Revised 16 Dec. 2005, Gen. 101
DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS GRAVES AND JUDITH ‑‑‑‑‑‑
OF NC, TN, AND BLOUNT CO., AL
Thomas Graves (1) was born about 1785 in NC, and died after 1850. He may have been a son of James Graves of Randolph Co., NC, who was born about 1750, and a brother of John (b.c. 1779), Latham (b.c. 1788), James (b.c. 1790), and Doctor (b.c. 1800) Graves. He married Judith ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1793 in TN (or GA), and died after 1850.
It appears that Thomas left NC as a single man, probably about the same time as the others who eventually went to Blount Co., AL, made their exit. He was evidently in Sequatchie Valley, Bledsoe Co., TN, at the same time as John, Latham, and the Beesons, in 1815, but instead of going on to Blount Co., AL when they did, he married a Tennessee girl and stayed there for many years. The 1850 and 1860 censuses of Blount Co., AL, indicate that he had a child born in TN in 1818 and one born there as late as 1833. Sometime between 1833 and 1840 he settled in Blount Co., AL. All their children were born in TN. All the sons lived in Blount Co., AL, when they entered the Army to serve in the Civil War.
He was in the 1830 census for Bledsoe Co., TN: 1 male under 5, 2 males 5 to 10, 1 male 15 to 20, he was 40 to 50; 1 female under 5, 1 female 5 to 10, 1 female 15 to 20, wife was 40 to 50. He was in the 1840 and 1850 censuses for Blount Co., AL. They did not appear on the 1860 census in AL. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑200)
Children - Graves
+2. Jesse Graves, b. 1810-20, m. Sarah Allison, 18 Aug. 1832, d. before 1850.
+3. Harriet Esther Graves, b.c. 1817, m. Thomas Allison, 17 Oct. 1835, d. after 1850.
4. Thomas Graves
+5. John C. Graves, 15 June 1818, m. Mary Graves, 12 Feb. 1838, d. 26 Feb. 1899.
+6. Charles Henry Graves, b.c. 1821, m. Mary Ann Allison, 4 Aug. 1842, d. 5 Nov. 1863 (or 1862).
+7. William Graves, b.c. 1823, m. Dicey ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1848, d. 25 June 1862.
+8. Elizabeth Graves, b.c. 1827, m. Cunningham Allison, after 8 Nov. 1850, d. before 14 Dec. 1858.
+9. Randolph M. Graves, b.c. 1830, m. Elizabeth A. Latham, 23 June 1853, d. 24 March 1896.
10. Nancy Graves, b.c. 1832, d. after 1850 (or at age 77).
11. Judith Graves, b.c. 1833, d. after 1850.
CHILDREN OF THOMAS GRAVES (1) AND JUDITH ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Jesse Graves (2) was born 1810-20 in TN, and died before 1850. He married Sarah ("Sally") Allison (or Ellison), daughter of Cunningham Allison (or Ellison) and Nancy Lankford, on 18 Aug. 1832 in Blount Co., AL. She was born about 1818 in SC. Their children were born in AL. In 1852, Latham Graves was guardian of Sally Allison's children: Charles, Cunningham, and Dorcas. Information sources include Blount Co. marriage records, Blount Co. census, 1840-1900, and Civil War pension records.
Cunningham Allison (or Ellison) was born about 1790, died before 1831, and was a son of David Allison Sr. and Dorcas Cunningham. Their children were: Sarah, b.c. 1815-18, m. Jesse Graves; Thomas, b.c. 1817, AL?, m. Esther Graves (Jesse’s sister); Mary Ann, b. Feb. 1820, GA, m. Charles Henry Graves (Jesse's brother); Cunningham, b.c. 1827, AL, m(1) Elizabeth Graves (Jesse’s sister), m(2) Catherine Holt; Dorcus, b.c. 1826, AL, m. Bazel Gregory; Elizabeth ("Betsy"), b.c. 1827, AL.
Jesse was probably a son of Thomas Graves, but could have been a son of Latham Graves (Thomas's brother). (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Graves
12. Edward Graves, b.c. 1835. He was shown with the family of his uncle John C. Graves in the 1850 Blount Co., AL census.
13. Dorcas Graves, b. 14 Feb. 1839, m(1) Enoch Fletcher Hall, 4 Dec. 1861 (Blount Co., AL, p. 72), m(2) John L. Mitchell, c. 1866, d. 1900-1910. Enoch was b.c. 1840 (NC), son of Ransom Riley Hall and Lydia Emeline Robards. John was b. April 1844 (AL), d. after 1910. Dorcas and John were recorded on the 1900 census in Limestone Co., TX; John was a 65-year old widower living with nephew Alonzo Faulkinberry in Cooke Co., TX in 1910.
+14. Charles Graves, b. 14 July 1841, m. Elizabeth Jane Mitchell, 8 Oct. 1865, d. before 3 June 1898.
+15. Cunningham H. Graves, b. 2 Aug. 1843, m(1) Margaret Levina Hall, 10 Sept. 1865, m(2) Lucinda Ann (Booth) Powers, 24 Dec. 1892 (or 1893), d. 6 Dec. 1905.
+16. Martha Alabama Graves, b.c. 1850, m. Zachariah Faulkinberry, 8 Aug. 1867, d. 1885.
