Rev. 29 Dec. 1993, Gen. 295
DESCENDANTS OF MARINE JOHN GRAVES AND ELSIE JOHNSON
OF ENGLAND, NY & ONTARIO, CANADA
Marine John Graves (1) was born in 1850 in England and migrated to the U.S. to live, according to family legend. He married an Indian woman named Elsie Johnson in the Rochester, NY area. They had three children born in the U.S., and then moved to Ontario, Canada. They later returned to live in NY state, possibly in Rochester, Oswego, or Syracuse.
He was called Marine Graves on the marriage registration of his son Albert, and John Graves on Albert's death certificate. It is not known whether the name John was an error, or whether it was actually his middle name. Albert's death certificate also gave his father's birthplace as Ontario; since the informant was Albert's wife, it is possible she didn't know his real birthplace. Albert's death certificate also gave his mother's birthplace as Ontario. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+2. Albert James Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1876, m. Mary Eliza Irwin, 20 Oct. 1903, d. 19 Feb. 1927.
3. Mabel Graves
4. Edward Graves
CHILDREN OF MARINE J. GRAVES (1) AND ELSIE JOHNSON
Albert James Graves (2) was born 15 Oct. 1875 in Toronto, Ontario, and died 19 Feb. 1927 in Belleville General Hospital, Belleville, Ontario. He was buried 22 Feb. 1927 in Belleville Cem., section R, and Belleville Burial Co. handled the arrangements.
Albert married Mary Eliza Irwin, daughter of Thomas William Irwin and Annie Jane Kiser, on 20 Oct. 1903 at St. Thomas Church, Hastings Co., Ontario, by Rev. George Ross Beamish, Rector of Belleville. Albert was a laborer and an Anglican, and she was Methodist. She was born 2 Oct. 1883 in Belleville, Ontario, died 23 Sept. 1951, and was also buried in Belleville Cem., section R. Their marriage was witnesed by Charles N. Kiser and Alice Stapley (who signed her name with an X, as did Mary Eliza Irwin). All their children were born in Belleville, except for Gordon, who was born in Deseronto, Ontario. (R-1)
Children - Graves
5. Harry Clinton Graves (adopted), b. 3 July 1903, m. Margaret ------. Moved to U.S.
6. Elsie Mabel Graves, b. 16 Nov. 1907, m(1) John Norman, 7 Nov. 1933, m(2) Hubert Way, d. 8 July 1971. Bur. Belleville Cem. Hubert was b. 13 Feb. 1902, d. 18 March 1971, and was also bur. Belleville Cem.
7. Annie-Margaret Graves, b. 16 Nov. 1907, d. 27 Feb. 1908. Bur. Belleville Cem. Twin of Elsie.
8. Edward Daniel Graves, b. 16 March 1911, m. Dora Marshall, d. 3 Nov. 1977.
9. Sarah Graves, b. and d. 12 Sept. 1913 (stillborn). Bur. Belleville Cem., section R.
10. Mildred Irene Graves (adopted)
11. Thomas Albert Graves, b. 15 Jan. 1918, d. 17 May 1945 (Sicily, Italy, World War II).
12. Gordon James Graves, b. 17 June 1919, m. Leitha Fern, 21 June 1943 (Bartley, Peterboro, Ontario). Bur. Mt. Pleasant Cem., Toronto, Ontario.
13. Bertha Graves, b. 25 Dec. 1921, m. Oscar Henry Preston, 2 Dec. 1939. Bur. Belleville Cem., section R. He was b. 26 Feb. 1920, Wellington, Ontario.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page