson.
366. Jacquelynn June Jackson, b. 7 Feb. 1938, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Tankersley.
CHILDREN OF CHARLIE C. BURTON (133) AND BEULAH B. SMITH
William Scott Burton (267) was born 12 Sept. 1907 and died in Nov. 1970. He married Retta ‑‑‑‑‑‑. (R‑8)
Children - Burton
367. Betty Ann Burton
CHILDREN OF MILFORD E. BARCLAY (144) AND CHARITY E. OWENS
Mary Jane Barclay (271) was born 22 Sept. 1876 in Pulaski Co., KY, and died 9 July 1943 in Clark Co., IN. She married William Custard Huey, son of John Huey and Mary Fulcher of Pike Co., IL, on 28 Aug. 1900 in Pulaski Co., KY. He was born 5 Sept. 1879 in Pike Co., IL, and died 16 Feb. 1959 in Floyd Co., IN. (R‑3)
Children - Huey
+368. Maggie Agnus Huey, b. 5 Dec. 1902, m. Henry Roscoe Hawk, 26 Nov. 1921, d. 2 Aug. 1984.
CHILDREN OF FLORENCE GRAVES (153) AND JOHN LEE MOUNGER
Ada Lee Mounger (285) was born 27 Aug. 1893 in Moore, Okla. Terr., died 19 July 1951 in Holdenville, Okla., and was buried in Moore Cem., Moore, Okla. She married Frank T. Stephens. He was born 15 Dec. 1896 in Texas, died 18 Oct. 1969 in Holdenville, Okla., and was also buried in Moore Cem. Ada attended Lee School in Oklahoma City as a first grader. She finished high school in Agra, Okla. Frank was a telegrapher and station agent for the Rock Island Railroad. They lived in New Mexico and in Calvin, Shawnee, and Holdenville, Okla. (R‑1)
Children - Stephens
+369. Howard Lee Stephens, b. 21 Feb. 1913, m. Maud Irene Jenks, d. 1968.
+370. James Stephens, b. 17 July 1915, m. Mary Louise Rominger.
William Newton ("Bill") Mounger (287) was born 28 Feb. 1898 in Moore, Oklahoma Territory, died 26 Aug. 1970 in Blanchard, Okla., and was buried in Moore Cem. He married Hazel Margaret Jensen about 1929. She was from Minco, Okla. She was born 1900, and died 1958 in Okla. City, Okla. She was employed until her death as insurance supervisor for Midwest Mortgage Co.
Bill Mounger was named for his paternal grandfather, William Mounger, and his mother's brother, Newton. He attended school in Agra, and at the age of 15 left school to work as a telegrapher for the railroad. He had learned the occupation by going by the train station after school. His parents signed papers allowing him to be employed at a young age. He returned to Oklahoma City and worked for Western Union evenings in order to attend O.C.U. Law School. He passed the Bar in 1929 and prosecuted criminal cases for almost 18 years under five county attorneys. At one time he was a candidate for the office of Oklahoma County Attorney. He retired six years before his death and moved to his farm near Blanchard, Okla. (R‑1)
Children - Mounger
+371. Marjorie Mounger, b. 17 Dec. 1931, m. W. Samuel Dykeman.
Nina Mae Mounger (288) was born 17 Dec. 1900 in Oklahoma City, Okla. Terr., died 27 May 1942 in Polyclinic Hospital, Okla. City, Okla., and was buried in Moore Cem., Moore, Okla. She married Marion Benjamin Finley on 11 Oct. 1919 in First Methodist Episcopal Church, Oklahoma City. Witnesses were Mr. and Mrs. Hugh L. Turner, employer of Marion Finley (Turner Sheet Metal Shop). (Book 2, p. 203, Okla. Co. Court Clerk's Records.)
Marion was born 27 Dec. 1886 in Marlin, Texas, died 19 Feb. 1940 in El Paso, Texas, and was buried there in Evergreen Cem. He had first married Addie Brown in 1910 in Marlin, Texas. They had no children. Addie died in 1918 in Arizona. He was a son of Amanuel Alexander Finley (Civil War veteran) and Nancy Catherine Johnson.
Nina Mounger attended school in Agra, Lincoln Co., Okla., and graduated in 1918 as valedictorian of her class. She attended Edmond State Teachers College for one year and taught school at Hallett in Pawnee Co. and Tryon in Lincoln Co., Okla. Returning to Oklahoma City, she was employed a short time as an office clerk before her marriage.
Nina and Marion moved many times during their marriage, as he was of a restless nature. His occupation was tinsmith. They lived in Amarillo, Texas, Oklahoma City, McAlester, Altus, Holdenville, and Muskogee. They were divorced on 24 March 1926 in Oklahoma Co., Okla. (recorded Index Book I, 1925-35, bk. 4-D, p. 347, Okla. Co. Clerk's office).