Harriet Esther (“Hetty”) Graves (3) was born about 1817 in TN, and died after 1880, probably in TN. She married Thomas Allison, son of Cunningham Allison and Nancy Lankford on 17 Oct. 1835 in Blount Co., AL. Jesse Graves gave oath that Hetty was 18. Thomas was born about 1812 in Franklin Co., GA, and died after 1850. This family was recorded on the 1850 census in Blount Co., AL; their children were born in AL. ‘Hester’ was recorded on the 1870 and 1880 censuses in Lincoln Co., TN. Correspondence between Tempy Vaughn, #171, and R‑1 in 1987, revealed the following story. William Cunningham Allison and his family went to Lincoln Co., TN during the Civil War, and Thomas and Hetty visited them. Thomas supposedly returned to AL, and Hetty died in TN and was buried in an unmarked grave in Boot Hill Cem. (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Allison
+17. William Cunningham Allison, b. Oct. 1835, m. Tempy Jane Moore, 19 Aug. 1859, d. 24 Sept. 1922.
18. Mary E. Allison, b.c. 1838, d. after 1860. Lived with Jas. Gunter family in 1860.
19. Louisa Allison, b.c. 1839. d. after 1870. Lived with her mother in 1870.
20. Leticia Allison, b.c. 1840, probably never married, d. after 1880. Lived with George Palmer family in 1860. Lived with her mother in 1870 and 1880.
+21. Rufus A. Allison, b. 6 May 1847, m(1) Sarah Elizabeth Gunter, 5 Feb. 1865, m(2) Margaret Janice Anderson, c. 1903, d. 11 Nov. 1926.
22. Judith Allison, b.c. Oct. 1850, d. before 1860. Listed as 1/12 on 8 Nov. 1850.
23. Rachel C. Allison, b.c. 1859 (AL), d. after 1880. Lived with her mother in 1870 and 1880.
John C. Graves (5) was born 15 June 1818 in TN, and died 26 Feb. 1899 in Cullman Co., AL. He married Mary Graves on 12 Feb. 1838 in Blount Co., AL (p. 336). She was born 21 July 1820 in Blount Co., AL, and died 21 April 1889 in Cullman Co., AL. They were both buried in Valley Springs Cem., Good Hope, Cullman Co., AL Their marriage license states that he was a son of Thomas Graves. She was a daughter of Doctor ("Doc") Graves (genealogy 99) and Sally Allred, and both Thomas and Doc signed the marriage certificate.
John Graves enlisted in the Alabama Volunteer Cavalry, Stewart's Battalion, Capt. Jim Hamilton, and was discharged April 1864 in Madison Co., AL. He was a farmer. The following children, all born in AL, were shown on the 1850 and 1860 censuses in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑200, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+24. Hasten W. Graves, b. 14 March 1840, m. Susan Emoline Bailey, 3 March 1859, d. 28 Jan. 1898.
25. Charlotte Graves, b.c. 1841, m(1) Jacob Knight, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Owens. Jacob was b. 22 Feb. 1849, and d. 14 July 1906. “Scharlotte’ Owen and Jacob Knight were both bur. Valley Springs Cem. ‘Scharlotte’s’ tombstone lists only her age, 83 years.
+26. Margaret M. Graves, b. 17 Dec. 1844, m. James A. Lowery, 6 Dec. 1860, d. 18 Jan. 1889.
+27. Dicey Graves, b. 16 March 1847, m. Enoch Patrick Alldredge, 13 Feb. 1870, d. 1 June 1893.
+28. Rowan Obediah Graves, b.c. 1849, m. Margaret F. Sandlin, d. 3 Oct. 1894.
+29. Arminda R. Graves, b. 31 Aug. 1856, m. Absalom B. White, 17 Oct. 1875, d. 24 Jan. 1938.
Charles Henry Graves (6) was born about 1821 in TN, died 5 Nov. 1863 (or 1862) of congestive fever (or yellow fever) in Ross Hospital, Mobile, AL, and was buried in an unmarked grave in Magnolia Cem., Confederate Rest. He served in the Civil War. His family continued to live in Blount Co., AL. He was a farmer, and it is said that he served as a gunsmith during the war, and that his family records were destroyed by the Northern soldiers.
He married Mary Ann Allison, daughter of Cunningham Allison and Nancy Lankford, and sister of Sarah Allison who married Charles' brother Jesse, on 4 Aug. 1842 in Blount Co., AL. She was born in Feb. 1820 in GA, died in 1901 of pneumonia in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Union Grove Cem., Blount Co., near Union Grove Church on Route 160 between Nector and Hayden, AL in an unmarked grave. The following children, all born in AL, were listed in the 1860 census for Blount Co., AL. Mary was recorded on the 1870, 1880 and 1900 censuses in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑200, R‑201)
Children - Graves
30. Martin Hasten (or Hasting) Graves, b.c. 1843, never married, d. 20 Sept. 1863 (killed at the Battle of Chickamauga in the Civil War).
+31. Thomas Graves, b. 15 Feb. 1845, m. Eliza Jane Whaley, 16 Jan. 1876, d. 8 July 1916.
32. Nancy E. Graves, b.c. 1847, never married, d.c. 1896. Bur. Union Grove Cem. in an unmarked grave. Died of Bright’s disease.
+33. William Graves, b. 3 Dec. 1849, m. Mary Carolina (or Caroline) McAnnally, 30 Nov. 1876, d. 24 June 1934.
34. Martha Graves, b. May 1853, never married, d.c. 1918 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Union Grove Cem. in an unmarked grave.
35. Mary ("Polly") Graves, b. Jan. 1855, never married, d. 14 Dec. 1946 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Bangor Cem. (Blount Co., AL).
