Rev. 18 Dec. 2006, Gen. 839
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES AND EMMA WALL OF LA & MS
John Graves (1) may have been born about 1838. He married married Emma Wall. She may have been born about 1838. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. John Rankin Graves, b.c. 1860, m(1) Nancy Agnes Grantham, 19 Dec. 1895, m(2) Mary Ella Grantham, c. 1904, d. 10 April 1925.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1) AND EMMA WALL
John Rankin Graves (2) was born about 1858 or in Nov. 1862 in MS or LA, died 10 April 1925 in Kentwood, Tangipahoa Co., LA, and was buried in Acys Creek Church Cem., Washington Parish, LA. He first married Nancy Agnes Grantham, daughter of John Grantham and Agnes G. McLemore, on 19 Dec. 1895. She was born in Dec. 1880 (or 12 June 1880) in MS, and may have died in 1967. He married second Mary Ella Grantham, daughter of John Grantham and Agnes G. McLemore, about 1904. She was born 10 April 1887 in Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR, died 13 Aug. 1975 in Bogalusa, Washington Parish, LA, and was buried in Acys Creek Church Cem., Washington Parish, LA. John and Nancy were in the 1900 census for Steen Creek, Rankin Co., MS, with daughter Annabell, 2, living very close to her parents John and Agnes Grantham. John and Ella were in the 1910 census for Tammany Parish, LA, with children Mabel and Minibel. He was a merchant in 1900 and a farm laborer in 1910. The family has not been found in 1920. In the 1930 census for Washington Parish, LA, Mary Ella had remarried to Monroe Spears, and the children were all living in the household, listed as step-children of Monroe. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children - Graves, by Nancy A. Grantham
3. Dan T. Graves, b.c. 1896, d. 1896 (?).
4. AnneBelle (or Annabell) Graves, b. March 1898.
5. Fred Graves, b.c. 1898, d.c. 1898 (?).
Children - Graves, by Mary Ella Grantham
+6. Mabel Graves, b.c. 1907, m(1) Luther Emerich Britt, m(2) John Edward McClendon, d. 1930.
7. Minnie Bell Graves, b.c. 1909, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Christ, d. 15 Nov. 1990.
8. John Charles Graves, b. 10 Oct. 1910, m. Bertie Temples, 13 Nov. 1930, d. 25 Feb. 1982.
9. Obed (“Obie”) Graves, b.c. 1912.
10. Otis Graves, b.c. 1915.
11. Ray Losey Graves, b.c. 1916. Not in the 1930 census.
12. Charles (“Charlie”) Graves, b.c. 1918.
13. Carrie Mae Graves, b.c. 1920, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Spiers, d. 1991.
14. Allie Graves, b.c. 1922, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Winbourne, d. 1965.
15. Rodney Graves, b.c. 1924, d. 1984.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 The 1900 census gives his birth as Nov. 1862 in MS, and the 1910 census indicates about 1858 in LA. R‑3 gives his place of birth as Warneton, Washington Parish, LA.
 The 1900 census gives her date of birth as Dec. 1880, and R‑2 gives it as 12 June 1880.
 Did this first marriage end in divorce, or is her date of death wrong?
 Marriage date is from the 1900 census.
 R‑2 gives her place of burial as Acys Creek Church Cem., but R‑3 gives it as Nobles Cem., Pine, LA.