Rev. 2 Oct. 2000, Gen. 298
DESCENDANTS OF CATHARINE GRAVES AND JOHN HAWTHORN
OF KY & IL
Catharine Graves (1) was born 15 March 1775, probably in KY, and died 12 March 1865 in Cass Co. or Menard Co., IL. She married John Hawthorn, son of John Hawthorn and Margaret Greene. He was born 8 Aug. 1775, probably in KY, and died 9 Sept. 1850 in Cass Co. or Menard Co., IL. They were both buried in Newmansville Cem. (sometimes known as Middlecreek Cem.), which is close to the line between the two counties.
In addition to John and Catharine Hawthorn, Newmansville Cem. contains the graves of Robert Hawthorn and his wife, Mary A., with her date of death 26 July 1872, aged 65 years. There are many Hawthorn marriages in the Cass Co. marriage records, but no clue to the parentage of John has been found, and no others seem to be buried in Cass Co.
According to the Mason Co. history, James Graves was the father of Catherine Graves. He was supposedly from Scotland. (R-1, R-2)
Children - Hawthorn
1a. James P. Hawthorn, m. Catherine Agnew.
1b. Margaret G. Hawthorn, m. David Wooldridge.
2. Robert G. Hawthorn, b. 25 Jan. (or Feb.) 1808, m. Mary A. Hufftlein, c. 1834, d. 21 Aug. 1874.
+3. Mary Patterson Hawthorn, b. 1810, m. Henry Beason Taylor, d. 9 Aug. 1908.
3a. John Lawrence Hawthorn, m. Evaline Goldsby.
4. Nancy Ellen Hawthorn (or Nancy Barker Hawthorn), m. Josiah Hurie, 6 Aug. 1846.
+5. Harvey Benjamin Hawthorn, b. 24 Feb. 1822, m(1) Elizabeth Ann Davenport, 2 Feb. 1847, m(2) Judith Jane (Turner) Strader, 16 Oct. 1860, d. 9 Sept. 1901.
6. Catherine Hawthorn, b.c. 1827 (KY), m. Saul (or Samuel) Ott.
CHILDREN OF CATHARINE GRAVES (1) AND JOHN HAWTHORN
Mary Patterson Hawthorn (3) was born in 1810 in Greensborough, Greene Co., KY, died 9 Aug. 1908 in DeWitt, Carroll Co., MO, and was buried in Cass Co., IL. She married Henry Beason Taylor, son of John Taylor and Barbara Beason. He was born 24 Jan. 1814 near Nashville, Davidson Co., TN, died near Chandlerville, Cass Co., IL, and was buried in Mt. Olive Cem., Cass Co. All their children were born in or near Chandlerville, IL. (R-1)
Children - Taylor
+7. Nancy Ellen Taylor, b. 11 June 1837, m. Charles Hamilton Anderson, 7 Nov. 1861, d. 26 June 1909.
8. Mary Catharine Taylor, b. 21 March 1840, m. Peter W. Rickard, 21 April 1859, d. 17 Dec. 1921. He was b. 26 Aug. 1823, d. 5 Aug. 1906.
9. Barbara M. J. Taylor, b. 12 June 1842, m. William Weaver, 31 Dec. 1862, d. 13 Dec. 1871.
10. John R. Taylor, m. Helen Weaver, 9 April 1868.
11. Henry Taylor, b. 17 Aug. 1852, m. Matilda Linn, 27 Dec. 1870.
Harvey Benjamin Hawthorn (5) was born 24 Feb. 1822 in Green Co., KY, and died 9 Sept. 1901 in Crane Creek (Walker's Grove), Mason Co., IL. He first married Elizabeth Ann Davenport on 2 Feb. 1847 in Mason Co., IL. He married second widow Judith Ann (Turner) Strader, daughter of Berry Turner and Susannah Strader, on 16 Oct. 1860 in Menard Co., IL. (R-2)
Children - Hawthorn
12. Laura Jane Hawthorn, m. William Christian Turner. His sister Judith later married Harvey Benjamin Davenport.
CHILDREN OF MARY P. HAWTHORN (3) AND HENRY B. TAYLOR
Nancy Ellen Taylor (7) was born 11 June 1837 in Chandlerville, Cass Co., IL, and died 26 June 1909 in Carroll Co., MO. She married Charles Hamilton Anderson, son of Henry Anderson and Nancy Ellen Crabtree, on 7 Nov. 1861 in Mason Co., IL, recorded in Cass Co., IL. He was born 2 Feb. 1833 in IN, and died 9 Sept. 1908 in Carroll Co., MO. They were both buried in Evergreen Cem., Carroll Co., MO. All their children were born in Chandlerville, Cass Co., IL, except the last one, who was born in Hamburg, Fremont Co., IA. (R-1)
Children - Anderson
13. James Hamilton Anderson, b. 11 Sept. 1862, never married, d. 3 Jan. 1929.
14. Effie Anderson, b. 30 June 1865, m. Charles William Winfrey, 26 July 1886, d. 4 Jan. 1940.
15. Richard Anderson, b. 5 May 1868, m. Susie Perry, 24 Oct. 1897.
+16. Mary Catharine Anderson, b. 7 June 1870, m. Daniel Henry Schofield, 2 Feb. 1904, d. 13 Dec. 1937.
17. Frank Anderson, b. 26 June 1872, m. Dora Viola Jones, 6 Sept. 1902, d. 9 Sept. 1940.
18. Nancy Ellen ("Ellie") Anderson, b. 16 Jan. 1877, m. Stephen Mitchell Calvert, 15 Nov. 1899, d. 6 Dec. 1957.
CHILDREN OF NANCY E. TAYLOR (7) AND CHARLES H. ANDERSON
Mary Catharine Anderson (16) was born 7 June 1870 in Cass Co., IL, and died 13 Dec. 1937 in Carrollton, MO. She married Daniel Henry Schofield, son of Daniel Henry Schofield and Margaret Darrah, on 2 Feb. 1904 at the bride's home in Carroll Co., MO. He was born 30 Oct. 1875 in Carroll Co., MO, and died 14 May 1959 in Union Co., IL. They were both buried in Evergreen Cem., Carroll Co., MO. After she died, Daniel secondly married Mary Clarissa (Brown) (Kennedy) Casebolt on 28 Sept. 1938. Both their children were born in Stover, Morgan Co., MO. (R-1)
Children - Scholfield
+19. John Daniel Schofield, b. 28 Feb. 1905, m. Lois Rae Bigger, 20 Dec. 1935.
20. James Ridpath Schofield, b. 25 Oct. 1906, m. Marguerite Richey, 4 Nov. 1939.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page