William Graves (7) was born about 1823 in Knox Co., TN, and died 25 June 1862 at Camp Douglas, IL. He was a prisoner of war and died of pneumonia and wounds. He was buried at Confederate Mound, Oakwood Cem., Chicago, IL. He married Dicy (or Dicey) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1848, probably in Blount Co., AL. Her surname may have been Hall. According to the 1850 census of Blount Co., AL, she was born about 1830 in AL. She died 4 Dec. 1904 in Blount Co., AL, and was probably buried at Siloam Church Cem. She was Primitive Baptist and joined Siloam Baptist Church, Royal, AL, in 1898.
It is tradition that William is a son of Thomas Graves. William was a farmer and a carpenter. According to his Civil War records, William was 6 ft., 3 inches tall, fair complexion, blue eyes, dark hair. He was enlisted by Capt. J. C. Skinner at Blountsville, AL on 12 Aug. 1861 to serve for 3 years. He was in the Battle of Shiloh, where he was taken prisoner. (R‑1, R‑200)
Children - Graves
36. Aaron Graves, b.c. 1849 (AL), probably d. before 1860 (not listed in the 1860 census).
37. Margaret Melvina Graves, b. Dec. 1851 (AL), m. Enoch Patrick Alldredge, 13 Feb. 1894 (Blount Co., AL), d. after 1900. He first married her cousin, Dicey Graves, #27. Enoch, son of John Pace Alldredge and Mary Scott, was b. 11 July 1849, d. 27 Oct. 1897 (both in Blount Co., AL).
+38. Randolph Graves, b. May 1854, m. Louisa Archer, 27 Dec. 1874, d. 20 Feb. 1908.
Elizabeth Graves (8) was born about 1827 in TN, and died before 14 Dec. 1858 in Blount Springs, Blount Co., AL. She married Cunningham Allison, son of Cunningham Allison and Nancy Lankford, after 8 Nov. 1850 when she was recorded on the 1850 census living with her parents. Cunningham was born about 1827 in Blount Co., AL, and died 18 Aug. 1915 in Limestone Co., AL. He married second Catherine Holt, daughter of Kendell Lawson (“Dick”) Holt and Prudence Rutherford, on 14 Dec. 1858 in Blount Co., AL. She was born about 1840 in Blount Co., AL, and died after 1860. Cunningham and Catherine, along with Elizabeth’s children, were recorded on the 1860 census in Blount Co., AL. Cunningham and wife ‘E. M.’ were recorded on the 1870 census in Marshall Co., TN; Tom and Hettie lived with them. Cunningham married Rebecca Tucker on 15 July 1873 in Marshall Co., TN. In 1880, Cunningham and Rebecca lived in Giles Co., TN; daughter ‘Hester’, 25, lived with them. In 1900, Cunningham and daughter ‘Hattie’ Word were recorded on the census in Limestone Co., AL. He married third (or fifth) Hepsy Ann Vinson, daughter of James Vinson and Delana ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 18 Oct. 1901. She was born in July 1854 in AL, and died in April 1931 in Limestone Co., AL. In 1900, she was single living with her sister Martha Seamans in Limestone Co., AL. Cunningham and Hepsy were recorded on the 1910 census in Gilbertsboro, Limestone Co., AL; his name was recorded as ‘Hennigin’ Alison. In 1920, Hepsy was a 67-year old widow living with her sister Martha in Limestone Co., AL. In 1930, Hepsy stated that she was a widow and had married at age 48; she still resided with her sister Martha in Limestone Co., AL. (R‑4)
Children - Allison
39. Thomas Allison, b.c. 1851, d. after 1870.
40. Hettie Allison b.c. 1853, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Word, 1880-1900, d. after 1900. One child.
Randolph M. Graves (9) was born about 1830 in TN, and died 24 March 1896 in Lawrence Co., AL. He was a carpenter. He married Elizabeth A. Latham, daughter of Charles Latham and Sarah Nancy King, on 23 June 1853 in Blount Co., AL. She was born about 1839 in AL. Randolph's widow, E. A. Graves, applied for a Civil War pension on 21 May 1900.
Randolph enlisted in the C.S.A., Co. C, 48th Ala. Inf., 17 April 1862, as a private under Capt. Alldredge. He was promoted through the ranks to 2nd Lt., 1st Lt., and made Captain when Capt. Alldredge resigned. He was wounded at Chickamauga on 20 Sept. 1863. He served in Laws Brigade, Field Division, Longstreet's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.
The children listed below, born in AL, were in the 1860 census for Blount Co., AL, and in the 1870 and 1880 censuses for Lawrence Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑3, R‑4, R‑200)
Children - Graves
41. Judith (“Judy”) Graves, b.c. 1856 (Blount Co., AL), m. J. F. Terrell, 13 Oct. 1880 (Lawrence Co., AL).
42. Jane Graves, b.c. 1859 (Blount Co., AL).
43. Virginia Graves, b.c. 1861.
44. Mary M. Graves, b.c. 1863, m. William R. Craft, 23 Dec. 1883 (Lawrence Co., AL).
45. Cynthia Graves, b.c. 1865, m. James B. Holmes, 20 Feb. 1887 (Lawrence Co., AL).
46. Sylvania (“Vane”) Graves, b.c. 1868, m. Noah P. Craft, 3 Nov. 1890 (Lawrence Co., AL). No children. He was b. 9 Aug. 1864 and d. 3 Aug. 1927. They were both buried in Houston Cem., Lawrence Co., AL. They have a double headstone and Sylvania’s grave is badly sunken. There was never a death date added for Sylvania on the marker. Clara Brumley Graves (William Anderson Graves’ daughter-in-law) remembers her death. She says it had been raining real bad and the wagon that was carrying “Vane’s” casket got stuck crossing the field getting to the cemetery but finally made it. Everyone stayed back on the road while she was buried.
