Rev. 11 March 2012, Gen. 878
DESCENDANTS OF CHARLES J. GRAVES AND SARAH R. TRUSTY OF KS
Charles J. Graves (1) was born 19 July 1849 at sea (recorded on all censuses as born in NY), and died 24 Jan. 1928 at Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS. He married Sarah R. Trusty, daughter of Benjamin Foley Trusty and Emily Ray, on 19 Dec. 1869. She was born 5 March 1855 in Quincy, Adams Co., IL, and died 22 Jan. 1924 in Fort Scott, KS. They were both buried in Fort Scott, KS.
According to multiple submitted genealogies on Ancestry.com, Charles was a son of George W. Graves and Mary Ann Green. However, no census records have been found to support this. It looks much more likely that he was a son of Israel Graves (b.c. 1818 in NY) and Theresa ‑‑‑‑‑‑, who settled in Sparta, Monroe Co., WI, descended from John Graves of Concord, MA (genealogy 166).
From The Fort Scott Daily Tribune-Monitor, Monday, Jan. 23, 1928.
CHARLES J. GRAVES, a highly esteemed resident of Fort Scott for 65 years, passed away at 3:40 o’clock this morning at the home of his son, William Graves, 722 West Fifth Street. He suffered with an infected gallbladder and had been seriously ill for six weeks, being too weak for an operation.
Mr. Graves was aged 78 years, 6 months and 4 days. He was born on a boat on the Atlantic Ocean, his parents being enroute to New York, July 19, 1849.
He married Sarah R. Trusty, Dec. 19, 1869. She died four years ago. They settled on a farm near Marmaton 55 years ago, later moving to Fort Scott. He was a member of the Baptist Church.
He leaves the following children: Mrs. Etta Edgar, Mrs. Gertie Runkle, Mrs. Hattie Hood, Mrs. Maud Cawthorne, Charles Graves, Mrs. M. M. Merrell and William Graves, all of Fort Scott.
The funeral will be held at the Baptist Church, Wednesday afternoon, at two o’clock, conducted by the Rev. H. A. Bolle. Burial will be in the Oak Grove Cemetery.
Thursday, Jan. 28, 1928.
Charles J. Graves’ Rites: Many attended services at Baptist Church yesterday. Burial in Oak Grove Cemetery
Many sympathizing friends attended the funeral of Charles J. Graves, at 2 p.m. yesterday at the Baptist Church. There was a large array of floral offerings, including a family pillow marked “Father”, and a design marked “Grandfather” besides pieces from church organizations.
The Rev. H. A. Bolle preached a fitting sermon from Matthew: 24:42: “Watch ye therefore, for ye know not the hour that the Son of Man cometh.” He extolled the Christian life of Mr. Graves, his devotion to family and all responsibilities.
Beautiful Isle, No Night There, and Old Rugged Cross were sung by Frank Harpold, Mrs. G. S. Newberry, Earl Konantz and Mrs. C. Z. Miller; Mrs. H. B. Bailey, accompanist.
The burial was in Oak Grove Cemetery. The pallbearers were George Edgar, Bill Thurman, Ben Babbitt, Ed Lynn, Bob Scott, and Mr. McBride.
They were in the 1880 census for Marmaton, Bourbon Co., KS. They were in the 1900 census for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS, when 7 of their 12 children were still living. They were in the 1920 census for Fort Scott, KS. The 1880 census showed both his parents born in NY, and the 1900 census showed his father born in VA and his mother in PA. The 1880 census showed both her parents born in IL, and the 1900 census showed both born in TN. He was a laborer. All their children were born in KS, at least Sarah through Hattie in Marmaton, Bourbon Co., Maud through Daisy in Scott City, Scott Co., and William in Fort Scott, Bourbon Co. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
2. Henry Franklin Graves, d. 25 Aug. 1891 (Marmaton, Bourbon Co., KS).
3. Mary Ann Graves, b.c. 1873, d. 25 April 1895 (Marmaton, Bourbon Co., KS).
4. Sarah Elizabeth Graves, b. June 1870, d. 3 Aug. 1870 (Marmaton, KS).
5. George Washington Graves, b. Feb. 1874, d. 6 April 1874 (Marmaton, KS).
6. David Graves. b. Feb. 1875, d. 7 April 1875 (Marmaton, KS).
+7. Clara Etta Graves, b. April 1877, m. Joseph D. Edgar, c. 1893, d. 22 June 1935.
