Rev. 1 May 2007, Gen. 956
DESCENDANTS OF BENJAMIN GRAVES AND MARY ------ OF LOUDOUN CO., VA & PERRY CO., OH
Benjamin Graves (1) was born about 1815, possibly in VA but more likely in the part of Washington, DC that had been MD. He married Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1817 in VA. They were in the 1850 census for Loudoun Co., VA, with Benjamin, 33, Mary, 31, Delia, 9, John, 12, Mary, 7, James, 5, and Margaret, 3, all born in VA. They were in the 1860 census for Madison, Perry Co., OH, with Benjamin, 46, Mary, 44, Ann, 19, Mary, 17, James, 16, Margaret, 14, Cornelia, 7, John, 22, and Mary, 21, with all born in VA except for Benjamin born in MD. Benjamin was a shoemaker.
Children – Graves
2. John Graves, b.c. 1838, m. Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were living with his family in the 1860 census. She was b.c. 1839 in OH. They have not been found in the 1870 or 1880 censuses; perhaps he died in the Civil War.
3. Delia (or Ann) Graves, b.c. 1841, never married, d. after 1910. She was living with her widowed sister Mary in the 1910 census for Somerset, Reading Twp., Perry Co., OH.
4. Mary A. Graves, b.c. 1843, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ McCarty. She was listed as a widow in the 1910 census for Somerset, Reading Twp., Perry Co., OH.
+5. James W. Graves, b. March 1844, m. Catharine ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1875.
6. Margaret Graves, b.c. 1846.
7. Cornelia Graves, b.c. 1853.
CHILDREN OF BENJAMIN GRAVES (1) AND MARY ------
James W. Graves (5) was born in March 1844 in VA. He married Catharine (or Kathryn) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1875. She was born about 18554 in OH. They were both buried in Rushville, Fairfield Co., OH (almost on the line with Perry Co.). They were in the 1880 and 1900 censuses for Somerset, Perry Co., OH, with all 4 of their children still living. James was a shoemaker in 1880 and a salesman in 1900. He is said to have been injured in the Civil War fighting for the Union Army, and his injuries may have contributed to an early death. All their children were born in OH. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
8. Maggie Graves, b.c. 1876.
9. George Graves, b. July 1877.
+10. John F. Graves, b. Feb. 1882, m. Verla L. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1914.
11. Bertha H. (or Beula A.) Graves, b. July 1891.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 In addition to the 1860 census listing his place of birth as MD, DC, the 1910 census for his daughters Mary and Delia also gave his place of birth as MD, DC.