+47. William Anderson Graves, b.c. 1870, m(1) Ada Townson, m(2) Mary Lee Townson, 2 Jan. 1904, d. 11 Nov. 1916.
CHILDREN OF JESSE GRAVES (2) AND SARAH ALLISON
Charles Graves (14) was born 14 July 1841 in Blount Co., AL, and died before 3 June 1898. He married Elizabeth (“Eliza”) Jane Mitchell, daughter of William Mitchell and Ellen ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 8 Oct. 1865 in Blount Co., AL. She was born about 1842 in AL. He served in Co. A, 48th Alabama Inf. Regt. She was born about 1843 in Blount Co., AL. This family was in the 1880 census for Summit, Blount Co., AL, page 370. All their children were born in AL. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+48. Leonard Pinkney Graves, b. 11 Oct. 1867, m. Harriet C. Sivley, 16 Aug. 1888, d. 14 May 1915.
49. Jenetta (or Genetta) C. Graves, b.c. 1870, m. J. A. Haley, 15 Sept. 1889 (Blount Co., AL).
50. Sarah M. Graves, b.c. 1873.
51. Dorcas C. Graves, b.c. 1875.
+52. William E. Graves, b. Feb. 1878, m. Effie Lucy Tanner, 10 Dec. 1889.
Cunningham H. Graves (15) was born 2 Aug. 1843 and died 6 Dec. 1905, both in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Holly Pond Cem., Cullman Co., AL. He first married Margaret Levina Hall, daughter of Ransom Riley Hall and Lydia Emeline Robards, on 10 Sept. 1865 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 5 Feb. 1843 in NC (or GA), died 18 March 1892 in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Blue Ridge Cem., Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1880 census in Blount Co., AL. He married second Lucinda Ann (Booth) Powers, daughter of Joseph Booth and Martha Hicks, on 24 Dec. 1892 (or 1893) in Cullman Co., AL. She was born 13 Oct. 1840 in Troup Co., GA, and died 29 Dec. 1924 in Blountsville, Blount Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Graves, by Margaret Hall
53. Mary E. J. Graves, b. 4 June 1866, m. George M. Hudson, 26 Jan. 1889. He was b.c. 1860 (Blount Co., AL).
54. Lydia D. Graves, b. 7 July 1867, d. 4 July 1890. Bur. Blue Ridge Cem.
55. Charles Z. Graves, b. 29 Dec. 1868, d. 7 March 1891. Bur. Blue Ridge Cem.
+56. Walter Ransom Graves, b. 6 March 1870, m. Louise Missouri Owens, 24 July 1890, d. 10 Feb. 1950.
57. Melissa E. Graves, b. 4 Dec. 1871, m. Allen G. Screws, 10 Aug. 1890 (Blount Co., AL). He was b.c. 1870 (Blount Co., AL). Six children.
58. Sarah Ann Graves, b. 13 Sept. 1874, m. William W. Power, 24 Dec. 1891 (Blount Co., AL), d. 19 June 1941 (Jefferson Co., AL). He was b. 17 Sept. 1868 and d. 6 April 1950 (both in Blount Co., AL).
59. Willie Ida Graves, b. 31 May 1876, m. Charles Owen Whatley, d. 5 July 1943 (Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL).
60. Patrick Henry Graves, b. 5 March 1878, d. 8 Sept. 1878. Bur. Sivley Cem. (Blount Co., AL).
61. Jesse Graves, b. 22 Sept. 1880.
62. Louisa Addington Graves, b. 8 June 1883.
63. George Freeman Graves, b. 25 Feb. 1886.
Martha Alabama Graves (16) was born about 1850 in Blount Co., AL, and died in 1885 in AL. She married Zachariah Faulkinberry, son of Jacob B. (“Jack”) Faulkinberry and Rebecca Jane Robertson, on 8 Aug. 1867 in Marshall Co., TN. He was born 18 May 1846 in Lancaster Co., SC, died 18 May 1892 in Lincoln Co., TN, and was buried in Blanche Cem., Lincoln Co., TN. This family was recorded on the 1870 and 1880 censuses in Blount Co., AL. Martha’s sister Dorcas and her second husband John Mitchell raised Martha’s three youngest children, Carrie, Lonnie, and Bill.
Zachariah married second Sue Whitt on 23 Oct. 1887 in Lincoln Co., TN. She was born about 1865 in TN, and died in Lincoln Co., TN. (R‑1, R‑4)
Children - Faulkinberry
64. Mary Etta Faulkinberry, b. 5 Aug. 1868 (Marshall Co., TN), m. William Arthur Henry Whitt, 1888, d. 9 May 1954 (TX).
65. Columbus (“Gim”) Cunningham Faulkinberry, b. 4 Dec. 1870 (Blount Co., AL), m. Elizabeth (“Betty”) Pool, 1891, d. 27 Sept. 1940 (OK).
66. John Leonard Faulkinberry, b. 22 Nov. 1873 (Clifton, Marshall Co., TN), m. Minnie Mae Faulkinberry, about 1894, d. 1 Nov. 1949 (Harrison Co., TX). She was b.c. 1879 (Lincoln Co., TN), daughter of Christopher Columbus Faulkinberry and Sarah Ellen Caple. Zachariah and Christopher were brothers.
