Rev. 6 July 2015, Gen. 533
DESCENDANTS OF CHARLES WILLIAM GRAVES AND LAURA MASTERS OF VA, TX AND OK
Charles William Graves (1), called Charley, was born 31 March 1850 in VA. He married Laura Masters, daughter of Rev. John Rufus Masters and Charlotte Wimberley, on 24 Dec. 1884 in Lynn Creek, Jack Co., TX. She was born 18 Dec. 1865 in Jacksboro, Jack Co., TX, and died 22 July 1954 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. They were in the 1900 census for Township 4, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory, with him listed as C. M. Graves, farmer, and his brother-in-law E. A. Masters living with them.
It is possible that Charles William Graves was the youngest child of Joshua Graves and Elizabeth (possibly Henderson) of genealogy 126. That couple had a W.C. Graves, age 20, living with them in 1870 census for Buffalo, Brooke Co., WV. W. C. could have been William Charles Graves, and it would not have been unusual for him to have swiched the order of his given names to Charles William Graves. It is also possible that this W. C. Graves was the child called William Davis in the 1860 census for Pease, Belmont Co., OH. However, the evidence is not strong enough at this time to put Charles William Graves in that genealogy. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
+2. John Christian Graves, b. 2 July 1886, m. Julia Christina Turner, 6 April 1907, d. before 1978.
+3. Lottie Ann Graves, b. 31 March 1888, m. Paul Thomas Shirley, c. 1908, d. 28 Feb. 1947.
4. Maggie Graves, b. 3 July 1890 (TX).
+5. Roy William Graves, b. 7 Aug. 1892, m. Rosalie Christina Haak, 1912, d. 22 June 1986.
+6. Dora Ellen Graves, b. 17 March 1895, m. Melbourne Hamar Green, d. 17 Feb. 1982.
7. Martha Ellen Graves, b. 27 Jan. 1897, d. 6 Dec. 1897.
CHILDREN OF CHARLES W. GRAVES (1) AND LAURA MASTERS
John Christian Graves (2) was born 2 July 1886 in TX, and died before 1978 in OK. He married Julia Christina Turner, daughter of Samuel M. Turner and Effie Teresa Wade, on 6 April 1907 in Bexar Co., TX. She was born 23 July 1888 in TX, and died 6 Feb. 1978 in Rogers Co., OK.
They were in the 1920 census for Ada, Pontotoc Co., OK, when he managed his own shop, and his widowed father was living with them. He was also enumerated in the 1920 census for Oklahoma City, OK, as a lodger in a hotel, occupation of advertising manager, with his brother Roy W. Graves, sign painter. In both listings, his father was reported as born in WV and his mother in TX. They were in the 1930 census for Tulsa, Tulsa Co., OK, with his occupation as sign painter. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
8. Christina Graves, b. 14 Nov. 1909 (San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX), d. 23 Nov. 2006 (Tulsa, OK).
9. Clifford W. Graves, b. 20 Aug. 1911 (TX), d. 12 Sept. 1976 (Yountville, Napa Co., CA).
10. Ray Graves, b.c. 1914 (TX).
11. Lucille Graves, b.c. 1917 (TX).
12. Louise Graves, b. 2 Nov. 1919 (Ada, OK), m. Robert Alfred Benfer, d. 21 Sept. 2008 (San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX). He was b. 8 Aug. 1918 and d. 26 March 2014, both in San Antonio, TX, son of Alfred A. Benfer and Lonie Emma Mergele. 2 sons and 1 dau.
13. John C. Graves, b.c. 1923 (OK).
Lottie Ann Graves (3) was born 31 March 1888 in TX, and died 28 Feb. 1947 in Los Angeles, CA. She married Paul Thomas Shirley about 1908. He was born 25 June 1880 in NE, and died 6 April 1958 in Los Angeles, CA. They were in the 1910 census for Las Vegas, Clark Co., NV. They were in the 1920 census for Colton, San Bernardino Co., CA. They were in the 1930 census for Los Angeles, CA, with her widowed mother living with them. He worked for the railroad, and was a locomotive fireman in 1920. He was an insurance salesman in 1930. All their children were born in CA. (R‑1)
Children – Shirley
15. Paul Thomas Shirley, Jr., b. 7 Oct. 1910, married 3 times, d. 14 April 1969 (Walla Walla, WA).
16. Jewel Violet Shirley, b. 29 Sept. 1917, d. 30 Jan. 1980 (Portland, OR).
17. Arthur W. Shirley, b.c. 1920.
19. Patrick W. Shirley, b.c. 1925.
Roy William Graves (5) was born 7 Aug. 1892 in OK, and died 18 Dec. 1952 in Harris Co., TX. He married Rosalie Christina Haak, daughter of John G. Haak and Julia Wolsa, in 1912 in San Antonio, TX. She was born 3 Feb. 1893 in Cat Springs, Austin Co., TX, and died 22 June 1986 in Muskegon, Muskegon Co., MI. They were in the 1920 census for Ardmore, Carter Co., OK, living with the family of her aunt and uncle Jessie A. and Dora Clark. They were in the 1930 census for Houston, Harris Co., TX. He was a sign painter in 1920, and superintendent of an advertising company in 1930. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
20. Roy W. Graves, b.c. 1916 (OK).
21. Charles W. Graves, b.c. 1919 (TX).
22. Marshall W. Graves, b.c. 1921 (OK).
Dora Ellen Graves (6) was born 17 March 1895 in TX, and died 17 March 1982 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. She married Melbourne Hamar Green, son of James L. Green and Margaret (“Maggie”) Lee. He was born 22 Oct. 1894 in Hearne, TX, and died 26 May 1940 in Houston, Harris Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children - Green
23. Carol V. Green, b.c. 1927 (TX).
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page