Rev. 2 April 2015, Gen. 636
DESCENDANTS OF PARENTS OF ALFRED GRAVES AND EMILY ------
OF NC, VA & OH
‑‑‑‑‑‑ Graves (1) married ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were slaves and lived in Virginia, probably Danville. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. Alfred Graves, b. May 1844 (or 11 Oct. 1843), m. Evelina Garland, 22 July 1867, d. 12 May 1931.
3. William Graves; lived in Baltimore, MD, and had 22 children. This might be the William Graves, b.c. 1839, who m. Susan, and was in the 1880 census for Yanceyville village, Caswell Co., NC, and the 1900 census for Danville, VA. No record of him in Baltimore, MD, has yet been found. Living close to this William Graves in Yanceyville was Squire Graves, b.c. 1840, wife Sarah, and children. Could that be another brother?
4. Gabriel Graves; probably the Gabriel Graves, b.c. 1841, who m. Millie, and was in the 1880 census for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC. See genealogy 22.
CHILDREN OF ------ GRAVES (1)
Alfred G. Graves (2) was born in May 1844 (or 11 Oct. 1843 in Cambridge, Dorchester Co., MD, died 12 May 1931 in Middletown, Butler Co., OH, and was buried in Middletown Historical Pioneer Cem., Middletown, OH. Census records of 1870 show him born in MD, 1880 shows NC, and 1900 shows VA. He married Evelina (or Emily) (“Emma”) Garland, daughter of Hager [female] Garland, on 22 July 1867 in Caswell Co., NC in a ceremony performed by S. G. Mason, witness H. F. Brandon, Clerk. She was born in Jan. 1850 in NC according to the 1900 census (or 10 July 1854), died 27 Jan. 1947 in Middletown, OH, and was buried in Woodside Cem., Middletown, OH. They were born as slaves. According to family recollection, they had 13 children, but only 9 names are known. They were in the 1870 and 1880 censuses for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC. In 1870, they were living next to his brothers Orange and Gabriel, and his father James. Living with them in 1870 were Eliza Graves, 1, and Luanna Graves, 6; it is not known whose children these were, but Eliza was probably theirs. In 1880, Sam C. Graves, 24, black, and B. Graves, 59, white, were living next to them. (B. Graves was probably Barzillai Graves, b. 14 Dec. 1820, son of Jeremiah Graves, in gen. 270.) Alfred and Emma were in the 1900 census for Tunstall District, Pittsylvania Co., VA, when 8 of their 15 children were living, and grandson Richmond Brown (b. Jan. 1898 in VA) was living with them. Alfred was a preacher. All their children were born in NC. They were also recorded on the 1910 census in Danville, VA. In 1910, Emma stated that seven of her 15 children were living. In 1920 and 1930, Alfred and Emma were recorded on the censuses in Middletown, OH. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
3. Eliza Graves, b.c. 1869, d. before 1900.
4. Emily Graves, b.c. 1871, d. before 1900.
5. Elizabeth (“Lizzie”) Graves, b. May 1876.
6. Albert Graves, Jr., b.c. 1877, d. before 1900.
+7. William Paris (or Parrish) Graves, b. 12 Oct. 1879, m(1) Mattie Martin, m(2) Lena Cash, d. 3 Aug. 1973.
8. Caroline (“Carrie”) Graves, b. July 1880.
+9. Leatha A. Graves, b. May 1883, m. James Allen Johnson, c. 1904, d. 14 Feb. 1962.
10. James Graves, d. before 1900.
11. Mattie L. Graves, b. Sept. 1888.
12. Sam Ella Graves (daughter), b. May 1890.
13. Robert Graves, b. Oct. 1891.
14. Lillie Rachel Graves, b. Nov. 1893.
CHILDREN OF ALFRED GRAVES (2) AND EMMA ‑‑‑‑‑‑
William Paris (or Parrish) Graves (7) was born 12 Oct. 1879 in NC, and died 3 Aug. 1973 in Middletown, Butler Co., OH. He first married Mattie Martin (or Marting). She died before the 1920 census, since William and his 3 children were living with his parents in Middletown in 1920. Their children were born in WV.
He married second Lena Cash. Lena was born about 1905 in AL, and died 28 Nov. 1965 in Middletown, OH. This family was recorded on the 1930 and 1940 censuses in Middletown, OH; their children were born in OH. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
15. Alice Graves, b. 12 Sept. 1913 (Welch, McDowell Co., WV), d. 24 May 1930 (Butler Co., OH). Bur. Middletown Historical Pioneer Cem.
16. Rachel L. Graves, b. 4 Oct. 1915, m. Willie Campbell, d. 18 May 1986 (Butler Co., OH). Five children.
17. William Graves, b.c. 1917.
Children - Graves, by Lena Cash
18. Iola Graves, b. 11 March 1923, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Gregory, d. 13 Dec. 2004 (Middletown, OH).
19. Beulah Lee Graves, b.c. 1925, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 1998 (FL).
20. Pauline Graves, b. 4 Jan. 1927.
Leatha A. Graves (9) was born in May 1883 in NC, and died 14 Feb. 1962 in Middletown, Butler Co., OH. She married James Allen Johnson about 1904. He was born about 1877 in KY.
They were in the 1910 census for Lemon, Butler Co., OH, when he was working as a driver for an express company. They were in the 1920 census for Middletown, Butler Co., OH, with all 3 of their children, when he was a glass washer in a rolling mill. They were in the 1930 census for Middletown, Butler Co., OH, with none of their children, when he was a garbage collector. All their children were born in OH. One of their great-grandchildren was Angela McCloe.
Children – Johnson
21. Iola M. Johnson, b.c. 1906.
22. Mable G. Johnson, b.c. 1909.
23. Jessie Johnson, b.c. 1913.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 Both birth and death dates and middle initial are from his cemetery memorial.
 Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-2007, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 Her name was recorded as Evelina Graves on her marriage record. The 1880 census gave her name as Emily, and the 1870, 1900, 1920, and 1930 censuses gave Emma.
 “North Carolina, Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868, as posted on Ancestry.com, gave bond date as 20 July 1867 and marriage date as 22 July 1867.
 The SSDI shows his birth date as 10 Oct. 1880.
 Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-2007, certificate 058583, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-2007, certificate 81034, as posted on Ancestry.com.