67. Charles L. Faulkinberry, b. 5 Dec. 1875 (Blount Co., AL), m. Edith Marie Scott, 1910, d. 18 Jan. 1968 (TX).
+68. Carrie Annis (or Alice) Faulkinberry, b. Feb. 1880, m. William Jacob Freeman, 1895, d. 14 Jan. 1907.
69. Alonzo (“Lonnie”) Zachariah Faulkinberry, b. 27 June 1883 (Blount Co., AL), m. Ozema May Knox, 1906, d. 28 March 1976.
70. William J. (“Bill”) Faulkinberry, b. 30 March 1885 (Blount Co., AL), m. Mary E. Brown, 1912, d. Dec. 1993.
CHILDREN OF HARRIET E. GRAVES (3) AND THOMAS ALLISON
William Cunningham Allison (17) was born in Oct. 1835 in AL, and died 24 Sept. 1922 in Cullman Co., AL. He married Tempy Jane Moore, daughter of M. M. Moore and Tempy ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 18 Aug. 1859 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 13 Sept. 1842 in GA, and died in April 1932 in Cullman Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1880 census in Lincoln Co., TN, the 1900 census in Madison Co., AL, and the 1910 and 1920 censuses in Cullman Co., AL. In 1910, Tempy stated that ten of her fourteen children were living. In 1920, William and Tempie lived with their daughter Frances Coleman; Tempy was recorded on the 1930 census in Cullman Co., AL still with daughter Francis [sic]. The children’s place of birth was listed on the 1880 census as AL. In 1900, only Nancy was shown as born in AL; the rest were listed as born in TN. (R‑4)
Children - Allison
71. Nancy L. Allison, b. Sept. 1862.
72. Cynthia A. Allison, b.c. 1864.
73. William Thomas Allison, b. March 1866.
74. Elizabeth (‘Liza’) Allison, b.c. 1867.
75. Frances Allison, b.c. 1870, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Coleman, d. after 1930.
76. Martha Allison, b.c. 1872.
77. Manerva Allison, b.c. 1875.
78. Allice Allison, b.c. 1879.
79. Azalle Allison, b. July 1880.
80. Bennie Allison, b. April 1883.
+81. Mary Myrtle Allison, b. 25 Oct. 1888, m. Ponder Cleveland Vaughn, 17 Dec. 1908, d. 17 Oct. 1961.
Rufus A. Allison (21) was born 6 May 1847 in AL, and died 11 Nov. 1926 in Brooksville, Blount Co., AL. He first married Sarah Elizabeth Gunter, daughter of Stephen Gunter and Jane Mitchell, on 5 Feb. 1865 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 5 July 1845 and died 7 May 1901, both in Brooksville, AL. This family was recorded on the 1870, 1880 and 1900 censuses in Blount Co., AL. He married second Margaret Janice Anderson about 1903. She was born 29 May 1876 in AL, and died 9 Jan. 1935 in Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1910 and-1920 censuses in Blount Co., AL. All the children were born in AL. In 1930, Margaret was recorded as a 52-year old widow still residing in Blount Co., AL. Rufus, Sarah, and Margaret were all buried in Gibbs Chapel Cem., Brooksville, AL. (R‑4, R‑201)
Children - Allison, by Sarah Gunter
82. Mary E. Allison, b. 14 Nov. 1865, m. William David Beasley, 22 Jan. 1885, d. 24 May 1916 (all in Blount Co., AL). He was b. 20 May 1862, son of William M. Beasley and Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, and d. 7 Aug. 1905 (both in Blount Co., AL).
+83. William A. Allison, b. Nov. 1867 (or 8 Nov. 1870), m(1) J. Malissa Wilson, 25 Nov. 1886, m(2) Jennie Ruth Clay, c. 1908, d. 10 Jan. 1939.
84. Ann Allison, b.c. 1870.
85. John Allison, b.c. 1874.
86. Margaret L. Allison, b.c. 1872.
+87. Columbus Allison, b. 12 Feb. 1878, m. Martha E. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1898, d. 17 Jan. 1915.
88. James Thomas Allison, b. Aug. 1879, m. Effie Pearl Foster, d. 1961. She was b. 1886, daughter of Josiah Foster and Agnes Elizabeth Elkins, and d. 1933.
89. Martha Josie Allison, b. 4 July 1882, d. 7 July 1967. Bur. Gibbs Chapel Cem.
90. Nancy L. Allison, b. Dec. 1884. Called Lettie in 1910.
91. Ginnie E. Allison, b. Aug. 1887.
Children - Allison, by Margaret Anderson
92. Leander Allison, b.c. 1908.
93. Ludie Allison, b.c. 1909.
94. Josephine Allison, b.c. 1910.
95. Rufus Huston Allison, b. 16 June 1914, m. Essie Mae Foster, d. 22 Dec. 2000 (Blount Co., AL). She was b. 19 Sept. 1917, dau. of John H. Foster and Alice Moultrie, d. 26 Aug. 2000. Both bur. Gibbs Chapel Cem.
