Rev. 6 April 2012, Gen. 894
DESCENDANTS OF BENJAMIN GRAVE AND MARGARET DAWSON OF LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
Benjamin Grave (1) was born about 1785 in Grasmere, Westmoreland, England, and died in Dec. 1848 in Lancashire. He married Margaret Dawson on 10 Dec. 1808 in Hawkshead, Lancashire. She was born about 1791 in Lancashire, and died in April 1847 in Cockermouth, Cumberland. They were in the 1841 census for Oxenfell, Hawkshead, Lancashire, with all their children except Hannah (who may have recently married), and labourer Edward Mawson. Margaret was in the 1851 census for Hawkshead, so her husband may have died by then. All their children were born in Lancashire, probably all in Hawkshead. (R‑2)
Children - Grave
+2. William Grave, b.c. 1814, m. Hannah ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
3. Benjamin Grave, b.c. 1816, m. Jane Grave. She was b.c. 1821 in Greystock, Cumberland. In the 1851 census for 31 Hall Garth, Church Coniston, Lancashire, no children, with his brother John living with them.
+4. Hannah Grave, b.c. 1820, m. Joseph Oxley, d. 31 March 1876.
+5. Dinah Grave, b.c. 1823, m. Edward Mawson, 10 July 1841 (Hawkshead, Lancs.), d. Jan. 1896. He was b.c. 1817 in Lancashire.
+6. George Grave, b. 6 March 1826, m. Martha Hudson, c. 1855.
7. Daniel Grave, b. 2 Nov. 1828, m. Sarah Grave, d. April 1901. She was b.c. 1826 in Kirkby, Lancashire.
8. Joseph Grave, b. 17 March 1831, m. Elizabeth Gilmer. She was b.c. 1835 in Whitehaven, Cumberland, and d. in June 1917 in Carlisle, Cumberland. In 1861 census for Ambleside Below Stock, Westmorland, with no children, and niece Sarah Grave, 19, living with them.
9. Mary Grave, b. 19 Jan. 1834.
10. James Grave, b. 5 Nov. 1837, m. Margaret Youdell, 5 Dec. 1863, d. 1917. She was b.c. 1834 in Langdale, Westmorland, and d. 1917 in Kendal District.
11. John Grave, b.c. 1842. Living with his brother Benjamin in 1851.
CHILDREN OF BENJAMIN GRAVE (1) AND MARGARET DAWSON
William Grave (2) was born about 1814 in Hall Garth, Church Coniston (or in Oxenfell or Hawkshead), Lancashire. He married Hannah ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1819 in Langdale, Cumbria. They were in the 1841 and 1851 censuses for Hawkshead. He was an agricultural labourer in 1841, and a slate quarryman in 1851 (when they were living next to his mother). It appears that he married second Elizabeth ‑‑‑‑‑‑, since he was in the 1861 and 1871 censuses for Church Coniston, Lancashire, with her. His children by his first marriage have not been found in 1861 or later.
Children - Grave, by Hannah ------
12. Dinah Grave, b.c. 1839.
13. Ann Grave, b.c. 1842.
14. Margaret Grave, b.c. 1847.
15. Benjamin Grave, b.c. 1850.
Children - Grave, by Elizabeth ------
16. Elizabeth Grave, b.c. 1859.
17. Benjamin Grave, b.c. 1859.
Hannah Grave (4) was born about 1820 in Hawkshead, Lancashire, and died 31 March 1876 at 1 Whetley Terrace, Manningham, Bradford, Yorkshire. She married Joseph Oxley, son of John Thomas Oxley and Phoebe Goodall. He was born about 1824 in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and died 10 Nov. 1871 in Yorkshire. Their first 2 children were born in Hawkshead, Lancashire, the next in Leeds, Yorkshire, the next in Dewsbury, All Saints, Yorkshire, the next in Bradford, Yorkshire, the next in Manningham, Yorkshire, and the last 4 in Bradford. (R‑2)
Children - Oxley
18. Joseph Oxley, b.c. 1843, d. July 1877 (Barton Upon Irwell, Lancs.).
19. Phoebe Oxley, b. 15 Sept. 1844, d. Sept. 1911 (Barton Upon Irwell, Lancs.).
20. Margaret Oxley, b. 10 Nov. 1845.
21. Jonathan Oxley, b. 15 Sept. 1847.
22. John Benjamin Oxley, b. 23 April 1849, d. 22 Dec. 1908 (Yorkshire).
23. Hannah Maria Oxley, b. Jan. 1851.
24. Mary Oxley, b.c. 1852, d. Jan. 1889 (Yorkshire).
25. William Henry Oxley, b. Oct. 1853, d. 24 March 1915 (Yorkshire).
26. Isaac Oxley, b. July 1855, d. Oct. 1914 (London).
27. Frederick Oxley, b. March 1857, d. 18 March 1892 (Yorkshire).
Dinah Grave (5) was born about 1823 in Coniston or Hawkshead, Lancashire. She married Edward Mawson (or Mowson). He was born about 1817 in Millam, Cumberland. They were in the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Hawkshead and Monk Coniston with Skelwith, Lancashire. He was a farmer.
Children - Mawson
28. John Mawson, b.c. 1842 (Langdale, Westmorland).
29. James Mawson, b.c. 1848 (Oxenfell, Lancs.).
George Grave (6) was born about 1825, and was baptized about 1829 in Oxenfell or Skelwith Hawkeshead of Grasmere, Lancashire. He married Martha Hudson, probably about 1855. She was born about 1833-1834 in Springfield or Penrith, Cumberland. The family moved from Langdale in the Lake District (where they farmed) to the Fylde, and then to Blackburn/Accrington/Darwen, East Lancashire, England, about 1867, where they were butchers and/or landlords of various public houses. Their 7 sons and 5 daughters were born between 1856 and 1875. They changed their surname from Grave to Greaves when they moved from Langdale.
They were in the 1861 census for Hawkshead and Monk Coniston with Skelwith, Lancashire, with their surname spelled Graves. They were in the 1871 census for Bispham and Norbreck, Lancashire. They were in the 1891 census for Accrington, Lancashire, when only their last 4 children were at home, and all family members were listed as born in Accrington. He was a farmer of 72 acres in 1861, an innkeeper in 1871, and a general labourer in 1891. (R‑1)
Children - Greaves
30. Anne Greaves, b.c. 1856 (Hawkshead. Lancs.).
31. Benjamin Greaves, b.c. 1858 (Monk Coniston, Lancs.).
32. Elizabeth Greaves, b.c. 1859 (Monk Coniston, Lancs.).
33. George Henry Greaves, b.c. 1861 (Monk Coniston, Lancs.).
34. Richard Greaves, b.c. 1863 (Coniston, Lancs.).
35. Charlotte Greaves, b. 1865 (Coniston, Lancs.).
36. Martha Emily Greaves, b. 1867 (Singleton, Lancs.).
37. Alfred Greaves, b. 1868 (Singleton, Lancs.).
38. William Andrew Greaves, b. 1869 (Bispham, Blackpool, Fylde, Lancashire).
39. Fanny Greaves, b. 1871 (Bispham, Lancs.).
40. James Greaves, b. 1873 (Bispham, Lancs.).
41. Freddy Greaves, b. 1875 (Bispham, Lancs.).
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page