Nina and her three children moved to her parents' home. She attended Hill's Business College and was employed as office clerk for Harvey P. Everest, owner- manager of Mid-Continent News Co. on North Broadway until her death. (R‑1)
Children - Finley
+372. Robert Marion Finley, b. 21 Feb. 1921, m(1) Shirley Elizabeth Elliott, 10 June 1947, m(2) Shirley Ann Hampton, 22 June 1973, m(3) Frances Miller, 3 Aug. 1976.
+373. Louise Finley, b. 19 June 1923, m(1) Earnest Wilson Potts, 1 May 1943, m(2) Donald James Wilcox, 13 Aug. 1969.
+374. Billy Lee Finley, b. 14 March 1925, m(1) Mary Beth Monteith, m(2) Doris Majors, m(3) Joetta Smith.
CHILDREN OF CHARLES B. GRAVES (162) AND MINNIE M. LUNSFORD
Milford Lee Graves (291) was born 19 Aug. 1917 in Macon, Macon Co., MO, and died 10 Dec. 1997 in Blue Springs, Jackson Co., MO. He married Margaret Jane Patrick, daughter of John Martin Patrick and Elizabeth Morgan, on 25 Dec. 1938 in Macon, MO. She was born 3 June 1919 in MO, and died 22 Sept. 1996 in Blue Springs, Jackson Co., MO. (R‑13)
Children - Graves
376. Thomas Milford Graves, b. 24 May 1943 (Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO), d. 12 Nov. 2006 (Decatur, Wise Co., TX).
Cledis Mae Graves (292) was born 2 Dec. 1922 and died 18 March 2000, both in Macon, Macon Co., MO. She first married Arthur Leland Barnett on 5 June 1944 in Moberly, Randolph Co., MO. He was born 3 Sept. 1918 in Moberly, Randolph Co., MO, and died in 1985 in MO. She married second Walter Earl Downey on 15 Dec. 1946 in Macon, Macon Co., MO. He was born 7 Jan. 1926 in Macon, MO, and died 12 Feb. 1984 in Milan, Sullivan Co., MO.
Since the 3 children lisrted below are all male with different surnames, it is assumed that they are adopted or foster children, rathr than biological children of Cledis and Walter. (R‑13)
Children - Downey
377. Darrell Weston Chace, b. 14 Sept. 1948, d. 18 Sept. 1977 (Memphis, Shelby Co., TN).
378. Larry Stuart Hiller, b. 1 March 1952 (Kansas City, MO, d. 11 Feb. 1990 (New Haven, New Haven Co., CT).
379. Gary Joseph Woods, b. 7 April 1955 (Macon, Macon Co., MO), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 30 June 2012 (Kirksville, Adair Co., MO).
Harold Junior Graves (293) was born 14 Sept. 1926 in Macon, Macon Co., MO, and died 19 Aug. 2007 in Jacksonville, Duval Co., FL. He married Frances Ban on 8 Sept. 1951 in Jackson Co., MO. (R‑13)
Children - Graves
380. David Bruce Graves, b. 15 May 1955 (Kansas City, KS), d. 21 Feb. 2019 (Jacksonville, Duval Co., FL).
381. Nancy Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Humphries. 2 daughters and 2 sons.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
Granville Co., NC Marriage Bonds, 1758-1868; Orange Co., NC Deeds, v. 2, p. 173-4.
This may be the William Graves who married Nancy Owsley but, if so, his dates are wrong. According to Mrs. Judith A Burke whose query and information appeared in 1993 GFNL, p. 22, Ms. Ronny O. Bodine, Historian-Genealogist for the Owsley Family Historical Society, states: a William Graves did marry Nancy Ann Owsley on 22 Dec. 1790 in Lincoln Co., KY. However, it was a second William Graves who was b. 1768, d. 1852, who married Lydia Ann Williams, dau. of John Williams and Ann Bayne Owsley, on 30 April 1793 in Lincoln Co., KY. (The William Graves, b. 1768 and d. 1852, was a son of Rice Graves and Jane Young, with known descent from Capt. Thomas Graves of VA.)
 Mercer Co., KY was formed from Lincoln Co. in 1785.
 Her name is given in Pulaski Co., KY Deed Book 3, p. 258, 1817.
 Source: Marriage Bonds and Consents, 1811-1830, Mercer Co., KY, compiled and published by Alma Ray Sanders Ison and Rebecca Wilson Conover.
 Miscellaneous Records From Shaker Journals, p. 165, Aug. 11, 1849, William Smart, son of H. P. Smart, died of cholera near Danville, KY.
Aug. 12, 1849 - Sabbath - William Smart died yesterday near Danville and buried today, near the old house where he was born, his relations refusing his interment in his grandfather's graveyard.
 R‑5 gave the marriage date as 1 Jan. 1858.
 Her death date was given as 1943 by R‑10, but R‑9 stated that her tombstone shows 1948.
 R‑9 gives his death date as 15 April 1925, but R‑10 gives 6 April.
 Kentucky, Death Records, 1852-1953, certificate 5509, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 Corrected from 22 years in the obituary.