CHILDREN OF JOHN C. GRAVES (5) AND MARY GRAVES
Hasten W. Graves (24) was born 14 March 1840 in Blount Co., AL, and died 28 Jan. 1898 in Deposit, Madison Co., AL. He married Susan (or Susanne) Emoline Bailey, daughter of Zac Bailey and Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 3 March (or 2 May) 1859 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 4 Oct. 1840 in Marshall Co., AL, and died 22 Feb. 1922 in Madison Co., AL. They were both buried in Lotus Grove Cem., Madison Co., AL, located on Winchester Rd. and County Lake Rd.
His will was recorded in Will Book 3, p. 11, Madison Co., AL, 31 March 1898. It mentions wife Susan E. Graves, daughter Mattie J. Burdine, wife of James Burdine, and son Columbus C. Graves. “To wife 2 houses on Winchester Rd., place formerly known as Hays Store, house and lot in Deposit where I now live, 1/3 interest in store, house and lot in Deposit, 1/2 of goods in mercantile business known as Graves and Burdine. At her death to Columbus C. Graves, except 1/2 interest in mercantile business to daughter Mattie J. Graves, wife of James M. Burdine.” (R‑1)
Children - Graves
96. Alvan O. Graves, b. 8 Feb. 1860 (Blount Co., AL), d. 7 March 1887. Bur. Bayless Cem., Madison Co., AL. He was a Southern Railroad employee at the time of his death. He was standing on a box car waving to someone just as the moving train went under a bridge which knocked him off the car to his death.
+97. Columbus Clinton Graves, b. 14 March 1862, m. Ada L. Rodgers, d. 21 July 1947.
+98. Mattie J. Graves, b. April 1868, m. James M. Burdine, Jr., c. 1886, d. 5 May 1908.
Margaret M. Graves (26) was born 17 Dec. 1844 in Blount Co., AL, died 18 Jan. 1889 in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Valley Springs Cem., Good Hope, Cullman Co., AL. She married James A. Lowery on 6 Dec. 1860 in Blount Co., AL. (p. 367). The marriage record reads “Solemized [sic] the rites of Materimony [sic] between James A. Lowery and Margaret Graves at my residence December 6, 1860. Signed J. P. Allredge.” James was born 31 Oct. 1839 in Brooksville, Blount Co., AL, died 23 (or 20) Sept. 1911 in Cullman Co., AL, and was also buried in Valley Springs Cem. He served in Co. K, 19th Alabama Inf., during the Civil War. This family was recorded in the 1880 census in Garrison Point Beat No. 26, Blount Co., AL. Their children were born in AL, all in Blount Co., with the possible exceptions of Rumus and Vianne. (R‑1)
Children - Lowery
99. Rumus (or Silas) A. Lowery, b. 25 Sept. 1861, m. Mary E. Carns, 24 March 1878 (Blount Co., AL, p. 45), d. 3 Feb. 1883.
100. Mary Matilda Lowery, b. 25 Sept. 1863, m. William J. Conant, 11 May 1880 (Blount Co., AL, p. 227), d. 6 Jan. 1955.
101. William R. Lowery, b. 16 Aug. 1865, d. 18 Jan. 1915.
102. John B. Lowery, b. 5 Feb. 1867, m. Josie Griffin, 17 Feb. 1907 (Blount Co., AL), d. 23 April 1923.
103. Nathaniel Legrett Lowery, b. 26 Sept. 1868, d. 3 Feb. 1952.
104. David Harvel Lowery, b. 7 March 1870, m. Dollie Morrow, 19 Oct. 1902 (Cullman Co., AL), d. 14 June 1957.
105. Enoch Quitman Lowery, b. 11 Dec. 1872, m. Sarah E. Franklin, d. 8 July 1915.
106. Hasten F. Lowery, b. 3 May 1874, d. 2 Nov. 1907 (prob. Cullman Co., AL). Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
107. Travis Willoby Lowery, b. 20 Dec. 1875, d. 1909 (Cullman Co., AL). Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
108. Dicey Ann Lowery, b. 12 Jan. 1878, m. Erasmus T. Knight, 24 Dec. 1893 (Cullman Co., AL). He was b. in 1875 and d. 17 Jan. 1955.
109. Vianne Enoch Lowery, b. 1879, d. July 1916 (TX).
110. Daniel Patterson Lowery, b. 12 July 1882, m. Mary York, 7 Nov. 1909 (Cullman Co., AL).
111. Rassie Arthur Lowery, b. 11 March 1885, d. 8 Feb. 1953.
Dicey (or Dicie) Graves (27) was born 16 March 1847 in Blount Co., AL, died 1 June 1893 in Blount Co., and was buried in Salem Cem., Blount Co., AL. She married Enoch Patrick Alldredge, son of John P. Alldredge and Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 13 Feb. 1870 in Blount Co., AL. Enoch was born 11 July 1849, died 10 Oct. 1897, and was also buried in Salem Cem., all in Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1880 census in Summit, Blount Co., AL. Their children were all born in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Alldredge
+112. Kansas Ameda Alldredge, b. 7 March 1871, m. Clinton H. Waid, 31 March 1887, d. 21 July 1892.
+113. Edward Gustavus Alldredge, b. 12 Dec. 1872, m. Mary Frances Martin, 12 Dec. 1893, d. 27 Jan. 1923.
+114. John Haston Alldredge, b. 21 July 1876, m. Mattie Ida Cox, 31 July 1897, d. 1 April 1965.