+8. Delia Gertrude Graves, b. 8 Feb. 1880, m. James U. Runkles, c. 1898, d. 7 Sept. 1956.
+9. Hattie Estelle Graves, b. 30 Sept. 1882, m. Arch Hood, c. 1898, d. 30 Sept. 1968.
10. Maud May Graves, b. 21 April 1885, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Cawthorne, d. 26 March 1954 (Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS).
11. Charles Niles Graves, b. 13 Sept. 1888, d. 18 Sept. 1932 (Scott City, Scott Co., KS).
12. Daisy Ethel Graves, b. 1 May 1892, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Merrell, d. 12 Dec. 1983 (Southgate, CA).
+13. William Albert Graves, b. Jan. 1895 (or 8 Jan. 1899), m. Renna ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1914, d. 15 Jan. 1968 (Fort Scott, KS)..
CHILDREN OF CHARLES J. GRAVES (1) AND SARAH R. TRUSTY
Clara Etta Graves (4) was born in April 1877 in KS, and died 22 June 1935 in Scott City, Scott Co., KS.. She married Joseph D. Edgar, son of Charles Richard Edgar and Lucinda Winklepeck, about 1893. He was born in June 1871 in KS. They were in the 1900 census for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS, when he was a teamster. Their children were born in KS.
Children - Edgar
14. Bessie May Edgar, b. 11 Feb. 1895 (?) (Scott City, KS), d. 6 Sept. 1895 (Scott City, KS).
15. Charles Franklin Edgar, b. 26 July 1895 (?) (Scott City, KS), d. 21 Aug. 1895 (Scott City, KS).
16. Samuel Alexander Edgar, b. Dec. 1896 (KS), d. 20 April 1962 (Scott City, KS).
17. Sarah Lucinda Edgar, b. 6 May 1900 (Scott City, KS), d. 28 Jan. 1990 (Scott City, KS).
18. Annie Lee Edgar, b.c. 1903 (KS), d. Feb. 1983.
19. Hazel Lucille Edgar, b.c. 1907 (KS), d. 3 Aug. 1925 (Slater, Saline Co., MO).
20. Edith Marie Edgar, b. 18 Sept. 1912 (Slater, Saline Co., MO), d. 13 June 1992 (Scott City, Scott Co., KS).
Delia Gertie Graves (8) was born in Feb. 1880 in KS. She married James U. Runkles about 1898. He was born in June 1870 in KS. They were in the 1900 census for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS, living with her parents, when he was a telephone lineman. She was in the 1920 census for Fort Scott, KS, widowed, working as a laundress.
Children - Runkles
21. James D. Runkles, b. Aug. 1898.
22. Pearl E. Runkles, b. Dec. 1899.
23. Robert F. Runkles, b.c. 1905.
24. Jessie Gladys Runkles, b.c. 1914.
25. William Leslie Runkles, b.c. Aug. 1916.
Hattie Estelle Graves (9) was born 30 Sept. 1882 (or April 1883 or 30 Sept. 1881) in Marmaton, Bourbon Co., KS, and died 30 Sept. 1968 in Scott City, Scott Co., KS. She married Arch (or Archie) Hood about 1898. He was born about 1880 in KS. They were in the 1880 census for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS, twice, once living alone and once living with his parents, George and Nancy Hood. They were in the 1920 census for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS, when he was a brick mason in a brick plant. (R‑2)
Children - Hood
26. Raymond Hood, b.c. 1905.
27. Newman Hood, b.c. 1909.
28. Lawrence Hood, b.c. 1911.
29. Lovenia Hood, b.c. Sept. 1915.
30. Laveon Hood, b.c. Aug. 1918.
William (“Willie”) Albert Graves (13) was born in Jan. 1895 (or 8 Jan. 1899) in KS. He married Renna ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1914. She was born about 1897 in KS. They were in the 1920 and 1930 censuses for Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS. He was a salesman in a grocery store. All their children were born in KS, at least the first 3 children in Fort Scott, and the others probably there also. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+31. Bertha Opal Graves, b. 23 March 1915, m. Alvin B. Gray.
32. Leota Marguerite Graves, b.c. 1917. d. after 1930. Bur. Ft. Scott, KS.
+33. Louis Herbert Graves, b. 16 April 1919, m. Idella ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 30 May 1990.
34. Winlin Graves, b.c. 1922.
+35. William Allen Graves, b. 26 Sept. 1924, m. Inez ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 17 Sept. 1994.
36. Gwendolyn (“Toots”) Graves, m. Earl Smith. He died before 2000.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page