Rev. 22 May 2003, Gen. 499
DESCENDANTS OF FRANCES ELIZABETH GRAVES AND ROBERT JOHNSTON OF TRURO, NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA
Frances Elizabeth Graves (1) was born 21 June 1842 in Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada, and died 12 Aug. 1912 in Nova Scotia. Her family lived in Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. She married Robert ("Bob") Johnston in 1859 in Nova Scotia. He was born in 1830 in Black Point, Nova Scotia, Canada, and died in 1918 in Nova Scotia. He may have been a son of John Permillia Johnston (b. 1809) and Rebecca ‑‑‑‑‑‑ (b. 1812). He was a fisherman, a farmer, and a coaster. A coaster is someone who is in the sailing trade and may carry paying passengers up and down the coast. Robert was a baptist educated at St. Margaret’s School. They raised their family in Black Point, Halifax Co., NS. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children - Johnston
2. Charles Augustus Johnston, b. 16 July 1860. He was their first child. The note on the 1871 census says by the enumerater that “Charles is crippled.”
3. William Johnston, b. 1862.
+4. Howard Henry Johnston, b. 21 Dec. 1864, m. Minerva Ellen Baker, 25 June 1890, d. 4 March 1907.
5. Walter Johnston, b. 1868.
6. Ensley R. Johnston, b. 1871.
7. Annie Laura Johnston, b. 14 June 1874, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Drysdale, d. 1 Feb. 1940 (Halifax).
8. Sydney Allan Johnston, b. 19 Sept. 1876, m. Adela Bertha Faber, 22 April 1897 (Halifax City), d. 24 Sept. 1966 (Halifax). She was b. in 1875 in Halifax City.
9. Francis Johnston, b. 1878.
10. Granville Johnston, b. May 1881.
11. Robert E. Johnston, b. March 1871. Died and bur. in Nova Scotia. Worked as a deck hand at Dartmouth Ferry Docks.
CHILDREN OF FRANCES E. GRAVES (1) AND ROBERT JOHNSTON
Howard Henry Johnston (4) was born 21 Dec. 1864 in Black Point, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and died 4 March 1907 in Toronto Hosp., Toronto, York Co., Canada. His body was shipped home to Halifax, Nova Scotia, for burial. He married Minerva Ellen Baker, daughter of John Baker (b. 1830) and Isabel Grant, on 25 June 1890 in Halifax. She was born 13 Dec. 1869 in rural Nova Scotia, died 5 March 1951 in Alton, and was buried in Alton Caledon Peel. She was a housewife.
They were living in Halifax, Ward 5 District 33, in 1890. Henry was listed as 26 and Minerva as 21 years old. They moved from Halifax to Alton. Henry’s death notice states that he belonged to ATOL #15 Lodge of the Masonic Temple and his body was shipped home to Halifax paid for by the Masons. (R‑2)
Children – Johnston
+12. William Henry Johnston, b. 1 Jan. 1892, m. Anne May Klatt, 23 Dec. 1915, d. 20 Jan. 1978.
+13. Howard Ensley Johnston, b. 28 June 1893, m. Selena Sarah Cummings, 23 April 1919, d. 11 April 1968.
+14. Allan Aubrey Johnston, b. 13 Sept. 1898, m. Florence Ethel Eva McCleelan, 4 Sept. 1939, d. 19 Oct. 1977.
+15. Russell Edgar Johnston, b. 15 July 1900, m. Gladys May Roberts, 18 Oct. 1922, d. 8 Jan. 1968.
Reference R‑2 is Brent and Heather Johnston, 37 Enzo Crescent, Uxbridge, ON L9P 1M3, Canada, email email@example.com. She would like to hear from anyone with information about this genealogy.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page