115. Mary G. D. Alldredge, b. 10 June 1880, d. 27 Sept. 1880. Bur. Salem Cem.
Rowan Graves (28) was born about 1849 in Blount Co., AL, died 3 Oct. 1894 of typhoid fever in Cullman Co., AL, and was buried in City Cem., Cullman Co., AL. He married Margaret F. Sandlin. She was born in Nov. 1853 in AL, died 13 Aug. 1903 in San Antonio, TX, and was buried in Protestant Cem., Cullman Co., AL. Rowan was the owner of the Cullman Hotel and Livery Stable, and Margaret worked as the hotel manager. Son Ran is probably the Hasten Graves, age 4, from the 1880 census. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+116. Ran Graves, b. 20 Nov. 1875, m. Ernestine A. Monier, c. 1902, d. after 1930.
117. John D. Graves, b.c. 1878, d. 1900-1903. Bur. Cullman City Cem. Worked in a hotel and as a mail carrier.
118. Lulu Graves, b. Feb. 1880, d. 3 Oct. 1903. Bur. Cullman City Cem. Worked in a hotel.
119. Susie Graves, b. 24 Feb. 1885, m. William H. Clark, 20 (or 22) Feb. 1909, d. 9 Jan. 1974. He was b. 14 Oct. 1879, d. 12 Feb. 1942. Both bur. Sacred Heart Cem. (Cullman, AL). She was the first telephone operator in Cullman.
+120. George Shelton Graves, b. 22 June 1892, m. Bobbie Ina Negler, c. 1915, d. 20 Sept. 1965.
Arminda R. Graves (29) was born 31 Aug. 1856 in Blount Co., Al, died 24 Jan. 1938 in Cullman Co., AL, and was buried in Valley Springs Cem., Cullman Co., AL. She married Absalom B. White, son of Cissero F. White and Margaret ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 17 Oct. 1875 in Blount Co., AL. He was born 6 April 1857 in AL, died 1 April 1940 in Cullman Co., AL, and was also buried in Valley Springs Cem. Their children were born in Cullman Co., AL. (R‑1, R‑201)
Children - White
121. John W. White, b. 31 Oct. 1876, d. 5 Nov. 1957. Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
122. Sarah M. White, b. 1877.
123. Hasten White, b. 10 Nov. 1880, d. 10 Oct. 1881 (Cullman Co., AL). Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
124. Rowan White, b. 8 May 1886, d. 20 Oct. 1925. Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
125. Susie White, b. 28 March 1888, d. 10 Sept. 1889 (Cullman Co., AL). Bur. Valley Springs Cem.
126. Lydia White, b. 1894.
127. Conia White, b. 1894.
128. Gaston White, b. 1897.
129. Florence White, b. 1900 (GA).
CHILDREN OF CHARLES H. GRAVES (6) AND MARY ANN ALLISON
Thomas Graves (31) was born 15 Feb. 1845 in Blount Co., AL, died 8 July 1916 in Blount Co., AL, and was buried in Bangor Cem., Blount Co., AL. He was a farmer and cattle raiser, and owned and operated two farms in Blount Co., AL. He married Eliza Jane Whaley on 16 Jan. 1876 in Blount Co., AL. She was born 31 July 1856, died 23 Feb. 1950, and was also buried in Bangor Cem. This family was recorded on the 1900 and 1910 censuses in Blount Co., AL; their children were born in AL.
His picture is shown here. (R‑1, R‑200, R‑201)
Children - Graves
130. Charles Clinton Graves, b. 23 Nov. 1876 (Blount Co., AL), d. 4 (or 14) Jan. 1884 (Blount Co., AL). Bur. Bangor Cem.
+131. Mary Della Graves, b. 13 June 1878, m(1) Peter Rogers (or Rodgers), m(2) Joe Milton McAnnally, d. 9 Nov. 1968.
+132. Dessie Lauretta Graves, b. March 1880, m. Joseph Thomas Rogers, c. 1904, d. 1965.
133. Ruth Ann Graves, b. 25 March 1882, never married, d. 22 May 1967. Bur. Bangor Cem.
+134. Thomas Grover Graves, b. 19 Dec. 1884, m. Mae Arwood, d. 28 Oct. 1976.
+135. Dowman Fitzhugh Graves, b. 31 Dec. 1886, m. Annie Ruth Lowery, d. 30 Sept. 1956.
+136. Grace Jane Graves, b. 13 March 1889, m. William Hudson Musgrove, 1909, d. Aug. 1981.
+137. William Frederick Graves, b. 22 Jan. 1892, m. Carrie Leslie Sanders, d. April 1978.
+138. John Ralph Graves, b. 23 Aug. 1894, m. Mary Hickman, c. 1928, d. 3 Sept. 1974.
William Graves (33) was born 3 Dec. 1849 and died 24 June 1934, both in Blount Co., AL. He married Mary Caroline (or Carolina) McAnnally, called Caroline, on 30 Nov. 1876 in Blount Co. The marriage license states that they were married at the home of her father. She was born 17 Sept. 1855 and died 17 May 1939, both in Blount Co. Her parents were William Henderson McAnnally, born 1825, SC, and Elizabeth Swindel, born 1825, AL. They were both buried in Guinn’s Cove Cem., Blount Co., AL. He was a farmer and a surveyor in Blount Co. They were both Baptists. Their children were born in Blount Co., AL.
Mary Caroline was a jolly lady of average height, fair complexion, beautiful brown eyes with a twinkle, and she probably had red hair in her youth. She wore blue and brown dresses which she made, and converted the scraps into quilts for her family. She was content with living on their farm and expressed no desire to go elsewhere, unlike the Graves family members who had itchy feet.
William was 11 years old at the beginning of the War between the States. His oldest brother, Hasten, enlisted in Co. K, 19th AL Infantry, on Aug. 12, 1861, and his father enlisted in Co. F, 29th AL Infantry, in Dec. 1861. His father was furloughed home Feb. 28th until June 30th, 1862 to help care for the sick during a flu epidemic. He recalled sadly that was the last time he saw his father, who died of yellow fever in Ross Hospital, Mobile, Alabama, Nov. 5, 1863. This sad news came less than three months after word had been received that Hasten had died in battle at Chickamauga Sept. 20, 1863.
With the help of William, his brother Thomas and sisters Nancy, Martha and Mary ("Polly"), all minors, Mary Ann managed the family farm through the difficult war years and post-war years. Her name is one of fifty owners or managers of farms whose names appeared on the 1870 Agricultural Schedule of Township 12, Range 2 West for Blount Co.
The hardships of the war did not stop William from acquiring an education and indulging in his hobby of reading and becoming an accomplished fiddler. He recalled that Blount Springs had become a popular resort area around 1868. New people came by train to drink and bathe in the mineral waters.
He had eagerly accepted a job as surveyor, this being a trade of many of his forefathers, to help build the railroad. His goal was to become an engineer on the trains.
On Nov. 30, 1876, he married Mary Carolina McAnnally, daughter of William Henderson McAnnally and Elizabeth Swindle. Things changed for William. His new bride did not like his working away from home a good share of the time, so he resigned his job with the railroad, regretfully, and settled on a farm located 2 miles northeast of Bangor and 2 miles east of Garden City. Sometimes when he sat quietly, he must have dreamed about what it would have been like had he pursued his dream to be an engineer.
He lived 58 years in the house which he built. It had a big front porch and a dog trot, typical of the area and the time. During those years, neighbors, friends and relatives were welcomed to his home; among them were Gov. Rufus Cobb, Whaleys, McAnnallys, Shavers, Musgroves, Greens, Coxs, Prices, Johnsons, Livingstons, Joneses, Powells and many others.
Son Gustaves remained unmarried and lived with his parents and, like his father, he did a lot of reading and sometimes played the banjo.
The Bangor News for June 28, 1934, said: "On last Sunday afternoon at 5 p.m. the death angel came and took away our friend and neighbor, Mr. William Graves. He will be greatly missed by his friends and loved ones." (R‑1, R‑200, R‑201)
Children - Graves
+139. John Gamble Graves, b. 19 Oct. 1877, m. Jennie Julian, 1912, d. 17 Nov. 1941.
+140. William Paul Graves, b. 21 Feb. 1879, m. Martha Jane Musgrove, 1907, d. 28 Dec. 1933.
+141. Charles Henry Graves, b. 2 Oct. 1881, m. Alice Louella Shaver, 6 July 1906, d. 4 April 1970.
+142. Josephine Ida Graves, b. 24 May 1884, m. John Franklin Price, 1906, d. 7 Feb. 1962.
143. Gustavus Graves, b. 14 Nov. 1888, never married, d. 4 April 1949 (Tuscaloosa Co., AL). Bur. Guinn’s Cove Cem. (Blount Co., AL). He lived with his parents.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVES (7) AND DICEY ‑‑‑‑‑‑
Randolph Graves (38) was born in May 1854 in Blount Co., AL, and died 20 Feb. 1908 in Blount Co., AL. He married Louisa Archer on 27 Dec. 1874 in Blount Co., AL. She was born in Feb. 1855 and died 23 Sept. 1931, both in Blount Co., AL. This family was recorded on the 1900 census in Blount Co., AL. Living with them were his mother Dicey and widowed sister Melvina. Louisa and her daughter were recorded on the 1910-1930 censuses in Blount Co., AL. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
144. Elender Graves, b. 1 Jan. 1887.
CHILDREN OF RANDOLPH GRAVES (9) AND ELIZABETH A. LATHAM
William Anderson Graves (47) was born about 1870 in AL, died 11 Nov. 1916 in Lawrence Co., AL, and was buried in Houston Cem., Lawrence Co., AL. His grave has a small homemade cement marker that is now broken in half. He first married Ada Townson. She died in childbirth, and he married second her sister Mary Lee Townson on 2 Jan. 1904 in Lawrence Co., AL. Mary Lee Townson and her sister Ada were orphaned by their father off a houseboat and taken in by their aunt Judith Graves Terrell, who lived on the Tennessee River at Lock A, near Courtland, AL. William and Mary were recorded on the 1910 census in Mt. Home, Lawrence Co., AL. At that time they indicated they had been married for 8 years, and Mary had had three children. Mary was born about 1886 in AL, and died after 1930. Mary married second Jessie Davis. Graves children Richard, age 15, Dennis, 12, Ida, 9, Eddy, 6, and Annison [sic] 3 1/12 were listed with the Davis family on the 1920 census in Leighton, Colbert Co., AL, all born in AL. Only Ed, 18 and Anderson Graves, 13, were recorded on the 1930 census in Leighton with the Davis family. Mary and Jessie were buried in Shaw Cem., Colbert Co., AL. (R‑3)
Children - Graves, by Mary Townson
145. William Richard Graves, b.c. 1905.
146. Randolf M. Graves, b.c. 1908. Is this the same person as Dennis on the 1920 census?
147. Ada (or Ida) Graves, b.c. Jan. 1910.
148. Ed Graves, b.c. 1914.
+149. William Anderson Graves, b. 6 Nov. 1916, m. Clara A. Brumley, d. Sept. 1978.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page